News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

This lady was in her 70s when I started watching Fulham nearly 30 years ago.

Started by Scrumpy, July 23, 2010, 10:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrumpy

English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

CorkedHat

No sorry I don't remember her, Mr Scrumpy.
I do remember a bloke who hailed from Devon and attended every Fulham match, home and away, dressed like Freddie Fulham. He called his house "Craven Cottage" and such was his fanaticism that he was featured in one of the match day programs.
To be honest I don't think that the poor man had all his bulbs in the chandelier, but let's face it you didn't have to be mad to follow Fulham in those days, but it sure helped.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

ron

Quote from: CorkedHat on July 24, 2010, 02:10:41 AM
I do remember a bloke who hailed from Devon and attended every Fulham match, home and away, dressed like Freddie Fulham. He called his house "Craven Cottage" and such was his fanaticism that he was featured in one of the match day programs.
To be honest I don't think that the poor man had all his bulbs in the chandelier, but let's face it you didn't have to be mad to follow Fulham in those days, but it sure helped.

...His name was "Yorky" Whiting, because he originally came from "Oop North".  There must've been another reason, but the 'bulbs in the chandelier' factor would come into question if anyone decided to follow Fulham, and move from Yorkshire to the West Country in order to make it easier to get to games......!

CorkedHat

Quote from: ron on July 24, 2010, 10:33:23 AM

...His name was "Yorky" Whiting, because he originally came from "Oop North".  There must've been another reason, but the 'bulbs in the chandelier' factor would come into question if anyone decided to follow Fulham, and move from Yorkshire to the West Country in order to make it easier to get to games......!

Blimey Ron - how do you remember things like that? Old Yorky must have made an impression on you  :022:

epsomraver

There is a couple Mr CH  who sit with the Mother in law in the disabled part who come up for every home game from Torquay, Trevor and his wife.

finnster01

How about the old hag in the Hammersmith end that yells abuse for a full 90 minutes at everyone and anything? She never shuts up. I had the (dis)pleasure to sit with my daughter close to her for a season and a half, and ended up changing seats.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Fernhurst

Sorry Mr Scrumps I have no knowledge of Rachel either however would like to send my many congratulations to her through this website for being Fulham's most senior fan....the memories of 100 years in Fulham must be awesome.

I attended my first game in 1957 aged 9 and you guys must understand the crowds we were attracting were sometimes in excess of our normal gate now... so it would have been a long shot for any of us to know Rachel .... she is almost 40 years my senior.

Can I also say it is wonderful to know neighbourly concern still exists in The Fulham Borough .....Big well done to "The Worleys" for arranging the special day for Rachel.

ron

Quote from: CorkedHat on July 24, 2010, 10:58:52 AM
Quote from: ron on July 24, 2010, 10:33:23 AM

Blimey Ron - how do you remember things like that? Old Yorky must have made an impression on you  :022:

...that's one of the things about having programmes CH. He featured in one as an article in the 'sixties, and I must've looked at it a few times then, though not for very many years. Remembering it must be a mixture of impressionable age and long-term memory ....

....now, what did I do with my specs.....? :032:

CorkedHat

Quote from: epsomraver on July 24, 2010, 12:13:36 PM
There is a couple Mr CH  who sit with the Mother in law in the disabled part who come up for every home game from Torquay, Trevor and his wife.

I don't know that Yorky gained his reputation because he travelled up from Devon. Mr ER, it was because he was such a colourful character. I used to see him everywhere we played - even if we lost 9-0 as we did at Molyneux one year, old Yorky would be there laughing like a drain shaking hands with the players as though they had just won the Cup. God bless him.

epsomraver

Quote from: CorkedHat on July 24, 2010, 01:26:23 PM
Quote from: epsomraver on July 24, 2010, 12:13:36 PM

I think it is a bit before my time, as previously posted we had some real big crowds in the late 5o's early 60's

I don't know that Yorky gained his reputation because he travelled up from Devon. Mr ER, it was because he was such a colourful character. I used to see him everywhere we played - even if we lost 9-0 as we did at Molyneux one year, old Yorky would be there laughing like a drain shaking hands with the players as though they had just won the Cup. God bless him.

HatterDon

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel