Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (06/08/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 06, 2015, 08:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham add Finn as missing piece in club's jigsaw

Mattila the Finn added to Whites midfield

Signing: Sakari Mattila, pic: Fulhamfc.com

Fulham have signed a Finn set to become the side's last jigsaw piece.

How often Sakari Mattila from Aalesunds FK in Sweden signed on a two-year deal will play, is up for debate.

The Whites midfield is a mighty crowded place with three new signings by boss Kit Symons and four more options, but they don't have a defensive midfielder and that's where the 6ft 7ins 26-year-old comes in.

Midfield strength: Manager Kit Symons

Mattila began his career with HJK Helsinki, and has been around the piazza a fair bit in Italy with Udinese and Ascoli, before a stint with Swiss outfit AC Bellinzona.

He made the first of his international appearances for Finland in March 2014, but admits he's yet to meet his new team-mates as he attempts to bridge the gap between Sweden's Tippeligaen (top division) and the Championship.

He told the club's website: "Of course I'm very delighted and happy to officially be a member of FFC. From day one when I heard about the interest I was looking forward to this moment, and now that it's official I'm really happy.

"I haven't been training with the team yet but the facilities and the atmosphere that you have here in the training ground is very special."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-add-finn-missing-piece-9793421?

WhiteJC

The Tony Gale Column

It's definitely been a productive summer for Fulham. Looking at the players who have come in, Tom Cairney, Jazz Richards, Jamie O'Hara, Ben Pringle and Andy Lonergan have all got experience in the division. That's the key thing to have come out of the recruitment this summer – they've all got the experience and the knowhow of how to get results in the Championship. We probably didn't have that last season because we were in a position of having to unload a lot of senior players and our high earners, and at the same time introduce a lot of youth to the squad. So we were in a little bit of a transitional spell and had a manager who didn't know the terrain, didn't know the division, and that showed dramatically. Thankfully Kit Symons came in and steadied the ship. We all got slight delusions of grandeur thinking that we'd go back up straight away, but when you're having that high a turnover of players then we actually did alright to stay up in the end.

The other lad we've brought in is Luke Garbutt on loan from Everton, and that's a great move for both clubs and the player. He's just not going to get enough game time at Everton when he's got someone like Leighton Baines in front of him, so this is a really good place for him to come to because Fulham will play football in the right way, and we're not long out of the Premier League so we're set up like a top-flight club. And what I think is good is that Roberto Martinez has let Kit have him. Obviously the recruitment team have done their job but the first thing their manager will be looking at is whether we're a team that can forward his development, give him game time, and ensure he doesn't get into bad habits. And I think that shows that Roberto trusts Fulham.

I'm a lot more confident going into this season than I was last year, but I think we need more players if we're going to challenge. Goalscoring positions are key. If you look at the teams that went up last season, Norwich, Watford and Bournemouth are sides that were going through games and had the ability to get a goal out of nothing, and I think that's the key. We've got Ross McCormack and although he scored 19 last season, I still think there's more to come. I think he's a 25-a-season man.

It's important that Kit's had this entire summer as Fulham Manager. It was a chance for him to get people together, evaluate at the end of the season, sit down with the Chief Football Officer and discuss what they want and what they don't want. When Kit says he needs a left-back, or this position or that position, they sit down and go through all the players, and then they'll go and get them. Now Mike Rigg's had time to know what Kit wants, and what he wants as well. It was a little bit difficult last year coming out of the Premier League – we've got a better run at it this time.

Cardiff away on Saturday has come around quickly and it's going to be a tough opener. I've seen their pre-season friendlies and they've had some decent results. They've still got a spillover of players from the Premier League, so they've got quality players there. It's not the easiest of starts, and Russell Slade is a manager I've got a lot of respect for. He's been in a situation a bit like Kit where he had to steady the ship. Their supporters think they should still be challenging, but it's the hardest thing in the world. It's a tricky start, and one where I'd take a point straightaway.

Tickets for Saturday's game at Cardiff (12pm) are priced at just £22 so secure yours now to support Kit and the boys!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/august/05/the-tony-gale-column?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss shares blame for last season's woes but sees promotion signs

Manager Kit Symons is determined to avoid another year of struggle

Celebrate: Fulham celebrate against Crystal Palace

Fulham boss Kit Symons has taken a share of the blame for last season's poor performances in the Championship following relegation from the Premier League.

Symons took over in September after the Cottagers had failed to win in any of their opening eight matches - picking up one point from a possible 21 under Felix Magath before his eventual sacking.

The 44-year-old oversaw an upturn in form as Fulham won 10 of their next 20 matches to clamber away from the relegation zone.

The Whites' form dipped in the second half of the season, where they won two games in 16 between the end of January and mid-April - a pattern which Symons held his hands up to.

"I take responsibility for stuff last year," he said after being quizzed on having time to transform Magath's team into his own. "I took over, I stepped in and it was my team then."

Fulham's Sean Kavanagh looks dejected

But having played a part in two promotion parties for Fulham in 1999 and 2001, Symons knows it requires a strong team unity to get the string of results required for the top six.

And the Welsh boss sees reason for optimism ahead of the season opener with Cardiff on Saturday, after drawing parallels between the side which won promotion all those years ago and the squad today.

He added: "The team spirit in pre-season has been brilliant and the boys have been digging in.

"We've got some real quality talented footballers, but they're willing to work hard for the team as well.

Fulham's Ben Pringle celebrates his goal

"That's the big thing. I had a couple of promotions playing for Fulham and on both occasions the team spirit was tremendous, just the work ethic - people putting the team first instead of themselves.

"If you can get that - and that's what we're starting to get now, the spirit in pre-season has been brilliant - then I think you have a great chance."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-shares-blame-last-9780355?

WhiteJC

Notes for the New Season – Part Eight: Fulham and QPR

In the final instalment in a series of pre-season reports, HarryfromBath assesses the mood around the Championship clubs by delving into their forums. Today we head over to West London to see how Fulham and relegated Queen's Park Rangers are getting on.

Fulham – The Case for the Defence
"This summer is the first for a number of seasons where I feel we are actually fairly settled as a club. Sensible transfers have already been made. Yes, we need a few additions but look at it this way: there is always a better player out there and we will always need new additions."

"So far it has been a quality summer." Cottagers have welcomed stability this summer after a chaotic first Championship season since last year's relegation. "The club has done a lot to improve the playing staff. Last year's results have to be improved on, especially against the better teams."

Fans are circumspect about setting expectations for this season too high. "I am very optimistic about this season but I don't think promotion will be on the cards", "I realistically think that the top six is too big a step from last season's form. We will do well to settle in a mid-table position."

Kit Symons
"Kit can succeed but will be gone if he does not sort the defence out. If he can't achieve this and we start to both ship goals and lose games he won't last long", "Time is running out to improve the quality of the back four and Kit will pay the price if that improvement isn't quickly realised."

"Yeah, we could sack Kit, bring in Big Sam, sack him at Christmas and continue this wonderful slide we have been on for years. We could alternatively take a huge gamble and reverse the slide. We seem to have a set-up in the club that seems to be working."

"Attacking Symons for not bringing in the defenders we are going for is pointless." Supporters have been quick to shoot down any of the minority with itchy trigger-fingers, but there is a genuine concern about the quality Fulham defence and their manager's ability to address this issue.

"Time is running out to improve the quality of the back four", "We cannot defend and we all know that. If we carry on like last season at the back we will spend most of our time in the bottom half of the league. If the defence isn't sorted Kit will be gone soon."

"I don't think Kit is able to address our defensive organisation. He favours a fluid attacking approach which we are happy to see. We need a 'bad cop' to properly drill the defenders", "He needs to understand his best back four and get them playing together every week as a unit."

Departures
Ten players have departed Craven Cottage this summer and have been scattered to the four winds. Goalkeeper Gabor Kiraly has joined Szombathelyi Haladas in his native Hungary and German defender Tim Hoogland has also returned to his home country, transferring to VfL Bochum.

Two international strikers have also moved abroad, Brian Ruiz joining Benfica and Hugo Rodallega moving to Turkish outfit Akhisar Bedeliyspor while two midfielders, Dutchman Chris David and Moroccan Adil Chihi are still unattached having left the club.

Four players have joined English clubs. Keeper Martin Stekelenburg has moved to Southampton, defender Josh Passley has joined Dagenham and Redbridge, Ryan Williams has signed for Barnsley while teenage prodigy Patrick Roberts has moved to Manchester City for an undisclosed fee.

Patrick Roberts
"Everyone has the right to progress their career and Patrick has not bad-mouthed the club or left on bad terms", "I'm sad he has left but have no ill-feeling." Cottagers have been quick to wish the 19-year-old midfielder well on his high profile move to the Etihad.

"Roberts wasn't a regular player at Fulham", "You need to think about why he has left and the reasons behind it", "He will get to train with some of the world's best players and will certainly get sent out on loan to get a season or two under his belt with a club that will actually play him."

Arrivals
Seven new faces have appeared this summer, with the defence bolstered by the arrival of goalkeeper Andy Lonergan from Bolton, Wales international Jazz Richards from Swansea and the season-long loan signing of Everton's Luke Garbutt.

Four midfielders have also arrived, left-winger and Town target Ben Pringle (above) from Rotherham, Tom Cairney from Blackburn, Jamie O'Hara from Blackpool and lastly Finland holding midfielder Sakari Mattila, who joined from Norwegian club Aalesunds earlier this week.

Cottagers are hoping to see Crystal Palace's Dwight Gayle arrive on loan while the club have also been linked with Brighton defender Lewis Dunk.

Defenders

"Andy Lonergan was a good keeper a few years back. Hopefully he's half-decent now", "I hope Marcus Bettinelli is our number one as he won't stay for long if not." Most Cottagers see Lonergan as a stand-in. "I am not a fan of Lonergan. He's error prone and his kicking is lower-league at best."

"Jazz Richards will help cover for both full-back positions and isn't costing us too much either", "He's not as bad as some people make out", "He is a grand addition and will have a terrific season", "He's good going forward, defensively okay but better with a covering centre-half and midfielder."

"Our formation over-exposed the full-backs so judging Jazz Richards for some admittedly average performances is a tad unfair." He struggled on loan at the Cottage last season in the then-preferred diamond-formation. "He wasn't anything to shout about but he has the potential to improve."

"Luke Garbutt is a smashing acquisition. I watched this lad last season. He was very fast and strong going forward. Let's hope he has some defensive nous about him." The 22-year-old "is a cracking signing and a major upgrade at left-back", "A genuine quality and promising prospect."

"Garbutt is the player I'm most excited to see. If he lives up to the talk we may have the best left-back in the league", "If we have a forward who can head the ball then Garbutt's Beckham-esque deliveries will really be a major weapon. Get your head on that one, Matt Smith."

Midfielders

"Tom Cairney is wasted on the right. He needs to be a central midfielder or number 10 where he gets the ball more. Anyone with half a brain cell could tell that the lad is absolute quality." Fans are divided on whether the 24-year old should be played centrally or on the right flank.

"We don't have any quality right midfielders so Cairney is there out of necessity", "I don't think he has the defensive discipline to partner Jamie O'Hara in the middle", "He will be a big player for us. He likes to play in tight spaces, has quick feet and works the give-and-go really well."

"If Jamie O'Hara gets game time and plays to his full potential he is a game changer." The 28-year-old "may start ahead of Scott Parker but could learn a lot from him on a professional level", "I have always thought he had talent, but a one-year contract doesn't suggest he will be a key player."

"I don't know much about Sakari Matilla but it looks like we won't be seeing Kevin McDonald joining from Wolves", "I am Norwegian, and I have seen this guy play a lot. He is really poor, even to Norwegian standards." Cottagers aren't setting their hopes too high on this latest arrival.

"I'm excited by Pringle. I remember he gave is a torrid time in the Rotherham game last season although I understand he blows a bit hot and cold. Hopefully he gives us a good left wing option as this was a problem last season", "He is a bundle of energy and a great crosser."

"He can play a variety of quality crosses from all angles." The 26-year-old's ability to play a telling ball has often been mentioned. "Quick, direct and a decent crosser, he won't set the world alight but has decent experience of this division", "He will benefit from not being in a relegation fight."

Queen's Park Rangers – Patient Work

"If you offered me 10th to 15th place now, never realistic play-off contenders but never worryingly near the bottom, a solid mid-table season with getting a bit of the real club back, I'd take it", "Leeds finished 15th last year. No way would fans be happy with losing nearly half the games they played."

A poll earlier in the post-season had 61% of Rangers forecasting 'mid-table obscurity'. "Unlike previous seasons, this seems much more of a step into the unknown. If we fail this year, it will be more a case of shrugging shoulders and saying, 'At least we tried rebuilding the club the right way'."

A number of themes have emerged from Rangers' pre-season discussions. One is a great desire to rebuild a squad patiently in a club which lacks the patience to allow this to happen. A second is an anxiety at the overwhelming squad turnaround being undertaken by a rookie management team.

"This season we have more reason to be fearful, with an almost new team and with no resources to replace two likely departing players [Charlie Austin and Leroy Fer] until they go", "We have bitten off more than we can chew, completely rebuilding the squad while trying to prepare a pre-season."

"There is too much to do, too much disruption and neither [manager] Chris Ramsey or [director of football] Les Ferdinand have ever done this before, and I think it is showing", "The changes have been so drastic that one close-season hasn't really been long enough to get the job completed."

Chris Ramsey
"I do feel for Ramsey. Trying to build a team while everyone is up for sale must be tricky and he has never had a balanced squad to work with during his whole time here." The QPR boss has been cautious in his comments in an attempt to manage supporters' expectations for the coming season.

"A big personality don't necessarily make a great coach, tactician or manager", "I prefer Ramsey's approach, however downbeat his comments are. This time last year we were fed a constant stream of Sky-friendly rubbish, including Harry Redknapp's opinion on the Ryder Cup."

"As it stands we have a good Championship squad. Our defence is weak and we have only one front-line keeper and holding player", "It's quite a young team and it is being asked to adapt to a new formation with players coming and going all the time. We are obviously short in key areas."

Patience
"The management want everyone to have enough patience to let then have a decent run at it but I'm not sure they will get it. People like to talk a good game about QPR going back to using lower league and youth players. In practice they just want us to go and buy Jordan Rhodes for £12 million."

"We need to change our mind set a bit and look beyond our results for a while. Patience and support are required but sadly I doubt Ramsey will get that", "It won't take much for the knives to come out for Ramsey and Ferdinand which is a real shame as the one thing they need is a bit of patience."

A good number of supporters have been quick to stress the need for patience and stability while admitting that the management team are unlikely to get this from the board, players or fans. Despite the turbulence of recent seasons, some are unhappy at the lack of investment this summer.

"Why can't we go and sign another Austin? I would like to know that we could pull the trigger and buy one of the top four strikers in the division. We have lowered the wage bill, have parachute payments and FFP is not the back-page story everyone outside the club was hoping it would be."

Departures
Ten players have left this summer with Chris Ramsey saying that two more, striker Charlie Austin and midfielder Leroy Fer "will probably leave." Two further players Michael Harriman, (to Wycombe until January) and defender Stephen Caulker (season-long to Southampton) have been loaned out.

Defender Rio Ferdinand has retired and three veterans, former Town goalkeeper Brian Murphy, defender Richard Dunne and midfielder Joey Barton remain unattached. Of the departing players, only 34-year-old striker Bobby Zamora (signed by Brighton this week) will remain in this division.

Winger Shaun Wright-Phillips (to New York Red Bulls), striker Adel Taarabt (to Benfica) and young defender Coll Donaldson (to Dundee United) have moved away from English football while keeper Alex McCarthy (to Crystal Palace) and defender Max Ehmer (to Gillingham) have remained in England.

Arrivals
Eight new signings have arrived at the club this summer while a number of first-team regulars have had one-year contract extensions, including midfielders Alexander Faurlin and Karl Henry along with defender Clint Hill.

Midfielders Ben Gladwin and former Town loan signing Massimo Luongo have joined from Swindon, winger Jamie Mackie has returned to Loftus Road from Nottingham Forest and one time Blue Jay-Emmanuel Thomas has joined on a free transfer from Bristol City.

Two strikers have arrived, German Sebastian Polter from Mainz and trialist Tyler Blackwood from American College football. Attacking midfielder Tjaronn Chery has been signed from FC Groningen and this week saw the first defender sign with the arrival of full-back James Perch from Wigan.

Little has been said about the two strikers, with 23-year-old Tyler Blackwood a signing "without the tiniest bit of risk". At 6ft 4in, 24-year-old Sebastian Polter "makes Les Ferdinand look small", "He's more than a target man. He's quick, a good finisher and has the ability to play a variety of systems."

"Welcome Trevor." Dutch player Tjaronn Chery is "a high-energy athletic left-footed playmaker who is not afraid to have a shot from distance." The 27-year-old is "a freekick specialist who can also thread strikers through", "His technique is good and he can play in a range of roles across midfield."

"Ben Gladwin seems very composed on the ball, big and strong and with a decent shooting technique." The 22-year-old "has good touch and control and has a cracking shot", "He moves in and around the box like a natural goal-scorer. He can play out wide but mainly operates in the centre."

"I'm very happy with the signing of Luongo." The Australia international "is a box-to-box midfielder with a great engine, although predominantly attacking. He is excellent at sitting in gaps between opposing defence and midfield. He would need Henry in the team with him to be played correctly."

One concern was raised about the 22-year-old. "He has tremendous ability but can totally capitulate when the team isn't playing well", "He has gone missing regularly since the Asian Cup [in January]. It could be down to fatigue but shouldn't detract from the fact that Luongo is technically fantastic."

"Happy enough with that", "So, just four defenders to go." The arrival of James Perch from the Latics has been greeted with a mixture of happiness and relief. "I really like this guy and can't believe he has not been snapped up by a good Championship or lower Premier League club."

"Perch is a player in the mould of some of the signings Neil Warnock made before his promotion season, including Shaun Derry or Clint Hill. He is a solid Championship performer with an excellent attitude", "He is the sort of unglamorous signing we will need", "A really solid signing."

Jay-Emmanuel Thomas
"I would be surprised if JET started but he's a very good squad player and useful off the bench", "He's one of those players who could really kick on and do the business if he applies himself to it", "He has a lot of pace and a thunderbolt of a left foot", "At 24 and a free transfer, what's not to like?"

QPR fans have been guarded in their welcoming comments. "He always gave me the impression he was coasting in second gear, so I think there is a better player waiting to emerge", "He should be a decent player for Championship. It did not work out at Arsenal but he's young enough to improve."

"He has always looked like he has talent but couldn't get consistency", "Maybe he just needs the right coaching", "JET is a bit of an enigma. He could be a shrewd powerful attacking midfielder with two good feet who has all the ability in the world. It's up to him."

Jamie Mackie
"Hopefully we will have 11 Jamie Mackies next season and the players will wear their hearts on their sleeves", "At last we will have a team with some energy in it, energy we have not had since Mackie left", "He adds commitment, pace and some half-decent finishing to a squad with a weak attack."

"I would have him back in a shot." Fans are delighted at the return of the 29-year-old both for the football and leadership he will bring. "He won't be expensive and won't be expected to score over 20 goals a season, but he's the right type of player and - guess what - we're in the Championship."

Message Boards
The busiest Fulham forum is the polite Friends of Fulham , while our sister site Loft for Words is both highly informative and insightful on all things QPR.

Brentford are the one remaining team to look at and they will be the subject of the first full match preview on Friday ahead of Saturday's first game of our league campaign.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/27782/?

WhiteJC

Cardiff City v Fulham: Who should start the campaign for the Bluebirds? Our pundits pick their teams

Pre-season is over and the players have had their chance to impress, it's time to pick your Cardiff City team to face Fulham

Terry Phillips' Team
The Bluebirds have done all their preparation working off a basic 4-4-2 when they don't have possession. It's far from strict with Anthony Pilkington and Joe Ralls able to move inside, while Scott Malone, in particular, and Lee Peltier are encouraged to get forward in support.

The big problem is that within that playing system I can't find a place for Sammy Ameobi. Is he a winger or a forward? It doesn't matter. Sammy is on the bench. There is no question that if David Marshall does move to West Brom that City will move quickly for a replacement, but Simon Moore will start against Fulham.

There is a decent argument that the highly promising Ben Wilson deserves a chance, but Moore has the league experience and has done well in pre-season.

With Bruno Manga and Ben Turner injured, Sean Morrison and Matt Connolly will be City's centre-backs. Lee Peltier and Scott Malone must start in the full-back positions.

The partnerships growing between Peltier and Pilkington, Ralls and Malone, Morrison/Connolly and Dikgacoi must be allowed to blossom.

I wasn't sure about Malone, but he has won me over with some quality work down the left. When he is on the charge, Ralls slips in to cover. That has worked a treat.

Fabio is a contender and I enjoy watching Declan John play, but Malone is the best of the three defensively and that is decisive.

The back five selection is pretty straightforward, but there are big decisions further forward. Where does Ameobi fit in? How fit is Kagisho Dikgacoi? Should Aron Gunnarsson, who has had a minor hip problem, or Stuart O'Keefe slot into the defensive role?

Ameobi should miss out on this one. Gunnarsson, if fit, and O'Keefe should be alongside him on the bench to cover Dikgacoi.

Pilkington is a class act and Ralls has been a revelation on the left. Neither can be left out, while Peter Whittingham seems to be loving the freedom provided by having the protection of Dikgacoi and Ralls either side of him.

City have tried Joe Mason and Ameobi together in attack during pre-season, but that doesn't look a natural fit. Both enjoy striking from deep, playing the number 10 role and are not as comfortable leading the way.

Mason and Eoin Doyle together will ensure Cardiff set out to play a passing game. The quality, movement and running of those two, who have both said they enjoy playing together, makes them a potent threat.

Alex Revell is unlucky to miss out after his two-goal salvo at Bournemouth, but he will surely join Kenwyne Jones among the subs to give City strong options for change over the 90 minutes.

Terry's Team (4-4-2): Moore; Peltier, Connolly, Morrison, Malone; Pilkington, Digkacoi, Whittingham, Ralls; Mason, Doyle

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-v-fulham-who-9793197?

WhiteJC

Flag Bearer

Have your young Whites supporter play their part in Fulham's first home match of the new season!

A number of Flag Bearer places are available to purchase for our home fixture against Brighton & Hove Albion (Saturday 15th August, 3pm), offering our youngest Fulham fans the opportunity to experience all of the exciting pre-match atmosphere and welcome Kit Symons' side onto the Craven Cottage turf for the first time in 2015/16.

Priced at £55 per person*, a Flag Bearer package also includes:

Access to our Flag Bearers Executive Suite
Food served in the lounge prior to kick-off, with adult and kids meals served
Soft drinks, tea and coffee inclusive, with access to a cash bar for all other beverages
Child on pitch before kick-off to welcome the Whites and their opponents
Matchday programme for every guest
This package is currently available to buy online, or by phone via our Hospitality team on (+44) 020 8336 7555.

*£55 per person +VAT. For example one adult and one child is £110, two adults and one child is £165, etc)

A minimum of 10 Flag bearers required and a maximum of 15, and this should be for children aged 5 -12 years old. All children will be given an FFC jacket to wear for the day however they will need to bring black tracksuit bottoms and trainers.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/august/05/flag-bearer?

WhiteJC

Grant's Season Preview

Under-21s boss Peter Grant outlines his hopes and expectations for the upcoming campaign as Fulham start life in Division Two of the Barclays Premier League.

With the senior players at U21 level hoping to be playing a part in First Team matters, Grant confirmed that it will be a somewhat youthful side being put out at U21 level this term, with the campaign kicking off in a behind-closed-doors league meeting with Brighton & Hove Albion on Friday.

"No doubt we will have a younger side, most the 18s will be playing Under-21 football this year – five or six of them were starters at the end of last year," he told the official website. "A lot of the boys were travelling with the First Team when they had some injuries last season.

"The Championship is different, a lot of games come thick and fast, they're involved with the First Team or are travelling with them, and it's difficult to get them game time.

"Some of those boys who played for the 21s last year are that little bit older, they probably need that time to get out on loan now, they have to spread their wings to get better and that's part of their growth period.

"Obviously that leaves us younger but that's good for them, they've got to come out of their comfort zone sooner or later. I guarantee there will be five, six, seven starters who are Under-18 in our team and that's why we've tried to make home games Friday evening so we can benefit from someone who's not travelling with Kit."

But Grant was keen to stress age is just a number and he still has high expectations for the new campaign.

"If you're young and hungry and work hard to add to your abilities to improve your game, age doesn't matter," he said. "At 18 years old you can sometimes have 100 games under your belt, you'll have no complaints about the age, it's just the performances we are looking at.

"We have to put in players who are earning that right, not just because they're older, they've got to earn the right to pull on the shirt and that's important to have a competitive edge daily in the group.

"I always say to the boys, one of the boys stood next to you is desperate to get a contract come the end of the season and vice versa, so the only time you're teammates is on that pitch on Saturday supporting each other, the rest of the time it's a competitive edge, making sure you're the best and getting selected first."

Although results are not the be all and end all at this level, Grant is keen to create a winning mentality in the camp.

"It's not about the result but we've got to get them in the mentality of wanting to win, there's got to be a competitive edge," he stressed. "I hate losing at any time, I know it's a development group and you're trying to develop players but part of your development is learning to win."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/august/05/grants-season-preview?

WhiteJC

Manchester United set to sign DJ Buffonge

Manchester United are set to sign Fulham Under-18 midfielder DJ Buffonge later this week.

This is according to Goal.com journalist Greg Stobart, who revealed the news on Twitter on Tuesday afternoon.

"Manchester United investing in youth as well as first team," Stobart tweeted. "Told they will sign Fulham u18 midfielder DJ Buffonge this week #MUFC".

http://www.givemesport.com/609349-manchester-united-set-to-sign-dj-buffonge?autoplay=on

WhiteJC

Fulham fans must set realistic expectations

As we approach the much anticipated start of the season I feel it is once again time for us all as Fulham fans to set our expectations for the year ahead.

Outside of the fact that the club are yet to release this season's home kit for fans to buy, in lieu of no confirmed sponsor, things appear to be in much better shape than they were a year ago.

The acquisitions made seem on the face of it well thought out, and despite the signing of Sakari Mattila being the classic token random one, we seem to have a much greater sense of balance this season. Not only are the likes of Bettinelli, LVC, Woodrow etc all a year further down the line in having a season of first-team football under their belts, but the recent additions have nearly all fallen within the age bracket we so desperately have lacked.

Having a supporting cast of 30-somethings patching up the cracks that our youth team have been unable to fill was the legacy that our relegation from the Premier League left us with last season. With the likes of Cairney, O'Hara, Pringle, Jazz Richards and, on a more short-term basis, Garbutt, we have a pocket of players in the previously underrepresented mid-20s bracket who not only are fully ready for first-team football week in, week out, but are equally capable of growing with the club as we embark on what is a two/three-year plan to secure promotion. Admitedly we are still a few pieces of the jigsaw away from having a solid base but I certainly think Kit deserves credit for the good work done over the summer.

It is very easy for those expectations amongst fans to creep back up to dangerous levels though, and there will no doubt be some early calls for our inexperienced manager's head given a slip up or two in the coming weeks. Whenever you feel the need to call for a new man at the helm, just keep in mind who else is out there and be careful what you wish for. Symons is still learning, he will at times make some basic mistakes but also there is a chance that we could end up developing a better manager than we could attract, as well as having the bonus of being a club legend.

On a personal note I have found Kit's recent interiews on the website to be extremely encouraging and as a coach he seems to have benefited personally from a pre season under his control.

Don't go expecting promotion this year. Given the addition of a centre-back or two there is definitely a chance for the play-offs, although a top 10 finish would be more realistic. It sounds silly to say but clubs can get promoted too quickly and we are certainly not ready for the Premier League again yet. This season will definitely be better than the last, but remember to keep those expectations in check and understand that while we have made huge strides over the summer, we still have a long way to go!

Here's to a good start on Saturday! COYW !

http://www.shoot.co.uk/fulham-fans-must-set-realistic-expectations/?

WhiteJC

Fans on Twitter react to Rangers' signing of Konchesky

QPR's signing of Paul Konchesky has brought a mixed reaction from fans on Twitter.

Some feared the 34-year-old may block the path of teenage full-back Cole Kpekawa.

Konchesky is back in west London five years after leaving Fulham, having played for the Whites in the 2010 Europa League final – and their supporters seemed disappointed not to have him back.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/features-comment/i-cant-believe-it-mixed-reaction-from-qpr-fans-to-konchesky-deal-wls-football

WhiteJC

Fulham loanee Luke Garbutt out for six weeks with ankle ligament injury
Luke Garbutt suffered the injury against Crystal Palace on Saturday
22-year-old left back joined Fulham on a season-long loan last month
Garbutt recenrly penned a new five-year deal with parent club Everton

Fulham's loan signing from Everton Luke Garbutt has suffered a blow ahead of the new season as the left back revealed he will be out for six weeks with an ankle ligament injury.

The highly rated 22-year-old joined the Championship club on a season-long loan.

However, he limped out of their friendly with Crystal Palace on Saturday after 70 minutes.

Fulham loan signing Luke Garbutt (left) is out for the next six weeks with an ankle ligament injury

He said he was 'gutted' by tweeting: 'The latest on my injury is disappointing I'm out for six weeks.

I will do everything to get back on the pitch as soon as possible. It's my left ankle ligament.'

The full back penned a new five-year deal with Everton last month but was seeking first-team experience.

Toffees boss Roberto Martinez wanted the former Leeds academy man to go out and further himself.

The 22-year-old (left) suffered the injury during Fulham's pre-season friendly vs Crystal Palace on Saturday

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3186109/Fulham-loanee-Luke-Garbutt-six-weeks-ankle-ligament-injury.html#ixzz3i19zaujv
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham Season Preview
by CHRIS GILBERTSON on AUGUST 5, 2015

Transfers (IN):
Ben Pringle (Rotherham), Andy Lonergan (Bolton), Jamie O'Hara (Blackpool), Tom Cairney (Blackburn), Ashley Richards (Swansea), Luke Garbutt (Everton – loan), Sakari Mattila (Aalesunds)

Transfers (OUT):
Patrick Roberts (Manchester City), Bryan Ruiz (Sporting), Ryan Williams (Barnsley), Adil Chihi (released), Tim Hoogland (released, now VFL Bochum), Gabor Kiraly (released, now Szombathely), Josh Passley (released, now Dagenham & Redbridge), Hugo Rodallega (released, now Akhisarspor), Dino Fazlic (released), Mark Fotheringham (released), Lyle Della Verde (released, now Fleetwood Town), Elsad Zverotic (released, now FC Sion), Jonathan Buatu (released, Wassl-Beveren), Tom Richards (released, now Aldershot), Solomon Sambou (released), Kostas Safylidis (loan return), Michael Turner (loan return), James Husband (loan return), Danny Gurthrie (loan return, now Blackburn), Richard Lee (loan return, now retired), Maarten Stekelenburg (Southampton – loan), Stephen Arthurworry (Yeovil Town – loan), Liam Donnelly (loan – Crawley), Mesca (AEL Limassol – loan)

Players likely to leave before the window closes:
Fernando Amorebieta, Kostas Mitroglou, Thomas Eisfeld

Signing of the Summer:
This is a tough one, as our transfer business has so far has been good across the board. The standout buy is probably Tom Cairney. The midfielder arrives at Fulham from Blackburn, where he was the creative force in a team that was not short of goals last season. He's a central midfield playmaker by trade but is also able to operate on the right. As long as he's played in the right position, Fulham's new Number 10 has the chance to become one of Fulham's key players week in week out. I'm also a big fan of the Ben Pringle signing as our lack of width was a significant problem last season. Pringle's arrival fills a key need whilst taking a top player away from a division rival. Jamie O'Hara's free transfer arrival also represents a low risk, high reward deal that could prove a masterstroke.

Biggest Worry:
The Defence. Whilst our transfer business has been universally well received so far, the glaring omission is the lack of any new central defenders. For a team whose main weakness is its defence, the lack of reinforcements at centre back is a genuine concern. This doesn't appear for the lack of trying, but Brighton have unsurprisingly so far been reluctant to sell us Lewis Dunk. With three days till opening day there are questions why Fulham haven't moved onto other targets. It may also be a lot to expect of Dunk or another player to have an immediate midas touch. Fulham's defence will be a work in progress for the first portion of the season, with no one guaranteed their place in the back five following Luke Garbutt's ankle ligament injury picked up against Crystal Palace, which has re-exposed another glaring weakness with the left back out for six weeks. Uncertainty over Marcus Bettinelli's future also means Andy Lonergan may be playing more than initially expected.

Biggest Regret:
Not to have seen more of Patrick Roberts in a Fulham shirt before he left for Manchester City. Lots has been said and written on Roberts' transfer to Man City which doesn't need rehashing, but Roberts was an exciting talent and it'll be a shame not to see him wear the white of Fulham again.

Coaching staff:
There is an air of positivity at Fulham at the moment, fuelled by Kit Symons and his players saying they are targeting promotion. Yet going into the summer there were significant question marks lingering over the future of Kit Symons. Seemingly only a minority of fans wanted him to stay on as manager. Given the circumstances in which he became manager, perhaps some of the criticism was unfair, but question marks over Symons managerial ability will resurface should Fulham not get off to a decent start. With his own squad now at his disposal and a full pre-season under the belt, the pressure is on Symons to get this squad firing. It's worth remembering though, that with Mike Rigg controlling transfers the lack of a new central defence isn't solely down to Symons.

Highlight of the Off-Season:
The vastly improved media output from the club. Albeit the bar was set reasonably low, but the video content this summer has been the best the club has put out in years. The three way interview with Kit Symons, Mike Rigg and Alastair Mackintosh set the tone early, with entertaining and informative interviews and features proving regular this summer. The club has provided extensive highlights of the pre-season friendlies and used GoPro cameras to provide unusual and additional films from the team's summer training camps on their YouTube channel. On top of this, the club has launched a new match day preview radio show for fans not able to go to games. All in all, a tip of the cap in the club's direction.

Lowlight of the Off-Season
All the above being said, the club have rather botched the revealing of this season's playing strips. No it's not a big deal in the scheme of things, and in truth, the new home kit actually looks excellent, but with less than a week to go before the start of the new season there is still some uncertainty over what we'll be playing in at Cardiff. The "deliberate" leaking to Channel 5 for the advert for their new highlights show was actually a clever idea if it was indeed deliberate, however, the whole thing just feels a bit slapdash. Especially given that the "leak" wasn't followed up with a marketing reveal.

Summer signings have all been revealed in polo shirts and even now, after the team actually played in a sponsor-less version of the new kit against Crystal Palace, there is still no sign of the final version. After last year's garish monstrosity there will be many a fan who would like to get to the shop before the Brighton game on the 15th. The delay is undoubtedly due to a lack of confirmed sponsor and hopefully the good looking new kit won't be ruined by a hideous logo when one is announced and as long as the sponsor isn't heinous, this is a lowlight that can easily become a highlight.

Similarly, the club cut it fine to start delivering new season ticket cards, but with them now on the way all will be forgotten with the first 3 points of the season.

Key Player:
Ross McCormack. It is hard to overstate Ross' importance to Fulham. He was the landslide player of last season and as club Vice-Captain carries an important leadership role. With a better supporting cast meaning he should play the entire season up front, hopefully his goals can fire us up the table and not just away from the bottom.

Under the Radar Key Player:
Shaun Hutchinson. Fulham fans can't seem to decide on which of the existing centre backs at the club are any good. There is a vast swathe of fans who believe it is none. However, I fall in the camp that believes Shaun Hutchinson is the best of what we have. What he hasn't had in his Fulham career so far is an experienced and regular partner to help him. He doesn't yet have one, but it is hard to believe Fulham will end the transfer window without signing another centre back. Either way, Hutchinson figures to play a key role this season and how he copes will be a big determining factor in how we do.

Unanswered Question #1: Who Partners McCormack Up Front?
Pre-season hasn't shed much light on how Symons intends to line up come Cardiff on Saturday. It looked as though Matt Smith would start the season in the team, but his demotion to the side that played at Colchester last Saturday raises more questions than answers. Cauley Woodrow partnered McCormack against Crystal Palace but the young striker has looked inconsistent in front of goal. The wild card is Moussa Dembele, who's bulked up and looks ready for regular first team football. Adam Taggart is also on the books but is likely in need of a loan spell to regain sharpness after a year out injured. Rumours that we're in for Crystal Palace forward Dwight Gayle suggest Symons and Rigg may not be happy with the current options and there is also a chance Symons opens the season with a 5 man midfield leaving McCormack on his own.

Unanswered Question #2: Will Dembele, Hyndman and Bettinelli be at the club in September?
Aside from Lasse Vigen Christensen, who seems firmly embedded in the first team, there are persistent rumours that Dembele and Emerson Hyndman, both with only a year left to run, won't sign new contracts. With Marcus Bettinelli, who's also yet to sign a new contract, still rumoured to be the subject of interest from Chelsea, there are doubts over the long term future of some of the club's brightest young stars. Dembele and Hyndman need game time and while you feel both could help the first team it is hard to see either starting regularly, but should they sign new deals, loan moves may follow in order to guarantee game time.

Quick Fire Season Preview:

League Prediction:
Between 7th and 10th – good enough for top half but not making the playoffs with this defence.

Top Scorer:
Ross McCormack

Most Assists:
Ben Pringle

Random Prediction:
Lasse Vigen Christensen to captain the side at some point

Most Looking Forward To:
Having a corner taker beat the first man

Least Looking Forward To:
Losing the debate with my wife every Saturday about putting the highlights on now they are on at the prime time of 9pm on a Saturday night meaning I'll still watch them on sky+ on a Saturday morning.

All I want For Transfer Deadline Day Is:
To have not left signing a centre back to the last minute

Two words to sum up my feelings towards the new season:
Cautiously optimistic

COYW

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2015/08/fulham-season-preview/?

WhiteJC

Season Ticket Packs

Supporters are advised that all Adult Season Ticket Cards and Welcome Packs have been posted and will be with you over the next few days. The majority of Junior packs are also on their way, and the remaining packs will be posted First Class by Thursday 6th August, and will arrive shortly after.

Membership cards and Junior Membership Welcome Packs will be posted to supporters from Friday 7th August. Any Members who have bought a ticket to either the Brighton or Huddersfield fixture will be issued with a paper ticket.

Season Ticket Holders and Members are reminded that this season they will all receive a new Season Ticket Card. Previous Season Ticket cards will not gain access to the ground.

We thank you for your support and look forward to welcoming you back to Craven Cottage, cheering on London's Original!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/august/05/season-ticket-packs?

WhiteJC

Fulham Favourite Heading Back to London

Nestling in the gossip column of a well-respected tabloid publication, is the inference that a former Fulham favourite is heading back to London.

The good people of The Sun are suggesting that Paul Konchesky is surplus to requirements at Leicester City.

Their inference is that the thirty-four year old is heading to Loftus Road on a season long loan which, if true, will mean that Konchesky will face Fulham twice in this coming season.

Also, if the deal does go ahead Konchesky will join that unique band of players that have played for not one, not to, not three, not four, but FIVE London clubs with Konchesky having already been on the books of:

• Charlton Athletic

• Tottenham Hotspur

• West Ham United

• Fulham

Now that would be some achievement would it not!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=407878#ixzz3i1BSCfio

WhiteJC

Garbutt Injury Update

After reviewing the injury picked up by Luke Garbutt during last Saturday's friendly against Crystal Palace, the Club can confirm the following:

A scan revealed that Luke suffered some ligament damage to his ankle, and he is expected to be out for 4-6 weeks.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/august/05/garbutt-injury-update?

WhiteJC

Kenwyne Jones to miss Championship opener with either Sammy Ameobi or Alex Revell starting against Fulham

Russell Slade must now decide on whether to partner Ameobi or Revell with Joe Mason in the first game of the season this weekend

Sammy Ameobi or Alex Revell will lead Cardiff City's attack against Fulham on Saturday as Kenwyne Jones misses out on the Championship opener.

Centre-forward Jones has been ruled out of the first league game at Cardiff City Stadium after suffering a minor muscle injury in training.

"Kenwyne is a little sore and won't be risked," said Bluebirds manager Russell Slade.

"We are hopeful he won't be out for long."

The loss of Jones is a blow for Cardiff, although Revell looked sharp when he scored twice in a 3-2 pre-season win at Bournemouth and 6ft 4ins Ameobi can play through the middle.

Joe Mason, who is in excellent form and has already scored four goals, is a certainty to play in attack and Slade must decide between Revell and Ameobi as his strike partner.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kenwyne-jones-miss-championship-opener-9798855?

WhiteJC

Blow for Fulham as Garbutt is ruled out

New Fulham signing Luke Garbutt faces six weeks out with an ankle injury.

The 22-year-old, on loan from Everton, has suffered ligament damage in his left ankle.

It means he could miss the Whites' first seven league games as well as the Capital One Cup tie at Wycombe next Tuesday.

The England Under-21 international joined Fulham on a season-long loan deal less than two weeks ago.

He played 70 minutes of the friendly with Crystal Palace on Saturday before being replaced by Kay Voser, who along with Sean Kavanagh will be in contention to replace Garbutt for the Championship opener at Cardiff this weekend.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/blow-for-fulham-as-garbutt-is-ruled-out?

WhiteJC

Reading swoop for striker Sa
Reading have made former Fulham striker Orlando Sa their first signing of the summer.

The 27-year-old, capped once by Portugal, has agreed a three-year contract after joining for an undisclosed fee from Legia Warsaw.

Sa made a flying visit to sign for the Championship club on Monday afternoon, and has flown back home for the birth of his new baby.

He will return to England next weekend, to travell with the squad for their pre-season tour to Thailand on Sunday, July 12.

Royals manager Steve Clarke told the club website: "The striking department was one area of the team that everyone agreed needed strengthening this season.

"Obviously Orlando's goal record is really impressive but, for me, I was most impressed by his answer to my question about why he wanted to come to play for Reading in the Championship.

"Immediately he replied 'I want to play in the Premier League again and Reading can take me there'.

"He is motivated to prove that his previous spell in England with Fulham came too early in his career. He is a strong player who leads the line well and has an eye for a goal. I'm sure he will be a big asset to the squad this season."

http://www.football365.com/reading/9898344/-?

WhiteJC

American Exports: U-20 standout Emerson Hyndman turns down extension offers with Fulham

AMSTERDAM – Hot transfer topic Emerson Hyndman has already turned down multiple extension offers from Fulham, MLSsoccer.com has learned.

A source close to the situation confirmed that Fulham have actively been trying to swing a fresh deal with Hyndman, who will run out of contract at the end of the coming Championship season. As reported by Goal.com earlier this week, clubs in England, Germany, the Netherlands and Spain have shown interest in the 2015 Under-20 World Cup standout and former FC Dallas youth product. 

Both Goal.com and various German outlets have additionally reported that Stuttgart recently put in a transfer offer for Hyndman. However, a pair of German sources told MLSsoccer.com that the Schwabians were not expecting to make any more moves before the summer transfer window closes at month's end. The Bundesliga side also have a host of young central and attacking midfield prospects behind expected starters Daniel Didavi and Alexandru Maxim, in both the first team and the reserves.

Hyndman, who made his US senior team debut last September, worked nine league contests and a pair of Capital One Cup matches last term. The youngster excelled with a team-best 88.9 passing percentage, just shy of league leader Dan Gosling's 90.2 percent completion rate.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/08/05/american-exports-u-20-standout-emerson-hyndman-turns-down-extension-offers-f?

WhiteJC

Burgess out to fly with Fulham

Australian defender Cameron Burgess is out to cement a spot in Fulham's first-team squad as the English Championship kicks off this weekend.

The 19-year-old centre back made his debut for the Cottagers last season and has been with Fulham for the past four years.

After receiving some game-time in pre-season, starting in matches against Colchester United and Hertha Berlin, the youth international says he ready to go for the new campaign.

Fulham start the Championship away to Cardiff City on Saturday.

"Pre-season has gone great so far," Burgess told FourFourTwo.

"I've been playing a good amount in pre-season and played quite well, so far I've been very happy. I'm not sure of the squad yet (for Cardiff), I'll just have to wait and see.

"I'm still just taking it one day at a time and doing the best I can. I haven't had any conversations (with the manager)] as of yet but I'm happy with my involvement so far."

Fulham had a difficult first season after being relegated from the Premier League, finishing 17th out of 24 teams. Regardless, Burgess says promotion is the goal for the London club this term.

"Promotion is the aim one hundred per cent," he said.

"It will be extremely tough – it's up there with the hardest leagues to get promoted from. Anyone can beat anyone and there are always points dropped.

"There are a lot of quality teams this year and I couldn't limit it to any danger teams to a few because there are many of them."

Burgess made four appearances for Fulham in 2014-2015 before joining Scottish side Ross County on loan in January. The defender did not make an appearance with the Staggies before returning to Craven Cottage at the end of the season.

"It wasn't a great experience footballing-wise, but I learned a lot for myself," Burgess admits.

"I didn't play much football there but I learned how it all works at that level."

The Young Socceroo and Olyroo, who was born in Scotland but raised in Australia, has been reportedly linked with a loan move to the A-League in the off-season. Burgess says this is news to him.

"I haven't heard anything about that," he said.

"Honestly I haven't heard anything from any A-League clubs. I'm going to wait and see what happens, but I want to be playing games this season and if that's on loan, then I'm very happy with that."

Meanwhile, fellow Australian Adam Taggart is making his return to full fitness at Fulham and Burgess believes the Socceroo, who has endured a horror run of injuries in English football, has got his touch back.

"He has had a very good pre-season and has been very sharp in both training and games," he said.

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/burgess-out-fly-fulham#07vthYOmxyO4sHhl.99