watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: RIP Val Doonican

Started by Logicalman, July 02, 2015, 12:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

For the golden oldies in our ranks, he will always be one of those that were one of our mothers' favorite singers. Great singer, and always have abiding memories of his singing in his rocking chair.

RIP sir.

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Lighthouse

Walk tall and look the world right in the eye. Saturday nights peak time viewing. Seemed to go on forever. Rocking chair and a guitar and a pullover. Attracted the big stars at the time onto his show too.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

RaySmith

He was a huge star for years, then suddenly disappeared from our TV screens.

Someone easy to sneer at when young, but now I feel sad to hear of his passing.

RIP big man

Fulham Tup North

Sorry to see he has died.  (Thought he had already passed to be fair).
As said before, Saturday nights growing up and he was a regular screen filler.
RIP
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Andy S

Condolences to all his family and friends. Never any scandal just a nice guy

bog

Always came across as a nice man. RIP

092.gif

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: RaySmith on July 02, 2015, 01:09:28 PM
He was a huge star for years, then suddenly disappeared from our TV screens.

Someone easy to sneer at when young, but now I feel sad to hear of his passing.

RIP big man

My feelings exactly.

dgnffc

Another bit of my past has gone; his 'Walk Tall' was the first record I ever bought.

ron

He lived in Knotty Green, near Beaconsfield, fairly close to me. I met him in a clock sellers and repairers shop in Penn, where I did a tremendous 'double take' on him when I realised who the bloke next to me was. He was obviously used to it happening, because we passed a few pleasant words before leaving. A thoroughly nice man, and modest with it.  Sad that he's gone.

Fernhurst

RIP Val ......... Thoroughly decent bloke in a time period where (as we are finding out) the BBC was populated with some debauched individuals.

Although I was rarely in, a huge favourite on Saturday night TV.
Will always remember him as a warm comfortable presence.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Egham White

Meeting celebrities unexpectedly reminds me of the time I was working at Hounslow as a betting office manager . I was just coming back from the bank when this guy stopped me and asked for directions to Hounslow West tube station which I duly obliged him with but only just managed to refrain the temptation to say ' there's more' which was his catchphrase at the time. The guys name ? Jimmy Cricket !
Everybody hurts sometime

Patrick

I actually went to the same school as Val Doonican (and Gilbert O'Sullivan) back in Ireland....the Priests running the school were very proud of Val..a big picture of him in the Study Hall etc.....but not so of Gilbert..as they thought he was a bit 'racy'...conservative  Ireland!

RIP Val....