watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Knee jerkers only

Started by grandad, August 21, 2015, 11:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandad

This topic is for you to keep the rest of the board free for sensible discussion.
Where there's a will there's a wife

os5889 mkII

This thread title couldn't be more perfect......

https://t.co/pJKjyVspQR
@OsmithFFC

Logicalman

Jerking Knees, or should we call it by it's real name: Patellar reflex; now that's a great topic. Did you know the term we so quaintly throw about now was first used by Oscar Odd McIntyre, a newspaper journo back in the early quarter of the 20th Century.

I do, however, recall having a jerkin when I was a teen, they appeared to be all the rage there, but it never reached my knees unfortunately.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

McBride78

Just to clarify, since I am not the smartest poster on the board, this thread is for

Kit out discussions?
Khan Sucks discussions?
I quit the board discussions?
This new signing sucks discussions?

Or all of the above?

Northern Cottager

Quote from: grandad on August 21, 2015, 11:50:37 AM
This topic is for you to keep the rest of the board free for sensible discussion.

Does most of last season and the start of this season of continued disappointment count as 'knee jerk' reactions? Or does it count more as a continuation of poor football, poor choices and performances not one person can be pleased to witness?

Of course you're entitled to your opinion but to call out and try to make a mockery of all those disappointed with how Fulham now appears is a little sad. Most are discontent with the lack of forward movement the club has made since last season, in fact more accurately since 2010.

I know there are still a few on here with blind faith assuming all will be fine and we're just lucky to be in business, but the vast majority see this is not going to end well.

Peabody

Quote from: Northern Cottager on August 21, 2015, 01:02:09 PM

Does most of last season and the start of this season of continued disappointment count as 'knee jerk' reactions? Or does it count more as a continuation of poor football, poor choices and performances not one person can be pleased to witness?

Of course you're entitled to your opinion but to call out and try to make a mockery of all those disappointed with how Fulham now appears is a little sad. Most are discontent with the lack of forward movement the club has made since last season, in fact more accurately since 2010.

I know there are still a few on here with blind faith assuming all will be fine and we're just lucky to be in business, but the vast majority see this is not going to end well.

And your evidence for these claims is?

Listen, most of you critics do not attend games and I do not condem you for this but I have to say that I find it difficult to understand how you can reach your opinions based on what others are saying.

grandad

There are more of you out there,
Let´s be ävin¨you
Where there's a will there's a wife

jarv

I guess it comes with the territory, internet, fans sites. Way back when, in the 60s when we went to the third division, all i recall in match days, during the back to back relegations was a lot of people mumbling and grumbling, moaning about everything as we left the cottage after yet another defeat. Then it happened again a decade later, after the Alec Stock era.
There was no FoF so all the moaning was confined to match days, or with your mates in the pub.
Today's forum lets us moan all the time. It is called "progress", not always good.

Logicalman

Quote from: McBride78 on August 21, 2015, 12:46:38 PM
Just to clarify, since I am not the smartest poster on the board, this thread is for

Kit out discussions?
Khan Sucks discussions?
I quit the board discussions?
This new signing sucks discussions?

Or all of the above?

Nope, it's about knee jerks, see above  :022:  :023:
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Logicalman

Quote from: jarv on August 21, 2015, 01:42:11 PM
I guess it comes with the territory, internet, fans sites. Way back when, in the 60s when we went to the third division, all i recall in match days, during the back to back relegations was a lot of people mumbling and grumbling, moaning about everything as we left the cottage after yet another defeat. Then it happened again a decade later, after the Alec Stock era.
There was no FoF so all the moaning was confined to match days, or with your mates in the pub.
Today's forum lets us moan all the time. It is called "progress", not always good.

yeah, even more grumbling as the rain poured down and we had to sit on the wet terraces during the break time trying to see what the colours were on the HT scoreboard so we could fill in our program...  oh, happy days!  092.gif

Northern Cottager

Quote from: Peabody on August 21, 2015, 01:34:19 PM
Quote from: Northern Cottager on August 21, 2015, 01:02:09 PM

And your evidence for these claims is?

Listen, most of you critics do not attend games and I do not condem you for this but I have to say that I find it difficult to understand how you can reach your opinions based on what others are saying.

Oh sorry, does 4 wins in 22 suggest something other than poor?!

Evidence for what claims?! That most people are discontent with such a poor club? Well, your pal, Grandad, felt the need to create a thread for all these negatives so, there must be a fair few. Check through the whole forum, I'd put my house on the stat (You may have enoug htime on your hands to count the posts on a ratio of negative to positive) that there are MANY more people who are fed up with the way the club is headed. This isn't from being sat there watching this week in, week out...it's common sense.

Regardless of whether everyone watches every game the conclusions are the same and the results speak volumes. As does the squad we've got.

Can you argue that results are good enough?
Can you suggest we've made absolute progress with the transfers this season?
Can you argue we play a formation which suits the players we have recruited?
Do you believe the current exodus of youth players 'wanting out' is coincidence?
The 'brand' of football (If you can call it that) is it a pleasure to watch on your high horse?

There is enough coverage to make an informed decision on how well we're playing and a lack of activity in vital areas to suggest how poor we're doing in what seems to be common sense areas.

Appreciate your opinion but I cannot see how anyone can defend the club.

Peabody

At my time of life, I ain't got time to worry about moaning about the team I have supported for nearly 70 years and when I say that I have Seen a lot worse, I hope you believe that but what really gets my goat is those that seem to delight in giving out the criticism after three games with what is a comparatively new team. I just fail to see that Fulham is losing its identity, of course I would like to see better but as I have said before, there is nothing you or I nor any of us can do about it.  I still enjoy the experience of going to the Cottage and yes, I feel disappointment and delight at the result  Only to have that initial enjoyment ruined when I get home, by the so called experts on this forum.

By the way, how's the shirt, you never did say thank you.

By the way, this s in response to Northern Cottager.

Northern Cottager

Quote from: Peabody on August 21, 2015, 02:10:10 PM
At my time of life, I ain't got time to worry about moaning about the team I have supported for nearly 70 years and when I say that I have Seen a lot worse, I hope you believe that but what really gets my goat is those that seem to delight in giving out the criticism after three games with what is a comparatively new team. I just fail to see that Fulham is losing its identity, of course I would like to see better but as I have said before, there is nothing you or I nor any of us can do about it.  I still enjoy the experience of going to the Cottage and yes, I feel disappointment and delight at the result  Only to have that initial enjoyment ruined when I get home, by the so called experts on this forum.

I understand a lot have seen worse but we seemed to have it all in 2010, we were steps away from being a solid club and we just let it slide. Anyway, there's a lot of disagreements on here especially when things are't going so well and the generations who have seen it all so differently will continue to disagree.

I know you're knocking on a bit Peabody but I did say thank you, in fact I can't find the message but I do have your response 'Pleased you like it forget the postage, just enjoy it' ;)

Peabody

Quote from: Northern Cottager on August 21, 2015, 02:17:34 PM
At my time of life, I ain't got time to worry about moaning about the team I have supported for nearly 70 years and when I say that I have Seen a lot worse, I hope you believe that but what really gets my goat is those that seem to delight in giving out the criticism after three games with what is a comparatively new team. I just fail to see that Fulham is losing its identity, of course I would like to see better but as I have said before, there is nothing you or I nor any of us can do about it.  I still enjoy the experience of going to the Cottage and yes, I feel disappointment and delight at the result  Only to have that initial enjoyment ruined when I get home, by the so called experts on this forum.

I understand a lot have seen worse but we seemed to have it all in 2010, we were steps away from being a solid club and we just let it slide. Anyway, there's a lot of disagreements on here especially when things are't going so well and the generations who have seen it all so differently will continue to disagree.

I know you're knocking on a bit Peabody but I did say thank you, in fact I can't find the message but I do have your response 'Pleased you like it forget the postage, just enjoy it' ;)

Oops ye, sorry I forgot that. But I stick by the rest.

gezkc

Compared to last season, when I think people could justifiably say the club appeared clueless and directionless, the situation is looking significantly better. We've had a statement from the club to say the aim is to achieve promotion this season, we have Rigg working with us to scout and sign the players we need - with considerable success so far and the window's not closed yet - and the season's only 3 games old with a new team that needs time to gel.
Knee jerk reactions and calls for managers to be changed every time we lose a game sum up everything that's wrong with the game today.
Let's get behind the club and support them. As Grandad said, we've been through far worse than this.

HatterDon

At my time of life, I ain't got time to worry about moaning about the team I have supported for nearly 70 years and when I say that I have Seen a lot worse, I hope you believe that but what really gets my goat is those that seem to delight in giving out the criticism after three games with what is a comparatively new team. I just fail to see that Fulham is losing its identity, of course I would like to see better but as I have said before, there is nothing you or I nor any of us can do about it.  I still enjoy the experience of going to the Cottage and yes, I feel disappointment and delight at the result  Only to have that initial enjoyment ruined when I get home, by the so called experts on this forum.

It'll get worse when we go on a good run. It'll be "they were unlucky to lose, we didn't deserve it, now Kit will never leave" until we have another bad patch. What to do?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Logicalman

You're correct, we did have it all in 2010, but we also had it all 45 or so years earlier, and look what happened just 3 years later!

Lets be honest, we will never be in the same class as the Arsenals, or Uniteds, or Barcas of this world, we struggled too much of the time treading water with our last stint in the top league, it took us almost a decade to get stable and then just 3 years to drop like a stone again, history will always repeat itself.
Then again, I have to say I do prefer not to be in the same class as those clubs mentioned above, at least we can say that 99% of our supporters are here for the long jog (subtle ageism creeping in there) and the number of plastic supporters we have wouldn't be enough to make up a picnic knife and fork set if melted down, and that's the way I prefer it.
Success? To me that would be just remaining in the top league, silverware is not on our horizon anywhere in my lifetime, we had two good tries in that time and we got pipped at the post. Everyone has their own expectations and meaning of success though, and that's all valid.

HatterDon

Quote from: Logicalman on August 21, 2015, 03:00:08 PM

You're correct, we did have it all in 2010, but we also had it all 45 or so years earlier, and look what happened just 3 years later!

Lets be honest, we will never be in the same class as the Arsenals, or Uniteds, or Barcas of this world, we struggled too much of the time treading water with our last stint in the top league, it took us almost a decade to get stable and then just 3 years to drop like a stone again, history will always repeat itself.
Then again, I have to say I do prefer not to be in the same class as those clubs mentioned above, at least we can say that 99% of our supporters are here for the long jog (subtle ageism creeping in there) and the number of plastic supporters we have wouldn't be enough to make up a picnic knife and fork set if melted down, and that's the way I prefer it.
Success? To me that would be just remaining in the top league, silverware is not on our horizon anywhere in my lifetime, we had two good tries in that time and we got pipped at the post. Everyone has their own expectations and meaning of success though, and that's all valid.

Exactly this, with the amendment that I'd like us to take cup competitions more seriously -- especially with whatever they're calling the League Cup these days. With the big clubs farting it off, it's a chance to get to Wembley -- the one thing I'd like to see before I shuffle off this turtle boil.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Berserker

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Burt

I'll have to moderate Berserker's language.

I think she meant "gluteous maximus".