watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Heather Watson

Started by bog, July 03, 2015, 07:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

What a performance by Heather Watson v Serena Williams. She may have lost but that was the best showing by an English female player that I can ever remember and I have been watching Wimbledon (tennis) since 1958. Have to say Serena was very sporting in her interview afterwards. I just hope that Heather does not just slip back into the shadowy also-rans. 

092.gif 

Mince n Tatties

English  Female?
She is a Guernsey  Girl..

bog

That's near enough for me!

092.gif

Mince n Tatties

sunburywhite

First time ever a womans sport had me cheering

What a game it was
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

So great an effort by Heather
So maddening, frustrating, etc
3-0 up in the final set & so nearly 4-0
But Williams showed true grit, determination & experience in hauling herself back from the brink
As you say Bog hope she doesn't just slip's back now & pushes on
Such potential & (nearly) time the Williams sisters were sent to the shadows
So youngsters can punch above their weight after all!
Seems the ladies are leading the way @ the moment
Perhaps Kit can show our boys some motivation from their achievements?

Twig

Great effort I agree but to suggest its was the best effort since 1958 is a bit of an insult to the likes of Ann Jones and especially Virginia Wade.

Forever Fulham

My son's best trainer and head coach (manager) was from Jersey, like Guernsey, Crown property oddly not considered a part of England.  A tax haven, I think. He has those Norman looks.   Left at 16 to join a Championship team's academy, and eventually made it to the adult first team squad.  Kevin Langan is his name. A CB.  Nicknamed the "The Silent Assassin" for his ability to get away with rendering opponents unable to continue.   Last I heard, he was head men's team coach at University  of North Carolina, Charlotte.  They made it to the finals of the NCAA Div. 1 collegiate championship after just a few years with Kevin at the helm. 

Mince n Tatties

Correct it's a possession of the Crown but not  part of the UK,but we are responsible  for its defence because  its the Crowns.
I worked there in the nineties for a while,terrific place to live,not as commercial
as Jersey..

bog

Twig sorry I got carried away. Best since 1977 and Virginia Wade....

092.gif

Forever Fulham

I've always wanted to visit those islands.  They look impossibly green from photos.  I have an acquaintance who works at our company who's from the Channel Islands in France.  I remember when travel agencies put those giant posters of far away lands in their storefront windows to entice customers to come on in and book a holiday visit.  Way before the Internet, and the do-it-yourself days of booking all aspects of a trip.  There was this popular poster of the Channel Islands meant to lure visitors to France.  It looked like the most interesting place on earth.  It's on my to-do list.  When we first met, we were both working in San Antonio, Texas.  I told her of that storefront poster, and asked her why, oh why, would you leave paradise to come to south Texas with its cactus, mesquite, searing heat; where everything either bites, stings, or pricks you?  She replied, "I got married and followed him here.  And, anyway, there are no opportunities back home."  What that has to do with a gutsy young tennis player from Guernsey, I have no idea.  Those islands are still on my bucket list.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Forever Fulham on July 04, 2015, 07:45:12 AM
I've always wanted to visit those islands.  They look impossibly green from photos.  I have an acquaintance who works at our company who's from the Channel Islands in France.  I remember when travel agencies put those giant posters of far away lands in their storefront windows to entice customers to come on in and book a holiday visit.  Way before the Internet, and the do-it-yourself days of booking all aspects of a trip.  There was this popular poster of the Channel Islands meant to lure visitors to France.  It looked like the most interesting place on earth.  It's on my to-do list.  When we first met, we were both working in San Antonio, Texas.  I told her of that storefront poster, and asked her why, oh why, would you leave paradise to come to south Texas with its cactus, mesquite, searing heat; where everything either bites, stings, or pricks you?  She replied, "I got married and followed him here.  And, anyway, there are no opportunities back home."  What that has to do with a gutsy young tennis player from Guernsey, I have no idea.  Those islands are still on my bucket list.

Sark is the  nicest,it's like going back in time when you visit there.
The trip over from Guernsey takes about 40 min on the little ferry.If you can
get a seat outside on it on a Summers day it's just a fabulous crossing.

Forever Fulham

Twig

Quote from: bog on July 04, 2015, 07:44:51 AM

092.gif

Fair enough.  Of course there was always the rather lovely Annabel Croft but that was rather different.

Lighthouse

Quote from: bog on July 04, 2015, 07:44:51 AM

092.gif

I still would say it was the best performance in a match by a British women tennis player. Both Jones and Wade won it. I think Wade had to beat Crissie Evert in the semi final. But in those days no player was head and shoulders above the rest like Serena Williams. Watson is a long way down in the rankings.

So I would still say this was the best performance in a match by a British female.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

bog

I just hope that Heather goes from strength to strength and does not just fade to mid table oblivion.

092.gif

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Guernsey was once described as  "60,000 drunks clinging to a rock"
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Mince n Tatties

60,001 when I lived there.. :wine:

bog

Have to say that I thought that Serena showed good sportsmanship during the game. On one point she even applauded a passing shot by Heather. Seeing where Serena and her sister started I have a lot of time for them both.   

092.gif

Blanco

Quote from: bog on July 04, 2015, 07:26:16 PM
Have to say that I thought that Serena showed good sportsmanship during the game. On one point she even applauded a passing shot by Heather. Seeing where Serena and her sister started I have a lot of time for them both.   

092.gif

:plus one: