watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Current team/squad as things stand

Started by Ordar, July 02, 2015, 10:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ordar

I was looking at our squad as things are and I have to say I'm feeling optimistic, even at this early stage.

I think our current best team is:

------------Bettinelli-----------
Richards--Hutchinson--Burn--Kavanagh
Roberts--Cairney--Christensen--Pringle
---------------------McCormack---------
------------Smith--------------------------

Obviously Roberts is unproven and may not even be here, but I wanted to put Cairney in his more effective and natural position. I know many want to shift him out wide. I believe that the Cairney--Christensen partnership would be incredible at this level. Other option would be move Cairney to the right if we bring in McDonald.

Dunk, McDonald and Husband we should definitely try and get in to ideally play:

------------Bettinelli-----------
Richards--Dunk------ Burn--Husband
Cairney--McDonald--Christensen--Pringle
---------------------McCormack---------
------------Smith--------------------------

If you cant get promoted with that team then you shouldnt be managing at this level.

There is good depth at:

GK - Lonergan, Joronen(Probably loan with recall option)
RB - Grimmer, Voser
CB - Hutchinson, Bodurov, Grimmer
LB - Voser, Richards

LM - Williams, Kačaniklić
CM - Parker, Tunnicliffe, Hyndman, Eisfeld
RM - Roberts

CF - Woodrow, Dembele, Taggart

Assuming we lose Ruiz, Mitroglou and Amorebieta

mike_corkcity12

Cairney has said he doesn't like to play out wide. Pringle will have a tough time getting in ahead of Kaca I think. Kaca is well proven at this level but has been messed around by Jol and Magath.

Kit won't start with Smith either.

God The Mechanic

Kaca really isn't well proven at this level.  He offered sod all when he came back form his loan last year and I really hope we aren't relying on him to provide quality, he's shown very little outside of his short phase in the PL when he and Berba were linking up really well.

FPT

I initially felt that we were moving towards a 4231 with Tom Cairney wide right, Christensen next to a holding midfielder and Ross off of a vertical penetrative striker.

Then after consideration and discussion, I'm now somewhat convinced that we're going for a 433, with a holding midfielder (the possible move for Kevin McDonald) ahead of the back four, with two more forward focused central midfielders in Lasse Vigen Christensen and Tom Cairney being more forward focused assets. Ben Pringle starts down the left hand side and we bring in a right winger. Only problem would be Ross McCormack on his own up top, I'm not sure how capable he would be of that. If he could do it, then we're absolutely laughing.

Theory:

----------------Bettinelli-----------------
Richards----Lees-----Burn----Husband
----------------McDonald----------------
--------Christensen----Cairney----------
Antonio----------------------------Pringle
----------------McCormack---------------

We've not been linked with Michail Antonio, but feel he'd be perfect for this team, adding pace and power on the counter we don't have. He's had an excellent season leading to him being involved with a load of goals (26 to be precise). James Husband also, we've not been linked with a move - and it seems he'll be used as bait to Ipswich for Middlesbrough to sign Daryl Murphy, and the link for Tom Lees died fairly quickly, but of course you can just fill in the blanks.

What I like about the 433 is the fluidity it can provide, leaving the shackles off of both Tom Cairney and Lasse Vigen Christensen, whereas a 4231 has Cairney in the hole with a load of freedom but Christensen a little restricted by the team shape, here both can have a bit of freedom to play from deep and move the ball up the park via McDonald and the two full backs.

If the two wide players hug the touchlines and stretch the pitch, all the more room to play for Christensen, Cairney and 'Cormack (just for the triple C effect). I'm hopeful that this team and shape would help induce good, fluid football and solidity going to a 451 off the ball.

EJL

Would love Antonio, but with two years left on his contract and Forrest's transfer ban, it would probably require in excess of £5 mil to get them to sell.

Edit: apparently they're not under embargo anymore.

St Eve

Not disagreeing with you but do you really think Kit won't play Parker?

FPT

Quote from: St Eve on July 03, 2015, 12:53:13 AM

For sure, especially if we sign Kevin McDonald and Jamie O'Hara. I don't think Kit is as silly as many like to make out, it's clear to see that Parker is on his last legs and probably the last year of his career (unless he can squeeze a year or two elsewhere). Parker is best utilised from the bench this season; playing no more than 20 minutes to help see games out or starting games when games pile up and suspensions/injuries. That way, we squeeze out the quality Scott Parker does have left of his career as he's still in and around the squad.

In "my team" he's on the bench, and if our business does involve completing deals for Kevin McDonald and Jamie O'Hara, I think he's on the bench for Kit Symons too.

FPT

Quote from: EJL on July 02, 2015, 11:52:28 PM
Would love Antonio, but with two years left on his contract and Forrest's transfer ban, it would probably require in excess of £5 mil to get them to sell.

Edit: apparently they're not under embargo anymore.

Yeah he'd be a pricy one, he's the general example of a winger I'm using to describe what we need, plus you could really see that kind of move from the management given our current window.

With the team I put out, I do think a winger like Antonio would just give us another dimension from the technical talent we'd have elsewhere; someone more direct, carrying a bag of pace and power to help move us forward up the pitch.

I'm no scout, so can't think of anybody else around of that ilk, so Antonio as my example will do for now!

St Eve

Quote from: FPT on July 03, 2015, 01:04:48 AM

For sure, especially if we sign Kevin McDonald and Jamie O'Hara. I don't think Kit is as silly as many like to make out, it's clear to see that Parker is on his last legs and probably the last year of his career (unless he can squeeze a year or two elsewhere). Parker is best utilised from the bench this season; playing no more than 20 minutes to help see games out or starting games when games pile up and suspensions/injuries. That way, we squeeze out the quality Scott Parker does have left of his career as he's still in and around the squad.

In "my team" he's on the bench, and if our business does involve completing deals for Kevin McDonald and Jamie O'Hara, I think he's on the bench for Kit Symons too.
In my team he has moved on but I would be very surprised if he doesn't run out for the first game with his captains arm band on

Jonaldiniho 88

I wonder if the Ohara deal depends on the McDonald deal. It seems that both with Parker on big wages may be excessive. Don't forget that Parker was playing out of his skin at the start of this season. I would prefere either of the of the afore mentioned players but we can't get Parker off the wage bill and with hyndman in the wings it doesn't seem like money well spent.

JackyFulham90

Atm I would say Kit will go

Bettenelli
Richards Hutchinson Burn Kavanagh
                  Parker Christensen
Cairney               Ross             Pringle
                          Woodrow

Subs - Lonergan,  Bodurov, Hyndman, Roberts, Kacaniklic,  Smith, Taggart

Squad shaping up nicely

WestCountryWhite

Can see us going 4-3-3 lots of work still to be done in defence and a right winger for me as I think LVC is best in the middle.  Assuming we get Macdonald through and I'd like us to flog Tunniclife

CDM
                         Parker
                        Macdonald
              CM.                         CM
             LVC.                       Cairney
             O'Hara.                   Hyndman

RM                                                                     LM
Roberts                                                          Kaca
???                                                                  Pringle

I do wreckon we will keep Roberts. I wouldn't be surprised to see kit play Mccormack wide right and Dembele / Smith up top. I'm intrigued to see what people think of Plumain is he ready? I haven't seen enough to comment

Chutney

I wish people would stop putting Hutchinson in their line ups, it terrifies me!
C O Y W

MartyFFC

We need 2 new central defenders. Burn and the Hutch were akin to the chuckle brothers last season

Black, White and Fred

Quote from: MartyFFC on July 03, 2015, 08:10:56 AM
We need 2 new central defenders. Burn and the Hutch were akin to the chuckle brothers last season

Burn can be very good but he needs a mobile experienced partner to help cover him, an Aaron Hughes to his Brede Hangeland if you like...
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

Skatzoffc

Quote from: God The Mechanic on July 02, 2015, 11:28:49 PM
Kaca really isn't well proven at this level.  He offered sod all when he came back form his loan last year and I really hope we aren't relying on him to provide quality, he's shown very little outside of his short phase in the PL when he and Berba were linking up really well.

I agree. Kaca needs to step up to the plate imo.
Pringle looked very good when I saw him last season. Good movement of the ball and penetrative passes/crosses.
I could see him starting and Kaca  subbed on later with his pace against tired defences.

We shall see.
COYW!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

Skatzoffc

Quote from: St Eve on July 03, 2015, 01:11:55 AM
Quote from: FPT on July 03, 2015, 01:04:48 AM

In my team he has moved on but I would be very surprised if he doesn't run out for the first game with his captains arm band on

Is Parker going to be fit for the start of the season? I thought he had an op recently.
Any news on how it went for him?

Skatzoffc

Quote from: JackyFulham90 on July 03, 2015, 05:32:15 AM

Bettenelli
                   Parker Christensen
Cairney               Ross             Pringle
                           Woodrow

Subs - Lonergan,  Bodurov, Hyndman, Roberts, Kacaniklic,  Smith, Taggart

Squad shaping up nicely

Sorry JackyF.
But, apart from Pringle & Cairney, that is the same team we played last season. We shipped more goals than any other team bar Blackpool.
fp.gif
A lot more work yet I hope.

Snibbo

Quote from: Skatzoffc on July 03, 2015, 09:41:56 AM

Bettenelli
                   Parker Christensen
                           Woodrow

Squad shaping up nicely

Sorry JackyF.
But, apart from Pringle & Cairney, that is the same team we played last season. We shipped more goals than any other team bar Blackpool.
fp.gif
Not really, to be fair. Our problems really materialised when LVC got crocked. He was huge.

I'd have smith instead of Woodrow though they might interchange of the bench.

Chutney

Quote from: Snibbo on July 03, 2015, 10:38:52 AM
Quote from: Skatzoffc on July 03, 2015, 09:41:56 AM

Bettenelli
                   Parker Christensen
                           Woodrow

Squad shaping up nicely

Sorry JackyF.
fp.gif
Not really, to be fair. Our problems really materialised when LVC got crocked. He was huge.

I'd have smith instead of Woodrow though they might interchange of the bench.
Its also not a stupid diamond, a lot of our problems last year were the formation. I like everything in the team above, except hutchinson, if we sign a cb its looking good!
C O Y W