watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

So much for our much Vaulted youth policy

Started by Martinsback, August 21, 2015, 07:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinsback

We were told that getting rid of our best premier players was all part of a plan to bring our cracking youth team into the squad and build for a bright future. Instead we have a policy of looking for cheap bargin basement journey men, by and large,  and dumping our youth players at the earliest opportunity. My depression at the direction of this club continues unabated...

Roberty

The players, including the youth players, are not slaves and they all have agents - almost from birth - who are looking for a better opportunity for them - so why are you surprised that an agent can find our better youth players a "BIGGER" club to join.

Since most of them were not born and bred in the borough we must have done much the same to the club that nurtured them from birth - at the time we were full of joy when the next best prospect joined our academy - now the boot is on the other foot we are complaining

At the moment we need experienced players to get us out of this mess and that should be our ONLY priority
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

res

Quote from: Martinsback on August 21, 2015, 07:03:39 PM
We were told that getting rid of our best premier players was all part of a plan to bring our cracking youth team into the squad and build for a bright future. Instead we have a policy of looking for cheap bargin basement journey men, by and large,  and dumping our youth players at the earliest opportunity. My depression at the direction of this club continues unabated...

Bit harsh. Grimmer/LVC/George Williams/ Betts/Woodrow have had, and are having, extended first team games. Pat Roberts wasn't dumped, we got £11m plus for him. Dembele, if he doesn't get his head screwed by his agent, should sign a new contract otherwise he'll just be a add on player elsewhere. Burgess/Donnelly/ Arthurwerry/ Jorenen are getting/have got first team experience to see if they can cut it.
Some  will go by the wayside because  they won't make the grade-that goes for Academies everywhere. The argument about getting all our starlets to sign long term contracts is largely invalid-there are strict rules about what a club can do at the late teen stage...as often explained on the board.
We had to get rid of most of the old guard as they were mostly past their sell by date and were very expensive...and they got us relegated if you remember!
So don't agree that we're not getting dividends from the youth set up..I think we're doing OK

Slaphead in Qatar

The Old Count

Seems grammer is more important than the direction of the club which, as MArtins Back says, is looking less than comfortable.

To be able to present a proposition to personel to motivate them to share in the vision of the future for an organisation, or club in our case, is one of the bases of success.

The Old Count

Oops! Two capitals when I typed Martins Back: MA.  Will the typo police be on my back?

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: The Old Count on August 21, 2015, 07:50:59 PM
Oops! Two capitals when I typed Martins Back: MA.  Will the typo police be on my back?

Eye'm watching ewe
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

The Old Count

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on August 21, 2015, 07:57:53 PM
Oops! Two capitals when I typed Martins Back: MA.  Will the typo police be on my back?
[/quote
Eye'm watching ewe
Ha ha! Very good mate

gezkc

Using two capitals was the least of the typographical problems with your post, Count. Don't worry, I won't point out the others as it's not important.  :dft011:

Lighthouse

Well they are at Motspur Park losing 2-0 at home to Wolves at half time. A few players that I keep hearing should be given a chance are playing. Taggart off at half time. Could be on the bench tomorrow as we are so short of players up front.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

The Old Count

Quote from: gezkc on August 21, 2015, 08:21:56 PM
Oops! Two capitals when I typed Martins Back: MA.  Will the typo police be on my back?
Using two capitals was the least of the typographical problems with your post, Count. Don't worry, I won't point out the others as it's not important.  :dft011:
Kindly enlighten me Obi Won. Apart from the missing N in personnel.

gezkc

Quote from: The Old Count on August 21, 2015, 08:26:58 PM
Using two capitals was the least of the typographical problems with your post, Count. Don't worry, I won't point out the others as it's not important.  :dft011:

It's grammar, not grammer.
Oh, and Obi Wan, not Obi Won, my young Padawan.  092.gif

The Old Count

Quote from: gezkc on August 21, 2015, 08:59:43 PM
Using two capitals was the least of the typographical problems with your post, Count. Don't worry, I won't point out the others as it's not important.  :dft011:

Oh, and Obi Wan, not Obi Won, my young Padawan.  092.gif
Thanks for that. Can you tell me how to spell pedant? Lol.
Also, if you look up 'grammer' it's a term used by people who constantly correct others about grammar.

ToodlesMcToot

We were told that getting rid of our best premier players was all part of a plan to bring our cracking youth team into the squad and build for a bright future. Instead we have a policy of looking for cheap bargin basement journey men, by and large,  and dumping our youth players at the earliest opportunity. My depression at the direction of this club continues unabated...

Who are these journeymen you speak of? And how exactly do you know they are cheap, bargain basement options? Just because some came in on free's? Which starting 11 and bench 7 would you entrust your job to for a promotion push? Remember, this is the biggest opportunity you've ever had in your career. Your ability to keep your job as well as your prospects for furthering your career already is balanced on a knife's edge as it is.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

gezkc

Quote from: The Old Count on August 21, 2015, 09:05:57 PM
Quote from: gezkc on August 21, 2015, 08:59:43 PM

Oh, and Obi Wan, not Obi Won, my young Padawan.  092.gif
Thanks for that. Can you tell me how to spell pedant? Lol.
Also, if you look up 'grammer' it's a term used by people who constantly correct others about grammar.
I only pointed it out as you asked for it (literally).
I agree with you - there are far more important things, the future of our club (which I think is actually in good hands) being one of them.

mike_corkcity12

It is abit embarrassing for the club. Last summer the club heavily promoted 'The New Originals' and advertised Hyndman, Dembele, Roberts and Williams as our poster boys and future.

This has had to play a role in our failure to keep Roberts, most likely Hyndman and likely Dembele. Being told they were the future and then left to play u21's. Whether they were ready or not is irrelevant due to the push they were given.

gezkc

We were told that getting rid of our best premier players was all part of a plan to bring our cracking youth team into the squad and build for a bright future. Instead we have a policy of looking for cheap bargin basement journey men, by and large,  and dumping our youth players at the earliest opportunity. My depression at the direction of this club continues unabated...

As has already been said, you can't force young players to stay with us. Unfortunately, relegation has made us considerably less attractive to new and existing players alike, so if a promising young player gets impatient and feels they're ready for the next stage in their career, there's little we can do to stop them moving on.
Saying that, the players we've brought in are far from bargain basement journeymen. We've bought very astutely and the majority of those we've brought in have been voted player of the year for their respective clubs. Mike Riggs should be commended for the work he's done, particularly if we manage to get Dunk and Gayle (neither of whom's clubs seem willing to part with them easily).

Roberty

Quote from: gezkc on August 21, 2015, 09:51:48 PM

As has already been said, you can't force young players to stay with us. Unfortunately, relegation has made us considerably less attractive to new and existing players alike, so if a promising young player gets impatient and feels they're ready for the next stage in their career, there's little we can do to stop them moving on.
Saying that, the players we've brought in are far from bargain basement journeymen. We've bought very astutely and the majority of those we've brought in have been voted player of the year for their respective clubs. Mike Riggs should be commended for the work he's done, particularly if we manage to get Dunk and Gayle (neither of whom's clubs seem willing to part with them easily).

Dunk - yes - Brighton are playing hard-ball but Pardew has already announced that Gayle does not fit into his style of play and he is free to leave and last week Palace announced that they had accepted a bid from to Bristol City but Galye said NO

So at Palace it is Gayle who is calling the shots and I guess we, or his favoured club, should perhaps be playing hard-ball with Palace because they need him off the books by the end of the transfer window or they will be stuck with player that their manager doesn't even want on the bench

It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Fulham1959

It looks like more of our young players are for 'the high jump'.

:005: