watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A close look at the deal reveals there’s more in it for Florida than Fulham

Started by mike_corkcity12, August 17, 2015, 05:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_corkcity12

And now Shad Khan has helped broker a deal between the State's tourism marketing arm and Fulham F.C. A close look at the deal, however, reveals there's more in it for the state of Florida than for Khan or Fulham F.C., who likely could have generated more revenue from another sponsor. The deal is merely one more example of Khan's commitment to Jacksonville and Florida.

In an given year, Phipps says Florida is the #2 or #3 destination for British travelers, behind Canada and sometimes Brasil. Four or five years ago, British tourism in Florida dropped, but Phipps says it's slowly recovering.

Last year was the first year Visit Florida made the trip to London while the Jaguars were in town for the NFL's International Series. Phipps said they met with representatives from companies like British Airways and Virgin America to discuss opportunities, and activities with the Union Jax Fan Club in London gave Visit Florida the opportunity for some face-to-face interaction with potential visitors.

The Fulham F.C. deal goes beyond the jersey sponsorship in assisting Visit Florida in spreading its message to British tourists. Visit Florida will also have signage on the roof of the club's stadium, Craven Cottage. The added bonus? It's under a landing approach into Heathrow Airport.

ADVERTISING

Phipps said Visit Florida engaged Repucom to provide a third-party valuation of the sponsorship that sealed the deal.

"They came back and said for every $1 you spend, you'll get $3 in return, and they detailed exactly where it would be coming from," said Phipps. "That made it a pretty easy decision."

Last year, a recorded 1.6 million British tourists visited Florida. Increasing that number to 1.7 million or 1.8 million could be worth up to $200 million for Florida, according to Phipps.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kristidosh/2015/08/17/visit-floridas-sponsorship-of-fulham-f-c-deepens-florida-uk-ties/2/

Ged

You wouldn't advertise unless you were going to make money
Its got to be good for both parties

Logicalman

Sorry to be pedantic, but what's MORE in it for the sponsor than the club, as opposed to say, Marathon had, or Pipex, Adidas, Viagogo,etc.?

If people hadn't cottoned on to 1) the Khan-Jacksonville-Florida links and 2) the likelihood of rooftop advertising for a Holiday destination, then with all due respect, they  might be a little late in discovering this, as I mentioned the first in a thread when this deal was confirmed, and the latter is a real no-brainer.

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Jonnoj

I don't think its true that we could have generated more revenue from another sponsor.
This is a very lucrative deal for a championship club, certainly one of the highest in the league.

ToodlesMcToot

Not the first time that the shirt sponsor has also had its name on the stand rooftop (FX Pro). And no sponsor, makes a deal that they don't expect to profit from. Else, why go thru the process?
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: mike_corkcity12 on August 17, 2015, 05:07:21 PM
And now Shad Khan has helped broker a deal between the State's tourism marketing arm and Fulham F.C. A close look at the deal, however, reveals there's more in it for the state of Florida than for Khan or Fulham F.C., who likely could have generated more revenue from another sponsor. The deal is merely one more example of Khan's commitment to Jacksonville and Florida.

In an given year, Phipps says Florida is the #2 or #3 destination for British travelers, behind Canada and sometimes Brasil. Four or five years ago, British tourism in Florida dropped, but Phipps says it's slowly recovering.

Last year was the first year Visit Florida made the trip to London while the Jaguars were in town for the NFL's International Series. Phipps said they met with representatives from companies like British Airways and Virgin America to discuss opportunities, and activities with the Union Jax Fan Club in London gave Visit Florida the opportunity for some face-to-face interaction with potential visitors.

The Fulham F.C. deal goes beyond the jersey sponsorship in assisting Visit Florida in spreading its message to British tourists. Visit Florida will also have signage on the roof of the club's stadium, Craven Cottage. The added bonus? It's under a landing approach into Heathrow Airport.

ADVERTISING

Phipps said Visit Florida engaged Repucom to provide a third-party valuation of the sponsorship that sealed the deal.

"They came back and said for every $1 you spend, you'll get $3 in return, and they detailed exactly where it would be coming from," said Phipps. "That made it a pretty easy decision."

Last year, a recorded 1.6 million British tourists visited Florida. Increasing that number to 1.7 million or 1.8 million could be worth up to $200 million for Florida, according to Phipps.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kristidosh/2015/08/17/visit-floridas-sponsorship-of-fulham-f-c-deepens-florida-uk-ties/2/

Do you believe Florida can have fewer British visitors than Canada or Brazil?

Also, why is it likely that the club could have generated more revenue from another sponsor? isn't it just as likely that we obtain more because of Khan's connections?

Who is Phipps?

mike_corkcity12

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on August 17, 2015, 09:32:05 PM

ADVERTISING

Also, why is it likely that the club could have generated more revenue from another sponsor? isn't it just as likely that we obtain more because of Khan's connections?

Who is Phipps?
Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on August 17, 2015, 09:32:05 PM

ADVERTISING

Who is Phipps?
No clue, I just copied and pasted the article.

b+w geezer

How much are Visit Florida paying? The Forbes article implies knowledge when it says that more could have probably have been obtained elsewhere.

If one was just going by the hints in the article, the deal comes out at one third of $200 million, which sounds improbably high.

Riverside

This is good news

I do hope that they do get value for the sponsorship
Give headroom to increase the price when / if we get into the Premier League

I might even buy the shirt this year .
Looks good and I was never going to buy anything with Marathon Bet on it

Like others I would be interested to know how much they are paying

Vienna1

This ranking is dubious. What destinations does this take into account? Only the Americas? 

b+w geezer

The start of the article, before what's quoted here, introduces Paul Phipps as Visit Florida's chief marketing officer, and quotes him as saying that this is a one-year deal in the "high six-figures,"  presumably U.S. dollars. That implies five or six hundred thousand pounds -- value indeed if the talk of the possible benefits has any basis.

MJG

B+W I saw your question on TIFF.
I've done some research on sponsorships and basic shirt sponsorship in championship ranges quite a lot,  from £350k to £1m a year,  depending on size of club and from which division they have come from.
I'd say a good long term deal should be 600-800k per year.  I think we have to accept that while this Florida deal is only one year,  the roof advertising will be longer.. As was FX Pro who paid long after the shirt deal ended.
I also think the short timescale club had to get a sponsor in did reduce the full amount coming in,  but we are talking a few hundred thousand this year and not a million or even half that.
The hope would be a longer more lucrative deal with a sponsor is worked on during the winter.

westcliff white

Thnks for the insight MJG byt my question on this is who stiffed us? from what  understand we chose not to take our 3rd year option with Marathon Bet because we had something lined up, so who was the company that pulled out and why
Every day is a Fulham day

MJG

Well that's opposite to my understanding so who knows?

b+w geezer

I'm also grateful to MJG there. On TIFF, a respondent called Jason C. has made this useful response too:-

"A good friend of mine worked in the commercial department of another Premier league club until recently. I used their quote on here the other week ... basically in the premier league you are dealing with multi national brands and international marketing budgets - in the Championship, you are dealing with your local car dealership. The likes of American Express sponsor Brighton because the call centre is based nearby and is therefore seen as supporting the community. From what I was told, anything around £500k for a season is good for this division."

On that reckoning, the overwhelming message is that we need to return to the Prem to prosper. Prior to then it is, relatively, bald men fighting over a comb.

MJG

So we are in the right ball park for a one year deal,  could be argued that a one year is best because if we do get up then we become more of a sought after club for sponsorship.

westcliff white

Quote from: MJG on August 18, 2015, 11:08:16 AM
Ah ok so it was Marathons bets option (i had heard it was ours but info can be wrong at times as we know), that would then add up as they probably took to long to decide what they wanted to do and we were left i the lurch a little.

However, that for me doesn't explain the clubs delay in the kit launch with the premise sponsor thing etc anyway doesn't matter too much, FFC will always have my support no matter what, even if I am not keen on a player or manager come match day 100% unequivocal backing from me.
Every day is a Fulham day

Aaron

Florida is the #2 or #3 destination for British travelers, behind Canada and sometimes Brasil.

This reads like something from the Daily Mash.  I know everyone has an auntie in Canada and last year with the World Cup I'm sure Brazil got a surge but there's no way those can be the top 3 destinations for UK travelers.

http://www.skyscanner.net/news/travel-trends-analysis-2010-top-50-destinations-uk-travellers

No reference to any Canadian OR Brazilian airports here. 

Lazy journalism, should be treated as such and disregarded.

Jonnoj

Quote from: westcliff white on August 18, 2015, 11:49:38 AM
Quote from: MJG on August 18, 2015, 11:08:16 AM
Ah ok so it was Marathons bets option (i had heard it was ours but info can be wrong at times as we know), that would then add up as they probably took to long to decide what they wanted to do and we were left i the lurch a little.

However, that for me doesn't explain the clubs delay in the kit launch with the premise sponsor thing etc anyway doesn't matter too much, FFC will always have my support no matter what, even if I am not keen on a player or manager come match day 100% unequivocal backing from me.

The delay was due to Florida State (part owners of Visit Florida) having to ratify the deal.
I was told its one of the most lucrative deals at this level.

terryr

Wow
It seems attacking Khan whatever the deal is the flavor most appealing to some people. Frankly " Visit Florida is a bit more palatable to me than a Russian Gambling company...... We aren't too appealing to sponsors having dropped out of the PL (We're hardly on the telly every week) so I say good on the Chairman for using his connections to get a deal. ......but maybe that's just me.