more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Liverpool: Sean O'Driscoll to be named assistant boss to Rodgers

Started by Apprentice to the Maestro, July 05, 2015, 11:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apprentice to the Maestro

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33401289

Liverpool will name England Under-19s boss Sean O'Driscoll as their new assistant manager on Monday.

The 58-year-old, who will leave his England post, has managed Bournemouth, Doncaster Rovers, Crawley Town, Nottingham Forest and Bristol City.

Reds academy coach Pep Lijnders will join the first-team staff, with talks continuing about a third new coach.

Manager Brendan Rodgers needed replacements after the sackings of Colin Pascoe and Mike Marsh.
The majority of Liverpool's players report back for pre-season training on Monday to be greeted by the revamped management team - put in place after an end-of-season review between Rodgers and owners Fenway Sports Group following a disappointing season in which Liverpool faded to finish sixth.

Rodgers became the first Reds boss since the 1950s to fail to win a trophy in his first three seasons and, after a 6-1 thrashing at Stoke on the last day of the season, accepted his position was under threat.

O'Driscoll, who had only been England Under-19 head coach since September, is highly regarded by Rodgers.

Liverpool are also expected to appoint another new face to the coaching set-up before the start of the season as Ljinders is likely to be involved in elite player development and continue to oversee some top academy players rather than acting as a direct replacement for Marsh.

O'Driscoll fact file

O'Driscoll played for Fulham and Bournemouth. Won three caps for the Republic of Ireland

Started managerial career at Bournemouth in 2000, leading them to one relegation and one promotion

Took over Championship side Bristol City at the start of 2013 but left with the club bottom of League One in November

Was named England Under-19 boss in September but failed to get them into the European Championship

Fernhurst

Well done "Noisy" ......the Liverpool fans will quickly take you to heart, they love anything Fulham  :023:
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

filham

Remind me , who is Kit's assistant.

A big jump up for Noisy from the lower divisions to Liverpool. I wish him well.

FPT

Quote from: filham on July 06, 2015, 11:39:18 AM
Remind me , who is Kit's assistant.

A big jump up for Noisy from the lower divisions to Liverpool. I wish him well.

He doesn't have an "assistant." It's a coaching team really, Kit is the first team manager. Sean Reed (bald fella) and Mark Pembridge are our first team coaches.

Martin Brennan our goalkeeping coach, then we have a Head Fitness Coach and a Fitness coach.

I think that's where somebody like Alan Curbishley really benefitted, just as someone to talk to more than anything. Our football has turned negative following the appointment of Curbs both times though, so I wouldn't like to see him come back. I'm holding out for Ray Lewington to return post-England.

mullers

this is quite a hot topic in Somerset.

Most people are negative about Sean until his ability as a coach becomes the subject. it generally seems to go that he gets slagging and called Mr. Grumpy on local radio, then as an add-on they say something like: 'Mind you, the football we played with him was alright' - and he took Bristol City to the bottom of the league.

It seems to be about journalists that had a tough interview with him and want to have a go regardless, and they're usually the ones that go on about 'no characters left in the game'. Well whatever else he was Felix was a character, so I'd rather we stuck with coaches that can do the job. Good luck Sean.