watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We cannot start Woodrow

Started by Ordar, August 01, 2015, 05:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ordar

He nowhere near good enough for this level. I have no idea what anyone thinks he adds to the side other than running around like a headless chicken. We were under constant pressure first half as he couldn't win a header or hold the ball up.

Play Mitroglou or buy a new starting striker.

hovewhite

Will be interesting to see who starts next week.

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: Ordar on August 01, 2015, 05:09:10 PM
He nowhere near good enough for this level. I have no idea what anyone thinks he adds to the side other than running around like a headless chicken. We were under constant pressure first half as he couldn't win a header or hold the ball up.

If Ross plays I agree. If he doesn't he offers what Ross does without as many goals.

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: Ordar on August 01, 2015, 05:09:10 PM

Mitroglou or Taggart, Woodrow on as a sub in the 80th or as necessary with injuries.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Banstead White

I think there is a bit too much self belief going on....... :028:
Roysie

grandad

I agree. Nice lad he may be but he is never going to score 20 goals a season. Yes he runs around a lot which does create space for others but we need someone up top who is actually going to score goals.We can´t leave it all to Ross. As it is he spends too much time deep or wide. I want him in the box.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Northern Cottager

As good as our academy is or has been for potential...I can only really recall Betts and LVC stepping up properly.Hyndman showed glimpses but agree, Woodrow offers very little.

SouthfieldWhite

Quote from: Northern Cottager on August 01, 2015, 06:27:29 PM
As good as our academy is or has been for potential...I can only really recall Betts and LVC stepping up properly.Hyndman showed glimpses but agree, Woodrow offers very little.

Let's not knock out youngsters just yet, they are still learning, id like to see Woodrow go out on loan to a league one team .

I agree about  Mitroglu, he could be the difference between promotion or not, and unless he's being a nuisance about not wanting to play in the Championship, then he has to start up front with Ross once Mitroglu is properly fit.

He may be on a high wage, but the money the Premiership brings in, it's worth that gamble

MJG

I've come to the conclusion that Ross and Woodrow can't play together. Both come deep and prefer that.
I've always said Woodrow is nit the goalscorer some on here think he is,  he's more the player behind a main striker. That's why him and Dembele would be a better combination.
But he's still learning and has some good attributes,  but not a starter.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Chutney

Very harsh on a good young striker, he's still learning, he's been prolific at all other age groups and it's only a matter of time until he finds his feet in the full team.
C O Y W

Northern Cottager

Quote from: Chutney on August 01, 2015, 07:36:11 PM
Very harsh on a good young striker, he's still learning, he's been prolific at all other age groups and it's only a matter of time until he finds his feet in the full team.

I thought we called him back from Southend after hardly playing for them and then he was to try and keep us in the Premier League? I like him and think he is the opposite of most youngsters and footballers as he clearly puts in the effort but I want us promoted and I can't see him being the one to lead us there. Then again, you need a squad that compliments each other and a harrying striker off the bench to put pressure on a tired defense may be a bonus.

Domino1879

Wood row is still learning and will be good in a couple of seasons but we need a proven goal scorer NOW.
If Mitro is motivated to play for us then he should be picked.  Otherwise we need another striker - like Gayle perhaps?

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: Chutney on August 01, 2015, 07:36:11 PM

Pretty sure he hasn't been prolific in any age group. Think the lad has good qualities but cant see him ever being a consistent goalscorer

dannyboi-ffc

As far as I see it our strikers are broken down like this

Ross- comes too deep to be the sole forward, better in the hole and is certain to start but HAS to have a striker in front of him.

Smith- has his strengths but will always be predictable and if I was manager he would be a target man in times of desperation when we are chasing games as a plan b.

Woodrow- again has his strengths but not a natural goalscorer and certainly not quick or strong enough to start. He is more suited to coming on to protect a lead when others are getting tired as he has bags of energy.

Dembele- out of them all he is the best suited to playing today's system with Ross. But with promotion allegedly the aim I think it would be too much of a gamble to hope this kid could step up. A star for the future but a year or two too early.

Taggart- God knows, never seen him play and since today was my only friendly this year I don't think I have ever even seen him on the bench either.

Mitroglou- class above the rest based on today but not the type to build your hopes on, he could be gone tomorrow.

All in all I think we only desperately need a striker if Mitroglou leaves and if he does leave then I think it's a necessity. None of our strikers are rubbish but only Dembele offers the right attributes to make my best 11 right now.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Lighthouse

Woodrow is an 'away' team player. Holds up the ball. Makes it awkward for defenders. But he is not direct and never going to be a big goal scoring striker. Mind you I said all this last season and was told otherwise.

We do need a striker to replace Rodders. The Greek will sod off no doubt. So defender and a striker and we should be solid enough this season. I wonder if it will be one point from the first 8 games this season. Feel more optimistic for sure. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

bill taylors apprentice

It was said today on FFC radio on more than one occasion how well he closes defenders down and wins throw ins by his hard work.
Well sorry to be blunt but I think a team aspiring to challenge for promotion needs more than that from its forwards.
Yes he's a nice lad with the right attitude but frankly he's not up to to it now or ever.

bmasar

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on August 01, 2015, 11:45:51 PMWell sorry to be blunt but I think a team aspiring to challenge for promotion needs more than that from its forwards.
Yes he's a nice lad with the right attitude but frankly he's not up to to it now or ever.

Spot on.

Additionally it feels like he gets more slack just because he came from our academy. If he was a transfer I feel a lot more on here would be saying he's not good enough to start.

HillingdonFFC

For those of us old enough to remember hes a bit like a young Dean Coney. Holds the ball up and brings others into play, Coney was a bit quicker, stronger and better in the air but Cauley is an intelligent player who has a bit of scope.
I think though, that like Coney he'll always struggle for goals, and unless he's an exceptional targetman then lack of goals nowadays is a big problem.
He does seem to be a Kit favourite though, not sure we'll be pulling up any trees with him as a regular starter.

love4ffc

Wish I could have seen both games yesterday.  Was also unable to listen so I am relying on this forum and everyone's perspective of the game. 

I would agree with Southfieldwhite, let's send the lad out on loan rather than just write him off. 

If Mitroglou is willing to play then I hope he becomes our top man.  Sounds like he is our best option.  I would still like to Smith used as more than just a "Plan B".  I think he's better than that and deserves more credit than he is receiving. 

Dembele also needs to be used more.  Would love to see him played more on regular bases. 

As we all know once again we are getting ready to start the long and arduous season we call the Championship.  I think it will take most if not all of our strikers to get through the season.  Players can't play every game of the season.   
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

glenhodgso

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on August 01, 2015, 08:20:00 PM
As far as I see it our strikers are broken down like this

Ross- comes too deep to be the sole forward, better in the hole and is certain to start but HAS to have a striker in front of him.

Smith- has his strengths but will always be predictable and if I was manager he would be a target man in times of desperation when we are chasing games as a plan b.

Woodrow- again has his strengths but not a natural goalscorer and certainly not quick or strong enough to start. He is more suited to coming on to protect a lead when others are getting tired as he has bags of energy.

Dembele- out of them all he is the best suited to playing today's system with Ross. But with promotion allegedly the aim I think it would be too much of a gamble to hope this kid could step up. A star for the future but a year or two too early.

Taggart- God knows, never seen him play and since today was my only friendly this year I don't think I have ever even seen him on the bench either.

Mitroglou- class above the rest based on today but not the type to build your hopes on, he could be gone tomorrow.

All in all I think we only desperately need a striker if Mitroglou leaves and if he does leave then I think it's a necessity. None of our strikers are rubbish but only Dembele offers the right attributes to make my best 11 right now.

Agree 100% Daniel. Dembele looked to me that he had progressed / matured better than any of the U21s last year (including Roberts) - simply, bigger, stronger, fitter and a good reader of the game. I hope we can keep him, but I fear we won't as he is yet another youngster in his final year of a contract.