https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sakari Mattila

Started by @jolslover, August 02, 2015, 08:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denver Fulham

Quote from: Riverside on August 03, 2015, 07:10:28 AM
Quote from: Denver Fulham on August 02, 2015, 10:50:01 PM
The guy recently started two Euro qualifiers for Finland. Heaven forbid we take a flier on a mid-20s senior national teamer instead of paying 250% of market price for a mediocre Englishman. If he isn't good enough, so be it. It cost us pennies. I like that the club is starting to expand its view on where we can find players that can help us in our current league.

Do you know what position he played for Finland ? DM or CB ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He played DM vs. Hungary. I didn't check where they played him in the March qualifier.

If he can potentially provide cover at both DM and CB, what's the harm? If he's not good enough, we're no worse off than we were before, and it's not like his arrival is going to make the club not buy a legit CB or two

Northern Cottager

Quote from: Denver Fulham on August 03, 2015, 09:26:40 PM
The guy recently started two Euro qualifiers for Finland. Heaven forbid we take a flier on a mid-20s senior national teamer instead of paying 250% of market price for a mediocre Englishman. If he isn't good enough, so be it. It cost us pennies. I like that the club is starting to expand its view on where we can find players that can help us in our current league.

He played DM vs. Hungary. I didn't check where they played him in the March qualifier.

If he can potentially provide cover at both DM and CB, what's the harm? If he's not good enough, we're no worse off than we were before, and it's not like his arrival is going to make the club not buy a legit CB or two

Really?! I think Fortheringhams arrival meant we were left light in midfield.

sunburywhite

I have only one thing to say

David Elm
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Denver Fulham

Quote from: Northern Cottager on August 03, 2015, 09:27:58 PM
Quote from: Denver Fulham on August 03, 2015, 09:26:40 PM

Really?! I think Fortheringhams arrival meant we were left light in midfield.

We were left light at every position other than "Where Ross played" last season. Our roster was garbage.

Right now, Mattila would be in the mix with Tunnicliffe to "cover" behind O'Hara (and assumedly Parker comes and plays a few matches at some point)? I don't see these situations as remotely comparable.

WONKYTONKY

We were left light at every position other than "Where Ross played" last season. Our roster was garbage.

Right now, Mattila would be in the mix with Tunnicliffe to "cover" behind O'Hara (and assumedly Parker comes and plays a few matches at some point)? I don't see these situations as remotely comparable.
[/quote]

I'd hope we're looking at hyndman ahead of tunni in there as well. Think this will be a reserve team signing and just keep fingers crossed he turns out to be mustard. Cant see it effecting the sort of players we're targeting at all.

The King

Hey, for once I can be relevant.

I watched Sakke play for two seasons in 2012 and 2013. He's a product of HJK's youth system. He's a solid central midfielder, I don't recall him ever playing in central defense in recent times. He's a very good passer of the ball when it comes to long passes and can shoot really well. He nearly scored from the halfway line for us against Athletic Bilbao in the Europa League qualifiers in 2012. It would have been GOTY material. He likes to shoot from far away, has a really powerful shot and he can hit some beatiful free kicks too. Go look them up on YouTube, I can't right now. On the other hand, he has a tendency to mess up easy short passes every now and then. He's played for the national team recently, but don't look deeper into those performances, they won't tell you anything worthwhile about any player in the team.

This season he hasn't played that well as far as I'm aware. He was given the captaincy for the season but gave it away a few days ago, I guess due to him going to Fulham. This would be a pretty interesting signing, both for him and for Fulham. He's got a chance to prove himself and if he does, Fulham get a solid player for a small fee.

Quote from: Artful Dodger on August 03, 2015, 08:22:53 PM
To me, if he hasn't made it out of Finland by the age of 26, then a lot of scouts have already passed him over. He could be a late developer I suppose but it sounds like a gamble, albeit a cheap one as I can't imagine the Finnish league is anywhere near as competitive as the Championship and the step up would make it difficult enough.

But why has Guy Moussi with almost 150 Championship matches been really weak for us in Helsinki then? :<

WayneKerrins

Quote from: The King on August 04, 2015, 10:33:19 AM
Hey, for once I can be relevant.

I watched Sakke play for two seasons in 2012 and 2013. He's a product of HJK's youth system. He's a solid central midfielder, I don't recall him ever playing in central defense in recent times. He's a very good passer of the ball when it comes to long passes and can shoot really well. He nearly scored from the halfway line for us against Athletic Bilbao in the Europa League qualifiers in 2012. It would have been GOTY material. He likes to shoot from far away, has a really powerful shot and he can hit some beatiful free kicks too. Go look them up on YouTube, I can't right now. On the other hand, he has a tendency to mess up easy short passes every now and then. He's played for the national team recently, but don't look deeper into those performances, they won't tell you anything worthwhile about any player in the team.

This season he hasn't played that well as far as I'm aware. He was given the captaincy for the season but gave it away a few days ago, I guess due to him going to Fulham. This would be a pretty interesting signing, both for him and for Fulham. He's got a chance to prove himself and if he does, Fulham get a solid player for a small fee.

Quote from: Artful Dodger on August 03, 2015, 08:22:53 PM
To me, if he hasn't made it out of Finland by the age of 26, then a lot of scouts have already passed him over. He could be a late developer I suppose but it sounds like a gamble, albeit a cheap one as I can't imagine the Finnish league is anywhere near as competitive as the Championship and the step up would make it difficult enough.

But why has Guy Moussi with almost 150 Championship matches been really weak for us in Helsinki then? :<

Cheers. Of the various CMs we've had in the past few years who is he most like? Etuhu/Boateng/Kvits ie DCM or murphy/Parker/Diarra (more allround Cm) or Kara (passing more offensively minded) etc etc

The King

I would say he is an all around CM much akin to Murphy. He likes to tackle, get stuck in, but also contributes greatly to attacks, getting forward himself. He strikes a mean penalty too, doesn't really take them though.

E: Obviously more defensive-minded, but he can be a force further up the pitch as well.

WayneKerrins

Quote from: The King on August 04, 2015, 11:30:43 AM
I would say he is an all around CM much akin to Murphy. He likes to tackle, get stuck in, but also contributes greatly to attacks, getting forward himself. He strikes a mean penalty too, doesn't really take them though.

E: Obviously more defensive-minded, but he can be a force further up the pitch as well.

Cheers, appreciated.

Skatzoffc

:plus one:

Its buttons. What's the risk?

Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

gang

He will be no good for us, he keeps taking shots.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 04, 2015, 01:13:25 PM
Don't need to go abroad for mediocre players, the players we need are here in England.

If he can shoot from distance, hit a free kick, and most importantly get a corner beyond the first man, I don't care what his nationality is. Add to that, he's a midfielder that isn't afraid of a tackle, then 250K is peanuts.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Steven Ageroad

Like it or lump it, the BBC website says we've bought him for an undisclosed fee. With the amount of mid fielders we've brought in I think the formation will be 3 -6 - 1 !!

cmg

Quote from: The King on August 04, 2015, 11:30:43 AM

Thanks for your input. It's good to get some information from somebody who actually knows something about the player - unlike some of the uniformed, knee-jerk garbage which has greeted his arrival.

Finland is well into its season, I believe, so he should be fit enough. I notice he missed three matches in June/July. Do you know if he was injured?

Deeping_white

I know YouTube is never a good indicator of how good a player is but this video shows at least that he's got a decent right peg.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cpmhHURl5Vg

RaySmith

He seems a very good signing- welcome to Fulham Sakari.

ffc73

To me this signing says
McDonald is not coming
Hyndman is off
Tunnicliffe is on the way out if we can find someone to offload him to

Otherwise I do not see any purpose in the signing. But we have had a fair few of those in recent years too

ChesterTheTabby

From what I have seen on good old YouTube, he reminds me more of Zoltan Gera than of Danny Murphy. Not a bad resemblance to have, and a nice right peg as stated above.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"