watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is it right to make Ross captain

Started by Andy S, August 24, 2015, 08:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

I have always thought that a captain should be a defender or a midfield player at this level. I know England have sometimes made the goal keeper captain but at international level you should have 11 captains on the field of play. Does it make any difference?

Blanco

I'd like O'Hara as captain. Maybe too soon though? He hasn't played that many games. He's qualified though. Man of the match on various occasions. Don't know who else apart from him and Ross could be captain. Ross is off his game but taking the armband from him might do more damage than good. I dunno.

love4ffc

For me it doesn't matter what position the player plays that ends up captain.  What does matter is that it's a player who is a leader and who leads by example. 

Thought by Kit making Ross captain it would show Ross how much Kit believes in him and get Ross started on the right foot for the season.  Obviously it has not worked so I think O'Hara is the obvious choice at this point in time. 

Just for example Carles Puyol or Brian McBride are the perfect examples for me as to what a captain should be. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

EricB

If Ross was not captain, what other reason would there be to name him in the team based on his current form?

love4ffc

Quote from: EricB on August 24, 2015, 10:48:03 PM
If Ross was not captain, what other reason would there be to name him in the team based on his current form?

Excellent question.  Not sure there currently is and again this is where Kit needs to show his man management. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

ScalleysDad

We always liked captains to come from the central midfield s they could see what was going on all around them. Add to that a natural motivator respected by their team mates and a character leading by example and you have a captain. Everything in fact the fat 44 is not.
We are such in a mess in that as Kit was the plaster off the pitch last season O Hara has to be the plaster on the pitch this and if form applies to everybody else the fat 44 needs to sit a couple out.
So what happens when Parker returns anyway ......................... or is he off to Bournemouth rumour monger dot com? 

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

I think I am right - Mullery, Bobbie Moore, Cookie, Brede, Haynes

to name a few who played in certain positions, not forwards though

Ross needs to focus & concentrate on his own game & not the rest of the team @ present

But will Kit have the bottle to take it away from him? 

Jonaldiniho 88

On last seasons performances he has every right. He was player of the season, he also when on a hat trick selflessly tried to give tunni the ball, he also gave cauley a pen because he wasn't on goal bonuses but cauley was. Seemed selfless and well respected. He has started this season like he started last.... Badly. In this team, on paper he should have got it. To take it away from him would be somewhat of an insult. To some players that gets them playing better, to some the opposite. I wouldn't to be willing to risk him not being happy here as although he isn't playing well he can and I think will. Alienate him at our own peril. I wouldn't have moussa and cauley on board (if moussa is) and a pissed of Ross on the books.

In essence, is he the most deserving as we stand? No. Is it worth undermining him when we need him? No. Lesser of two evils. I don't think a stand in captain means anything these days anyway.

Domino1879

Ross is not Captain material. FACT.
He has no leadership qualities imo.  Saw him with the armband several times last season when Parker missed games.  No encouragement on the pitch at all - neither by words nor actions.  Just the same this year, except he appears to have developed a lazy/arrogant streaks berating younger players who don't put the ball just where HE wants it.  Aka Berbatov.
Frankly if a good offer came in, I might consider selling him..........controversial maybe but based on his current performances????

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: Domino1879 on August 25, 2015, 12:19:15 AM
He has no leadership qualities imo.  Saw him with the armband several times last season when Parker missed games.  No encouragement on the pitch at all - neither by words nor actions.  Just the same this year, except he appears to have developed a lazy/arrogant streaks berating younger players who don't put the ball just where HE wants it.  Aka Berbatov.
Frankly if a good offer came in, I might consider selling him..........controversial maybe but based on his current performances????

Him not being captain is a question worth debating. Selling him in our current situation isn't.  We would need two or three in including Gayle for me to even consider it. We would be league one without him. I think with what you have said in your post, without you elaborating, is ridiculous.

alfie

Why on earth did you use the word FACT, when it is only your opinion. If you watched Brede when he was captain he very rarily encouraged his fellow players, in fact not sure that he ever said a word.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Max Headroom

I didn't go on Saturday, but  then fiend who used my tickets said he was bullying dembele. I'm not sure he hit it off with Robers other, so no I don't think he should be captain

One Martin Thomas

He's class. He's signed a contract extension. However, he needs goals and has a slight arrogance about him. I could see him working well with the Greek and he needs that level of player around him.someone at his level and someone he respects as a player. Nope... He should not be captain.

Allestree andy

why not make  o'harah captain, he has the vision, skill, and his distribution is second to none, reminds me of danny murphy with his awareness of the situation, and his free kicks aint bad either.
:022:
To the limit and beyond

Fulham1959

Quote from: alfie on August 25, 2015, 08:20:50 AM

Why on earth did you use the word FACT, when it is only your opinion. If you watched Brede when he was captain he very rarily encouraged his fellow players, in fact not sure that he ever said a word.

Two good points !

Riverside

Any idea when Parker is due back ?

Him fit solves this question immediately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burt

For me the captain has to be a larger-than-life presence on the field, constantly talking to those around him, spotting when things aren't happening as planned and acting accordingly, holding others to account if they aren't doing what they should be doing, encouraging the team if they need geeing up, recognizing and acknowledging good things as they happen, marshalling and commanding, being vocal, etc. etc.

We haven't had anyone like that for ages. Murphy and McBride were the last examples that come to mind. Ross hasn't shown that he will step up to this either.

ffc73

Quote from: love4ffc on August 24, 2015, 11:10:39 PM
Quote from: EricB on August 24, 2015, 10:48:03 PM

Excellent question.  Not sure there currently is and again this is where Kit needs to show his man management. 

This.  I would also add I personally would phone Norwich and see if they were still interested in Ross and if they are suggest a straight swap for Hooper (and Turner)

nose

ross is a poor captain and his form suffers every time he does the job.... therefore relieve him of the duty and let him concentrate on playing.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

A captain does not only have to lead by example, he has to evaluate what's happening on the pitch
for 90 minutes and should tweak it as he sees fit.
ie: if he sees Voser is getting roasted he should say to Pringle (or whoever) get back and help Voser until we sort this out.
The Manager (who in our case has his eyes at knee height) will then send out instructions, or not as the case may be.
The captain should also be geeing everyone up to get in the opponents faces if necessary and should have the authority to have a go at an individual if he feels fit (or preferably a quiet word)
He should be making sure people are positioned properly at defensive corners.
He should suggest what to do with attacking free kicks because he should have worked out defensive weakness in the opposition.
A captain at this level cannot be everyone's buddy.

Traditionally Scotsmen have been good captains (and subsequently managers) and Ross on his game and scoring would be an obvious choice, because he would be hyped up and that would spill over to others.
WE did see that a lot last season.
However he's not on his game but is a grown man and highly paid and should be replaced temporarily.
A good manager would have a quiet word and say "Look Ross, you know you're not up to scratch at the moment so I'm taking the band of you to allow you to focus on your game. We'll see how it goes"
The Scots are also very proud but I've never met one that sulks.
He is Lord Raglan to Kit's Lord Cardigan (or is it the other way around)
or Doctor Ross Spock to Captain Kit Kirk   !

O'Hara would be my choice as well, from what I've seen on the FFC games.

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES