watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (26/07/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 26, 2010, 06:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/07/25/2040883/jurgen-klinsmann-set-to-dive-into-fulham-managerial-hot-seat?
Jurgen Klinsmann set to dive into Fulham managerial hot-seat - report

Former Germany coach Jurgen Klinsmann is believed to be heading Fulham's wish-list, as their search to find Roy Hodgson's successor continues.

According to The People, chairman Mohamed Al Fayed is determined to appoint a pedigree manager and is reportedly not favouring a move for former England manager Sven Goran-Eriksson who took charge of the Ivory Coast at World Cup 2010.

Fulham had been left red faced earlier this week after their failure to land Ajax coach Martin Jol, but Al Fayed will not be rushed into appointing a new dug-out chief.

Klinsmann, hailed as the man who masterminded and matured Germany's latest national team, has been out of work since leaving his post as Bayern Munich manager last summer.

The former German international is currently living in California and is not believed to have applied for any jobs. However, it is reported that the former Tottenham Hotspur striker would jump at the chance of a return to the Premier League.

Fulham are prepared to offer their new manager a £20 million transfer war-chest and a wage in excess of £2m a year.

Current caretaker boss, and Fulham stalwart, Ray Lewington is overseeing pre-season preparations with the Cottagers on a tour of Sweden.

Yet it has been speculated that several first-team players are keen for a new manager to be installed as soon as possible so that their future at the club can be assured.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=206026
Fulham - No Rush?
Having fallen flat on our faces with regards to attaining the services of Martin Jol as our new manager, it was perceived that the suits at Craven Cottage would be keen to put a man in place quickly.

But that doesn`t appear to be the case. According to a Sunday tabloid, the board is now going to take their time in appointing a successor quite content in the knowledge that Ray Lewington is doing a decent job as the temporary charge.

Now he may well be but our fears are that the longer the situation is allowed to drag on the less chance there is of us securing the players services we need to bolster the team.

Do you not think that a delay in appointing a new manager may well result in players being recruited, and subsequently money being spent, that do not fall into the plans any new appointment may have!

It`s a risky business and one that we seem prepared to dally with!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=206026#ixzz0ulOGyIEe

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=206053
Fulham - Good News?
It`s all gone quiet on the Mark Schwarzer front.

Rumours of his apparent departure seem to be thin on the ground and today we`ve further cause to grasp at the possibility that he could be saying when a Sunday tabloid reports that Arsene Wenger is sourcing another top-notch keeper.

It looks like Wenger has switched his attention to the Ajax and Holland stopper - Maarten Stekelenburg.

It might be good news for Fulham supporters but we`re not quite sure Mark Schwarzer will view it the same way!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=206053#ixzz0ulOWLvJx

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/klinsmann_new_name_to_head_list_540181/index.shtml
Klinsmann New Name To Head List

German legend Jurgen Klinsmann is believed to be heading Fulham's wish-list, as their search to find Roy Hodgson's successor continues.
According to The People, chairman Mohamed Al Fayed is determined to appoint a pedigree manager and is reportedly not favouring a move for former England manager Sven Goran-Eriksson who took charge of the Ivory Coast at World Cup 2010.

Fulham had been left red faced earlier this week after their failure to land Ajax coach Martin Jol, but Al Fayed will not be rushed into appointing a new dug-out chief.

Klinsmann, hailed as the man who masterminded and matured Germany's latest national team, has been out of work since leaving his post as Bayern Munich manager last summer.

The former German international is currently living in California and is not believed to have applied for any jobs.

However, it is reported that the former Tottenham Hotspur striker would jump at the chance of a return to the Premier League.

Fulham are prepared to offer their new manager a £20m transfer war-chest and a wage in excess of £2m a year.

Current caretaker boss, and Fulham stalwart, Ray Lewington is overseeing pre-season preparations with the Cottagers on a tour of Sweden.

Yet it has been speculated that several first-team players are keen for a new manager to be installed as soon as possible so that their future at the club can be assured.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/klinsmann-now-frame-vacant-fulham-post-999321?
Klinsmann now in frame for vacant Fulham post

Former Germany coach Jurgen Klinsmann is the latest candidate to be touted for the Fulham job.

Klinsmann, hailed as the mastermind of Germany's latest national team, has been out of work since leaving his post as Bayern Munich manager last summer.

The former German international and Tottenham player is currently living in California and is not believed to have applied for any jobs.

The Cottagers are prepared to offer their new manager a £20 million transfer war-chest and a wage in excess of £2m a year.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=206076
Fulham - Jol Compensation Explosive News!
One of our lovable tabloids has some interesting information contained within its pages today.

Apparently, our quest to secure the services of Martin Jol would have resulted in Fulham paying out an incredible sum of £8.4 million to Ajax.

But, and here`s the real kick in the groin, if we`d have done a deal before July 1st the compensation fee, according to Martin Jol`s contract, would have been a mere £1.5 million.

Interesting!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=206076#ixzz0ulPGFiOV

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=206085
Fulham - Jurgen Klinnsman Touted!
The Sunday People has come up with a new twist in our search for a new manager.

With the emphasis placed on ensuring that the right candidate gets the nod, the Sunday tabloid gives the impression that Sven Goran Eriksson will not get a look in but that the man the board are now intent on getting is Jurgen Klinsmann

The German, who spent time in the Premier League playing for Spurs, is currently out of work after leaving Bayern Munich last summer.

But, living in California, it`s suggested that Fulham would have to do a lot of the running to even get negotiations underway.

Just wishful thinking perhaps!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=206085#ixzz0ulPVgZil

WhiteJC

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/al-fayed-to-turn-to-german-option-1080469.html?
Al Fayed to turn to German option
Fulham, 17:04, July 25, 2010

Former Germany coach Jurgen Klinsmann is the new name in the frame to succeed Roy Hodgson as Fulham manager.

The People claim chairman Mohamed Al Fayed is determined to appoint a pedigree manager and is reportedly not favouring a move for former England manager Sven Goran-Eriksson who took charge of the Ivory Coast at World Cup 2010.

The Cottagers suffered disappointment earlier this week when a compensation wrangle blocked their attempts to appoint Ajax coach Martin Jol.

However, Al Fayed will not be rushed into appointing a new boss as he seeks to find someone of at least equal ability to the new Liverpool supremo to take the job.

The former German international is currently living in California and is not believed to have applied for any jobs but a return to the Premier League may appeal to the former Spurs striker.

Fulham are ready to tempt him with a transfer war-chest of around £20m as well as a considerable wage.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1297554/Celtic-sign-Scunthorpe-striker-Gary-Hooper-eye-free-agent-David-James.html?
Celtic sign Scunthorpe striker Gary Hooper and plan new talks to land free agent David James

Gary Hooper has joined Celtic in a £2.4m deal — and manager Neil Lennon's recruitment in England might not be over yet.

Lennon will try to convince keeper David  James to move north of the border, fending off interest from both Sunderland and Fulham.

Several Championship clubs were interested in Scunthorpe United front-runner Hooper, who has netted 50 goals in two seasons.

Derby and Middlesbrough were among the interested clubs but Hooper wanted to try his luck in Scotland instead of staying in the English second tier.

Meanwhile, Lennon has also made a long-awaited move for Nottingham Forest's Kelvin Wilson. But Forest have knocked back a £1m offer.

City Ground officials are keen to hold on to the centre-half and may end up offering him a new contract.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1297554/Celtic-sign-Scunthorpe-striker-Gary-Hooper-eye-free-agent-David-James.html?#ixzz0ulQVI9hY

WhiteJC

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2010/07/25/cottage-industry-86908-22438952/
Billy McKinlay: I'm ready to take up the role of manager after learning from the best at Fulham

FEW coaches will serve as fine an apprenticeship as Billy McKinlay - he has been six years at Fulham and has a direct line to Roy Hodgson should he ever need advice.

The former Scotland and Dundee United midfielder has enjoyed a first-class grounding in the management game and he's now ready to head out and find a hotseat of his own.

Having worked under Hodgson as a player at Blackburn and coach at Craven Cottage, McKinlay cuts an impressive gure. And there's no denying the new Liverpool manager has been instrumental in the Scotsman's development.

Right down to advice on the little things, such as dealing with the media.

McKinlay told MailSport: "In 2004 Chris Coleman and Stevie Kean invited me to Fulham as a player-coach. They wanted me to help with the reserves and the kids. I was delighted. It was a great opportunity to start out.

"I now think I'm as ready as I'll ever be to become my own man. I've got all my coaching badges.

"I'm not itching to get away but I don't want to be in this job for too long either.

"I'd like the responsibility of being a manager and working with Roy has been fantastic.

"Away from the coaching and tactics, his patience was a huge thing.

"He has the ability to take a step back from a situation and analyse it. It's better to do that than jump in with both feet and make a decision on the back of emotion.

"That leads to poor decision-making and Roy was never guilty of that. I learned so much about that side.

"The good managers never lose the plot. They lose their tempers but not the plot.

"I used to think years and years ago that when Jim McLean was reading the riot act at Dundee United - and that was pretty often - that he had totally lost it.

"Now, with the benefit of experience, I know he never lost it, he was always in control. He'd take his emotions to the limit but still make the right decisions.

"Roy used to say to me that what you wanted to say was not always what needed to be said. The most important thing was to make a balanced decision.

"It's vital not to go chasing short-term satisfaction as it might not necessarily equate to a long-term solution.

"You might get something off your chest and feel good about yourself, but it could cause you a problem and you're left to pick up the pieces for days.

"Roy was also my manager at Blackburn and I was fortunate enough to have the benefit of his coaching as a player.

"Then when I got into coaching I'd phone him up to pick his brain. I'd go over to Finland when he was manager there and see him in action.

"When he came here it was even more of an education to listen to him every day. I was learning from the master.

"His organisation and preparation are second to none. Every training session has a real purpose and every team-talk is informative. There's barely a second or a word wasted with Roy.

"I'm sorry to see him go. Liverpool have gained an excellent manager. If he has the finance to bring in a few top players then there's no doubt he'll be successful."

McKinlay isn't sure what the short-term future holds for him under Hodgson's successor, whoever that may be.

But regardless of where he ends up, he will keep an eye on the young pros at Fulham to make sure they maximise their potential.

He said: "Time is of the essence for young players. If they want to go on and make it as established Premiership players they have to work hard. If they don't they won't make it.

"I drill that into them every day. I emphasise how lucky they are and not to lose the chance they have been given.

"In general the youngsters are lazy and it's up to coaches to nudge them in the right direction and polish their rough edges.

"When I was kid I worked hard and I rarely stepped out of line. Considering where I was, there wasn't the chance to go off on one under Jim McLean, Walter Smith and Gordon Wallace. You didn't mess about with them."

Those illustrious names all gave McKinlay a sound grounding and he went on to carve a fine career at Ewood Park and as part of the Scotland squad that went to Euro 96 and France 98.

McKinlay almost ended up back at Tannadice last New Year as boss. He was interviewed for the job in London and impressed Stephen Thompson.

But Peter Houston's time as caretaker gaffer gathered momentum and he was chosen as Craig Levein's replacement.
McKinlay said: "There's a good group of players there. It would have been a great job to get but it just never happened for one or two reasons.

"Full credit to Peter Houston. I was delighted for them to win the Scottish Cup last season.

"That chance has now gone for me but it hasn't put me off. I'd consider managing in England and Scotland, as long as it's a progressive club.

"I know I won't be able to simply pick and choose my jobs and I'm completely humble about that."

WhiteJC

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/football-news/2010/07/25/hughes-marked-man-for-fulham-91466-26924679/
Mark Hughes in the running for Fulham job

WALES football legend Mark Hughes has joined the race for the Fulham manager's job as the Premier League club appear to waver over their interest in Cardiff City's Dave Jones.

The Bluebirds boss was installed as red-hot favourite for the post last week after Mohammed Al Fayed's first choice Martin Jol chose to remain with Dutch giants Ajax.

Fulham put Jones on their initial three-man short-list, with Jol and Sven-Goran Eriksson the other leading contenders.

But Cardiff insist no formal approach has been made to them over Jones, while Eriksson's agent Athole Still also maintains his client has not been spoken to.

It is understood former Welsh boss Sparky has emerged as a genuine new contender, his odds with the bookmakers having plummeted.

Eriksson is the bookies' favourite, followed by Jones and Hughes.

Other contenders being mentioned, although way behind that trio in the odds, are Alan Curbishley, Gianfranco Zola, German Ottmar Hitzfeld and the USA's World Cup coach Bob Bradley. Al Fayed has a history of appointing managers with an international pedigree, ex-Inter Milan and Switzerland boss Roy Hodgson, Kevin Keegan and French great Jean Tigana amongst the men who have held down the Craven Cottage hot-seat under him.

Eriksson, who has managed England, the Ivory Coast and Mexico, and Hughes, who bossed Wales and made his name as a worldwide football figure, each come into that category.

Jones is viewed more as a conservative option if Fulham decide they want a less high-profile Englishman to build on the good work started by Hodgson.

The Bluebirds maintain Fulham have not made contact over Jones and that their manager, who took the team to Notts County yesterday, is focussing upon the coming Championship campaign with Cardiff.

It is understood Eriksson had initially been dismissive over the position at Craven Cottage, but the Swede's agent claimed the former England coach had "unfinished business" in the Premier League after he was sacked from Manchester City in 2008.

"Fulham are a very attractive club, not just for Sven, but there has been no contact," said Still.

"We've known for some weeks Sven was one of the managers under consideration.

"He was outrageously sacked from his position at City, where he did a first-class job.

"It was a personal non-compatibility with then owner Thaksin Shinawatra which caused him to be sacked. He should still be there."

Ironically, Eriksson was replaced by Hughes who himself was subsequently dismissed by Manchester City's new owners.

Free agent Hughes has been out of work since and is keen to get back into management with the right club.

Sparky has seen his name linked with a number of jobs in recent weeks, including the national teams of Turkey and the Ivory Coast, as well as mega-rich Dubai club Al Ahli.

But he wants to try his hand again in the Premier League following the unceremonious manner in which Manchester City got rid of him last season.

Hughes was heavily linked with the West Ham job last season, but a source close to the Welshman said: "He turned down West Ham because they already had a manager in Franco Zola.

"What happened to Mark when he left Manchester City left a bitter taste and he would never do to another manager what happened to him.

"He has already turned down two Premier League jobs because he is waiting for the right one.

"He wants the right job, not any job."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1297583/Hull-refuse-risk-transfer-listed-Jimmy-Bullard-pre-season.html
Hull refuse to risk Jimmy Bullard as transfer-listed midfielder is forced to sit out of pre-season

Jimmy Bullard is being left out of all of Hull's pre-season matches because the club, who want to offload him, say they do not want the midfielder to pick up an injury.

Chief executive Adam Pearson said: 'Jimmy has been training, but won't be playing.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1297583/Hull-refuse-risk-transfer-listed-Jimmy-Bullard-pre-season.html#ixzz0ulSEmhJq