watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

If we only go for 1 centre back this summer

Started by Wearethewhites, July 05, 2015, 11:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wearethewhites

Who are we going to persist with? Personally, I'm not in either the Burn, Budrov or Hutchison camp, I think all 3 lack something, but if we don't have a choice, who would it be?

If we get a towering centre half who's good in the air and calm with his feet, I'd personally go with Budrov.

filham

If ,and we really need to, get a towering centre half, good in the air and the best in the Championship then play Burn alongside him. This should cut down all those goals from crosses and set pieces.

OK Burn had a bad spell for a short while last season but to me he looks full of promise and with better players around him could come good this season.

JackyFulham90

I think Burn he has decent experience in the Championship. 
I also think Hutchinson is not a bad player the formation we played last year gave our defence no chance.
If we bring in Dunk or Tarkowski to go with the other 3 with maybe Liam Donnelly number 5 I will be happy. Hope we bring in McDonald as bringing in a holding midfielder is key

Craven Mad

Kind of depends on what sort of defender we sign. But - instinctively - I'd go for Burn. Most experience. Youngest (I think?). And most championship experience.

Bod would be my last choice - I don't rate him and think he massively weakens our back line. Not aware enough. Not confident in a challenge and has poor positioning and timing. He's also the oldest, so least likely to improvez

colinwhite

Burn is too immobile. Hutchinson likewise and both aren't good enough passers of the ball. Bodurov is a ball watcher . None of them have the respect of the players in front of them . We need 2 CBs!

FPT

Bodurov is all over the place, he's the definition of a fraud. He looks good, but when you go in depth, he's at fault for so many goals. He and Hutchinson looked good as a partnership, but it was actually our worst for goals conceded and results.

Dan Burn, in my opinion, is our best pure defender. Obviously he lacks athleticism given his physique, but he's the best tackler, reader of the game, aerially etc. If you defend tight, his athleticism isn't a problem - Brede Hangeland was a similar physique and he done alright... It's all about set up.

I hope we sell Fernando Amorebieta this summer to 'make room' for another centre back, and I really wouldn't mind if we sold Nikolay Bodurov also but I don't expect anybody to want him. The problem with both Bodurov and Hutchinson is that they're both 3rd or 4th choice quality in this division.

So yeah, I think we'll only bring in the one centre back, and he should be next to Dan Burn, our best current centre back.

colinwhite

agree that dan is the best of the 3 ,but hes not good enough either, in a top side. I would prefer us to get turner back on the cheap and get the likes of dunk in beside him . Agree about bodurov hes useless .

Burgf001

Burgf001

considering Burn is 6,6 and tall, one of the things he should be good at is winning aerial battles and muscling others off the ball. He doesn't do this as much as he should considering his physique

Craven Mad

Quote from: Burgf001 on July 05, 2015, 02:40:20 PM
WHY DOESNT ANYONE RATE BODUROV OMG

Because his form dropped hugely over the course of the season. By his last few games he looked an utterly lost souls out on the pitch - no clue what he was supposed to be doing and cost us hugely.

I wouldn't be disappointed if he left.

colinwhite

You can't have ball watching centre halfs with no orginisational skills and a poor sense of position . Just look how many times this season any type of ball into our box was put away by Bodurovs man who was all on his own some !

McBride78

How good is Bod's english?  Same with Stafy.  Young keeper, langauge issues, new players....last year was a disaster.  We have an experienced english (as a first language) speaking keeper just brought in that should help mentoring and organizing even if he doesn't start.  I think communication on the set pieces, coupled with lack of talent was an issue.  Who ever we bring in, someone has to take charge back there and get the group organized...someone has to lead.  Burn lacks pace but does seem to try to communicate and organize.  Perhaps with a compliment of players who understand what he is trying to do the chemistry will change.  I would be happy with any of the 4 Centre Backs we have been linked with recently (Stearman, Dunk, Lees, Tark) and think I would pair them likely with Burn.  I don't see huge difference between Burn and Hutch to be honest.  Would be happy to see two of the four mentioned brought in the challenge Burn and Hutch, in the end that would be best for all involved.

Twig

Quote from: FPT on July 05, 2015, 02:11:15 PM
Bodurov is all over the place, he's the definition of a fraud. He looks good, but when you go in depth, he's at fault for so many goals. He and Hutchinson looked good as a partnership, but it was actually our worst for goals conceded and results.

Dan Burn, in my opinion, is our best pure defender. Obviously he lacks athleticism given his physique, but he's the best tackler, reader of the game, aerially etc. If you defend tight, his athleticism isn't a problem - Brede Hangeland was a similar physique and he done alright... It's all about set up.

I hope we sell Fernando Amorebieta this summer to 'make room' for another centre back, and I really wouldn't mind if we sold Nikolay Bodurov also but I don't expect anybody to want him. The problem with both Bodurov and Hutchinson is that they're both 3rd or 4th choice quality in this division.

So yeah, I think we'll only bring in the one centre back, and he should be next to Dan Burn, our best current centre back.

Pretty much agree with every word.

leonffc

I think Burn is terrible. Technically very poor, can't pass, shanks clearances out if play BUT very good in the air.
Bodourov started well but dipped in form which isn't surprising as his confidence must have suffered with the lack of support he got from his fellow defenders and midfielders.

I really hope we go for Turner. I was really impressed with him during his loan spell

Tonywa

Quote from: Craven Mad on July 05, 2015, 02:55:14 PM
Quote from: Burgf001 on July 05, 2015, 02:40:20 PM
WHY DOESNT ANYONE RATE BODUROV OMG

Because his form dropped hugely over the course of the season. By his last few games he looked an utterly lost souls out on the pitch - no clue what he was supposed to be doing and cost us hugely.

I wouldn't be disappointed if he left.

At least one a game he seems to lose concentration and with it the man he is supposed to be marking.  Some dreadful mistakes in the second half of last season having looked at least solid to begin with.

aaronmcguigan

Liam Donnelly- star in the making. And that's just his beard