watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army

Started by bog, August 07, 2015, 05:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

As an aside we do not have a very good record against Cardiff. I recall back in the early '60's in Div 1 we lost 0-2 at home. Peter Donnelly scored one of the goals and he ended up playing parks football in and around Margate during the 1970's/80's.
I do recall one home win in about 1968. A 4-3 home win, a great game, with Jimmy Conway getting the winner after Roger Cross had scored an absolute 35 yard stunner at the Hammersmith End. Does anyone else recall that game?   

092.gif

Holders

I don't think that Roger Cross was with us in 1968, I think he joined in about 1971. I do remember a home game against them about that time, can't remember the score but maybe a 0-0 draw. I thought that Cardiff were a dirty team and their supporters aggressive and unpleasant.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

LBNo11

...in our 1968 home game against Cardiff we lost 1-5. Johnny Haynes who was temporary (reluctant) manager resigned and Trinder was roundly booed on a truly miserable December day. The only bright moment on this day was Les Barrett's fantastic goal taken on the volley.

The game you are alluding too Mike was the meeting against the Bluebirds in November 1971 and a 4-3 win for us Lilliewhites, Roger Cross scored a stunner and set one up for Jimmy Conway who nodded it home, Jimmy also scored a cracker for his second goal and Steve Earle was our other scorer - a real end to end game, very entertaining for the paltry 10,700 in attendance...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

LBNo11

...and here is one of Ken Coton's finest photo's of my hero Les Barrett volleying in that goal against Cardiff:-

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC