watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Unorthodox training

Started by Jonaldiniho 88, August 05, 2015, 09:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonaldiniho 88

On a light note post your proposed unorthodox mode of training for individual players. I'm actually being relatively serious when I say badminton would be great for defenders. Just taken up the game and love it. Footwork is incredibly important as you need to be ready for a "dink" or a back court "biff". It would also improve reactions and for a keeper that could also help. If the cbs and keepers played doubles it would also surely help communication.
     My unorthodox training would be badminton for dan burn. Get him turning quicker and his weight on the right foot.

Porthogs FC

I played badminton at a national level in Canada and I can tell you that it's incredible for footwork and explosive power over short distances. And eye hand coordination. Just not eye foot :)
Unfortunately you don't turn much in the game. Proper footwork would keep you facing towards the net for 95% of any match.

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: Porthogs FC on August 05, 2015, 10:18:43 PM
I played badminton at a national level in Canada and I can tell you that it's incredible for footwork and explosive power over short distances. And eye hand coordination. Just not eye foot :)
Unfortunately you don't turn much in the game. Proper footwork would keep you facing towards the net for 95% of any match.

Fair point (on my serve). It just seems to be most shots I miss my feet aren't in the right place. That is the same for most bad/missed tackles. The tactical side if the game also would help a players decision making. You have a split second to make a decision and it has to be a viable shot or it's point over. One thing that an amateur player and pro like you can agree on is you can never rest on your heels, or the toe of one foot, you need to be poised to move in any direction.

ron

But then again, Badminton is not one of the world's great contact sports to build match toughness, is it?.......

.....any more than tap dancing as it was introduced to Bobby Keetch - to "increase coordination" by Vic Buckingham back in the day impressed our combative centre half.
    Apparently his two-word reply ending in "off" got him an instant transfer to QPR.

Lighthouse

I think Keepers should close their eyes when practising saving penalties. They will learn to sense where the ball is. Not dive the wrong way.

Confucius say - Hear the boot as it kicks the ball. Feel the wind as the ball passes you. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

valdeingruo

Putting cheese on things....
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

love4ffc

Tetherball.  Only players use their feet and not their hands.  Allows players to work on high kicks, balance and eye foot coordination. Good for all players but especially good for strikers. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

MJG

Quite simply a U shaped brick wall court and a football and 30 minutes everyday kicking the ball against the walls with your weak foot.
Not exactly rocket science I know, but would improve a players weaker foot.

Sent from my Lenovo A5500-F using Tapatalk

leonffc

Or you could just play Futsal to improve footwork. It's somewhat game related too!!

Jonaldiniho 88

Love some of these. I'm not suggesting badminton is the answer but have found the dynamics great and it ticks every box for a defender. You are constantly making sharp runs forward or back then getting back to your position then having to do it again either forward or back. MJG's comment sounds great but I think our defence may need defensive training more. If you want to practice highlight reel goals check out Sepak tapraw. Incredible. It's like football/volleyball/karate.

YankeeJim

You have struck on something here. Now if we could just get FIFA to OK the use of the rackets, we likely would never loose a head ball again.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: YankeeJim on August 07, 2015, 01:10:17 AM
You have struck on something here. Now if we could just get FIFA to OK the use of the rackets, we likely would never loose a head ball again.

Haha. Keepers gloves will never be the same again. A racket on each glove. That could turn defence into attack.

leonffc

My issue, as a coach, with badminton is courts. It's not good to have players waiting around in queues no matter what drill you are putting on.
Now, if Fulham balls up the block booking of courts (you know it's possible!!) then there will be a lot of players standing around getting cold waiting for their go

ffc2004

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on August 07, 2015, 12:59:23 AM
Love some of these. I'm not suggesting badminton is the answer but have found the dynamics great and it ticks every box for a defender. You are constantly making sharp runs forward or back then getting back to your position then having to do it again either forward or back. MJG's comment sounds great but I think our defence may need defensive training more. If you want to practice highlight reel goals check out Sepak tapraw. Incredible. It's like football/volleyball/karate.

I knew I meant to google something after that Welling game!