https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (25/08/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 25, 2015, 07:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham need to improve or Symons' head is on the chopping block

Symons is running out of time to turn things around, writes Dimitri Kondonis

As Cauley Woodrow salvaged a point with his last minute equaliser against Huddersfield, boss Kit Symons must have felt relieved to not be the recipient of a late goal for the first time this season.

Having conceded in the 86th minute twice, and once in injury time from their previous three Championship matches, Fulham mustered a late goal of their own this time around to record a second point from a possible 12.

But it still wasn't enough to spare Symons from heavy rumbles of discontent, as an unreceptive crowd heckled the manager throughout the match - and immediately after celebrating Woodrow's equaliser, set about as if they had been heavily defeated.

The Craven Cottage crowd were displeased after witnessing a match where the visitors adhered to a basic plan - and the hosts were struggling to deal with it.

With the dangerous Nakhi Wells spearheading their attack, and Sean Scannell a threat down the wing, Town were always going to be a threat on the break.

And Fulham's mediocre play from kick-off should have been a spectacle to behold - except that fans of the Cottagers have become far too accustomed to what they saw.

Having suffered for two consecutive years - with the brief interruption of the Rene Meulensteen 'regime' - Whites fans have been increasingly used to watching their side devoid of any rapid movement on the break and an appalling lack of movement.

That's exactly what they were treated to again as they faced a Huddersfield side who finished just one place above themselves last season.

Jamie O'Hara and Tom Cairney have both excelled since joining the club - the latter with a couple of brilliant strikes in the space of a few days, and the former pulling the strings in midfield.

And with Lasse Vigen Christensen back in the squad and striker Ross McCormack playing in a deeper role, the Cottagers' midfield should have been a lot more dynamic and fast paced than it has been this season.

Instead, the crowd have been treated to a comedy of errors in possession and a series of backpasses after being on the front foot.

Without an efficient forward outlet - one which should have been McCormack or injured striker Matt Smith - the Whites end up in a daze when moving forward.

Alexander Kacaniklic doesn't provide enough attacking penetration as a winger, Ben Pringle has endured a mixed start to his career, and Cairney enjoys his best form when cutting inside from the right.

The end result has provided an incredibly blunt Fulham attack and a defensive line riddled with uncertainty which ensures that as a unit, the Whites aren't strong enough to enjoy a good season.

The goal conceded to Huddersfield provided a wonderful example of their desperate need for a defender; Harry Bunn running through three players and Nakhi Wells granted the freedom of the penalty area to tuck his shot into the corner.

Another centre-back is required desperately- see their pursuit of Lewis Dunk - while Luke Garbutt can't recover any faster after the vulnerable Kay Voser endures horrid match after horrid match.

Symons has been targeting the right calibre of player for the Whites, but that won't reap success alone - he urgently needs to find a formula in which he can get the best of these players.

And the Welshman seems to be running out of time, having lost favour with a majority of the fans during the previous campaign.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-need-improve-symons-head-9915119?

WhiteJC

Manager personalities

While I catch up on video (currently watching Hull game), a brief note I've been meaning to post for a while about how Kit Symons got a bit of a boost post-Magath.

The below is taken directly from the Bill James Guide to Baseball Managers. I believe this to be absolutely true.  The team probably had the right idea in hiring Magath, but got the wrong version of high pressure. Kit was in some ways exactly what the club needed after Magath, but the board/committee/whoever may have (probably did) err in misjudging the improved results that followed.

https://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2015/08/24/manager-personalities/?

WhiteJC

Woodrow: Turn The Corner

Cauley Woodrow hopes that Fulham's luck is starting to change after the Whites were on the right end of a late goal for the first time this season.

In our previous three Sky Bet Championship matches, goals in the 86th minute saw the Whites draw and lose at Cardiff City and Hull City, whilst a 94th-minute penalty won Brighton & Hove Albion the three points in our previous home encounter.

But it was Fulham who struck a late blow on Saturday, as substitute Woodrow rifled home in the fourth minute of stoppage time to secure a deserved point against Huddersfield Town.

"I'm delighted, obviously," the 20-year-old told the official website. "I hadn't played any minutes in the league yet and when the Manager said I was coming on I just wanted to do the best I could, and I was delighted to get a goal for the draw.

"It's not really the result we wanted but you'd 100 per cent take that having been losing in the 94th minute.

"We conceded quite late in the previous games and even on Saturday Huddersfield didn't really have a lot of chances until their goal.

"We seemed to be on top at that time as well so I don't know if it's bad luck or whatever, but hopefully getting a late goal and a bit of luck with that draw means we can turn those into wins in the future."

Woodrow's only previous appearance in 2015/16 has come in the Capital One Cup, but Kit Symons brought him on with a quarter of an hour remaining on Saturday – a substitution which had the desired impact.

Dan Burn had gone up front in the closing stages and provided a neat assist for the goal, and Woodrow is hoping he's staked a claim for more game-time following the injury picked up by Matt Smith earlier in the week.

"I just saw Dan up there, and it's a bit like when Matty Smith plays," the striker said of his goal. "There was a nice ball in for one of the big lads to head down, Dan headed it into my path and I managed to chest it and smash it in the net.

"Obviously it's a bad period for Matty and he's a big player for our team so it's not a good thing that's happened but in terms of me and Moussa [Dembélé], we're both young lads and both want to play, so it's an opportunity for us to hopefully try and get some minutes.

"I just want to play – everyone wants to play and just do the best they can. I've only played in the cup this season so to come on and get a goal on Saturday was really good for my confidence and obviously good for the team as well."

Fulham are back at Craven Cottage as early as Tuesday, as we entertain Sheffield United in the Second Round of the League Cup.

The Blades are one of the favourites for promotion from League One so there's no risk of underestimating them, but Woodrow is keen to secure safe passage in the competition and build some momentum is the process.

"It's a big game for us," he insisted. "We haven't won as many as we would've liked this season so it's a good opportunity for us to try and get a win against Sheffield United and hopefully then we can take that form into the league."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/august/24/woodrow-turn-the-corner?

WhiteJC

Championship club Fulham set to move for Cardiff City man

Sky Bet Championship outfit Fulham are closing in on the signing of Cardiff City goalkeeper Joe Lewis on loan, a club insider from Fulham has informed Football League World.

Fulham boss Kit Symons is very keen to sign the the 27-year-old custodian after losing first choice goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli to injury.

Lewis signed for the Bluebirds from Peterborough United back in 2012 but has only made two appearances after struggling to better first choice 'keeper David Marshall – last season he made the loan switch to relegated Blackpool, playing 36 times for them.

The former Peterborough United goalkeeper will certainly provide cover and competition for Fulham's current back up 'keeper Andy Lonergan as well as bringing a vast amount of experience to Craven Cottage.

Fulham are still waiting on the severity of Bettinelli's injury after he suffered knee ligament damage, which may affect how long Lewis stays in the capital.

Kit Symons' side currently sit in 21st position in the Sky Bet Championship, after what has been a poor start to their 2015/16 campaign, with the club losing twice, and drawing twice.

Read more at http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/championship-club-fulham-set-to-move-for-cardiff-city-man/?#4PHmU5QOxj12c3MO.99

WhiteJC

Kit keen to kick-start season

Beleaguered boss Kit Symons will hope to seize a Capital One Cup victory against Sheffield United to kick-start Fulham's floundering season.

Symons was booed regularly throughout Fulham's 1-1 Championship draw with Huddersfield on Saturday, increasing the pressure on his Craven Cottage future. The ex-Fulham defender will be desperate for a home victory against the League One Blades on Tuesday night then, with his side still winless in league action this term.

New signing Sakari Matilla and Shaun Hutchinson will be doubts after sustaining knocks at the weekend. Blades boss Nigel Adkins has hinted he will make changes after Saturday's 2-0 home League One win over Blackpool, as he did in the last round.

Only three of the men who started the opening day 4-0 defeat at Gillingham - Kieron Freeman, Jay McEveley and Chris Basham - were retained for the 1-0 cup win at Morecambe three days later.

Adkins has pointed to the depth of his squad and with three away games to play inside eight days - at Fulham, in this competition, Swindon in the league and Hartlepool in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy - knows he may have to be creative.

Defender Neill Collins and midfielder Stefan Scougall missed the Blackpool game with calf and ankle injuries respectively.

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/sheffield-united/kit-keen-to-kick-start-season-1779240.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Sheff Utd

CAPITAL ONE CUP SECOND ROUND
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Tuesday, 25 August Kick off: 19:45 BST
Coverage: Updates on BBC Radio 5 live and live text on the BBC Sport website.

Fulham will assess Shaun Hutchinson and Sakari Matilla after the duo picked up knocks at the weekend.

Scott Parker, Luke Garbutt and Jack Grimmer (all ankle) and Fernando Amorebieta, Marcus Bettinelli, Matt Smith and George Williams (all knee) are sidelined.

Sheffield United will check on centre-back Neil Collins (calf) and midfielder Stefan Scougall (gashed ankle).

The Blades reached the semi-finals of the competition last season.

The League One side were beaten 3-2 on aggregate by Tottenham in the last four, while Fulham have reached the fourth round of the League Cup in the last two seasons.

MATCH FACTS

Fulham have scored in each of their last 22 home League Cup games, averaging 2.68 goals per game.
Sheffield United have won seven and drawn three of 10 FA and League Cup matches against Fulham.
The Blades' last trip to Craven Cottage saw them score a 120th minute winner in an FA Cup replay (February 2014).
Fulham's only defeat to a lower-ranked side in the League Cup at Craven Cottage since 1990 came against Wycombe in 2006, with the Whites winning their other 10 home ties in this period.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33970046

WhiteJC

Matchday Parking

Whilst the Club encourages fans to travel to the Cottage by public transport, if you do decide to attend games by car, please make sure you pay extra attention to road signs and parking notices.

It has been brought to the Club's attention that a number of fans received parking tickets after an evening game at the end of last season.

Fans are also advised that the industrial action originally scheduled to take place this week has now been suspended.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/august/24/matchday-parking?

WhiteJC

Lewis Arrives On Loan

The Club is delighted to confirm the season-long loan signing of goalkeeper Joe Lewis from Cardiff City.

The 27-year-old came through the Norwich City academy and gained experience in League Two during loan spells with Stockport County and Morecambe, before joining Peterborough United in January 2008 for a club record fee.

He immediately established himself as Posh's number one as they ended the season by winning promotion to League One, while he was ever-present as they made it back-to-back promotions with a second place finish in 2008/09.

Peterborough suffered relegation from the Championship after one season, but instantly returned via the Play-Offs at the end of the 2010/11 campaign. Unfortunately, though, a serious injury ruled Lewis out of the second leg and the Final.

He made his comeback in December 2011 and featured 12 times as the club fared considerably better in England's second tier, finishing 18th. He joined Cardiff in the summer having made almost 200 appearances during his time with Peterborough.

Lewis has made just five appearances for the Welsh outfit, but impressed on loan at Blackpool last season – notably when the 10-man Seasiders secured a 2-2 draw at Craven Cottage.

He has represented England at a variety of age groups up to Under-21, and was in the senior squad in May 2008 for friendly matches against the United States and Trinidad & Tobago.

Speaking to the official website following confirmation of the deal, Lewis - who will wear the number 12 shirt - said: "I'm delighted. It all happened quite quickly. Obviously Marcus got injured and the club saw that it was a bad one and acted to get some cover.

"There's real potential here. Fulham were recently in the Premier League and you just feel that the Club is ready to be back there as well, so hopefully I can be part of something that will get us there."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/august/24/lewis-arrives-on-loan?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Sheff Utd Preview

Beleaguered boss Kit Symons will hope to seize a Capital One Cup victory against Sheffield United to kick-start Fulham's floundering season.

Symons was booed regularly throughout Fulham's 1-1 Championship draw with Huddersfield on Saturday, increasing the pressure on his Craven Cottage future.

The ex-Fulham defender will be desperate for a home victory against the League One Blades on Tuesday night then, with his side still winless in league action this term.

New signing Sakari Matilla and Shaun Hutchinson will be doubts after sustaining knocks at the weekend.

Blades boss Nigel Adkins has hinted he will make changes after Saturday's 2-0 home League One win over Blackpool, as he did in the last round.

Only three of the men who started the opening day 4-0 defeat at Gillingham - Kieron Freeman, Jay McEveley and Chris Basham - were retained for the 1-0 cup win at Morecambe three days later.

Adkins has pointed to the depth of his squad and with three away games to play inside eight days - at Fulham, in this competition, Swindon in the league and Hartlepool in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy - knows he may have to be creative.

Defender Neill Collins and midfielder Stefan Scougall missed the Blackpool game with calf and ankle injuries respectively.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/match-preview/350884/-?

WhiteJC

Fulham: Cardiff goalkeeper Joe Lewis arrives on loan

Fulham have signed goalkeeper Joe Lewis on a season-long loan from Championship rivals Cardiff City.

The 27-year-old spent most of last season on loan at Blackpool, where he made 36 appearances.

Lewis will provide cover for Marcus Bettinelli, who damaged knee ligaments in Fulham's 2-1 defeat at Hull.

"There's real potential here. Fulham were recently in the Premier League and you just feel that the club is ready to be back there," he said.

"I'm delighted. It all happened quite quickly. Obviously Marcus got injured and the club saw that it was a bad one and acted to get some cover," Lewis added, speaking to the club website.

Lewis joined Cardiff from Peterborough United in 2012, but has only made five appearances for the Bluebirds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34046353

WhiteJC

Lewis Dunk signs new five-year contract with Brighton

Brighton & Hove Albion defender Lewis Dunk has committed his long-term future to the club, signing a new five-year contract that will run until June 2020.

The 23-year-old, who graduated through the club's youth and U21 teams, had attracted interest during this transfer window, most notably from Championship rivals Fulham, who have seen their bids rebuffed.

Dunk said: "I am absolutely delighted to commit my long-term future to the club. I know there has been a lot of speculation, but I have been with this club for a long time and genuinely had little desire to go anywhere else.

"The manager and club made it clear that they see me as an important part of the club's future, and seeing that desire to keep me here at the club made it an easy decision in the end.

"My focus now is to help the club continue the excellent start we have made to the new season, and ultimately to help Brighton & Hove Albion achieve the club's aim of playing football in the Premier League."

Manager Chris Hughton added: "We made it clear to Lewis that both the club and I saw him as a key player for us and a big part of this club's future.

"We have made it consistently clear throughout this transfer window that we wanted to keep hold of our best players, and I know that isn't always easy when clubs with much bigger resources than ours express an interest in our players.

"That is our aim, to enhance and build on what we have here, and with that in mind, I would like to thank the club, and in particular the chairman Tony Bloom, for ensuring Lewis's long-term future with us.

"Lewis has been fantastic for me from the first moment I came into the football club, and with the additions in that area, it means we are now very strong in the defensive part of the squad and team."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12875/9964638/lewis-dunk-signs-new-five-year-contract-with-brighton?

WhiteJC

Adkins Might Field Reserves At Fulham

Looking ahead to tonight's Capital One (2nd round) clash at Fulham, Nigel Adkins revealed that he may rest some vital players.

The Blades were successful in beating Morecambe (1-0) in round one, to earn a tie against Championship opposition. But despite the Blades reaching the semi-finals last season, the United chief will be keen to look at more important matters, with vital games yet to come.

"Yes, there are going to be some changes," Adkins told the Sheffield Star. "We've got a group of players, a group of good players, and we have that for a reason. It is there to be used. This season, as we've mentioned before, is a long, hard grind. It's tough and it places demands on people who are already working very, very hard. We don't like to give anything away but we've got a lot of away games coming up - this one, then Swindon and after that Hartlepool in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy - so we are mindful of that."

This may give George Long, Callum McFadzean, Louis Reed, Michael Higdon and Martyn Woolford a placve in the starting line-up.
Tonight's Possible XI...
Long
Freeman - Edgar - McEverley (c) - McFadzean
Campbell-Ryce - Reed - J.Wallace - Woolford
Higdon - McNulty

http://www.sheffieldunited-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/adkins_might_field_reserves_at_fulham_868700/index.shtml?

Fulham1959

Quote from: WhiteJC on August 25, 2015, 07:58:05 AM

Manager personalities

While I catch up on video (currently watching Hull game), a brief note I've been meaning to post for a while about how Kit Symons got a bit of a boost post-Magath.

The below is taken directly from the Bill James Guide to Baseball Managers. I believe this to be absolutely true.  The team probably had the right idea in hiring Magath, but got the wrong version of high pressure. Kit was in some ways exactly what the club needed after Magath, but the board/committee/whoever may have (probably did) err in misjudging the improved results that followed.

https://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2015/08/24/manager-personalities/?

Makes a lot of sense.