Sunday Fulham Stuff (25.07.10)

Started by White Noise, July 24, 2010, 11:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/887024/ONLY-FULS-RUSH-IN.html

ONLY FULS RUSH IN

Cottagers to take time over new appointment after missing out on Jol

By Dan King

FULHAM insist they will take their time to appoint a new manager after losing out on number one target Martin Jol.
But they may have to hurry up and act if they want former England boss Sven Goran Eriksson, who has the option to stay with the Ivory Coast and a lucrative offer to go to the Middle East.

Jol is staying at Dutch club Ajax so chairman Mohamed Al-Fayed will now return to a short-list which is thought to include Eriksson, ex-Man City manager Mark Hughes and Cardiff boss Dave Jones.

A Fulham source said: "We were disappointed not to recruit Martin Jol because we wanted him and he wanted to join us.

"But the club will not be rushed into making an appointment. The chairman is very happy with the job Ray Lewington is doing and the team is unbeaten in pre-season."

"The search continues but there is no hurry because whoever comes in must be the right person for the job."

Eriksson's agent, Athole Still, has confirmed that the Swede feels he has "unfinished business" in the Premier League after his sacking by Manchester City in 2008. But Fulham are yet to make an official approach for Eriksson or for Jones.

Hughes was previously thought to be waiting for an offer from a bigger club than Fulham after his own departure from Eastlands.

But he and Croatia boss Slaven Bilic, whose dream job at Liverpool went to former Fulham boss Roy Hodgson, may now look favourably on the role at Craven Cottage.

White Noise

Jol would have cost Fulham £8.4m

Published 23:00 24/07/10

By Steve Stammers

Martin Jol would have cost £8.4million in compensation if Fulham had sealed a deal to ­recruit the Ajax manager last week.

Yet if the Craven Cottage club had done the deal ­before July 1, the pay-off to the Dutch club would have been just £1.5m. Jol had a clause in his contract which allowed him to move to a Premier League club bet­ween the June 1 and July 1.

Ajax managing director Rick van den Boog said: "We did not want to lose Jol."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Hiring-Martin-Jol-would-have-cost-Fulham-8-4m-in-compensation-to-Ajax-article536677.html#ixzz0udluxLa1

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fulham-chairman-al-fayed-cool-bilic-994541?
Fulham chairman Al Fayed cool on Bilic

A move to Fulham is a likely non-starter for Croatia coach Slaven Bilic.

The Sun says Bilic is another coach being linked with the position but chairman Mohamed Al Fayed has stressed he wants a 'safe pair of hands' in the form of an experienced club boss.

Fayed made £1.5billion from the sale of his exclusive London department store Harrods earlier this year and has promised to plough more funds into Fulham as a result.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/eriksson-wants-quick-decision-fulham-994531?
Eriksson wants quick decision from Fulham

Sven Goran Eriksson is pushing Fulham to open talks with his representatives about a return to England.

The Swede wants to start talks quickly with the Cottagers or he will become the latest coach to slip through their fingers.

Fulham chief executive Alistair Mackintosh yesterday held talks with chairman Mohamed Fayed to discuss the search for a new manager after their bid to recruit Ajax's Martin Jol failed.

Eriksson - who is out of contract as Ivory Coast coach - was always on the club's shortlist behind Jol, who could not obtain his release from the Dutch giants.

But Fayed will not be rushed into a quickfire decision.

Eriksson, who is the bookies' hot favourite to land the job, is currently on holiday.

Yet he is due for talks with Ivory Coast bigwigs next week about possibly staying on.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1297302/No-Fulham-approach-Sven-Goran-Eriksson--reveals-ex-England-boss-agent.html?
No Fulham approach for Sven Goran Eriksson... yet, reveals ex-England boss' agent

Fulham's search for a new manager continues despite Athole Still insisting that the Cottagers have yet to make an approach to discuss the post with Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Eriksson was thrust into the frame for the job following Roy Hodgson's departure for Liverpool but Still confirmed he is yet to have any discussions with the club about his client's availability.

Fulham have three weeks to find a new coach before the start of the new Barclays Premier League season on August 14, but so far they have not contacted either Eriksson's advisor or another reported target, Cardiff's Dave Jones.

The Cottagers were stunned when they failed to land first-choice candidate Martin Jol from Ajax and are now re-assessing their options.

'There has been no official contact with Fulham whatsoever,' said Still. 'There have been no discussions and this goes back for three weeks.

'There has been no meetings, no discussions and I don't know why Sven is now 2-1 favourite from 6-1 yesterday.

'I am just waiting to hear if they are going to make an offer and then we will see. Sven is in demand every time a top job comes up but they don't come up every day. I am just waiting, as I have done for the last three weeks.'

Eriksson worked closely with Fulham's chief executive Alistair Mackintosh during their time together at Manchester City. But it is understood that Mackintosh has been dealing with a private matter as Eriksson waits in the wings.

The former England manager, 62, who coached Ivory Coast during the World Cup, would relish the chance to return to the Premier League. But while the African nation are also interested in offering him a new contract, much will depend on Fulham's next move.

The Cottagers had been on the verge of landing Jol until Ajax refused to enter into negotiations over his release. Jol is thought to have agreed a three-year contract at Craven Cottage but the lack of an exit clause in his contract meant the former Tottenham manager could not walk out without financial consequences.

Jol, it is understood, was the personal favourite of the Fulham chairman, Mohamed Al Fayed. But Ajax, who beat Chelsea 3-1 in a pre-season friendly last night, held Jol to the terms of the contract he signed last summer and that has left Fulham in limbo along with their transfer targets and pre-season campaign.

Midfielder Steve Sidwell is understood to have agreed a £2million switch to Craven Cottage from Aston Villa but the deal is on hold until Fulham unveil their manager.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1297302/No-Fulham-approach-Sven-Goran-Eriksson--reveals-ex-England-boss-agent.html?#ixzz0uflgRIuH

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/hughes-again-under-consideration-fulham-job-995291?
Hughes again under consideration for Fulham job

Mark Hughes is back in the mix for the Fulham job.

The Daily Mail says talks are at an early stage, despite reports that Fulham chief executive Alistair Mackintosh, who favours Sven Goran Eriksson for the job, and Hughes don't get on.

Mackintosh resigned as Manchester City chief executive a week after Hughes was appointed to replace Eriksson in 2008.

The fact that Mohamed Fayed was prepared to give Martin Jol around £2million, healthy bonuses and £20m for players has made the Fulham job an attractive prospect.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6277261,00.html?
Smalling unfazed by challenge
Young defender relishing playing for United

Chris Smalling has insisted he is not daunted by the challenge facing him after moving to Manchester United.

The 20-year-old went to Old Trafford this summer for £10million from Fulham in one of the most eyebrow-raising transfers so far after agreeing a deal back in January.

It has been a meteoric rise to success for the young centre-back, who was plucked from obscurity by Roy Hodgson two years ago to move to Craven Cottage from non-league Maidstone.

Despite not playing a great deal of games in his time for the Cottagers, Sir Alex Ferguson saw enough of the England Under 21 defender to pay out for his services, but Smalling claims he is unfazed by what lies ahead.

"The manager has told me that I'm going to be the part of the first team and that as and when I'm called upon I have to be ready," said Smalling, who is currently on United's pre-season tour of the USA.

"I'm happy about that and getting ready, which is what pre-season is all about.

"Obviously I've had since January to know about the move, get a few more games at Fulham and I'm really focused on what's ahead.

"When you see a young player like Jonny Evans play so many games for United last season and over the last few years, it's something to aim for."

Excited

Smalling is part of Ferguson's plans to blood a new crop of youngsters into the side to as he attempts to repeat the success of his class of 1992, where David Beckham, Paul Scholes,Nicky Butt and Gary and Phil Neville broke through to enormous success.

The current era of Smalling, Evans, Federico Macheda, Darron Gibson, Javier Hernandez and Fabio and Rafael Da Silva are all expected to be given chances this season, with Smalling relishing the prospect of them developing together.

"I'm just excited to be part of a bunch of players all trying to break through as a group," he added.

"It's great just to be among that and hopefully we can all kick on. Hopefully I can get as many games as I can pre-season."

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=7420
Well hullo again Sven
by TOR on JULY 24, 2010

According to the Guardian it looks like the club's attentions are turning back to Sven Goran Eriksson to solve our "managerial crisis". Although Chairman Al Fayed's first choice was always Martin Jol, these news stories should come as little surprise given that Sven worked with our CEO Alistair Mackintosh when they were both at Man City. If the partnership worked back then, perhaps it would be sensible to give it another shot. Sven certainly seems keen to come to the Cottage, or perhaps it's just his agent, but this come and get me plea isn't the most subtle I've ever seen.

Whoever the club are looking to bring in, with the season proper nearly upon us, time is of the essence. New managers need time to get in, get their feet under the table and start making an impact. Even Roy "Miracle Worker" Hodgson needed 3 weeks to find his stride. The season starts 3 weeks today, against Bolton at the Reebok and it'll probably take more than a deflection off Bobby Zamora's derriére to take 3 points from there, á la the opening game of last season. It's not a decision to be rushed into but I think it's putting us at huge disadvantage, both in terms of preparation and training, as well as in terms of any transfer activity. Let's hope the right man comes along soon.

Incidentally, Sven is the bookies' fave at the moment, with quite frankly rubbish odds on him taking the helm – although you can still get 12-1 on Martin Jol so what do they know, eh?

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6278106,00.html?
Jones focused on Cardiff
Manager not listening to speculation over Fulham job

Dave Jones has brushed off speculation linking him with the vacant Fulham job by insisting he is working hard to win promotion with Cardiff.

Fulham are looking for a new manager after Roy Hodgson left to take charge of Liverpoolearlier this summer.

Jones has been connected with the post since the Cottagers were unsuccessful in an attempt to appoint Martin Jol, although Cardiff stated earlier this week that they had not been contacted by the Premier League club.

Jones admits it is flattering to have reportedly impressed Fulham but maintains that he is focused solely on Cardiff.

"It is always nice as a manager or a player to be associated with good jobs, but it is speculation and I am here, working my socks off as I always do," he told Sky Sports News.

Ambition

"Do I talk about speculation? No. it is not worth talking about.

"I am working my hardest here as I always do and so is my staff, the players and everyone behind the scenes."

While Jones concedes that he would relish the opportunity to work in the Premier League, he wants to achieve this ambition by steering Cardiff up from the Championship.

Asked if top-flight football appealed to him, Jones replied: "I'd love to get Premier League football with Cardiff and that is what I am working for because they are the ones who employ me."

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2010/07/25/fulham-turn-to-jurgen-klinsmann-102039-22437225/

Fulham turn to Jurgen Klinsmann

Jul 25 2010

by Dave Kidd, The People

FULHAM will sound out Jurgen Klinsmann about their manager's job .

Chairman Mohamed Al Fayed is determined to appoint a top-class boss to succeed Roy Hodgson, but is cool on the idea of offering the post to bookies favourite Sven Goran Eriksson – an associate of Craven Cottage chief executive Alastair Mackintosh.

Fulham were left embarrassed by their failure to land Ajax boss Martin Jol last week but will not be rushed into a panic appointment.

Klinsmann, hailed as the architect of Germany's impressive national team, has been out of work since leaving Bayern Munich last summer.

He is living in California and is not believed to have applied for any jobs, but he is keen to manage in the Premier League one day.

Klinsmann managed Germany at the 2006 World Cup finals, with current boss Joachim Loew as his assistant.

His name has been discussed at Fulham, and while discreet enquiries are expected to be made, the club are desperate to avoid another high-profile rejection.

Fulham are to offer their next boss a 20 million pound transfer kitty and a wage in excess of 2 million pounds a year. But that may still not be enough to entice the wealthy Klinsmann.

Mackintosh favoured Eriksson, who he worked with at Manchester City. But while the Swede fancies the job, Al Fayed is unconvinced.

Former Middlesbrough boss Gareth Southgate, a leading contender for a coaching job in Fabio Capello's England set-up, has also put his name in the frame at Craven Cottage.

But Al Fayed insists he is happy for caretaker boss and Fulham stalwart Ray Lewington to remain in charge until he finds the right man.

No appointment will be made in the next few days, even though the start of the Premier League season is less than three weeks away.

Lewington, currently leading Fulham on a pre-season tour of Sweden, is popular among players, and his inclusion in a prominent coaching position is assured under the next manager.

But several stars of last season's run to the Europa League Final are impatient to have their futures sorted out as many have only a year left on their contracts.

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/arsenal/887081/MOVE-FOR-MAARTEN-PUTS-MANUEL-IN-MIRE.html

MOVE FOR MAARTEN PUTS MANUEL IN MIRE

Wenger after Stekelenburg as replacement for Spanish stopper.

By Alex Shaw, 24/07/2010

ARSENE WENGER is monitoring Ajax goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg, putting Manuel Almunia's Arsenal future further in doubt.
The Dutch goalkeeper was pivotal in his country's run to the World Cup final and has been at Ajax since 2001.

Although Ajax have been boosted by Martin Jol's snub to Fulham, the former Tottenham boss has been told he will have to sell players if he wants to strengthen his squad.

Luis Suarez, Ajax's most saleable asset, looks set to stay at the club after Jol's decision to stay on as manager as the pair enjoy a good relationship but other stars will have to be moved on.

Goalkeeper Stekelenburg has attracted Wenger's interest and the Arsenal manager is now weighing up a bid.

Wenger claimed he does not have a number one choice as goalkeeper, with Almunia and Lukasz Fabianski failing to command his confidence.

Stekelenburg would be available for around £4m and at 27 would represent a more viable long-term option than Wenger's other target, Fulham's 37-year-old Mark Schwarzer.

An Ajax insider said: "I don't think Luis Suarez will leave us this summer but as for the others, there's a good chance one or two have to leave.

"I know there's an English club interested in the goalkeeper, for sure."

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/rugby_union/887202/CIPRIANI-JOINS-IN-SPURS-TRAINING.html

CIPRIANI JOINS IN SPURS TRAINING

Glamorous rugby star taking part in Tottenham pre-season sessions

By Greg Gobere, 24/07/2010

RUGBY star Danny Cipriani has been a regular visitor at Tottenham's Chigwell training ground during pre-season.
For several weeks the Melbourne Rebels full-back, 22, has been a surprise inclusion during sessions but the likes of Gareth Bale and Benoit Assou-Ekotto need not fear.

The former London Wasps man is only there to maintain his fitness ahead of the Super 15 season in the southern hemisphere.

He has a close relationship with Tottenham manager Harry Rednapp's son Jamie and nephew Frank Lampard paving the way for his Spurs invitation.

And he is expected to move on to Fulham's Motspur Park training ground to resume his fitness work in the weeks ahead.

Cipriani was previously training at top facilities in Los Angeles.

White Noise

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/146068/Bookies-back-Sven-Goran-Ericsson-for-Fulham/

BOOKIES BACK SVEN GORAN ERICSSON FOR FULHAM

25th July 2010

By Tony Stenson

BOOKIES have virtually stopped taking bets on Sven Goran Eriksson becoming next Fulham manager.

Ladbrokes and William Hill make him a clear 11-10 favourite – ­suggesting they know more information than Fulham are releasing.

The club have had to look again after Ajax boss Martin Jol turned down the chance to manage in London again.

The Cottagers promised swift action with the season fast approaching and a cluster of games ahead. 

Fulham's chase of former Spurs manager Jol was totally off the radar – and suggest they could yet spring another surprise if an Eriksson deal can't be agreed.

Another – much cheaper – option would be former player and current Doncaster manager Sean O'Driscoll.

Before they go down that route, though, Fulham will see what Eriksson has to offer.

The Swede's agent Athole Still has admitted his client could be tempted by the vacancy but claimed there had been no contact with the London club.

Eriksson has ­"unfinished business" in the Premier League after his sacking by Manchester City in 2008, according to Still.

Asked if the Swede, now out of contract following the end of his contract with Ivory Coast, could be interested in a move to Craven Cottage, Still said: "It's a very attractive club, not just for Sven Goran Eriksson."
But he added: "There has been no contact whatsoever.

"We have known for several weeks that Sven was one of the managers under consideration for the job but there has been no interview, no ­discussion whatsoever."

Cardiff's David Jones is a surprising 5-2 and could be an option after taking Cardiff to the play-off final last season.

Another name in the mix is former Manchester City boss Mark Hughes – but it's believed his wife isn't keen to leave the north.

Former Charlton boss Alan Curbishley, known for keeping clubs in a stable position, is also a contender

White Noise

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger turns down David James as keeper prepares for Celtic move

By Alex Montgomery

Last updated at 12:40 AM on 25th July 2010

England World Cup No 1 David James will end his career at Celtic - after Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger turned down the chance to sign a goalkeeper who will be 40 next week.

The former Portsmouth man is braced for the most hectic 48 hours of his life. He marries long-time partner Amanda on Sunday, and on Monday will have talks with Celtic which could end with him finishing his career north of the Border in the Scottish Premier League.

It can also be revealed that Wenger turned down the chance to sign James despite facing a goalkeeper crisis at Arsenal.

The Gunners boss will instead step up his efforts to land veteran keeper Mark Schwarzer, despite failing with an initial £2m bid.

There is no guarantee the Australian will move across London from managerless Fulham, and it will certainly not happen unless Arsenal increase their offer for a man they want as both player and coach.

It is the news that the Gunners have turned down an opportunity to sign James, who is two years Schwarzer's senior but vastly more experienced, which will shock an Arsenal fan base hoping for an end to the club's five-year trophy drought.

James, who had an offer withdrawn to stay on as player-coach role at Portsmouth, is one of the few
England players whose reputation was untainted by the World Cup.

He is also wanted by Sunderland as replacement for their Scotland keeper Craig Gordon, who is out of action after fracturing an arm in training, while Fulham are expected to make a move if Arsenal sign Schwarzer.

Wenger's side have been dogged by goalkeeping inconsistency which has cost them too often in past seasons.

Spaniard Manuel Almunia will be on his way as soon as a new club is found for him, which leaves Wenger with Poles Lukasz Fabianski and Wojciech Szczesny plus Italian Under-21 star Vito Mannone, who is likely to be loaned out.

Celtic will be happy to take James north if new manager Neil Lennon can persuade him all his demands can be satisfied in Glasgow, including European football.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1297416/Arsenal-manager-Arsene-Wenger-turns-David-James.html#ixzz0uimGvrLQ

White Noise

Hughes back on the Fulham wishlist to replace Hodgson

By Simon Cass

Last updated at 5:14 PM on 24th July 2010

Mark Hughes has re-emerged as a candidate to replace Roy Hodgson as Fulham manager.

Talks are at an early stage, despite reports that Fulham chief executive Alistair Mackintosh, who favours Sven Goran Eriksson for the job, and Hughes don't get on.

Mackintosh resigned as Manchester City chief executive a week after Hughes was appointed to replace Eriksson in 2008.

The fact that Mohamed Fayed was prepared to give Martin Jol around £2million, healthy bonuses and £20m for players has made the Fulham job an attractive prospect.

Eriksson's agent, Athole Still, is happy to have his client's name linked with the job, even though he insists they have yet to receive any approach.

'There has been no official contact with Fulham whatsoever,' said Still. 'I am just waiting to hear if they are going to make an offer and then we will see. Sven is in demand every time a Angry: Milner wants answers Getty top job comes up.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1297201/Hughes-Fulham-wishlist-replace-Hodgson.html#ixzz0uin73KFk