watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-special one Baker docu

Started by bog, July 10, 2015, 09:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Did anyone see the docu about special one Baker the other eve? Slightly unusual one might say. Imagine he in a trio with Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry..... :022:

092.gif

cmg

Saw it yesterday on Youtube. Terrific entertainment.

Horrible, repellent person as he is, I couldn't help laughing at some of the stuff he came out with (Bonham? 'Good techician but couldn't swing a bag of sh1t.')
I guess what with the genius and the smack there's not much room for a decent human being.

I don't know much about music, but I do know what I like. Baker and Bruce together were the most potent musical force I ever experienced. Despite, or perhaps because of, their mutual hatred.
What they created enabled Eric to do the stuff for which he has, rightly, become rich and famous. Even he would agree, I think, that Bruce and Baker made Cream.

G1inger - madder than a bag full of cut snakes.

RaySmith

Yes - saw it, and greatly enjoyed it - but at the end I wasn't sure if I had much idea about what Baker was 'really' like, or what drove him.

Well, a compulsive desire to be a drummer, and make music with others, was the main thing about him, and all else, relationships etc., paled beside this.

He was a typical jazz musician, I would say, in his obsessional nature. Has anyone read Ross Russell's bio of Charlie Parker - a drug addict, compulsive eater and a womaniser, and his life a train wreck outside of music, who died very young, he was one of the most important musicians of the 20th Century.

Similarly Baker, with Cream - a brilliant trio, ground breaking you might say, who managed to be both virtuoso and experimental musicians, and very popular at the same time.

One thing - I wasn't sure that Baker was really such an awful person - I think a lot of his attitude hid a somewhat insecure person, damaged by a violent upbringing

There were moments of tenderness with his stepson, for example, and sometimes I thought I detected tears in his eyes when he spoke of past relationships, or his friendship with Eric Clapton.

I also think that anyone involved creatively in music, or the arts generally, must generally be a sensitive person underneath.

This film is well worth seeing, anyway.

bog

I think he is a very angry man. As is Roger Waters of Pink Floyd. Both lost their fathers in the last war. Both never knew them. He was awful what he said to his own his son. No excuse for that.

092.gif