watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ross prefers being upfront

Started by Lighthouse, August 27, 2015, 12:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

Interesting article on the Offal. I know we read too much into all this. But clearly Ross doesn't like playing so deep.

Ross McCormack was pleased to get off the mark for the season against Sheffield United, and is looking forward to occupying a more attacking role as the campaign progresses.

The 29-year-old has regularly played off the frontman during his time at Fulham, but he's hoping that going back to his roots will lead to more goals, as it did on Tuesday evening.

"I'm buzzing," he told the official website after his brace in the Capital One Cup. "It's similar to last year in that it took a little while to get going, but I had a good chat with the Manager on Sunday and just said that when I came to the Club I was a striker and I think it's best if I can get back to that, being in and around the box.

"So I'm pleased that I was up front in the cup and I got two goals to repay that faith. When I've been playing in the hole in behind strikers then it's my job to come deep and link the play, but I feel a lot better when I'm further up the pitch and I'm around the box, as the second goal showed.

"When you've got the chance to come inside and get shots away and stuff, I feel a lot more comfortable."

After McCormack's double had put the Whites in control of the Second Round tie, Moussa Dembélé turned Nikolay Bodurov's volley in late on to also open his account for the campaign.

It was a goal his energetic performance has warranted, and McCormack was pleased to see his teammate add his name to the scoresheet.

"Moussa was good," he admitted. "He's dangerous, he's got pace. If he plays up front with me, or whoever else, it's all about partnerships.

"We worked okay on Tuesday – I've not played up front much with Moussa but I think he can be proud of his performance, I thought he looked really dangerous."

After a testing first half in which both sides had chances to take the lead, it was the Whites who took the game by the scruff of its neck after the restart – and McCormack was always confident once that first goal was secured.

"It was tough – they gave us a good game," he said. "They looked dangerous on the counter attack but I think it was a case of just getting that first goal and seeing the game off, and we did that.

"We had a few opportunities in the first half that we didn't quite make the most of. A couple of times people made the wrong decisions and it wasn't going for us, but as I said, once we got the first goal it was never in doubt."

With Fulham still searching for a first Sky Bet Championship win of the season, a comfortable victory and a good performance was important against the Blades, and when asked what the result can do for confidence, McCormack replied: "A lot. It's always good to have a little run in the cup if you can.

"Confidence-wise you look to take the positives from every game and there were a lot of positives on Tuesday."

The aim now is to carry that momentum into Saturday's trip to Rotherham United, as McCormack explained: "It's all rosy in the cup when you get into the next round and what have you, but the league is the bread and butter. It's all about picking up points in the league and we really need to start doing that."
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Riverside

More bite in the midfield will help him play more advanced .

Tunni must stay .

He and O Hara could be a good pairing until Parker is back .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burt

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 27, 2015, 12:02:43 PM
With Fulham still searching for a first Sky Bet Championship win of the season, a comfortable victory and a good performance was important against the Blades, and when asked what the result can do for confidence, McCormack replied: "A lot. It's always good to have a little run in the cup if you can.

"Confidence-wise you look to take the positives from every game and there were a lot of positives on Tuesday."

The aim now is to carry that momentum into Saturday's trip to Rotherham United, as McCormack explained: "It's all rosy in the cup when you get into the next round and what have you, but the league is the bread and butter. It's all about picking up points in the league and we really need to start doing that."

This is key, and goes back to the comments on here after the cup game. Yes it may have been the Capital One cup, and yes it may have been against a second-string Sheff Utd team, but anything which gives the team some confidence back and starts to build momentum is important...

mikestrand

The slowest dropping penny finally hits the ground.

GrahamG

Shock. Horror. "Twenty Goals a Season Striker Prefers Life Upfront." I don't suppose any of us could have worked that out. Let's just hope that Kit has finally seen the light.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: GrahamG on August 27, 2015, 12:32:47 PM
Shock. Horror. "Twenty Goals a Season Striker Prefers Life Upfront." I don't suppose any of us could have worked that out. Let's just hope that Kit has finally seen the light.
From reading that, it would seem that Kit didn't see the light - rather Ross had to put it to him!

MJG

Whitesideup

Quote from: Riverside on August 27, 2015, 12:12:45 PM
More bite in the midfield will help him play more advanced .

Tunni must stay .

He and O Hara could be a good pairing until Parker is back .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh please...not Parker. His performances last year were generally below par .. bar one or two good games. Defensively sometimes not too bad, but offensively he offers absolutely nothing. I just don't see him contributing and the Championship is too tough for one-dimensional players.

One Martin Thomas

Nice reading. Liked his comments about Debbie too. A lot of people may have misjudged him... including me about his suitability as a captain. Like this a lot.

alfie

So all the posters on here that have had a go at him for doing what his done maybe owe him an appology for doing what his manager instructed him to do.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

leonffc

Quote from: alfie on August 27, 2015, 01:35:05 PM
So all the posters on here that have had a go at him for doing what his done maybe owe him an appology for doing what his manager instructed him to do.

I was frustrated at him but yes, spot on. It was always a management issue, whether him being told to drop deep or him doing it on his own (unlikely) and Kit not addressing it.
I was shocked to see him dropping into the back 4 to receive the ball against Palace though. It's one thing being a link up attacker dropping in to going that deep - although Gascoigne did for England all the time and Bullard for us (one of the reasons Roy got shot? Poor discipline)

glenhodgso

"but I had a good chat with the Manager on Sunday and just said that when I came to the Club I was a striker and I think it's best if I can get back to that"

In my fantasy world the conversation really went along the lines of:

RM - What's the plan for me this year guv?
KS  - Same as last year, Ross, holding back, covering the wings and dropping deep to support the defence
RM - But guv, the way I see it is that you're not secure in your position, I really do want to stay at Fulham and not ask for a transfer before Tuesday, and I would never want to undermine you or anything, but .... when I came to the Club I was a striker and I think it's best if I can get back to that

RaySmith

Is it because we now have a better midfield, thus enabling Ross to play up front, plus the fact that Smith is injured, necessitating a different style of play.

grandad

He still came back into our half on Tuesday looking for the ball. There is no need for him to be there. Twice I saw him even getting the ball from Ream & Burn just infront of our pen area. I want him right on the shoulder of the oppos last defender.
Where there's a will there's a wife

General

Quote from: mikestrand on August 27, 2015, 12:24:29 PM
The slowest dropping penny finally hits the ground.

Exactly. It's a no brainer. Just goes to show that Kit's management style is even been questioned by the players.

Why have one of the best strikers in the league who can score 20 goals a season not playing in a position where he can clearly create the greatest value. Madness.

Ordar

So we're going to play the best striker in the league.... As a striker.

Excellent

YoungsBitter

Quote from: Ordar on August 27, 2015, 05:37:21 PM
So we're going to play the best striker in the league.... As a striker.

Excellent
HaHa...yes but as someone else said maybe we need to give Kit the article
Quark, strangeness and charm

hovewhite

Hopefully kjt has recognised what we all knew for ages.