https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Making friends outside of Facebook whilst applying the same principles

Started by Burt, August 18, 2015, 02:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

Holders

Wonderful.

Are you one of the select few who havn't succombed to that tosh?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

HatterDon

Facebook is an invaluable tool for musicians. When you play in several different venues in disparate locations, it's hard to build a following otherwise.

Personally, it's worked well for me AT TIMES. Despite all the racism and other forms of ignorance that thrive there, I've been able to reconnect with folks I attended school with, folks I served in Vietnam with, and I've found a couple of lively discussion groups.

Twitter? Meh. I don't do well when I only have a few words available.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Burt

Quote from: Holders on August 18, 2015, 03:08:15 PM
Wonderful.

I am on Facebook actually, but am an occasional user and only connect with known friends and family rather than every man and his dog. Most of my relatives are spread out around the place, particularly Australia, and it does have its uses in terms of keeping up to speed with what they are up to...

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I thought I'd benefited from Facebook recently.
My 73,462 'friend' was someone who owed me money from way back.
Unfortunately his wife replied and said he had died 27 years ago.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 18, 2015, 04:34:05 PM
Quote from: Burt on August 18, 2015, 04:27:09 PM
Quote from: Holders on August 18, 2015, 03:08:15 PM
Wonderful.

I am on Facebook actually, but am an occasional user and only connect with known friends and family rather than every man and his dog. Most of my relatives are spread out around the place, particularly Australia, and it does have its uses in terms of keeping up to speed with what they are up to...

Yes of course it's another tool to connect socially, I still use smoke signals which can't be good for my lungs. You mentioned Everyman and his Dog, not sure whether a Dog would need to use it that often.

Snoop Dog is huge

fulhamben

Has anyone actually made a friend on Facebook or even tried to though? Surely the majority of us only link up to people we already know
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: fulhamben on August 18, 2015, 05:16:34 PM
Has anyone actually made a friend on Facebook or even tried to though? Surely the majority of us only link up to people we already know

sssshhh... let me have your Facebook name and I'll 'friend you' whoever you are

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 18, 2015, 05:11:10 PM
Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on August 18, 2015, 04:37:50 PM
I thought I'd benefited from Facebook recently.
My 73,462 'friend' was someone who owed me money from way back.
Unfortunately his wife replied and said he had died 27 years ago.

Did you ask her for a cheque or a Bank Transfer, plus the interest of course.

BY the time I replied I had an email from their daughter and guess what...........

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 18, 2015, 06:34:08 PM
Let me guess, The mother had passed away peacefully in her sleep.

No, she was knocked down by a nun on a Harley towing a caravan

Logicalman

yeah, we managed to find a local Brit group here, and have made loads of good friends from the old country we can party with, and who actually get British humour!
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Holders

I don't use "facebook" and have heard horror stories of the rows and trouble cause by its "keyboard warriors". Maybe it's a bit like people who get on a forum and say things to people that they'd never dream of saying if they'd just been talking in a pub.

Having said that, I have a friend who gets most of his work through "facebook" so maybe it's not all bad.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

love4ffc

Have never used twitter or facebook.  I have no need for either.  Does seem loads of famous people get in to trouble using both of those platforms. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Slaphead in Qatar

i like facebook. i have got in touch with so many old schoold friends and work colleagues.  its always interesting to see what they have done and how they are doing  since we were together at school/work

Shredhead

Through Facebook I met up with someone I'd last seen at school 37 years ago and who was rumoured to have died of a drugs overdose. We'd been among the pioneer punks at our school in Eastcote and had seen all the classic bands in 76/77. It was a fascinating evening catching up with him and we'll meet up again. Having said that a PC World 'Knowhow' techguy told me today that if you go on Facebook it can track all of the websites you visit, so it can direct advertising at you.
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

fulhamben

Quote from: Shredhead on August 19, 2015, 06:25:45 PM
Through Facebook I met up with someone I'd last seen at school 37 years ago and who was rumoured to have died of a drugs overdose. We'd been among the pioneer punks at our school in Eastcote and had seen all the classic bands in 76/77. It was a fascinating evening catching up with him and we'll meet up again. Having said that a PC World 'Knowhow' techguy told me today that if you go on Facebook it can track all of the websites you visit, so it can direct advertising at you.
but you already knew him. And this site tracks what you do and does ads accordingly
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

HatterDon

Yes, several -- including some Fulham supporters.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel