watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Defending as a unit, height in the side

Started by Wearethewhites, July 30, 2015, 02:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wearethewhites

Dan Burn aside (If deemed good enough to start) if Matt Smith is taken off in a game, we really do lack height, so will defending set pieces be an issue again this season?

We conceded so many last season from dead-ball situations, that it almost become predictable, and would hate to go through that again this season if the issue isn't resolved.

For me, a minimum of 2 players are still required before the start of the season. A DCM, Etuhu type player with a bit of height (Ideally McDonald) and another towering CB.

I know we've already discussed the players we require, but I'm more so concerned from a defensive point of view, and more so a unit.

filham

Lack of height in the team seems to have been a problem for a while.
In most matches we seem to lose out on the aerial battles, in particular most of last season Rodders went the whole match only winning the odd ball in the air. In fact time and again the opposing centre back was able to comfortably win the ball in the air and nod down a good pass to player to set up an attack.

Things improved a lot when Smith was brought in.

Hopefully this problem has been addressed and we will see an improvement.

fulhamben

Quote from: filham on July 30, 2015, 06:39:13 PM
Lack of height in the team seems to have been a problem for a while.
In most matches we seem to lose out on the aerial battles, in particular most of last season Rodders went the whole match only winning the odd ball in the air. In fact time and again the opposing centre back was able to comfortably win the ball in the air and nod down a good pass to player to set up an attack.

Things improved a lot when Smith was brought in.

Hopefully this problem has been addressed and we will see an improvement.
yes, but only kit would persist with knocking it up high to hugo when it clearly didnt work. and things didnt improve at all when smith got bought in. sure we scored more consolation goals, but thats it. am i the only one who can recall how shockingly bad we were from the end of january to the last game of the season.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

MJG

Smith is a percentage ball Player.  His 'passing'  stats are less than 50%. Be that a pass with his feet or off he's head that's the odds of us getting the ball.

Jonaldiniho 88

The problem with having a big DM is that if he can't play a decent pass then we will be lumping the ball long anyway. Burn doesn't seem to be favoured by the management and if he isn't in the team we will need a different towering CB. Two towering CB's screws us against free flowing, quick attacking teams. This bitching about smith pisses me off. Play him as a DM when he has players around him and much less pressure and see his passing stats. Leave him isolated up top and expect him to be playing like Ohara has in the friendlies and be disappointed. Swap those two players and both their stats will go in opposite directions. I feel Ohara needs to start next season from his performances so far. I think smith deserves the same for last season.

MJG

You might not like the stat I showed about Smith but its the truth. He has the worst 'passing' stat for an outfield player last season.
For me its all summed up by Fulham's first tweet in the first minute from last Saturdays friendly

Fulham Football Club (@FulhamFC) tweeted at 3:33 pm on Sat, Jul 25, 2015:
1' #FFC get us started in Irdning . Hutchinson plays a long diagonal towards Smith who climbs highest but can't quite flick the ball on. 0-0

And that's what I mean by percentage football, and we were doing that at Crawley as well.

This is not aimed at Smith, just trying to show what happens when he plays.

Sent from my Lenovo A5500-F using Tapatalk

Jonaldiniho 88

Yes but put Ohara in that position and smith in Ohara's and see what happens. We have looked tactically naive for seasons now and I'm sure smith would like more freedom. He isn't allowed it because we have better players in those positions. Play the ball to his feet then judge him. Don't judge him because other players lump it to him.

MJG

I'm not judging him on a personal ability level, but as I always feared that's how we play with him up top. No need to put O'Hara there, you can look at any other player who played up front last season.
Against Charlton in first half his first 14 touches....13 were with his head. That's not his fault its the game plan.

Jonaldiniho 88

So the coaching staff should change the game plan or he should try and kick every ball hit at his head?

MJG

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on July 31, 2015, 12:05:45 AM
So the coaching staff should change the game plan or he should try and kick every ball hit at his head?
Lots of overhead kicks then

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: MJG on July 31, 2015, 12:10:06 AM
Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on July 31, 2015, 12:05:45 AM
Lots of overhead kicks then

Yes that should be the new system. Haha. In fairness I don't disagree with you and could never compete stat wise. I also think with our current players we will play with a lot more fluidity. I just can't look over the stats smith had last season that I'm sure you are aware of. If you were given his job and did it as well as he did wouldn't you be pissed off when you are dropped for doing what wa asked?
    On point to the OP we are short of height. That must be a pun. Anyway if it's just burn then wouldn't smith be an asset in both attack and defence? Pringles set pieces look soo much better than what we had last season so who would head them in? Also Ohara's long range passing looks on a different level from that of last season. Better balls better productivity? A narrow diamond (one helping the striker/s) or the two or three playing and running on around him won't help? Ross was setting him up last season and dropping deep. We have people who can do that for Ross allowing him to be playing in and around smith this season. That must help no?
   Don't feel you have to answer my questions but I think more questions are raised than he is a plan b gives the answers to. If other players step up the happy days but how can smith step up more? Did he or Ross have a better goal/minute last season. I remember a stat where Ross beat him but was that goals or goals/assists? Minus pens how close was it?

Andy S

If smith plays you have to get the ball to him more often. That is the problem with football today. Stats. In fact it is the problem with everything today

hovewhite

whats it going to be like on here when the games start,talk about on players backs before a ball has been kicked,get real give everyone a fair chance!