more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (31/07/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 31, 2015, 09:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Behind Enemy Lines

Mark Ritson, Crystal Palace Reporter for the Croydon Advertiser, gives us the lowdown on the Eagles ahead of Saturday's friendly at Craven Cottage.

How impressed were you with Palace last season?

Very impressed – from the moment Alan Pardew arrived. After a disastrous start of having Tony Pulis leave 48 hours before the new season, Neil Warnock steadied the ship initially before results became mixed. Pardew has installed belief, confidence and swagger around the place. The players play for him, they enjoy working with him and he wants the club to move onto the next level. These are exciting times at Selhurst Park.

Do you think things can get even better in 2015/16?

It will be very, very tough. Everyone in the Premier League is improving their squads and splashing the cash. Palace are looking to better 10th from last season and hit the top eight. A tall order but if they get off to a good start, the confidence will be oozing and who knows what might happen. Further big signings are expected before the transfer window closes, too.

The signing of Yohan Cabaye was a real signal of intent wasn't it?

Most definitely. Palace mean serious business and I can see them bringing in more signings on par with Cabaye. The midfield area is packed at the moment, so I can only see further additions coming in defence and attack. As for Cabaye himself, the guy will bring class and shape the way Palace attack sides. He can sit in front of the defence or play 'in the hole' behind a lone striker – Pardew has so many options.

What have you made of the rest of their summer transfer dealings?

Goalkeeper Alex McCarthy has been brought in from QPR and possesses big potential, but at present he is the third choice behind Julian Speroni and Wayne Hennessey. The latter has been heavily linked with a move away lately. Patrick Bamford has done it at League One and Championship level, so now he has the chance to push on further. He's a big, big talent and if he can succeed on loan at Palace, Chelsea will have a superstar on their hands. Initially, I can't see him starting every match – but if he starts well and scores goals, then Pardew has a welcome selection headache.

Just how much of a difference has Pardew made since he joined?

A massive difference. As I mentioned above, he's brought a whole new dimension to Palace. You can tell the enthusiasm and confidence has rubbed off on the players and I can see it continuing much further. Pardew has big plans for the club and wants to take them forward, no doubt. If all goes to plan, we could see Palace competing in the Europa League in future years.

Brede Hangeland was a legend during his time at Fulham. How's he fared at Selhurst Park?

Brede, on a personal level, is a delight to work with. He always has time for anyone and is a very honest professional. On the pitch, he proved to be an excellent squad member last season and filled in when required. He had a little run in the side under Warnock, but his quality and experience was noted quickly by Pardew, who offered him a new contract for this season. Brede is also big influence and helps the younger players, too.

The game is just a week before the season starts. Are you expecting a good contest from the two teams?

I expect a good game, for sure. Both sides will step up their performance a week before the new campaign and I would like to see both fielding their strongest line-ups. However, Palace do have another game – their last pre-season friendly – 48 hours later against Dagenham and Redbridge, so Pardew will probably rotate his squad quite a bit.

Tickets for this fixture are priced at just £10 adults and £1 for juniors in all areas of the ground. Supporters are encouraged to purchase in advance, with prices rising to £15 and £5 respectively on matchday.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/july/30/behind-enemy-lines?

WhiteJC

Southampton, Fulham, Bristol City outperformed by Braunton at Guernsey festival

A BRAUNTON youth side reached the semi-finals of a tournament on Guernsey, outperforming teams from Southampton, Fulham and Bristol City.

Coached by Chris Yeadell, the under-10s finished third out of 28 teams at the invitation-only BWCI Guernsey Mini Soccer Festival.

Braunton played Everton and Fulham on their way to securing the highest placing from a non-academy team from the UK mainland.

"They were able to pit themselves against some of the best youth academies in the UK, we are talking about some players who would be considered in the top 250 in the country for their age," said Yeadell.

Read more: http://www.northdevonjournal.co.uk/Southampton-Fulham-Bristol-City-outperformed/story-27514556-detail/story.html#ixzz3hSGg4DYi
Follow us: @NDJournal on Twitter | NDJournal on Facebook

WhiteJC

Why Fulham fans can look forward to the season ahead

A change in transfer policy and manager means the Cottagers can start looking up

Blend: a mixture of youth and experience should see the Whites through

Many Fulham fans have been relishing the summer break so far, having had well earned time-off after a dreadful couple of seasons.

But with the season opener against Cardiff just nine days away, the Cottagers are eyeing up the Championship fixture list and weighing up their chances of success.

And with no Felix Magath around, there's every reason to believe that they can make significant progress this season.

Here's why.

Summer signings and transfer targets have been of the right calibre
Since the chaotic transfer policy under Magath last summer, the club have opted for a more refined approach in terms of transfer targets this time around.

Instead of targeting the likes of Dino Fazlic and Adil Chihi, the Whites are gunning for players with Championship experience - this was exemplified last season when Symons brought in the likes of Jazz Richards, Danny Guthrie and Michael Turner.

And by bringing in Luke Garbutt on loan, Tom Cairney and Richards on a permanent deal, the Welsh manager has proven that he has a much better inclination of the standard of players required for England's second tier than his predecessor had.

He has improved the overall standard of the squad and also lowered the average age, while keeping the wage budget at a sustainable level - it's a strong base to build from, if not a promotion chasing side just yet.

Solid: Jazz Richards

Owner willing to invest
The Shahid Khan era of the club has been overshadowed by appalling administrative decisions which have in turn have led to awful results on the pitch.

But one thing Khan has not done is shy away from transfers, having acquired both Kostas Mitroglou and Ross McCormack for huge fees during his time in west London.

And while the former flopped, the latter has been a great success at the Cottage.

With the club also making smart acquisitions such as Tom Cairney for a fee of around £3.5 million, it is clear the management team can operate with relatively free reign knowing that Khan will back them.

Calculating: Fulham owner Shahid Khan

Symons is more tactically in-tune than Magath
Fulham's boss clearly has a better grasp of the Championship than his German predecessor did - and while many fans are still panicking about the Welshman being in charge, he is clearly the preferred choice of the club and the fans will have to deal with that.

The former centre-back did manage to obtain a number of strong results in the early stages of his rescue mission last season, and these cannot be forgotten despite the way the side ebbed away during the remainder of the season.

If Symons can replicate this earlier form that he drew from his side and take that into the next season, Fulham fans should have every right to be optimistic.

That said, he will need to learn from his mistakes last season - and fast.

Clueless: Felix Magath

Exciting young players coming through
An undoubted positive of last season for the Cottagers was the progress that their younger players made.

While fans maybe didn't get to see as much as they'd have liked of Patrick Roberts before he moved to Manchester City, they saw plenty of the midfield duo Lasse Vigen Christensen and Emerson Hyndman.

The Danish and American midfielders respectively excited the crowds at Craven Cottage and there is an inherent sense that any chance of future success lies with how well the duo progress.

And that's not to mention Welsh winger George Williams, who also appeared to be full of promise before he ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament on loan at MK Dons.

Young guns: Fulham's Lasse Vigen Christensen in action

Getting players away from the club who don't want to be there
Finally, the departures of Patrick Roberts and Bryan Ruiz from the club has lifted a weight from the dressing room.

The duo - particularly the latter- were evidently less keen to be at the club and it is always important to only have players who are willing to fight for the team.

None of this was clearer than in the Costa Rican's performances last season, where he looked disinterested and lethargic at times, even speaking to the media about his wishes to leave the club.

With those players out of the way, and Greece international Mitroglou most likely to follow, Symons should find it a little easier to help build the formidable team spirit necessary for a successful team.

The departed: Costa Rica's Bryan Ruiz has moved on to pastures new

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-fans-can-look-forward-9753295?

WhiteJC

One Goal

The Fulham FC Foundation, in partnership with L&Q Housing Association, have launched their summer One Goal programme in the South London boroughs of Merton and Lambeth.

In conjunction with nine football clubs around London, and along with the help of £387,000 from the L&Q Foundation, One Goal is a brand new sport and creative arts programme with the end goal being to use the huge allure of sport and nine professional clubs to engage, motivate and invigorate young people in the local area.

The list of renowned clubs involved in the One Goal programme includes Millwall, Charlton Athletic, Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur, West Ham United, Crystal Palace, Fulham, Leyton Orient and Dagenham & Redbridge.

The programme offers participants several  FREE opportunities which include coaching qualifications, access to sport sessions such as football, cricket, tennis, athletics and hockey, plus skill workshops, as well as a number of creative activities including arts and writing.

This week saw Fulham FC Foundation commence their summer One Goal programme, with over 40 enthusiastic participants walking through their doors on its first day.

The morning period saw the young attendees take part in a Football session led by the Trust's very own coaches. After lunch the youngsters then engaged in Dance and Rap led by the London Urban Arts Academy, and finally boxing, led by two external professionals from Carney's Community. This saw the children learn basic boxing and self-defence skills.

Other activities available with the One Goal programme include street dance, DJ workshop and laser tag.

These activities will be running weekdays throughout the summer at three local venues.

To book your place on the One Goal Programme please contact James Stirling ([email protected]).

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/july/30/one-goal?

WhiteJC

Fulham legend Jimmy Bullard reveals an obsession with swapping shirts

Former White speaks out about his hobby of collecting famous footballers' shirts, writes Dimitri Kondonis

Jubilant Jimmy: Whites midfielder made an impact at the Cottage

Fulham legend Jimmy Bullard admits he was devoted to life as a shirt-collecting footballer.

Bullard told Carling as part of their 'Shirt Amnesty' promotion that he has been lucky enough to collect shirts from Zinedine Zidane and Cristiano Ronaldo.

But taking home mementos of such prestige has proved to be an art form for the former Wigan and Hull man, who spent three seasons at Craven Cottage between 2006-09.

"After the game, it's now a done thing to go up to a player and say 'can I have your shirt afterwards?' said the footballer-turned-reality-TV-star.

"But even then you're not guaranteed the shirt and for me it's all about guaranteeing that shirt - especially someone of Ronaldo's calibre.

REUTERS/Nigel Roddis
Bullard banter: the comical midfielder pulls out his infamous Phil Brown gag when celebrating a goal

"I took it on myself really to go into Manchester United's dressing room and ask for Ronaldo's shirt before the game," Bullard recalled.

"I knew that all the (Wigan) boys would be after his shirt - he was the world's best player and Premier League's best player at the time.

"For me, I had to get in there as early as possible for that one."

Bullard also revealed a shirt exchange with former team-mate Frank Lampard that took a somewhat awkward turn.

"I once swapped a shirt with Frank Lampard, I played with Frank at West Ham," the former White added.

Shirt tale: Bullard gets his own at MK Dons alongside manager Karl Robinson

"I remember going up to him at Stamford Bridge when I was playing for Wigan and said, 'Frank, can I have your shirt?' and as he was taking his shirt off, I thought it'd be nice to say 'do you want mine?'

"He just came back with, "No, you're alright, Jim."

The Premier League icon also revealed that his collection of signed and framed shirts at home extended beyond 100.

And he is missing one man's shirt.

"There's only one player in the world I'm missing, for me it's Lionel Messi."

Carling's 'Shirt Amnesty' promotion gives fans the opportunity to exchange a football shirt with the name of a recently sold player on the back for a new one.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-legend-jimmy-bullard-reveals-9757455?

WhiteJC

Kit: Promotion Is The Goal

With a week left of pre-season, Kit Symons discusses Fulham's progress and emphasises that this season's target is promotion.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/july/30/manager-video?

WhiteJC

Kagisho Dikgacoi told he could be bedrock of a Cardiff City promotion push

Dikgacoi, 30, caught the eye in a 2-1 win over Watford having been the missing man throughout last term as he struggled with injuries

Kagisho Dikgacoi has been told he can be the man to make all the difference to Cardiff City's misfiring midfield this season.

But Russell Slade knows he will have to assess whether the South African will be sharp enough to start the new campaign as the countdown to the Championship kick-off continues tonight with a second Premier League test inside 72 hours.

Bluebirds boss Slade has accepted the former Palace star – who missed the vast majority of his first season in South Wales – still has work to do as he looks to prove his fitness for the season opener against Fulham next weekend.

And he's set for a further chance to gain valuable game time as Cardiff head to take on Premier League newcomers Bournemouth on the back of a impressive pre-season success over fellow top-flight new boys Watford.

Dikgacoi, 30, caught the eye in the 2-1 win having been the missing man throughout last term as he struggled with injuries, but now he's been backed to provide a missing link to a midfield that came in for heavy criticism – with one team-mate claiming he can bring the same credentials of promotion-winners of the past.

"He'll be a key player for us and it's great to see him fit," said Matt Connolly, who has been part of four different sides to have made it out of the second-tier. "He mops up everything in front of the back four, it's great to see him back there – every team needs a player of that type if they are to challenge for promotion.

"Shaun Derry did that job for QPR when they went up when I was there and Ben Watson did the same role for Watford last season. He had a bad injury last season, but he's worked really hard and it's good to see him back."

Dikgacoi, a high-profile arrival from Palace at the start of last season, managed just 74 minutes of Championship football last term as a lack of conditioning and knee and muscle injuries wrecked his hopes of making an impression.

But, in a bid to rescue his Cardiff City Stadium career, the 54-cap international has been handed a personal training programme which saw him sent to a personal boot-camp ahead of pre-season as well as undertaking boxing sessions with Nathan Cleverly trainer Darren Wilson.

Slade has said his potential return is a boost to his squad after admitting his work is sending the midfielder in the right direction for the kick-off against Kit Symons' Fulham and will hope he takes another step forward against the Cherries.

Slade will also want to run the rule over striker Kenwyne Jones who has linked back up with the Bluebirds following lengthy international duty with Trinidad & Tobago over the summer with the striker set to be involved with the squad on the south coast.

Slade reiterated he sees the 30-year-old as a "big part" of his plans for the new campaign but Jones has again been linked with an exit with Sheffield Wednesday the latest to be touted as ready to move for the frontman.

Wednesday, under new Thai owners, are reported to be prepared to cover Jones' wages on a season-long loan deal in a similar agreement that took the forward to tomorrow night's opponents for the second-half of last season.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kagisho-dikgacoi-told-could-bedrock-9761530?

WhiteJC

Fulham manager Kit Symons sad to leave Wales assistant role

Fulham manager Kit Symons says leaving his role as Wales assistant was a disappointing decision, and one which was taken out of his hands.

Symons relinquished his Wales duties in June, having been Chris Coleman's number two since January 2012.

He initially combined the role with being Fulham boss, but was told he had to concentrate fully on his club commitments.

"There was no other option unfortunately," said Symons.

"It was a big disappointment to have to give up the assistant manager role with Wales but it's not really a decision I could take.

"It's with a lot of sadness I leave the Wales set-up but I leave with my head held high. I absolutely loved the whole experience."

Paul Trollope will combine his Wales role with his coaching position at Cardiff City

Symons succeeded Felix Magath as Fulham manager on an interim basis in September 2014, taking over permanently a month later.

Cottagers chairman Shahid Khan initially gave Wales permission to retain Symons's services following his appointment.

But after Wales' significant Euro 2016 qualifying win against Belgium in June, former Fulham and Wales centre-back Symons turned his attention solely to the Craven Cottage side and was succeeded in the Welsh set-up by Paul Trollope.

"To be manager of a Championship club and to come away [with Wales], it was just too much," Symons told BBC Wales Sport.

"There was a lot of running around. It's completely understandable why they [Fulham] wanted me to fully concentrate on such a big job."

After beating Belgium, Wales are top of Group B and have a strong chance of qualifying for the finals of a major tournament for the first time since 1958.

"We've been through some pretty tough times and it was great to get through those and be successful like we have been in recent games, and I'm sure we will continue to be so," Symons added.

"We've got fantastic staff in the Wales set-up.

"The guys aren't under contract, they just get paid a flat match fee. They're doing it because it's something they love doing."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33722553