https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sort the defence out.

Started by Max Headroom, August 15, 2015, 04:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Headroom

Been listening to GJ.

Continually saying that the defenders not working as a unit. Bad coaching

Same starting 5 as last season when we were dreadful. Except we have Voser who was there but not good enough last season. Burn Hutchinson and Bodurov. None are good enough. Rigg sort it out.

It isn't rocket science. Concede a ridiculous number of goals one season, and don't change things.

NogoodBoyo

But if you listened to Sean Davis, his view is that defence starts from the front.  That's where we're going wrong.  I fully agree with him.  That's why it's a management/coaching problem that needs to be addressed rather than a player issue.
Nogood "management hasn't been right since Mo's sale, isit" Boyo

Rhys Lightning 63

The fact that we are chasing Ream/Dunk/Tarkowski/any other CB you've seen us linked with at least shows we are TRYING to deal with the problem.

Obviously there are some stumbling blocks, but the fact we are doing SOMETHING rather than nothing is encouraging.
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Twig

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on August 15, 2015, 05:14:23 PM
The fact that we are chasing Ream/Dunk/Tarkowski/any other CB you've seen us linked with at least shows we are TRYING to deal with the problem.

Obviously there are some stumbling blocks, but the fact we are doing SOMETHING rather than nothing is encouraging.

The stumbling block is Khan's unwillingness ot get the bloody cheque book out.  We have spent a net zero so far this summer and have actually reduced the wage bill.  He is in the black financially but has totally failed to provide the funds (thus far) to strengthen the defence.

Kit is making do with free transfers etc.  I know he made a mistake today with the timid, unimaginative substitution but you have to look to Khan for the transfer funding.  We keep making low ball bids, come on Khan put your money where your mouth is|

Ordar

We need to stop messing about over an extra 1m and just get Dunk and Tarkowski in. That should have been done weeks ago. We also need to hire a defensive coach as there is obviously an issue with the coaching

Max Headroom

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on August 15, 2015, 05:09:33 PM
But if you listened to Sean Davis, his view is that defence starts from the front.  That's where we're going wrong.  I fully agree with him.  That's why it's a management/coaching problem that needs to be addressed rather than a player issue.

I agree with this too. I have long been saying that the defensive midfield last season wasn't up to scratch. Wasn't at the game today, just listened, so will reserve judgement until I have seen a few games.

Twig

Quote from: Ordar on August 15, 2015, 05:28:28 PM
We need to stop messing about over an extra 1m and just get Dunk and Tarkowski in. That should have been done weeks ago. We also need to hire a defensive coach as there is obviously an issue with the coaching

Exactly

fulhamben

Fcuk defence. Let's just get a proper manager. Sick of it now. He has had best part of 50 games. Ohhh but he used to play for us. Sooooo  bloody what
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Berserker

I feel manager and coaching team could be the problem
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

alfie

Quote from: Twig on August 15, 2015, 05:24:36 PM

The stumbling block is Khan's unwillingness ot get the bloody cheque book out.  We have spent a net zero so far this summer and have actually reduced the wage bill.  He is in the black financially but has totally failed to provide the funds (thus far) to strengthen the defence.

Kit is making do with free transfers etc.  I know he made a mistake today with the timid, unimaginative substitution but you have to look to Khan for the transfer funding.  We keep making low ball bids, come on Khan put your money where your mouth is|

Why do you say Khan's unwillingness, where have you got that from, it is the management team that pick the players they want.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

cookieg

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on August 15, 2015, 05:09:33 PM

We just seem to give Brighton the the time and space to play football and attack us. We don't press enough anywhere on the pitch to stop teams.

filham

It is not just the defence, first half our midfield were not in the game.

Also our left flank looked bad and Brighton played on it from the beginning'

Oh for a Rufus and a Boa.

Burgf001

Richards I thought was solid defensively and provided an attacking threat down the wing. Voser was poor but wasn't helped by Pringles having a mare. Hutchinson was dreadful and Bodurov looked meh but was at fault for their first goal

Twig

Quote from: alfie on August 15, 2015, 06:38:17 PM
Quote from: Twig on August 15, 2015, 05:24:36 PM

The stumbling block is Khan's unwillingness ot get the bloody cheque book out.  We have spent a net zero so far this summer and have actually reduced the wage bill.  He is in the black financially but has totally failed to provide the funds (thus far) to strengthen the defence.

Kit is making do with free transfers etc.  I know he made a mistake today with the timid, unimaginative substitution but you have to look to Khan for the transfer funding.  We keep making low ball bids, come on Khan put your money where your mouth is|

Why do you say Khan's unwillingness, where have you got that from, it is the management team that pick the players they want.

I say that because the management team have gone after at least 3 CB's and, as of now, have failed to sign any of them because we have consistently failed to meet the teams' valuations.  I have to assume that is down to the level of funds being made available to the management team, or presumably they would have upped these bids?  After all they have acknowledged the importance of improving the defence.

Barrie

When has Kit ever looked to have out-coach his opposite number? 

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50F using Tapatalk

Fulham76

We can't defend, there is no doubt about that, and we can all see it but unfortunately the people that matter don't see it.
The constant long balls don't help our cause. Smith wins about 90% to be fair to him but the knock downs weren't picked up by Fulham players today, which just gave the ball back to Brighton over & over again, inviting more pressure on our poor defence.

We all know the defence is crap so little point keep going over it but these horrible long balls are tactically very poor.

DeuceBigelow

Houghton brings on Ince to try and keep hold of one point for the draw, because Smith is an absolute nightmare for the opposition- sensible strategy.
Kit's response? Take off the only person causing Brighton problems. This, as Old Sod has pointed out, freed up Ince to go on the offensive instead.
Poor decision making is still lingering from last season, despite having Kit, Rigg, Curbishley coming and going from the bench today and Ali Mac.
Riverside Block W

FPT

It's individual error - I think as a team we defend quite well (since the new season started). Nikolay Bodurov is a doughnut and Kay Voser is largely all over the place. I can guess why Bodurov was put in for Brede Hangeland - Brighton have a lot of direct, penetrative runners which Dan Burn may struggle with, but Burn is by far the better centre back. We can't do much about Voser with Luke Garbutt out, Sean Kavanagh recently returning to training - though I think we'll see Tim Ream start off over there.

I know people like to dislike Sean Kavanagh, but at least he's got a bit of bite and not afraid to chuck a challenge or two in - as opposed to Kay Voser simply watching players run around him.