watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

new bids!

Started by steve magnets, August 28, 2015, 11:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve magnets

Stearman / mancienne. Are we 'playing' the transfer version of poker, we've apprantley made bids for both for both players , so playing one of against the other. I.e. first come first to a bigger wage packet.

westcliff white

If true we have bids in then I would think we want both
Every day is a Fulham day

Lighthouse

Well we seem to have OCD. We needed midfielders so we went out and bought lots of good ones who could all play in the same position. Now we are after players who can sort of play in defence and in a defensive midfield so we are in for at least three of them.

Wonder if we will have time to go for lots of wingers and forwards.

Still whoever we get we know it will be looked on as panic buys.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: steve magnets on August 28, 2015, 11:56:44 AM
Stearman / mancienne. Are we 'playing' the transfer version of poker, we've apprantley made bids for both for both players , so playing one of against the other. I.e. first come first to a bigger wage packet.

i wouldn't give the club that much credit - you don't honestly think we have a strategy do you?

Ron91

Pass on Stearman do not really rate him personally. Mancienne would be an okay signing, provides good cover.

westcliff white

Mancienne is first choice at forest (left back right now I believe) so cant see him coming in as cover, that's if we are in for him
Every day is a Fulham day

steve magnets

It's a little like casting the net!. Although mancienne , I feel would be a good fit

bill taylors apprentice

I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking we make numerous offers below the the limit of what other clubs and players think is acceptable and edge forward from there.

That's fine up to a point and probably what a lot of clubs do, the trouble with is, other clubs use the tactic to gauge the mood while we fail to budge much and lose out.

Nothing wrong with being careful but the perception given buy the club in its dealings is damming and gives the impression to all that we not serious.

Andy S

Why should things be wrapped up by now? It would be only if we were willing to dig deep in to our pockets and pay a lot over the odds for players. Easy to say when it doesn't come out of your pocket I think!

alfie

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 28, 2015, 02:15:55 PM
Yes it is easy to say, but my pockets are not tied  up with barbed wire, and full of moths either. I would agree with you if the club was prepared to pay what a player is worth, but they don't even want to pay that, let alone over the odds, their valuation of players is another chink in an already dented armour.
I disagree with you, we shouldn't be rummaging around trying to finalise up to three deals at this stage, maybe one, but three, not unless they are almost complete, we will know by the deadline, but leaving this late may mean we will have to pay over the odds anyway, if the club wants the player, which kills your argument dead.
Sorry Mr Woolly i get so fed up with we should do this,that or the other, they may well have done all 3 for all we know, but the selling club set a price so why should we have to automatically agree with it and pay up, even if i wanted something i would not pay over what i think it is worth, so why should a football club, that's why they negotiate, some get done quickly others don't, because they know we want a certain type of player.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

alfie

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 28, 2015, 03:42:26 PM
Quote from: alfie on August 28, 2015, 03:16:05 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 28, 2015, 02:15:55 PM
Yes it is easy to say, but my pockets are not tied  up with barbed wire, and full of moths either. I would agree with you if the club was prepared to pay what a player is worth, but they don't even want to pay that, let alone over the odds, their valuation of players is another chink in an already dented armour.
I disagree with you, we shouldn't be rummaging around trying to finalise up to three deals at this stage, maybe one, but three, not unless they are almost complete, we will know by the deadline, but leaving this late may mean we will have to pay over the odds anyway, if the club wants the player, which kills your argument dead.
Sorry Mr Woolly i get so fed up with we should do this,that or the other, they may well have done all 3 for all we know, but the selling club set a price so why should we have to automatically agree with it and pay up, even if i wanted something i would not pay over what i think it is worth, so why should a football club, that's why they negotiate, some get done quickly others don't, because they know we want a certain type of player.

I agree with you Alfie, I do not want the club to necessarily pay over the odds, especially with our budget, but occasionally depending how much the club wants the target, sometimes they have to bite the bullet, rather that go away empty handed, it's often a case of how much a club is prepared to
Pay, rather than a players value.
Nevertheless, we do need reinforcements, and if they are forthcoming, let's hope any new players will strengthen the team in the positions we are thin on.
Also if the club is as ambitious as they indicate, it will be most interesting to measure ourselves against last seasons record, the season is still young, I just wish I was.
I agree with you as well, it was just me as I said being a little bit fed up with all.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

There's two ways of looking at this.

1/. You go into a retail shop and the price is fixed at say $20.  You have no option.

2/. You go to a market or a Moroccan bazaar in the Kasbah (they take any currency) and you ask them a price.   
They say $20, you say $5, normally a price is settled on, and you take home the bag made from camels fore**in which by the way if you rub hard enough will turn into a suitcase.

I prefer number 2 in my life, but of course it's not always an option.

Fulham seem to be doing something similar although the initial offers don't seem to be derisory,
and there aren't many Arabs or Market Traders in football admin, are there ?  (except Hot Harry)

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

YoungsBitter

With Husband coming in I think we can assume Mancienne is not as high a priority unless he hates playing left back is desperate to come in and partner Dan Burn....
I share everyone's frustration that whether truly for FFP reasons or just being ridiculously penny pinching this transfer period has been mind-numbing. It started so well with good business early so we could get people in and settled before the season really kicked in. However we have done nothing but dick around for the last 2 months with Stearman, Dunk, Tarkowski and Gayle. We may have saved 4-6 weeks wages but really? now its running round panic buying and if its finally one of the earlier targets but at the orginal asking price I think we would have all preferred us to pay up earlier rather than later.
The only silver lining is that so far Moussa and Hindeman have not left....
Quark, strangeness and charm

BedsFFC

Quote from: YoungsBitter on August 28, 2015, 05:30:26 PM
With Husband coming in I think we can assume Mancienne is not as high a priority unless he hates playing left back is desperate to come in and partner Dan Burn....
I share everyone's frustration that whether truly for FFP reasons or just being ridiculously penny pinching this transfer period has been mind-numbing. It started so well with good business early so we could get people in and settled before the season really kicked in. However we have done nothing but dick around for the last 2 months with Stearman, Dunk, Tarkowski and Gayle. We may have saved 4-6 weeks wages but really? now its running round panic buying and if its finally one of the earlier targets but at the orginal asking price I think we would have all preferred us to pay up earlier rather than later.
That's just a cheap shot at the club. We hardly dicked around with Dunk. The dicking was very much on the other....foot. He was never leaving for us. Tarkowski is an ever present in their team and with their new CB injured, its a no go.
We are not the only option for these players and lets face it, at the moment we look more like getting relegated than entering a promotion challenge.
At the moment, we can complete financially but players on the lookout to move will be very much waiting to the last minute to see the best option. Let's face it, if you're the agent, you would?
We can be as aggressive as we want but sadly, we don't hold all the aces.

steve magnets

'liars are buyers, but buyer's are liars?. I.e. if they say they don't want to buy they usually end up doing just that! Ect ect. Welcome to the world of street mkt trader's!

YoungsBitter

Quote from: BedsFFC on August 28, 2015, 05:47:15 PM
That's just a cheap shot at the club. We hardly dicked around with Dunk. The dicking was very much on the other....foot. He was never leaving for us. Tarkowski is an ever present in their team and with their new CB injured, its a no go.
We are not the only option for these players and lets face it, at the moment we look more like getting relegated than entering a promotion challenge.
At the moment, we can complete financially but players on the lookout to move will be very much waiting to the last minute to see the best option. Let's face it, if you're the agent, you would?
Its not a cheap shot rather a comment on our approach. What else would you call offering £1.5M for a player his club values at £5M then going back twice more in £500k and £1m increments? It maybe that Khan doesnt trust McIntosh since Mitroglou and McCormack and is concerned we will over pay. We are a big club committed to return to the Prem, we are in London (and the nice part at that), we have a billionaire owner and generally perceived as a nice club to be at, atmosphere wise. I think we have a lot going for us even if, as you say, we dont hold all the aces we do have a lot of attraction.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: YoungsBitter on August 28, 2015, 06:12:35 PM
Quote from: BedsFFC on August 28, 2015, 05:47:15 PM
Its not a cheap shot rather a comment on our approach. What else would you call offering £1.5M for a player his club values at £5M then going back twice more in £500k and £1m increments? It maybe that Khan doesnt trust McIntosh since Mitroglou and McCormack and is concerned we will over pay. We are a big club committed to return to the Prem, we are in London (and the nice part at that), we have a billionaire owner and generally perceived as a nice club to be at, atmosphere wise. I think we have a lot going for us even if, as you say, we dont hold all the aces we do have a lot of attraction.

Maybe the club felt he was only worth £3million or so TO US.  Buying and selling clubs often have different valuations of a player, if Brighton thought he was worth double what we valued him at then we were right not to meet their valuation.  The important thing is that there is a back up plan in place - something that we shall ind out in the next few days.

MJG

Yet more comments about just throw money at everyone.
Everything has a value to a buyer and a seller, if neither part can agree then no deal is done.
I always felt Dunk was never worth 5m and maybe only 4m at a push. So for the club to take so long to get to that offer made sense to me, they were reluctant to do that.  I have had discussion on here where people said sod it we need a cb pay 6m. Really? Is that anyway to run a club?

Sent from my Lenovo A5500-F using Tapatalk

YoungsBitter

Quote from: MJG on August 28, 2015, 08:15:00 PM
Everything has a value to a buyer and a seller, if neither part can agree then no deal is done.
I always felt Dunk was never worth 5m and maybe only 4m at a push. So for the club to take so long to get to that offer made sense to me, they were reluctant to do that.  I have had discussion on here where people said sod it we need a cb pay 6m. Really? Is that anyway to run a club?

The point was not throw money around it was more a question of being realistic. Why spend a month of wasting time going back with small incremental bids that get nowhere near the selling club's valuation? If we dont think he is worth more than X then say so. What we said was - and I know this is a dramatic oversimplification - we dont think he is worth a penny more than £1.5M, they said we dont think he is worth a penny less than £5M. Two weeks later we go back and say "we dont think he is worth a penny more than £2M", they said "we still dont think he is worth a penny less than £5M". Why not move on and use the time for negotiating on back up number 2 or 3 or 4 then have them for 4 more weeks rather than arrive the weekend of transfer deadline.
My issue was not about wasting money, it was about wasting time.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: YoungsBitter on August 28, 2015, 08:31:28 PM
Quote from: MJG on August 28, 2015, 08:15:00 PM
I always felt Dunk was never worth 5m and maybe only 4m at a push. So for the club to take so long to get to that offer made sense to me, they were reluctant to do that.  I have had discussion on here where people said sod it we need a cb pay 6m. Really? Is that anyway to run a club?

The point was not throw money around it was more a question of being realistic. Why spend a month of wasting time going back with small incremental bids that get nowhere near the selling club's valuation? If we dont think he is worth more than X then say so. What we said was - and I know this is a dramatic oversimplification - we dont think he is worth a penny more than £1.5M, they said we dont think he is worth a penny less than £5M. Two weeks later we go back and say "we dont think he is worth a penny more than £2M", they said "we still dont think he is worth a penny less than £5M". Why not move on and use the time for negotiating on back up number 2 or 3 or 4 then have them for 4 more weeks rather than arrive the weekend of transfer deadline.
My issue was not about wasting money, it was about wasting time.

There's no rule that prohibits a club from working on multiple transfers at one position at the same time. Dunk seemed to be a preference, so we waited as long as we could on it, and it didn't happen. C'est la vie.