watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thoughts on yesterday

Started by Zendra, August 16, 2015, 08:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zendra

Probaby not much more than has been said already .  Ros was never in the  game . Smith worked hard with no luck. Great goal from Cairney. We were second best in the first half but came back strongly in the second . Deserved at least a point. Really gutted at the end - when was the last time we had a last minute penalty to win the game ?  Despite it all I think the side looked stronger than last year but at the moment I would be happy with a  mid table type season .  And...... sorry but I have no confidence with Betts ,especially  with corners . On a lighter note I think our programme is very good value at £3.50 . Went to the London Colisuim last week and was charged £10 for a programme comprising 26 pages with a lot of black and white photos - and no Les Strong column !

Arthur

Quote from: Zendra on August 16, 2015, 08:12:14 PM
Despite it all I think the side looked stronger than last year...

We do, but that's almost wholly down to O'Hara. Put Parker in his place (not that I intend this to be a criticism of him) and we'd see the same rubbish as six months ago.

FPT

I think there's also major frustration because time after time again in the second half it felt like we just needed the ball to fall in our favour - we had half chances, but no true chances and it felt as though we couldn't make the half work for us.

I still believe that we're in a state of bolts and screws needing tightening. We're clearly disjointed going forward, and that's not surprise given three new midfield players and two others being asked to play new (more restrictive) roles. Our first (and probably second choice too) left back is injured, and we're yet to bring in the centre back we've looked and grown frustrated with all summer. I don't think we've even looked that bad defensively as a team, it's just individual mistakes is where we've failed. Two of our back four yesterday are downright hopeless, and another made a stupid tackle for the penalty - flashback to Cardiff and although not quite a mistake, it's Ben Pringle's slip that allows Craig Noone in.

It's a moments sport, and moments have cost us, because we could well have six points, but I certainly believe that we're improving (and will continue to) as we restart recruitment and the team begin to gel together.

Woolly Mammoth

Every defeat or draw, somebody will find an excuse to say it will get better. Well it can't get any worse. People were saying the same thing under Felix, it will get better and give him time. Well the longer he got, the worse it got. We are seeing the same this season, anyone who thinks Symons will improve,  needs a check up from the neck up.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

YoungsBitter

Quote from: FPT on August 16, 2015, 09:40:43 PM
I think there's also major frustration because time after time again in the second half it felt like we just needed the ball to fall in our favour - we had half chances, but no true chances and it felt as though we couldn't make the half work for us.

I still believe that we're in a state of bolts and screws needing tightening. We're clearly disjointed going forward, and that's not surprise given three new midfield players and two others being asked to play new (more restrictive) roles. Our first (and probably second choice too) left back is injured, and we're yet to bring in the centre back we've looked and grown frustrated with all summer. I don't think we've even looked that bad defensively as a team, it's just individual mistakes is where we've failed. Two of our back four yesterday are downright hopeless, and another made a stupid tackle for the penalty - flashback to Cardiff and although not quite a mistake, it's Ben Pringle's slip that allows Craig Noone in.

It's a moments sport, and moments have cost us, because we could well have six points, but I certainly believe that we're improving (and will continue to) as we restart recruitment and the team begin to gel together.
I listened to Sean and GJ yesterday then watched the full 90 today. The anger from the initial loss has subsided and I think that you are right, we have been moments away from 6 points and we have played considerable minutes of great flowing football.
Plenty for us to moan about but I dont understand the knee jerk wrist slashing Kit Out stance of many people on here. Yes, McCormack is off the pace but will get better, Smith will score whereas yesterday he could not buy a goal. We will probably add some defenders and a forward before the window closes but Hutchinson actually played ok other than the ridiculous challenge that lost us the game, Richards looked good 2nd half. Bettinelli was nervous and needs to talk more if he wants to keep his place. We have our first and second choice left backs injured so Voser was actually ok for our 3rd choice.
Kit needs to be more decisive with his subs and his ability to motivate the squad is still undecided. BUT...it is way better than last season and who knows, we might go to Hull and surprise everyone.
Quark, strangeness and charm

Arthur

Quote from: Zendra on August 16, 2015, 08:12:14 PM
We were second best in the first half but came back strongly in the second .

Chris Hughton has made a huge blunder, in my opinion, with the fitness of his team. They were unable to compete properly in the final half-an-hour yesterday. From our perspective, it could be said that we came back strongly, but I think that the reality is that Brighton, due to their lack of fitness (the likes of which we shan't see in any other opposing team), handed us the initiative.

In the first-half, however, I was very impressed with how Brighton played: their passing, movement and organisation was streets ahead of ours. They played how I had hoped we would and it was greatly disappointing to see us so outclassed.

That said, we were still in the game at 1-1 when Brighton shockingly ran out of steam and, in the circumstances, a gilt-edged opportunity to pick up three points slipped through our fingers. Yet, even when we were dominant, I felt that the passing interchanges and movement among our players was noticeably inferior to our opponents when they had been in the ascendency.

There were positives: O'Hara was impressive as the linchpin of our play, and I thought that Cairney was productive (on Saturday's evidence, these two would be our strongest centre-midfield pairing) and that Richards got forward to good purpose. Overall, however, it was not the performance of a team that is going to amass upwards of 75 points.

If we sign a centre-back (or two) and a pacy striker, we may see a transformation into credible promotion challengers. On the basis of past two weekends, however, I am less optimistic as to our chances of fulfilling our manager's aim of finishing in the top six than I was on the eve of the season.

JDH101

Quote from: YoungsBitter on August 17, 2015, 12:29:32 AM

I listened to Sean and GJ yesterday then watched the full 90 today. The anger from the initial loss has subsided and I think that you are right, we have been moments away from 6 points and we have played considerable minutes of great flowing football.
Plenty for us to moan about but I dont understand the knee jerk wrist slashing Kit Out stance of many people on here. Yes, McCormack is off the pace but will get better, Smith will score whereas yesterday he could not buy a goal. We will probably add some defenders and a forward before the window closes but Hutchinson actually played ok other than the ridiculous challenge that lost us the game, Richards looked good 2nd half. Bettinelli was nervous and needs to talk more if he wants to keep his place. We have our first and second choice left backs injured so Voser was actually ok for our 3rd choice.
Kit needs to be more decisive with his subs and his ability to motivate the squad is still undecided. BUT...it is way better than last season and who knows, we might go to Hull and surprise everyone.

I'd hardly call the Kit out stance as a knee jerk reaction. Did you skip last season?

snarks

Quote from: JDH101 on August 17, 2015, 03:22:29 AM
Quote from: YoungsBitter on August 17, 2015, 12:29:32 AM

I'd hardly call the Kit out stance as a knee jerk reaction. Did you skip last season?

But that's part of the problem, last season was a cr@p start, kit took over Felix's squad, recalled a few loaneess and arranged for a few loans and finally the club were safe. He (the club) has signed good players so far this season, the CB position is one that every man and his dog knows needs improving, and it seems the club are trying.

This is Kits first season with his team. I want him to succeed, but will  not support him down blind alleys, however the Kit out brigade are a bit quick to jump on the bandwagon after an undeserved loss.

Andy S

It was an exciting game but it was a shame we lost

hovewhite

just hope we get 2 CBs then we will finish top ten.