watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Squad Numbers for Newbies

Started by Lighthouse, February 02, 2010, 12:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

Fulham completed the loan signings of striker Stefano Okaka and defender Nicky Shorey on Monday afternoon and the Club can confirm squad numbers for the two players ahead of Wednesday night's game against Portsmouth.

Roma striker and Italy U21 international Okaka will wear the number 9 shirt whilst former England defender Shorey will wear Fulham's nuber 7 shirt.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/February/SquadNumbers.aspx#ixzz0eNar8ImZ
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

AlFayedsChequebook

Okaka has a pretty sweet squad number.

Without wanting to read too much into it, does this mean that he will get more playing time than we first thought?

finnster01

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on February 02, 2010, 12:35:41 PM

Without wanting to read too much into it, does this mean that he will get more playing time than we first thought?
Maybe, maybe not. Nevland is number 10, and so was Reg Stratton
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

wadey

the new lad from liverpool didnt get a number.......dont expect to see him in 1st team action anytime soon

WhiteJC

the atricle goes on to say....

Be amongst the first to see Fulham's new additions when Roy Hodgson's side take on Portsmouth at Craven Cottage on Wednesday evening! Wednesday's game is absolutely vital and your support could make all the difference so get behind the team by purchasing your tickets now| !

so both of them will play against Pompy?

TonyGilroy

Quote from: finnster01 on February 02, 2010, 12:38:27 PM

No squad numbers in Reg's day.

If he wore 10 he was inside left and the Maestro wasn't playing.

finnster01

Quote from: TonyGilroy on February 02, 2010, 12:52:17 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on February 02, 2010, 12:38:27 PM

No squad numbers in Reg's day.

If he wore 10 he was inside left and the Maestro wasn't playing.

Reg stratton wore number 10 more often than not. Just check with Mr CorkedHat

TonyGilroy

But they weren't squad numbers.

You wore the shirt appropriate for your position so left back wore 3 and centre half 5. Outside right was 7 and centre forward 9. Stan Brown wore all the shirts apart from 1 but never at the same time. If you switched position during the game you didn't change shirt.

In the early 70s we started numbering in 4-3-3 formation so that the left back now wore 5 and I remember this confusing some elderly home fans at Bramall Lane who couldn't understand why our left back played centre half and vice versa.

finnster01

We all know there were no "squad" numbers as that rule wasn't invented back then. By the same token, most people know what number Pele wore for Brazil. The same as Reg Stratton.

TonyGilroy

Now I'm stuck at work without my copy of Fulham -The Complete Record but I reckon that the majority of Reg's many games for FFC were at centre forward so I think it's the number 9 shirt that should be retired in his honour.

Let Haynes have 10.

finnster01

I raised the Reg Stratton number question a while back as I was contemplating getting a custom made Fulham shirt for Stratton my bulldog and needed a number. The consensus was at the time (including CorkedHat and LBNo11) was that although Reg wore a few numbers, he wore the number 10 more often than not.

TonyGilroy

I have the books at home.

I'll try to post a definitive answer to this later. My monies on 9, or even 7 or 8 before 10.

He can only have worn 10 in Haynes absence and Reg was a supreme goalscorer not a midfield workhorse

finnster01

Quote from: TonyGilroy on February 02, 2010, 01:26:00 PM

I have the books at home.

I'll try to post a definitive answer to this later. My monies on 9, or even 7 or 8 before 10.

He can only have worn 10 in Haynes absence and Reg was a supreme goalscorer not a midfield workhorse
Thanks Mr Tony,

I would appreciate a definite as a single digit would be a lot easier to put on a dog's back

Lighthouse

Reg played with the number 9 shIrt more often than 10 or 11. Something like a ratio of 11 to 8
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope