watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Answerable to whom?

Started by Peabody, July 23, 2010, 01:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

I totally understand the anger that the release of the Lockerbie Bomber has caused in the States. However, who do these senators think they are? In case you are not aware, they have asked that British and Scottish Ministers attend an enquiry being held in Washington to answer questions concerning the supposed involvment of BP in this incident. Jack Straw has said he might attend but quite rightly, the Scottish Ministeers have said no and reminded people that they are only answerable to the Scottish Parliment and their voters.

Lighthouse

Actually if the American Senators want to play this game, maybe we should open up another enquiry on the way the  evidence was collected against the so called bomber. If you remember two men were accused, both doubtful, and only one was found guilty. Some of the evidence has since proved to be very suss.

The Americans and others wanted a fall guy, they found him, he was imprisoned and now he is released because he is going to die soon from Prostrate Cancer.

Ws there a deal by Blair and BP with Libya? Who cares, the wrong bloke was put behind bars anyway.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

HatterDon

This thread is all about me calling Fulham The Keystone Kops yesterday, isn't it?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Lighthouse

The backlash begins Hatter. Had you used the term Fred Karno's Circus - then you would have made your point with a British music hall phrase around the time of the Keystone Cops. But no you come on here with your American cultural references. You brought all this on yourself.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Rupert

Quote from: Peabody on July 23, 2010, 01:04:30 PM
However, who do these senators think they are?

Why, they think they are the people who invented democracy, no less.

It will come as no surprise to anyone on here to learn that one of the birthplaces of modern democracy is within a Jim Stannard goal kick of Craven Cottage. As you cross Putney Bridge, on the far bank you will see a small, unpretentious church, twin of the one on the Fulham side of the river. This is Putney parish church, and in 1647 that is where the newly victorious New Model Army sent its representatives to meet with Oliver Cromwell and make clear their intention of having a say in the future running of the Three Kingdoms. These became known as the Putney Debates.
At first Cromwell was set against them, he represented the minor landowners and lesser nobility who stood to gain most from the end of the Civil War, but he soon realised that a dozen fully armed regiments of Horse and a dozen more of Foote had political power, so set himself up as their champion and was well on his way to becoming head of state after King Charles got the chop.
Even though the Commonwealth did not long outlast Cromwell, the legend of freeborn Englishmen (not women, mind) having a say in their own rule was well and truly established.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Peabody

Blimey Rupert, I never knew that.

HatterDon

Mr. Rupert says: "I have come to tell you all. I will tell you all."

Okay, Mr. the Bear, what's the source of that quote?

Rupert

Quote from: HatterDon on July 23, 2010, 06:49:06 PM

No idea, to be honest. I found something similar on a website about a hippy support group in 1970s Los Angeles, and from the context I would imagine it has classical roots (Paris [from Troy?] was mentioned), but where it actually comes from, I'm stumped.
If I have to take a wild guess, Dante's Inferno.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

HatterDon

Quote from: Rupert on July 24, 2010, 12:32:41 AM
Quote from: HatterDon on July 23, 2010, 06:49:06 PM

No idea, to be honest. I found something similar on a website about a hippy support group in 1970s Los Angeles, and from the context I would imagine it has classical roots (Paris [from Troy?] was mentioned), but where it actually comes from, I'm stumped.
If I have to take a wild guess, Dante's Inferno.

Damn, I was hoping you could bail me out. The quote came out of the blue to me and I couldn't place it. My sure-fire source for classic literature passed away last summer and I just can't place it. Perhaps Mr. Corked Hat can help us. He certainly has the background.

By the way, thanks for being the voice of reason and calm on so many of these threads. I did some of that for a time on several sites, but as I get older I tend to get more squirrly. Glad to see that the torch has passed.

LordNelson

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 23, 2010, 01:19:00 PM
Actually if the American Senators want to play this game, maybe we should open up another enquiry on the way the  evidence was collected against the so called bomber. If you remember two men were accused, both doubtful, and only one was found guilty. Some of the evidence has since proved to be very suss.

The Americans and others wanted a fall guy, they found him, he was imprisoned and now he is released because he is going to die soon from Prostrate Cancer.

Ws there a deal by Blair and BP with Libya? Who cares, the wrong bloke was put behind bars anyway.

But he's not dead now, is he mate?  Scottish justice, my arse.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"