watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-re Cecil

Started by bog, July 30, 2015, 11:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

I heard some South African moron on Radio 4 yesterday defending the slaughter. He tried to compare big game hunting with football and rugby. 'It's a team effort' he stated. 'A group get together and achieve the killing.'  :dft007:

092.gif   

Mince n Tatties

Big Brave Lads in a group.
Get one on his own and he would wet his pants.
Just Scum..

Holders

I deplore the circumstances of this killing but I do try to be objective about the general scenario.

Poor countries in Africa wish to maximise their natural resources. Developed countries like ours exploited or exterminated ours in the past and if we in the West want "developing countries" to retain their wildlife for our pleasure (to see on TV if nowhere else) then, in all realism, it has to stand up financially for them or we are hypocrites. Thus, non-violent wildlife tourism must be of more value to them than development for mining or agriculture and I think that pretty much stands to reason.

What's more difficult is the principle of managing income from controlled hunting, which also substantiates maintenance of the wildlife resource. It can be the case that numbers of certain animals have to be controlled or selective culling carried out, particularly where ecosystems are in imbalance and this can be used to generate a further income (from those whom many others would consider depraved) if under the strictest controls. This is where the problems come in - for example corruption or, as appears to be the case with Cecil, deliberately circumventing protective measures. Similarly, certain animals - e.g. prize specimens or those involved in research  - should be sacrosanct. The problem is one of control and it seems to me that most of these countries just cannot be trusted to do that.

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

bog

I see your very articulate put point Holders. It is the scum bags who circulate their talents and do not give a toss about the wild life that I detest with such a hatred.   :dft007:

092.gif

Holders

This individual does appear to have behaved in a particularly disreputable, if possibly legal, way.

Progress may lie in attempting to maintain the wildlife until such time as more enlightened attitudes prevail, although this could take generations. Tackling the gun culture in America would be a start but also support of conservation measures in the countries concerned, however corrupt or imperfect. Pragmatism has to be the way forward, I believe.

bog

Holders, apparently Cecil was lured out of the reserve. That is what did it for me. As for gun culture in the US you have no chance of changing the thinking.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Big man, luring the lion out of a protected reserve, wounding it with a cross bow and then tracking it for 2 days whilst it gets weaker and slower and in more pain. Couldn't even hunt him properly.
Hopefully all involved get custodial sentences and go bust.

Scum!
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Holders

Quote from: bog on July 30, 2015, 04:18:18 PM
Holders, apparently Cecil was lured out of the reserve. That is what did it for me. As for gun culture in the US you have no chance of changing the thinking.

Around a century ago it was our lot doing this kind of thing; attitudes can change but it takes time. This is a difficult one and Obama has to do his stuff first.