watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

There are so many better managers

Started by The Old Count, August 21, 2015, 09:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Old Count

There are many better managers than Kit.  There are so many better players than we have.
Why are we not able to sell a vision for the club to a manager and players like we did before? Is it ineptitude or unwillingness?

dannyboi-ffc

The two words that worry me at the moment and they are mentioned every time Rigg opens his mouth.

"I have been brought here to be CREATIVE" which to me suggests we have little funds and Rigg has to pull a rabbit out of the hat finding bargains.

"We want to be a SUSTAINABLE club" which to me is a posh way of saying we are a selling club. What else can sustainable mean?

Big week or so for the club. If we don't sign a couple of quality players I think we will struggle again. All that nonsense about starting the heavy training a week earlier than any other club had returned and McCormack turns up for Cardiff fatter than me.

We all raved about Pringle but is that how far our estimations have dropped? We didn't even have a battle on our hands to get him on a free. IMO he is bang average with no pace but because we are so bad right now we thought he was a great signing.

Fulham drive me crazy sometimes and it's impossible to have patience with Kit when after 3 games we can see he has learnt nothing from last season. Same old same old
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

The Old Count

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on August 21, 2015, 09:37:16 PM
The two words that worry me at the moment and they are mentioned every time Rigg opens his mouth.

"I have been brought here to be CREATIVE" which to me suggests we have little funds and Rigg has to pull a rabbit out of the hat finding bargains.

We want to be a SUSTAINABLE club" which to me is a posh way of saying we are a selling club. What else can sustainable mean?

Big week or so for the club. If we don't sign a couple of quality players I think we will struggle again. All that nonsense about starting the heavy training a week earlier than any other club had returned and McCormack turns up for Cardiff fatter than me.

We all raved about Pringle but is that how far our estimations have dropped? We didn't even have a battle on our hands to get him on a free. IMO he is bang average with no pace but because we are so bad right now we thought he was a great signing.

Fulham drive me crazy sometimes and it's impossible to have patience with Kit when after 3 games we can see he has learnt nothing from last season. Same old same old
Couldn't agree more. 

Vienna1

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on August 21, 2015, 09:37:16 PM

"We want to be a SUSTAINABLE club" which to me is a posh way of saying we are a selling club. What else can sustainable mean?

From a distance, it seems I have to agree. As to signing quality players - lack of money doesn't seem to be the problem, right?

Jonaldiniho 88

We are three games in and have only narrowly been beaten/drew. Their are obviously better managers out there as we speak but we finished close to 40th in English football last season. Whatever dream you try and sell a potential manager that speaks for itself. I think Rigg is now heavily involved and kit is more expendable because of that. I'm not convinced by kit but as we have let him start the season we need to give him time. I would say at least as long as Felix. It can't help the man that he is stuck with a weaker defence than he finished last season and still doesn't know who, if any are coming into the club. His captain is injured, his number 1 and what appears to be starting striker are now out for a substantial period of time. His on loan left back is out as well. As I said I'm not convinced by him but he needs a chance this season and the things I mentioned above need to be taken into consideration.

HatterDon

and 60 or 70 of those better managers post here every day!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

FFC1987

Of the list of better managers, who would realistically join us? Big Sam wouldn't touch us I wouldn't have thought and I wouldn't want Pearson. Lambert has a poor reputation and needs to re-build his career so he could be a shout.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 21, 2015, 10:26:45 PM
Sustainable as defined in the English Oxford Collins Dictionary, means basically, " to be able to be maintained at a certain rate or level."
" Conserving a balance, by avoiding depletion. "

So basically sell an asset every season to provide funds meaning Khan doesn't spend his own money. 

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on August 21, 2015, 10:33:00 PM
Sustainable as defined in the English Oxford Collins Dictionary, means basically, " to be able to be maintained at a certain rate or level."

So basically sell an asset every season to provide funds meaning Khan doesn't spend his own money. 

I have to disagree Danny. You can take a negative slant on most phrases. Khan may not have spent bucket loads but hasn't exactly sat on his hands. I would argue creative buying may be buying young, English players with the potential to step up to PL level. In doing this we have a young squad with potential of stepping up and they will have a high resale value. I know it's hard to see positives at the moment but it's all too easy to see everything as a negative. If you look at the clubs that go from success to bust; Pompey, Wigan and to an extent Blackpool and compare with west brom, Norwich and Southampton the difference is sustainability.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on August 21, 2015, 10:42:23 PM

I have to disagree Danny. You can take a negative slant on most phrases. Khan may not have spent bucket loads but hasn't exactly sat on his hands. I would argue creative buying may be buying young, English players with the potential to step up to PL level. In doing this we have a young squad with potential of stepping up and they will have a high resale value. I know it's hard to see positives at the moment but it's all too easy to see everything as a negative. If you look at the clubs that go from success to bust; Pompey, Wigan and to an extent Blackpool and compare with west brom, Norwich and Southampton the difference is sustainability.

You can't disagree with me Jon! How many times do I have to tell you on the phone lol. I thought we were mates.......

You are probably right and Khan did spend bucket loads on two strikers but there doesn't seem to be any kind of plan. At least it's not clear to me yet from what we have done.  

You could also argue that Southampton even in league one were making double figures on their young assets. Bale, Walcott,  ox and more recently Shaw, Lallana and Scneiderlein all sold for big sums of money. I am not blaming the club for failing to tie down Hyndman and Dembele but surely if we lose both for peanuts which we probably will now surely that defeats the whole logic of sustainability. What WBA and Norwich did was keep the same core of players that defined the word yo yo.  Too good for this league but fell short of the prem. They only needed a few tweeks here and there. We are in transition of the highest order so I think Southampton is the only comparison that can be made and hopefully that's the model we are trying to follow.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Lighthouse

There are so many teams with better injury lists than we have. There are so many clubs with less intense gypsy curses on them than we have. Oh why is the mirage of sustainability so out of reach?

Well chaps let me explain it slowly because I know you can't read very quickly. We allowed the club to stagnate when Mark Hughes left the club. We then found ourselves with a new owner not realising our team was very old and very slow. The owner or his son panicked and spent oodles of money on a limping Greek. We then were relegated and employed a German who had no idea what he was doing when he tried to rebuild the squad.

A season later we are having to practically rebuild the squad again. So why can't we just throw money at the problem and why aren't players flocking to us? It is because we are on the back of a decades worth of neglect. Only now are we trying to turn things around. But our new signing said it best when he talked to ex team mate who is now our keeper and asked about the club. He also talked to ex American  players who have been here in the past. All sold the club to him. So we are doing something right.

But you don't turn around a decade worth of bad decisions in one Summer. But we are turning things around slowly. It is just that some of our fans missed the decade worth of decline and seem shocked that things have changed.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 21, 2015, 11:02:32 PM
There are so many teams with better injury lists than we have. There are so many clubs with less intense gypsy curses on them than we have. Oh why is the mirage of sustainability so out of reach?

Well chaps let me explain it slowly because I know you can't read very quickly. We allowed the club to stagnate when Mark Hughes left the club. We then found ourselves with a new owner not realising our team was very old and very slow. The owner or his son panicked and spent oodles of money on a limping Greek. We then were relegated and employed a German who had no idea what he was doing when he tried to rebuild the squad.

A season later we are having to practically rebuild the squad again. So why can't we just throw money at the problem and why aren't players flocking to us? It is because we are on the back of a decades worth of neglect. Only now are we trying to turn things around. But our new signing said it best when he talked to ex team mate who is now our keeper and asked about the club. He also talked to ex American  players who have been here in the past. All sold the club to him. So we are doing something right.

But you don't turn around a decade worth of bad decisions in one Summer. But we are turning things around slowly. It is just that some of our fans missed the decade worth of decline and seem shocked that things have changed.

Don't disagree about the decade of neglect but hasn't a lot of the neglect been inflated because of all the poor decisions since Khan joined? What you are basically saying is this is Al Fayed's fault and Khan is trying to turn it around.

In my opinion that only tells half the story. The mess we are in now is Khan's fault and I don't see many signs that he is capable of turning this around. That doesn't mean I think he doesn't want to, far from it. I just question his and his team of workers competence to run a football club.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Denver Fulham

I have never understood the "You have to give Manager X some time with these players."

There have been nearly a full season of league matches plus a few Cup games, a full summer/preseason, scrimmages, etc. The goal isn't to mask your poor manager with better players. He'd still be costing you points (albeit hopefully higher up the table) with his poor tactics, poor in-game management, etc.

I'm not sure what other evidence we need that Kit currently is subpar at his job. He has not been helped by injuries, but that's an excuse for his own significant lacking, not the cause of it. If "promotion is the goal," which it darn well better be this season or next, or this could be a really long slog in the Championship, then there's no way the club has the time to wait for Kit to find himself as a manager. You need a good one now.

I hope the club has a candidates list prepped already and is willing to use it if both the results and Kit's performance don't improve rapidly. It's not just about beating Huddersfield at home. Even terrible teams win matches. It's about Kit showing he's capable of leading a promotion challenge, and I have about 0.0% faith in that based on what I have seen for a year now.

gezkc

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on August 21, 2015, 11:00:26 PM
Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on August 21, 2015, 10:42:23 PM

You can't disagree with me Jon! How many times do I have to tell you on the phone lol. I thought we were mates.......

You are probably right and Khan did spend bucket loads on two strikers but there doesn't seem to be any kind of plan. At least it's not clear to me yet from what we have done. 

You could also argue that Southampton even in league one were making double figures on their young assets. Bale, Walcott,  ox and more recently Shaw, Lallana and Scneiderlein all sold for big sums of money. I am not blaming the club for failing to tie down Hyndman and Dembele but surely if we lose both for peanuts which we probably will now surely that defeats the whole logic of sustainability. What WBA and Norwich did was keep the same core of players that defined the word yo yo.  Too good for this league but fell short of the prem. They only needed a few tweeks here and there. We are in transition of the highest order so I think Southampton is the only comparison that can be made and hopefully that's the model we are trying to follow.

Sorry Danny. I'm just trying to see positives at the moment. We tried the youth we thought were the answer and in the time they had (little) they weren't. We then continued to keep the youth on the bench, therefore not playing, therefore not developing and all our youth teams are now struggling. Southampton got more for their players but they were also more developed and playing more. We couldn't risk that last season due to our start. That is a great shame. Don't give up on the youth yet though. If we sell moussa and Emerson and with Roberts sold nobody knows the add ons we may get. It could be huge. We have made mistakes but although you can't see many comparisons with the teams who were successful I can't see many in our structure with those that have tumbled. That right now is more important than instant success. One of the five a side team said the club were looking at next season as the real push for promotion and that is more realistic and probably more "sustainable". I'd rather go up a year later and have a fighting chance than go up with this squad and have to have a complete re-haul again to try and stay up. If Rigg gets dunk and Gayle this has been a great window. If he gets neither it will be poor to average, if he gets one, average. Let's all hope.

Nero

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 21, 2015, 11:02:32 PM

A season later we are having to practically rebuild the squad again. So why can't we just throw money at the problem and why aren't players flocking to us? It is because we are on the back of a decades worth of neglect. Only now are we trying to turn things around. But our new signing said it best when he talked to ex team mate who is now our keeper and asked about the club. He also talked to ex American  players who have been here in the past. All sold the club to him. So we are doing something right.

Birmingham improved rapidly with a new manager, just saying

mikestrand

Quote from: The Old Count on August 21, 2015, 09:28:11 PM
There are many better managers than Kit.  There are so many better players than we have.
Why are we not able to sell a vision for the club to a manager and players like we did before? Is it ineptitude or unwillingness?

We'll know for sure in a couple of years when the parachute money has gone, and were on a level playing field with the majority of this division.

Horse

Quote from: HatterDon on August 21, 2015, 10:24:53 PM

Well you're not far wrong there, and not because the people who post here would make very good managers either.

MGBadrock

Quote from: HatterDon on August 21, 2015, 10:24:53 PM

This is the post of the week for mine.

grandad

Those out of jobs & available are all failures. If they were any good they would be snapped up by now.
Where there's a will there's a wife