more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (29/08/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 29, 2015, 07:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Rotherham United Factfile

Fulham will be looking to get their first three points on the board as they travel to the New York Stadium on Saturday to take on basement side Rotherham United.

The opposition

The Millers started the season as one of the favourites for relegation with the bookies and the Yorkshire side have not started the campaign on the right foot.

Steve Evans' men were embarrassed on the opening day by newly promoted MK Dons, losing 4-1 on their home patch, before a 2-1 defeat at Nottingham Forest followed.

Their only point to date came in a 0-0 draw with Preston North End at the New York, as they lost 4-2 to Queens Park Rangers last time out in the league, a result that leaves them bottom of the table.

Rotherham lost star man Ben Pringle to the Whites over the summer, but have brought in plenty of Sky Bet Championship experience, with the likes of Danny Collins, Greg Halford and Joe Mattock joining their ranks.

Team news

Kirk Broadfoot is still completing his 10-match ban for verbal abuse. Richard Smallwood and Mattock are expected to be fit after picking up knocks at the weekend, but the game will likely come too soon for Lee Frecklington who suffered a dead leg in the midweek defeat by Norwich City in the Capital One Cup.

Tickets

Tickets are available on the gate to Fulham fans, priced at £25 for Adults, £15 for fans aged 60+ and students, £9 for 13-17 year olds and £7 for those aged 12 and under.

Weather

It is expected to be dry throughout Saturday, with occasional sunshine and cloud cover. Temperatures should be around 19 degrees come kick-off.

How to get there

The nearest train station is Rotherham Central, which is just a five minute walk from the ground. Trains run from King's Cross and St Pancras, with a change needed at Sheffield or Doncaster.

Pre-match

There are numerous pubs in the town centre, a few minutes walk from the ground. There are three Wetherspoon pubs including the Bluecoat and the Rhinoceros, which is nearer to the station. These venues have a mixed feel to them whilst the Bridge Inn has more of an away fan ambiance, located just minutes from the station.

Coral match odds

Rotherham United: 6/4

Draw: 11/5

Fulham: 19/10

Previous meeting

The pair locked horns towards the back end of last season as Ross McCormack hit his 16th goal of the season to salvage a point for Fulham in a 1-1 draw at the Cottage. The visitors stunned the home fans when they went in front in the fourth minute, Matt Derbyshire prodding home from close range after the Whites had failed to clear a corner.  Thankfully we were much-improved in the second period and drew level in the 67th minute when McCormack slotted home a Scott Parker pass to notch in his fourth consecutive game.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/august/28/rotherham-united-factfile?

WhiteJC

Ben Pringle misses the good times of 2013/14
The 2013-14 season will be remembered by a lot of people for a long time if you have a Rotherham United connection.

The way the team played over the course of the League One campaign, with a high-tempo, attacking attitude, flanked by an insatiable desire to fight for everything until the very last minute made them a pleasure to watch.

It also led to an unlikely promotion challenge which ended in the most glorious of days imaginable at Wembley – a fitting culmination to a wonderful season.

It's been less than 18 months since that sun-drenched day at the national stadium, which had the veins coursing with adrenalin and euphoria, but the Millers have rarely had that hit since.

And fans are not the only ones longing for days like that again as the players involved reminisce fondly, none more so than Ben Pringle.

The midfielder, who left for Fulham this summer after turning down a new contract, will return to the New York on Saturday with his new club and admits to missing the good times he enjoyed in South Yorkshire.

"I definitely want them to do well, I always look back at the times I had there fondly," he said.
"In a strange way I actually quite miss it to be fair, the lads that we had in that dressing room and the things that we did.

"The main core of the players that were there all the way through to the Championship, it was very special and I will always look back on it very, very fondly.

"Some of the matches we played were absolutely unforgettable. After Saturday I would like to see them to do well and stay up."

Only three players remain from the squad that won promotion to the Championship in 2013-14 and that has been a bug-bear of Pringle's.

Everyone other than Adam Collin, Richie Smallwood and Lee Frecklington have moved on and Pringle is a firm believer that the club should have capitalised on that rare and unique spirit in the camp.

"I still fully believe that was a very good strong side and I think more should have been done by the club to keep that together because it is very rare to find that in football – a team that was so together," he added.

"We just clicked, going into training every day and I thought it's going to be like that everywhere but it's only when you leave you look back and think that was something good, so more should have been done to keep that together.
"Everyone has gone their separate ways and that was from the club."

Naturally after moving on after four years, the Millers were the first name he picked out of Fulham's fixture list, but no one could have imagined a return to his former stomping ground so soon.

He's looking forward to coming back to New York, and hopes to get a good reception.

"When I figured out where I was going to be, that was the first thing that I looked for, when we were going to be playing Rotherham both home and away," he said.

"In the first month to go back is pretty good. There's not many of the boys left, I will be looking to slapping Warney's bald head as well.

"I don't really know what sort of reception I will get, I'd like to think it would be a good one.

"With the success we have had over the last three years and what we achieved as a team, not just me, but the rest of the other boys if they ever go back, I would expect them to get a good reception just because of what we did together and brought to the club."

Pringle's return to New York is just a sub-plot in a game that has already taken on extra significance given both team's winless start to the campaign.

"Both teams need it, Rotherham have had a tough start as you can see in the first month," Pringle added. "We have had some unexpected tough games against teams you wouldn't necessarily think are going to be up there this season, but due to their early-season form they have got every reason to be up there, Brighton especially.

"With Saturday coming up and both teams waiting to get off the mark I think it will be a good game."

http://www.itsmillerstime.co.uk/2015/08/ben-pringle-misses-good-times-of-201314.html?

WhiteJC

Charlton Game Televised

Fulham's game against Charlton Athletic at The Valley in October has been selected for live television coverage on Sky Sports.

This means that the match will now take place on Sunday 4th October (12pm), having originally been scheduled for the Saturday.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/august/28/charlton-game-televised?

WhiteJC

Fulham and Rotherham United in search of first Sky Bet Championship wins

Fulham and Rotherham United clash on Saturday with both teams still in search of their first league win of the season in the Sky Bet Championship.
Fulham's campaign has begun inauspiciously, with draws against Cardiff City and Huddersfield Town interspersed with defeats to Brighton & Hove Albion and Hull City.

The good news for Cottagers supporters is that their form in the Capital One Cup has been much better – they have made into Round 3 by beating Wycombe Wanderers 1-0 and, more recently, Sheffield United 3-0.

For Rotherham fans there has been no such solace, with the Millers being knocked out of the cup competition during Round 2 midweek after beating Sky Bet League 2 outfit Cambridge United in Round 1.

In the Championship, Steve Evans' side have failed to get going. An opening day 4-1 defeat to Milton Keynes Dons rather set the tone, with a solitary point all they have been able to claim so far, thanks to a 0-0 stalemate with Preston North End.

Head to head

Fulham have historically had the edge in the fixture, having claimed 18 wins compared to Rotherham's 12 during the previous 44 meetings between the sides.

Not since 1992 have Rotherham been able to triumph against the Cottagers, with Fulham unbeaten in the last five matches the pair have competed.

Last term, both matches between Fulham and Rotherham ended as draws. At the AESSEAL New York Stadium, there was great drama as Dan Burn's 90th minute header for the visitors secured a point, while the game at Craven Cottage finished 1-1 with Matt Derbyshire and Ross McCormack scoring for their respective sides.

The return of Ben Pringle

Ben Pringle moved to Fulham from Rotherham over the summer, and he is likely to be key for Kit Symons' men on Saturday.

Rotherham know all about Pringle's quality, having had him in their ranks for four years, and they will be keeping a keen eye on him during the match.

So far the 26-year-old midfielder has played in all but one of Fulham's competitive matches since his switch, but he is yet to open his goalscoring account for his new club.

Will Rotherham or Fulham claim their first three points of the season on Saturday? Follow @SkyBetChamp on Twitter for regular updates.

Read more at http://www.football-league.co.uk/news/article/2015/fulham-and-rotherham-in-search-of-first-league-wins-2653140.aspx#RC51BU2olfqJIh1J.99

WhiteJC

Rotherham trio missing for Fulham clash

Rotherham are sweating on the fitness of Joe Mattock, Lee Frecklington and Richie Smallwood for the visit of Fulham.

Mattock has a foot injury, Smallwood is struggling with a hamstring problem while Frecklington suffered a dead leg in midweek and all three are doubtful.

Boss Steve Evans has a decision to make about his goalkeeper, with Adam Collin tipped to keep his place in front of Kelle Roos following an impressive showing in his first appearance since March in midweek.

Farrend Rawson (groin) is still not quite ready while Kirk Broadfoot has four games left of his suspension as the Millers chase their first three-pointer of the campaign.

Fulham will check on recent signing Sakari Matilla and defender Shaun Hutchinson.

Both players sustained knocks last Saturday and missed the Capital One Cup win against Sheffield United in midweek.

Jamie O'Hara was given the evening off as the Cottagers progressed to round three but the midfielder is expected to be back in the squad for the trip to South Yorkshire.

Fulham this week signed Cardiff goalkeeper Joe Lewis on loan until the end of the season and, after providing back-up on the bench on Tuesday night, he will be among the substitutes once more.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/english-league-championship/match/422899/rotherham-united-fulham/preview?

WhiteJC

Bakary Koné close to Fulham move

Lyon central defender Bakary Koné is closing in on a €2m move to Championship side Fulham, according to L'Équipe.

Koné was told that he was surplus to requirements by Lyon earlier during the transfer window.

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2015/bakary-kone-close-to-fulham-move/?

WhiteJC

Pringle leaves lasting Millers memory
There have been few better sights over the last few seasons than Ben Pringle picking up the ball on the left and whipping in a wicked delivery into the box.

Over the three years that the 25-year-old was a regular in the side his deliveries caused mayhem for the opposition and led to a glut of goals for the Millers.

It was a sight, so pleasing on the eye, that epitomised a golden era for the club where attack and exciting football was the name of the game.

But there was so much more to his game than his magic left foot.

He possessed a real work ethic and desire, with his constant harrying and chasing just as an important part of his armour.

His will to win and do well was highlighted by the little hissy-fits he would have if someone did not pass to him when he was open or if a team-mate did not make the correct run at a set-piece.

But that won't be seen at New York Stadium anymore – on a regular basis at least – after the club confirmed the former Derby man has opted against penning a new contract, instead choosing to seek pastures new.

That decision, made due to a perceived lack of desire shown by the club to keep him, represented a sad day for the club and its supporters who developed a real love for Pringle.

And it was deserved as his performances over the two promotion seasons were at such a high standard, particularly in the 2013/14 League One where he was simply sensational.

His 13 assists in that campaign, with many more goals coming from his key passes, earned him a place in the PFA Team of the Year and his eye-catching bleached blonde hair and inviting crosses made him a stand-out player in the Millers' ranks.

He delivered on the big occasions too, none more so than in the second leg of the play-off semi-final against Preston where he created two of the Millers' three goals and rattled the crossbar with a fine volley.

The Newcastle-born winger found life tougher in the Championship this season, but still was a key presence in the side which stayed up.

His delivery proved lethal as ever and although he sometimes struggled with the physicality and pace of the division and enjoyed less time on the ball, he still finished as the top assist-maker and saw off competition from several other players for his shirt.

Boss Steve Evans has always been overt with his praise for Pringle, regularly bigging him up in the press and reminding everyone that Pringle's treatment under former boss Andy Scott.

Evans once said of his Alice-band-wearing star: "I have never hid my admiration for Ben. Now he is an established, quality Championship player.

"When I arrived he was in the cupboard and how you could put a player like that in the cupboard I don't know.
"The players say I love him and they're right I do love him. I'm in love with Ben Pringle.

"I am not knocking Andy Scott because of his management of Ben but he is the sort of lad who can deliver magic.

"Now he is an established, quality Championship player."

Despite the love-in in the media there was always an under-current of feeling that the relationship between the two might have been so rosy behind closed doors.

And, although the club offered him a fresh deal and wanted him to stay at New York after some consistent late-season performances, the fact they accepted an offer for him from Millwall in January, believed to be just over £100,000, proved in Pringle's mind that the writing might have been on the wall and his future lays elsewhere.

If they were prepared to let him leave in January – to a potential relegation rival no less – how loose will the purse strings have been when it came to offering him a new contract this summer?

Pringle was also put out by the delay in offering him a deal, insisting that the club promised they would reward the players who won them promotion immediately after Wembley, something that never happened.

Regardless of his suitability as a Championship player or likeliness to be in the team next season, Pringle's exit – and that of Craig Morgan – is certainly sad on a sentimental level as it continues the breaking up of the 13/14 side that many Millers fans class among their favourite ever.

Just 12 months on from that goosebump-inducing day at Wembley, only Lee Frecklington, Kari Arnason, Adam Collin and Richie Smallwood remain from that team.

Evans may very well bring in a player who ends up offering more than Pringle, but the impact and contribution the Millers' number 18 made should never be forgotten.

http://www.itsmillerstime.co.uk/2015/05/pringle-leaves-lasting-millers-memory.html?

WhiteJC

Building from within

The Swiss Ramble is always a good read, but this profile of Ipswich Town contained an interesting nugget:

To that end, Evans initially provided his managers with enough funding to be competitive in the transfer market, but this did not achieve the desired objective, as the owner explained: "You would have hoped that money had resulted in better things, but look at Nottingham Forest – they lost £25 million last year and got nowhere. Look at Leicester, they spent 25 to 30 million for a couple of years running, I think, and didn't manage to get promoted. So there are a lot of clubs out there that spent a lot more than Ipswich did and who ended up in exactly the same situation."

This led to a change in Evans' strategy, "I wanted to work with a manager who was going to try to and coach and make our players better, rather than give the manager the opportunity (to simply buy players)." The drive to more sensible cost management was also influenced by the introduction of the Financial Fair Play rules, which essentially force clubs to live within their means.

As a result Ipswich have spent virtually nothing on player purchases in the last three seasons, but paradoxically this approach has delivered better results on the pitch, thus defying the conventional wisdom that high spending equates to success. Whether the reliance on free transfers and bringing through young players will continue to work is debatable, but the recent improvement is there for all to see.

https://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2015/08/28/building-from-within/?

WhiteJC

Rotherham v Fulham

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP
Venue: New York Stadium Date: Saturday 29 August Kick-off: 15:00 BST
Coverage: Updates on BBC Radio 5 live and BBC local radio; text commentary on the BBC Sport website

TEAM NEWS

Joe Mattock (foot), Lee Frecklington (dead leg) and Richie Smallwood (hamstring) are doubts for Rotherham.

Boss Steve Evans has to decide whether to keep Adam Collin in goal over Kelle Roos after a good midweek showing.

Fulham give late tests on recent signing Sakari Matilla and defender Shaun Hutchinson, who both have knocks from last weekend.

Jamie O'Hara, missing against Sheffield United in the League Cup in midweek, is expected to return.

MATCH FACTS
Both Championship games between Rotherham and Fulham ended in draws last season. Rotherham led four times over the two meetings.

Ross McCormack scored Fulham's first goal in both meetings with Rotherham last season.

Rotherham have conceded more goals than any other Championship team this season (10). Nine of those 10 goals conceded have arrived in open play.

The Millers have lost three of their last four games in league competition (D1).

Fulham have gone five games without a win in the league (D2 L3), this after going unbeaten in the five beforehand.

Ross McCormack has scored nine goals in his last 13 games for Fulham in all competitions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34024911

WhiteJC

Fulham boss gives injury update on Bettinelli, O'Hara, Hutchinson, Bodurov, Parker and Williams

Whites welcome two back to the squad but lose another ahead of Rotherham clash

Passion: Jamie O'Hara (R)

Jamie O'Hara returns to the Fulham squad to face Rotherham after missing Tuesday's win over Sheffield United with illness.

The former Portsmouth man has been named as the Whites' man of the match in three of the four games he has played this season.

However, defender Nikolay Bodurov is set to miss the game at the New York Stadium after taking a blow to his knee against the Blades.

Manager Kit Symons said: "We're looking pretty good. Jamie O'Hara was ill for the game on Tuesday night.

Major doubt: Nikolay Bodurov

"Niko Bodurov is the only one. He got a whack on his knee in the game on Tuesday which has swollen out so he's unlikely to be available. We're looking pretty good."

Shaun Hutchinson also comes into the squad to travel to Yorkshire after picking up a head injury last weekend against Huddersfield.

Symons explained: "He wasn't allowed to play on Tuesday due to concussion protocols so he couldn't come back into training until Thursday.

"He trained yesterday and trained today so he's no ill effects from that. He's fine. He felt fine soon after it happened (on Saturday). You can't be too careful on things like that."

Marcus Bettinelli will certainly miss the game after damaging knee ligaments and will have an operation on Tuesday that will determine the extent of his absence.

The Fulham boss explained: "He's having an operation on Tuesday. Once they do the operation, they'll know more about the expected return.

Going under the knife: Fulham's Marcus Bettinelli was stretchered off injured after this incident

"It'll depend on what they find when they go in. We'll know more after he's had the operation. It's good to have the date now. It's positive."

Symons added on his replacement Joe Lewis: "He has settled in well and quickly. He's done well for us. We're pleased to get someone as experienced as him."

Scott Parker and George Williams both miss the trip to Rotherham but could be in line to return to the side when the Whites take on Blackburn after the international break.

This way? Scott Parker

"We've arranged a friendly during the international break to get them some game time. We'll start stepping those boys up. They're both coming along nicely," Symons added.

"It's been tough for George after a long time out. He's done really well in his rehab and he's enjoying being back with a football now.

"He's been doing the running and the physical side of it. As soon as you get back on the ball you get a spring in your step.

"He's worked his socks off and done really well. The medical team are delighted with his progression."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-gives-injury-update-9947519?

WhiteJC

Kit: Build On Tuesday

Manager Kit Symons expects more of the same of what Fulham showed against Sheffield United in midweek and reveals a new signing may be involved at Rotherham.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/august/28/manager-video?

WhiteJC

Donnelly Loan Extended

Liam Donnelly's loan spell at Crawley Town has been extended until Saturday 2nd January.

The 19-year-old initially joined the Sky Bet League Two outfit on a one-month loan deal, and has made five appearances to date for the Reds.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/august/28/donnelly-loan-extended?

WhiteJC

BAKARY KONÉ TO JOIN FULHAM ON FOUR-YEAR DEAL

Olympique Lyonnais centre-back Bakary Koné is closing in on a move to English Championship outfit Fulham, L'Equipe revealed on Friday.

Deemed surplus to requirements at Stade de Gerland, the 27-year-old Burkina Faso international is set to land at Craven Cottage for €2 million on a four-year contract.

Koné, who has been linked with Cardiff and Newcastle United this summer, scored 6 goals in 83 appearances for Lyon since joining the'Gones' from En Avant Guingamp for €3.8 million in August 2011.

The defender made his international debut in 2006, earning 53 caps for the Stallions with whom he competed at the 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2015 editions of the Africa Cup of Nations.

He was included in the 24-player squad that will face Botswana in Lobatse on 5 September, in Burkina's second Group D outing of the 2017 AFCON qualifiers.

http://africanfootball.com//news/563391/Bakary-Kon-to-join-Fulham-on-four-year-deal?

WhiteJC

Husband Joins On Loan

The Club is delighted to announce that James Husband has re-joined Fulham on a one-month loan deal from Middlesbrough.

Fernando Amorebieta has gone the other way as part of the deal, and will remain at the Riverside Stadium for the duration of the 2015/16 season.

Husband initially joined the Whites on loan in March and the left-back impressed in his five appearances for the Club, with Fulham remaining unbeaten in four of those.

The 21-year-old came through the Doncaster Rovers academy, making 73 appearances for the club prior to joining Boro in the summer of 2014.

He will wear the number 40 shirt during his time at Fulham.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/august/28/husband-joins-on-loan?

WhiteJC

Fernando Amorebieta Returns To Boro As James Husband Joins Fulham

Duo make reverse journeys in double loan deal...
Fulham defender Fernando Amorebieta has returned to Middlesbrough as part of a double loan agreement that will see James Husband make the journey to Craven Cottage.

The duo both undertook similar moves during the latter stages of last season with Amorebieta making 5 appearances for Boro, scoring in the Play-Off semi-final first leg win at Brentford.

The 30-year-old Venezuelan international is a player who was known to Aitor Karanka before joining the club last season, the pairing having been together at Athletic Bilbao, and Amoerbieta can play anywhere across the back four.

Husband has made 12 appearances for Boro since joining the club from Doncaster in the summer of 2014 and he featured in this season's Capital One Cup victory at Oldham earlier this month.

Husband has joined Fulham for a month while Amorebieta has joined Boro for the season.

Read more at http://www.mfc.co.uk/news/article/2014/boro-fernando-amorebieta-james-husband-2653223.aspx#GM4hbFPp6pu3gtBH.99

WhiteJC

Kit's Rotherham Preview

Kit Symons knows his Fulham side will need to put a real shift in against Rotherham United, but is backing them to come away with the three points if they do.

The Millers have struggled so far this season and have taken just one point from their opening four matches, but Symons believes that counts for little going into Saturday's meeting.

"You know that they're absolutely going to work their socks off," he said. "They'll be organised and incredibly hard working, so we know for starters we're going to have to match that.

"You always know you're in a battle, in a fight, and if you're not up for it then you can easily get turned over. So we'll make sure we match them for that.

"It's always nice to go into the international break on a high – Rotherham will be saying the same and all teams will be saying the same.

"There's only one team that can actually win it but we're going to approach the game with a very positive frame of mind and we're very confident we can go and get the result."

The Whites go into the fixture at the New York Stadium on the back of securing a late point against Huddersfield Town and comfortably defeating Sheffield United in the Capital One Cup.

And when asked if that 3-0 triumph on Tuesday has raised morale in the camp, Symons replied: "It's been pretty much the same. Spirits have been good anyway.

"We've not had the start, points-wise, that we would have wanted, but overall performances have been okay, we've played some good stuff, created chances.

"It's fine tuning those real fine margins that makes such a huge difference in football. If we defend slightly better, take a few more of our chances, suddenly everything's looking rosy and we're sitting on 10 points instead of two.

"That would be quite feasible, so it's fine margins but, like I said, we need to make sure those fine margins go in our favour rather than go against us like they have done so far."

Symons' pre-match press conference also threw up the inevitable questions regarding new additions to his squad, and he confirmed he expects to bring in some more new faces prior to Tuesday's deadline.

"There's a few that are looking very, very promising," he revealed. "The clubs have been contacted and, as I've said all along, I'm very confident that by the end of the window we'll have more players in."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/august/28/kits-rotherham-preview?

WhiteJC

Husband: Perfect Place

James Husband reveals his delight to return to SW6 on loan and describes Fulham as the 'perfect' place to play his football.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/august/28/husband-perfect-place?

WhiteJC

Fulham Interested in Forest Defender

Kit Symons, perfectly aware that the summer transfer window is set to slam shut next Tuesday evening, continues to search for sensible options to fill the gaps we have in our squad.

Our start to the new 2015 / 2016 campaign hasn`t been what we`d have liked and we`re well aware that we need a win to ease any early season pressure.

Today Nottingham Post are suggesting that Fulham are interested in the Nottingham Forest defender, Michael Mancienne.

The inference being that Fulham are looking to bring the 27-year-old defender, to Craven Cottage for a fee in the region of £1.5 million.

Mancienne may be a name that Fulham supporters are well aware of, as a youngster he played for Chelsea making appearances for England at every level apart from full. The versatile defender has also spent time, on loan, at our neighbours Queens Park Rangers.

Now whether Nottingham Forest can be tempted to sell, for the price quoted, remains to be seen!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=411409#ixzz3kBYm0mIg

WhiteJC

Championship side Fulham submit new bid for Wolverhampton Wanderers defender

Fulham have made a fresh bid for Wolverhampton Wanderers defender Richard Stearman as Kit Symons strives to improve his team's defensive abilities, HITC reports.

The defender has been a long-term target for the London side and they are ready to step up their attempts to capture his services before the transfer window shuts.

Wolves rejected an initial bid for Stearman's services back in June and they are likely to stand firm when facing new bids for their versatile centre-half.

However, the Fulham manager is currently trying to overhaul his defensive set-up as the 2015/16 Sky Bet Championship season moves into full-swing.

Defensive frailties hindered Fulham last season, meaning that the club are striving to improve their defense in an attempt to push for the play-offs this time out.

It has been a frustrating transfer window for Kit Symons and Fulham thus far, as the club have failed to capture some of their long-term targets.

But now, the Fulham boss is setting out to try and sign the Wolves defender with an attempt to lure Stearman away from Molineux and towards Craven Cottage.

In the final year of his contract at Wolverhampton Wanderers, Stearman is yet to agree a new deal which ultimately leaves the door open for Fulham to sign him – It's easier said than done, but there is ample opportunity for Symons to wrap up the deal sooner rather than later.

Whether Stearman is attracted to the prospect of playing at Craven Cottage this season remains to be seen, but it is now clear that the defender is a prime transfer target for Fulham.

After missing out on Brighton centre-back Lewis Dunk, an experience mind in Richard Stearman could be the right move for Symons as he looks for valuable additions to his squad.

Read more at http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/championship-side-fulham-submit-new-bid-for-wolverhampton-wanderers-defender/?#spJ1GJIvgXUUsprJ.99

WhiteJC

Brentford rule out selling £5million rated Fulham target

Tarkowski not going anywhere this transfer window, dealing blow to Bees' rivals

Not leaving: James Tarkowski

Marinus Dijkhuizen has ruled out selling defender James Tarkowski, amid interest from west London rivals Fulham.

The Whites had been linked with a £5million bid for the Brentford centre back but, after Andreas Bjelland's injury, the Dutchman is reluctant to lose his preferred partner for vice-captain Harlee Dean.

It would also represent another key member of last season's squad following Andre Gray, Stuart Dallas, Moses Odubajo and Jonathan Douglas out of the exit door.

He said: "We can't afford to sell him; there's no question of us letting him leave. We have four centre backs and we need four so we can't afford to sell one."

Tarkowski is currently playing in a protective mask after breaking his nose at Bristol City two weeks ago.

He came through the game against Burnley and it will have time to heal further during the international break after today's game with Reading.

Dijkhuizen added: "He had no problem with the mask so I don't expect problems for Saturday. He has two weeks more after."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/brentford-rule-out-selling-5million-9943723?