watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

90' Re-run

Started by cmg, August 23, 2015, 03:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmg

Once again credit to the club for posting a good quality full re-run so promptly.

I wonder how many, especially those who were not in attendance but have been so scathing in their criticism without having seen any of the match, avail themselves of this excellent facility.

My observations, for what they're worth:

First the bad news. Huddersfield were, despite a reasonable defensive shift, pretty poor. We will be lucky to meet a worse team and it's disturbing that we were unable to put away such an uninspiring outfit despite ample possession (the numbers don't lie).We seemed unable, even, to create the kind of chances we have squandered in the past few matches.
Also. This is such a 'tough' league because the abysmal standard of refereeing puts a premium on clogging at the expense of encouraging skill. For instance the challenge on Hutchinson which finished his game (backing into a player who is in mid-air) would be an instant yellow card (+10 min sin-bin) in Rugby Union!

Lonergan: This now seems like an inspired signing. His experience and competence just what was needed after Bett's misfortune.

Richards: Ordinary

Voser: Offers a little bit going forward and is quite a skilled full-back but is sooooo easy to get past.

Bodurov: Despite the general horror his name engenders, had a decent game when he came on.

Burn: Usual mix. Good at the basics and has a little flair but slower than frozen treacle. I'd have to put most of the blame for their goal on his shoulders. Getting nutmeged in the box is never a good idea.

LVC, OHara, Cairney: LVC is improving a bit but still seems tentative at going forward - we see none of those striding runs from deep that made him such a threat last year.
The other two were both excellent, although all three are a bit similar and are currently playing rather close together. Cairney looks a bit like a forward to me and O'Hara (congratulations on the right-foot shot) I would like to see a bit deeper. However we have little to complain about here.

Kacaniklic: Other than being a genuine winger, I'm afraid I don't see what questions Alex answers. He's not quite quick enough, not quite tricky enough, not quite strong enough and not quite dangerous enough.

McCormack: Still hasn't shown up yet. We eagerly await his, hopefully inevitable, arrival.

Woodrow: Looked like he wanted to fight everyone when he came on. A for attitude - but a dangerous policy. Well taken goal.

Dembele: I thought he had a terrific match. Easily my MoM. This 19 year old has always had the physique and the skill. Yesterday he showed the maturity and nous necessary to lead the line. Good in the air, good positions, good runs, not quite the Velcrotov first touch but not too bad. He took a battering but still won a lot of ball and didn't react. Went very close at least twice and worked hard. I would rather see him signed to a new contract than any of our reported targets. 

McBride78

Just watched as well.  Couple of observations:

Cairney's left foot is a cannon.  That free kick late was very well struck and his game was quite good.  I think the key is going to be to continue to get touches to Tom, LVC, Ohara.  I am curious as to what changing him and LVC would do....moving LVC out and putting Tom more central.  Either way, not unhappy with the center of the midfield.  We are doing well in possession.

Dembele I would continue to give opportunity to.  Loved the foul he drew early where he cut back in on two defenders and was tripped as he tried to run at the back four.  He is young and he is raw, but I think he offers qualities that we need, and given the injuries it is worth a run. 

Woodrow's passion was good to see.  I would give him a run in Ross' place in the next game.

Burn - though there were some mistakes....I thought he offered grit that this team needs.  He was busting his arse in the closing minutes to get forward and add something.  I would start him next to hutch.

Voser - not good enough.  outside of the fact he cant stay in front of his man, he gave the ball away a few times, especially late with no reason.

Jazz - average...but compared to our other options he is better a big step up from what is behind him. 

I think, at least until our injuries clear up, I would like to see Ream in place of Voser.  Back four of Burn, Hutch, Richards, Ream.....and keep them together.  I think Andy will organize them and they may jell into a unit that does quite well. 

I am convinced we have more than enough skill to play the ball on the deck going forward.  LVC, O'Hara, Tom all are very talented on the ball.  I thought Dembele showed he can be very tricky as well.  I would like to see us play going forward with the ball on the ground a little more.  Woodrow and Dembele up front, perhaps move Ross out wide for now or bench him....not sure.  We have an issue on the wings anyways.  Kaca offers little for me other than a very strong shot...but we need more creativity.  I would probably give pringle another run.   

All in all, I am pleased with the players given the injuries.  I believe a change in tactics and management can make a huge difference for this team.  We handle possession but have no end product.  The midfield handling possession will take pressure off the defense, but we need to find some end product to really start earning points.

Holders

Touches of Simon Davies about Cairney, I thought.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Twig

Do you think the midfield are creating enough chances? This remains an issue for me despite all the changes to the line up across the middle.

Dodger53

I was a at the game and will not be watching the replay, I thought your summing up quite acurate. One player in particular sums it up for me. Richards yesterday was the same as most of last season and Kit bought him. That tells me Kit does not know the difference between a quality player and an ordinary/poor one, even when given half a season to assess his qualities, somethink Kit said we were lacking last year. He was right last year and unfortunatly last years players are still lacking quality and our coaches do not seem good enough to teach it. Buying Richards showed Kits quality and it isnt there!

bill taylors apprentice

I agree with OP's players assessment up to a point.

I would add....

Richards IMO is one of those players who look ordinary in a poor team but raise their game with better players alongside.

Bodurov, individually has some good points, good in the air, puts his body on the line and reads the game well when the games in front of him.
But he looks nervous on the ball, has poor awareness of whats going on around him, loses his man too often and plays as if he was on his own not as a pair in the CB position.

Voser looked better when the game looked lost, going forward and getting involved but playing on the left with a poor left foot exposes him again and again in attack or defence.
His lack of strength and build is not helping him, Stafilidis wasn't much bigger but when he tackled he went in hard. Voser's a powder puff and a liability.

I shouted abuse at Kaca when he was subbed out of frustration (silly I know) in another wishy washy performance.
What a simple but excellent appraisal of him by the OP.
I think he has a talent but his character is unable to make the most of it.
If this is him coming back from on loan and trying to make a name for himself then lets get a fee for him asap and all move on.  

Demble has grown since last year and looks a talent, with better service he could be awesome.

Skatzoffc

Quote from: cmg on August 23, 2015, 03:00:48 PM
Once again credit to the club for posting a good quality full re-run so promptly.

I wonder how many, especially those who were not in attendance but have been so scathing in their criticism without having seen any of the match, avail themselves of this excellent facility.

My observations, for what they're worth:

First the bad news. Huddersfield were, despite a reasonable defensive shift, pretty poor. We will be lucky to meet a worse team and it's disturbing that we were unable to put away such an uninspiring outfit despite ample possession (the numbers don't lie).We seemed unable, even, to create the kind of chances we have squandered in the past few matches.
Also. This is such a 'tough' league because the abysmal standard of refereeing puts a premium on clogging at the expense of encouraging skill. For instance the challenge on Hutchinson which finished his game (backing into a player who is in mid-air) would be an instant yellow card (+10 min sin-bin) in Rugby Union!

Lonergan: This now seems like an inspired signing. His experience and competence just what was needed after Bett's misfortune.

Richards: Ordinary

Voser: Offers a little bit going forward and is quite a skilled full-back but is sooooo easy to get past.

Bodurov: Despite the general horror his name engenders, had a decent game when he came on.

Burn: Usual mix. Good at the basics and has a little flair but slower than frozen treacle. I'd have to put most of the blame for their goal on his shoulders. Getting nutmeged in the box is never a good idea.

LVC, OHara, Cairney: LVC is improving a bit but still seems tentative at going forward - we see none of those striding runs from deep that made him such a threat last year.
The other two were both excellent, although all three are a bit similar and are currently playing rather close together. Cairney looks a bit like a forward to me and O'Hara (congratulations on the right-foot shot) I would like to see a bit deeper. However we have little to complain about here.

Kacaniklic: Other than being a genuine winger, I'm afraid I don't see what questions Alex answers. He's not quite quick enough, not quite tricky enough, not quite strong enough and not quite dangerous enough.

McCormack: Still hasn't shown up yet. We eagerly await his, hopefully inevitable, arrival.

Woodrow: Looked like he wanted to fight everyone when he came on. A for attitude - but a dangerous policy. Well taken goal.

Dembele: I thought he had a terrific match. Easily my MoM. This 19 year old has always had the physique and the skill. Yesterday he showed the maturity and nous necessary to lead the line. Good in the air, good positions, good runs, not quite the Velcrotov first touch but not too bad. He took a battering but still won a lot of ball and didn't react. Went very close at least twice and worked hard. I would rather see him signed to a new contract than any of our reported targets.  

Just my two penneth worth cmg.
Burn was nut-megged by Voser. Not the Town player.

Voser's toe played it perfectly thro to Wells who thumped it into the net.

A tad unlucky really as Huddersfield were truly dreadful to behold.

A. Kaca was too far up field to cover Voser.
B. Voser was too wide so it took him too long to get close to Bunn's run in.
C. Voser's  toe-poke beat all of our defenders moving in to block Bunn's run.
D. Wells, as usual was the right man in the right place at the right time.

1-0 down
So, a rather unfortunate goal from a number of standpoints.

You're other points I am in agreement with generally, but I still have reservations about Dembele being quite ready. Think he deserves more playing time to prove himself tho..

Ho hum

COYW!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

love4ffc

If not for the replay I would not get to see any of the games.  So I am forever grateful to FFC for this.  

I have not seen the replay yet for Huddersfield and therefor to the original OP I will not talk about the players.  Though from what I read doesn't sound like there is too much good going on the pitch right now.  
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

nose

Quote from: love4ffc on August 23, 2015, 06:44:54 PM
If not for the replay I would not get to see any of the games.  So I am forever grateful to FFC for this. 

I have not seen the replay yet for Huddersfield and therefor to the original OP I will not talk about the players.  Though from what I read doesn't sound like there is too much good going on the pitch right now. 

despite the praise that some seem to shower on him, believe me dembele was quite good for 30 minutes and then disapeared. true he had no proper service, on the other hand he didn't know what he was doing eiother, his first touch is awful for a center forward and he screams inexperienced. He should be used coming off the bench for a while, but what others see that make them say he had a good game is beyond me, the chances he had were squandered.
woodrow on the other hand has a first touch, showed some desire and looks the part but is barely given a proper run in the team.
i think forwards have to be able to control the bal with their first touch, woodrow and ross can, dembele cannot. i like the boy and do see potential, but he should never be starting for us, just too young.

Arthur

Quote from: nose on August 23, 2015, 08:58:12 PM
I have not seen the replay yet for Huddersfield...

...believe me dembele was quite good for 30 minutes and then disapeared.

I thought that both Dembele and Woodrow did well. Neither player is good enough yet that we can afford to shelve our pursuit of Dwight Gayle (if rumours are true). Both, nonetheless, have the potential to make the transition to first XI football at this level.

While I certainly wouldn't describe Dembele's second-half performance as 'outstanding', I do recall him having three attempts at goal. On this alone, it is harsh to say that he 'disappeared'.

My recommendation, however, would be that you watch the re-run and make up your own mind.

nose

Quote from: Arthur on August 23, 2015, 11:01:47 PM
Quote from: nose on August 23, 2015, 08:58:12 PM
I have not seen the replay yet for Huddersfield...

...believe me dembele was quite good for 30 minutes and then disapeared.

I thought that both Dembele and Woodrow did well. Neither player is good enough yet that we can afford to shelve our pursuit of Dwight Gayle (if rumours are true). Both, nonetheless, have the potential to make the transition to first XI football at this level.

While I certainly wouldn't describe Dembele's second-half performance as 'outstanding', I do recall him having three attempts at goal. On this alone, it is harsh to say that he 'disappeared'.

My recommendation, however, would be that you watch the re-run and make up your own mind.

yes I agree he had three attempts but his overal contribution was limited and the three attempts, one in particular, showed a lack of either ability or anticipation in that he had, for a supposedly talented young man, an opportunity to pick his spot and we would have scored but he managed to direct his header straight at the keeper.

personally i think woodrow is the real deal and good enough to start every game, if ross was in front of him then i think we would start scoring more and be a far more potent threat.

millsy

Great OP. I agree:

Voser not strong or good enough for this league
Kaca can't do any of the things a good winger does i.e. Beat a man on the outside, outpace the defender, cross the ball etc. lightweight!
Bodoruv good ability but no awareness or discipline

Do we need a ball winner next to Jamie? Maybe Mantilla or Super Scott when fit?

Riverside

Re ball winner next to O Hara . Why not Tunicliffe .

A for effort last season and in many matches he was out best midfielder ( with little competition )

Agreed also that at the moment Parker will walk straight back in not just as a player but also as captain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk