watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Success vs Style

Started by Ordar, August 24, 2015, 01:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ordar

Personally all I want to do is win games. I don't care how, I just want to win and be successful.

I personally got annoyed with West Ham fans constantly banging on about the "West Ham way". What exactly is that? West Ham have played terrible football practically every year regardless of manager since I started watching football properly in 93. What gives them some divine right to demand Baca type football. Newcastle were the same under Pardew moaning about the style. Mourinho was fired from Chelsea, Inter and Real because he didn't play the "right style". He won countless championships, I know what I'd prefer.

I bring this up because this come up regularly on this forum, about how we need to bring someone in who plays the right "style" of football, because we're apparently renowned for being some glorious attractive team. We had 2 years of spectacular football under Tigana and some of the time under Keegan and Hughes and that was it. Even the successful teams of Hodgson and Adams were more pragmatic than good to watch. The rest of the time the football we've played has been terrible.

Getting promoted for me should be the ONLY priority (especially with the new TV deal next year)

Tempest

For me football is a form of entertainment, so I personally don't care which division we're in I want to watch a match and enjoy it. Obviously all the better if we win but if we've been ripped to shreds by a better team and lose 4-0 I can also appreciate the opponents skill and finishing.

Problem is all too often we've been ripped to shreds by poor teams!

Fulham under big mac, Tigana, Keegan, Newcastle under Keegan too. Some of Fergies teams have been amazing and even Jose down the road, if he would let his team perform for 90 minutes they could destroy any team by a big margin on any given day.

most of our impressive performances have been outside the PL
Live in Falmouth!

RolandAJ

Forget our manger's tactics and style.  I'd like to see how Fulham would play with Kit's tactics while having been coached and trained by Mick McCarthy's staff.
We'd have a win or two I'd bet.
Players have to be coached and motivated.  Ours are not all fit and none play with the commitment that comes from understanding roles and responsibilities.

I agree with Ordar; I'd take any point-producing style for Fulham right now if executed well by a fit and well-drilled squad.

Roland

"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy."  Milan Kundera

Or does that not count because it doesn't fit your grouch-centric opinion?

Fulham76

I enjoy watching good football & I enjoy us winning football matches. A combination of both would be great but we seem a million miles from either at the moment.
We're without a win this season, (in the league), & just 4 wins in god knows how many games. Our recent record is shocking.
To make matters worse, we lose by playing completely crap football. Pass pass pass amongst the back 4 & then smash it long. No real game plan, old fashioned tactics which won't work & crap to watch.
Not a good combination.

H4usuallysitting

It would be nice to see a team that looks like they know each other - that's not asking much is it

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 24, 2015, 06:12:40 PM
Have they been introduced to each other, do they know who the manager is.
We have a Manager???

Tony

Quote from: Fulham76 on August 24, 2015, 05:40:29 PM
I enjoy watching good football & I enjoy us winning football matches. A combination of both would be great but we seem a million miles from either at the moment.
We're without a win this season, (in the league), & just 4 wins in god knows how many games. Our recent record is shocking.
To make matters worse, we lose by playing completely crap football. Pass pass pass amongst the back 4 & then smash it long. No real game plan, old fashioned tactics which won't work & crap to watch.
Not a good combination.
The frustrating thing is that against Bolton last season, we did seem to have urgency, we did seem to keep it on the floor, players did seem to move into spaces, there were actual forward passes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ipmgG3PJjc

LBNo11

...I always thought football was meant to be entertainment, if I'm not entertained what is the point of going?

I'd rather see a team turn up, give their all and try to play good football, win some, draw some and even lose some as long as the team tried their best and we could see they were.

I take it that this puts me in the minority in this day and age of instant gratification - but that's my take on football.

If all you want is to see your team win every game in a relentless manner is it worth going? You may as well sit at home and check the results on the TV or internet if it's win at all cost...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

SG

I'd like to see a win or two above anything else at the moment

love4ffc

Quote from: LBNo11 on August 24, 2015, 08:18:05 PM
...I always thought football was meant to be entertainment, if I'm not entertained what is the point of going?

I'd rather see a team turn up, give their all and try to play good football, win some, draw some and even lose some as long as the team tried their best and we could see they were.

I take it that this puts me in the minority in this day and age of instant gratification - but that's my take on football.

If all you want is to see your team win every game in a relentless manner is it worth going? You may as well sit at home and check the results on the TV or internet if it's win at all cost...

Exactly this!   0001.jpeg
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

hovewhite

Its a results business and id be happier seeing results over style.

mikestrand

Our ambition must be to score more goals than we concede. don't call me Sherlock!
I'm not to fussed about the build up play that achieves our goals.

nose

i think both are possible and if you play the right way you will win AND entertain.#Most successful team play good football most of the time, but know how to dig in when it is not going well.

I do agree west ham and spurs fans live on a strange planet that says they think they have to play exclusively one style regardless of anything else, namely playing staff ability.  I think you evealute your players and choose a style that suits their abilities... however at fulham we don't seem to be doing anything remotely that looks like we have any sort of plan.

Arthur

Quote from: LBNo11 on August 24, 2015, 08:18:05 PM

I entirely agree.

I also agree with nose, above: the most reliable way to win is to play better football than your opponents.