watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Are our coaches up to the job?

Started by BedsFFC, August 05, 2015, 11:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BedsFFC

I think, with 2/3 more signings in areas I don't need to mention, we will have a team that could push for promotion.

What about the coaches. I just took a look at the experience they have coaching 1st team players. My god, its a bit frightening.

Unless I'm mistaken, one coach we have with 1st team experience is the keeper coach who worked under Peter Taylor at Wycombe. The other was a fitness coach under Roy. I'll save you the time of looking it up and put their CV's below.

I must admit, it does have a bit of "Jobs for the boys" feel

Sean began his coaching career at Crystal Palace in 2000, while at the same time achieving his MSc in Sports Coaching. He had spent the previous four years playing football and studying for his degree in the United States.

He joined Fulham in 2004 on a part-time basis working in the Academy, before taking up a full-time role as a Fitness Coach with the First Team under Roy Hodgson in 2008. Having obtained his A-licence the previous year, he was tasked with bridging the gap between football and fitness.

He returned to a coaching role with the Fulham development squad, working alongside Ray Lewington until he departed to take up his Assistant Manager role with England in 2012. It was at that point that Kit Symons took the reins, with Sean working closely with him. This now continues with his new role with the First Team.

A distinguished career that saw Mark Pembridge take in spells at Luton Town, Derby County, Sheffield Wednesday, Benfica and Everton came to a close at Craven Cottage, with the Wales international having made more than 50 appearances for Fulham.

Before retiring from playing, he took his coaching badges at the Club alongside the likes of Lee Clark, Billy McKinlay and Mark Crossley, and went on to obtain his A-licence.

He then spent seven years as a youth coach at Fulham, primarily working with the Under-16 age group, although there were also occasions when he led the Under-18s. His new coaching role under Kit Symons is his first at senior level.

As a young goalkeeper, Martin Brennan spent time at Leyton Orient, Tottenham Hotspur and Charlton Athletic, and later went on to play for Cambridge United, Welling and Dagenham & Redbridge.

He first took up coaching during his time at Welling, and later returned to Orient where he coached the goalkeepers in the Under-9 to Under-16 age groups.

Brennan later rejoined Spurs where he coached the Under-18s and, latterly, the Under-21s, before joining the first team setup at Wycombe Wanderers under Peter Taylor.

Originally from Zimbabwe, Gary Hall moved to the UK to continue his education and complete his Sports Science degree at St Mary's University, Twickenham.

An open-minded, dedicated team member driven by improvement and the constant pursuit of excellence, Hall took up a part time Strength & Conditioning role within the Fulham Academy in 2008. He worked primarily with the Under 9–16s, before progressing to full-time positions within the U18 & 21s, respectively.

In 2013 Hall was appointed Head of Academy Fitness and Conditioning; a pivotal role within the successful Academy, ensuring individuals maximise athletic potential and are equipped to deal with the physical demands of first team football.

He's worked closely with Kit Symons for several years and now makes the step up to First Team level with him.[/color]

After completing his undergraduate and postgraduate studies at Brunel University, Alastair Harris took up an internship at the Club ahead of the 2010/11 season.

After a year in the role he was employed permanently, and went on to be heavily involved in the Elite Player Performance Plan as Fulham set about obtaining Category One Status for the Academy – something that they were successful in achieving.

Harris spent time working with the 12-16 age groups, alongside some First Team duties, before moving up to work at First Team level full-time in 2012.

rweller86

@rweller

alexbishop

good post (despite the colour). I have said on so many occasions now that we have a young coaching staff and wondered whether some of our frailties (particularly in defence) might stem from this lack of experience. Also, can more senior players really respond to coaches near to their own age (especially if as a player they weren't much good!)?
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

Apprentice to the Maestro

I am not against continuity and a club ethos if it works as it did for Liverpool for many years.

In contrast I found  it interesting that when a thread mentioned that we might be bringing in Terry Burton who had been first team coach under Roy Hodgson at WBA there were howls of protest, again with as much in depth knowledge as there has been for the arrival of Mattila.

[url][http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=47735.0/url]

I certainly think that after last year's performances we would benefit from a quality defensive coach particularly with corners and other set pieces.

Craven Mad

Nero

its the yellow

As a young goalkeeper, Martin Brennan spent time at Leyton Orient, Tottenham Hotspur and Charlton Athletic, and later went on to play for Cambridge United, Welling and Dagenham & Redbridge.

He first took up coaching during his time at Welling, and later returned to Orient where he coached the goalkeepers in the Under-9 to Under-16 age groups.

Brennan later rejoined Spurs where he coached the Under-18s and, latterly, the Under-21s, before joining the first team setup at Wycombe Wanderers under Peter Taylor.

Joined Fulham in the summer of 2012, initially with the Under-21s where he worked closely with current Whites stoppers Marcus Bettinelli and Jesse Joronen.

BedsFFC

Edited. Colours seemed a good idea at the time.

gezkc

Well, they've never broken down on any of the away game trips I've been on.

:Get Coat gif: