News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

***FOF Exclusive!!*** Interview with Rodney McAree! Questions welcome...

Started by Burt, July 02, 2015, 05:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

We have had plenty of players over the years who have put the ball in the Carlisle net, but in the minds of most of us ol' timers there is only ONE player who really put the ball in the Carlisle net, and that is Rodney McAree.

Picture the scene – 5 April 1997, vying with Carlisle and Wigan to escape the bottom tier of English football, and a crunch promotion clash at Brunton Park. Who would have thought that it was just 15 months prior to this ding-dong that the Whites lost to Torquay United and we were second from bottom? People will struggle to remember who put Carlisle in front, and perhaps even who equalized for the Whites, but nobody will forget the late, late screamer that McAree scored from the edge of the area that all but guaranteed us promotion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzwDQMy_VAw

The legend was born... And the goal seemed symbolic of the era that was subsequently ushered in. Nobody could have forseen the investment made by Al Fayed, the run to the Premier League, an FA Cup semi-final, our most successful spell in the top league, the Europa League final, etc.

For someone who only played a handful of games for us, 28 league matches, McAree punches well above his weight in cult hero terms and will be forever remembered for that volley that propelled Fulham in to the big time once more.

So it was with a great deal of excitement here at FOF Towers we were delighted when Rodney kindly agreed to take part in a Q&A session with us.

If you have any questions to pose to Rodney, then please either PM me or post them on this thread. The aim is to get all the questions over to Rodney by the end of next week, and he will provide his responses soon after.

Cheers

Burt

Ordar

Is it strange to have scored what is widely seen as one of the most important and memorable goals in the clubs history which is still spoken about on a weekly basis on match days?

Does he feel any affiliation with the club given he didnt play many matches for us, but given that he has iconic status with our fans.

Does he know his name is still regularly chanted every season

Rhys Lightning 63

@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

LBNo11

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on July 02, 2015, 06:06:57 PM
Who put the ball in the Carlisle net?

...Les Barrett 1975 FAC sixth round, around the 65th minute. What - someone else scored an important goal at Carlisle for Fulham - no, don't tell me, Mike Conroy..?
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

aaronmcguigan

I'm pretty sure he had a hand in getting Liam Donnelly to Fulham as both him and his dad Joe McAree were managers of dungannon swifts.

Would be interesting to hear how far he thinks Liam can go with Fulham and NI.
If he can break into the Fulham team, he could be off to France for Euro 2016

F(f)CUK

Micky Adams said that he had a good feeling about playing Rod for the game against Carlisle.  Did he ever discuss this with him either before or after the game?

Also, apart from the Carlisle match what was Rod's greatest football related moment?

Supermitch

April 5th is quite well known as being the last day of the tax year.  Is Rod aware that this day is inevitably referred to on each anniversary as "Rodney McAree day" on Fulham sites?

Rhys Lightning 63

Judging by the basis of this thread

Are you tired of only being remembered for doing one thing?
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Burt

Does he remember the other 2 goals he scored for the club?

What is he doing nowadays?

snarks

Having been at liverpool at the time when he was did they feel like a club in decline, and was his leaving liverpool due more to the change in culture at the club?

(odd question but I'm interested in the background before he got to Fulham, and at the time he was with liverpool, Man U under Fergie were just becoming the major force which meant liverpool stopped finding nuggets and started trying to buy success back)

Burt

Fulham Tup North

Hi Rod, can you do me a favour, next time you see Simon Morgan, ask him where my money is from the 1997 'Grand National Sweep Stake' he organised on the coach on the way to Carlisle!
Also, can you remember which horse you had?
(PS. I won't let this go Morgan!) :(
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Burt

Burt

Supermitch

Burt

Thanks all!

The questions are now winging their way over to Rodney.

Cheers

Burt