watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Khan's new Wembley deal may benefit Fulham

Started by Nick Bateman, September 02, 2015, 04:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

The latest news that owner of NFL Jaguars is lining up a deal which will allow them to play "American Rugby" at least once a year at Wembley Stadium until the year 2030 may benefit Fulham in the long term.

Unlike Mohamed Al Fayed, a legend at our club, Shahid Khan is not taking on the establishment as his predecessor did, but funding them and one is sure the custodians of our national stadium will embrace the additional colateral.

This may work as a spin-off for Fulham, to be linked, however tenuously, to the centre of English football.  Fulham have no natural 'enemies', Chelsea are rivals, Gillingham to a point, but no reason why officials may wish to treat our club unfairly on the pitch.  Yet I have detected hostility particularly in the PL but any links with the FA may improve Fulham's outlook.

Full story is here http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/Jaguars-Owner-Shad-Khan-seeks-long-term-London-deal/cd80200e-4902-45fd-a1af-b6555b4e7d4b

Finally one memorable statement made by our former chairman Mo upon his retirement from Fulham.

"I am sad but proud of our achievements," said Al Fayed. "I am very grateful to Fulham's fans, the most incredible fans in the world. They have given me their support and affection whenever they have seen me at home games.  I would never let them down."
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

bill taylors apprentice

Your right we do/did get the "wrong end of the stick" too often.

But as for your theory on changing it..........

Oh! if only it was that easy.

grandad

"I am sad but proud of our achievements," said Al Fayed. "I am very grateful to Fulham's fans, the most incredible fans in the world. They have given me their support and affection whenever they have seen me at home games. I would never let them down."

Oh yeah, he did just that after the Europa Cup Final
Where there's a will there's a wife

Nick Bateman

He was saying that when handing the club over to Shahid Khan.  Al Fayed was let down by various British governments who refused to give him a UK passport despite everything he had done for this country (one sees better treatment to illegal migrants than what Fayed received).  It forced him to travel in from abroad to watch his beloved club which eventually wore him down - but only in the final season.

But the rest of the words he said (above) are the greatest words anyone has said about Fulham fans.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Woolly Mammoth

What on earth is American Rugby or do you mean Rigsby
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

snarks

I think he means american football, but it's not at wembley, the nfl signed a 10 year deal with tottenham for the new white hart lane

HatterDon

Quote from: snarks on September 02, 2015, 07:56:56 PM
I think he means american football, but it's not at wembley, the nfl signed a 10 year deal with tottenham for the new white hart lane

Could you please cite a source for this?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Vienna1

American football can be fun to watch I once watched san Diego v Kansas City. in California. But rugby seems to be slightly better for me, let alone football (soccer), which is the best sport for me!

snarks

Quote from: HatterDon on September 02, 2015, 09:15:06 PM

It was on NFL.com news on 7th July this year and in all the uk papers on the 8 July, I can't seem to add links somehow, I'm a bit of an IT numpty.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: grandad on September 02, 2015, 06:32:59 PM
"I am sad but proud of our achievements," said Al Fayed. "I am very grateful to Fulham's fans, the most incredible fans in the world. They have given me their support and affection whenever they have seen me at home games. I would never let them down."

Oh yeah, he did just that after the Europa Cup Final

That's complete Rubbish!
You should know better!

fulhamdk

If you google nfl tottenham,you will find some articles

Forever Fulham

Wasn't MAF tweaking the noses of the government at every opportunity?  No wonder he didn't get his citizenship.  Didn't he allege some Crown conspiracy in the death of his son, Dodi?  Weren't there allegations of a gun-running past?  An old Congressman from Texas once famously said, "To get along, you have to go along."  Make nice.  Don't antagonize.  And that wasn't MAF's strong suit.  Khan, on the other hand, never sticks his neck out with an offending or upsetting comment.  Owners, like children, should be seen but not heard.  Let the camera pan into the stands to show him smiling and encouraging from his seat, seeming accessible and pleasant as all get out.  Nothing to see here, folks.  Move along.

HatterDon

Quote from: snarks on September 02, 2015, 09:19:31 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on September 02, 2015, 09:15:06 PM

It was on NFL.com news on 7th July this year and in all the uk papers on the 8 July, I can't seem to add links somehow, I'm a bit of an IT numpty.
Thanks!!

I found an article on line, thanks to your direction. Here's an excerpt:

QuoteThe National Football League will host at least two games annually for 10 years from 2018 in the future home of English soccer's Tottenham Hotspur.
The agreement with the Premier League club known as Spurs doesn't prevent the NFL from staging regular-season games in other London stadiums, and the league said it is optimistic that it will also extend its contract with Wembley Stadium, where it has played 11 games since 2007.
"With growing enthusiasm for the NFL in the United Kingdom, we are committed to hosting NFL games in world-class venues and are excited to partner with Tottenham Hotspur," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement.
Tottenham's new 61,000-seat stadium in north London is set to open in 2018, prior to the start of the NFL season. It will feature a retractable grass field over artificial turf, meaning the NFL could keep its own playing surface at the venue.
The NFL has two years remaining on its contract with Wembley, home of the English national soccer team. The NFL has played there every season since 2007, including three times last year, and has another three games scheduled for 2015.

Evidently, whatever happens with one venue won't affect other English venues.

What surprised me about your post was "the new White Hart Lane." I thought the only new ground in the Prem in London was going to be West Ham's. I guess I'm just not paying as much attention to the Prem as I once did.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel