Main Menu

International Action

Started by Apprentice to the Maestro, September 03, 2015, 02:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apprentice to the Maestro

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/september/03/international-whites

International Whites
Thursday 3 September 2015 11:30
We take a look at which Fulham players could feature for their respective teams over the international period.

Jazz Richards and Wales could book their spot at next summer's European Championship during the upcoming international period.

Chris Coleman's men have a fixture against Cyprus in Nicosia on Thursday, before hosting Israel in Cardiff on Sunday, and they know six points would guarantee their place in France next year.

Cauley Woodrow and Emerson Hyndman are set to go head-to-head on the international stage when England Under-21s face the United States Under-23s at Preston North End's Deepdale on Thursday evening.

For the Three Lions the game is a warm-up for the more serious business that follows, when their qualifying campaign for the 2017 European Championship in Poland gets under way. Gareth Southgate's boys kick off against current Group 9 leaders Norway in Drammen on Monday.

For the Americans, Thursday's encounter is the first of two friendly matches they have scheduled on British soil, as they face Qatar five days later at Bury's Gigg Lane.

Nikolay Bodurov is in competitive action on Thursday as Bulgaria take on Norway in Sofia in a European Championship Qualifier. It's an important period for the Bulgarians as they currently sit fourth in Group H, although there is only six points separating the top-four.

They then travel to Palermo where they'll meet second-placed Italy on Sunday.

Sakari Mattila and Jesse Joronen's Finland also have Qualifying matches to look forward to, as they're pitted against Greece in Athens on Friday, and the Faroe Islands at home in Helsinki on Monday.

Finland have a real job on to qualify for the Finals in France next year, as they currently sit second-bottom in Group F, with just four points from their opening six matches. The Fulham duo could come up against out-on-loan Kostas Mitroglou this week, after the striker was named in the Greece squad.

Tim Ream is the final Fulham player named in a senior international squad, and he's travelled to his home nation for two friendly matches.

First the United States play Peru in Washington on Friday, before moving to Boston to take on Brazil next Tuesday.

Lasse Vigen Christensen is in the Denmark Under-21 party as they prepare for a couple of away friendly encounters.

Germany provide the first opposition in Lübeck on Thursday, while attentions will then turn to a trip to Kiev to face Ukraine on Tuesday.

Jordan Evans' Wales Under-21 side have one competitive fixture ahead in the current international period, as they make the trip to Luxembourg for a Euro Qualifier on Friday where they'll be looking to continue their 100 per cent record in Group 5.

Liam Donnelly is also in competitive action, as Northern Ireland's qualifying campaign gets started with matches against Scotland at home on Saturday and Iceland away on Tuesday.

Like Hyndman's national side, Sean Kavanagh's Republic of Ireland Under-21s have a friendly match against Qatar at Gigg Lane on Friday, which they'll be using as preparation for their qualifier away to Andorra on Tuesday.

Marek Rodák is the other man to potentially have some Under-21 game time, as Slovakia's Group 8 campaign begins against Belarus in Slutsk on Sunday.

Cameron Burgess and Adam Taggart are part of the Australia Under-22 squad who have two away European friendlies. They face Turkey in Istanbul on Friday, before travelling to Skopje where Macedonia await three days later.

We have one player involved at Under-20 level, with Moussa Dembélé named in the France squad for their friendly match against the Netherlands in Lisse on Monday.

In the Under-19 age groups, Aron Davies could feature in Wales' friendly at home to Poland on Saturday, while Anthony Dolan and Shane Elworthy are in the Republic of Ireland group for a similar game away to Italy on Monday, and Mattias Kait's Estonia have two matches in three days against Belarus in Minsk.

Tayo Edun is in the England Under-17 fold as they have back-to-back friendlies away to the Netherlands, while Luca de la Torre will be competing in the Limoges Tournament for the United States U17s.

In addition, Harrison Paton has an event with Canada's Under-18s, and Mikolaj Kwietniewski has a training camp with Poland Under-17s.

cmg

Mitroglou starts for Greece. Joronen and Mattila on Finnish bench.

HT at Bury - Ireland u21 2  Qatar 0  Unremarkable, except that Liam Donnelly has both goals!

In noticing that scoreline I also noticed in passing that Irish fans have selected their 'dream team' -Given, Irwin, Dunne, McGrath, Staunton, Houghton, Keane, Brady, Duff, Quinn, Keane. Nice to see two Fulham men included. (No Giles? No Lawrensen? Too far in the past?)

FPT

I think you have the wrong player and subsequently the wrong Ireland CMG!

It's Sean Kavanagh who has scored twice for the Republic of Ireland. Played the first half - team changed for the second so he's no longer on the pitch. Sounds like his first was like his goal against Norwich, and his second a trademark free kick.

That Ireland side, no Steve Finnan?

cmg

Quote from: FPT on September 04, 2015, 07:31:36 PM
I think you have the wrong player and subsequently the wrong Ireland CMG!

It's Sean Kavanagh who has scored twice for the Republic of Ireland. Played the first half - team changed for the second so he's no longer on the pitch. Sounds like his first was like his goal against Norwich, and his second a trademark free kick.

Aaaagh - what a wally! Thanks. Dunno what excuse I can make. It's a simple reading job! Both excellent Irish names, but Liam's from the North.

cmg

Greece 0 Finland 1      Mattila gets the last 10 mins.

copthornemike

Also some notable ex-FFC players around tonight.
Welldone to the Northern Ireland team who if they beat Hungary next week will qualify and who featured Chris Baird and also the evergree Aaron Hughes (albeit on the bench).

cmg

BarryP

Tim Ream played the full 90+ minutes at left back in the US 2-1 win over Peru and looked very good the entire match at the defensive end. He doesn't offer much going forward but he was a real bright spot defensively. From a Fulham perspective he got some much needed fitness.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

MisfitKid

Quote from: BarryP on September 05, 2015, 02:41:31 AM
Tim Ream played the full 90+ minutes at left back in the US 2-1 win over Peru and looked very good the entire match at the defensive end. He doesn't offer much going forward but he was a real bright spot defensively. From a Fulham perspective he got some much needed fitness.

Barry- Completely agree, just watched the whole match and kept a specific eye on Ream.  He looked solid and very calm on the ball.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Forever Fulham

Quote from: MisfitKid on September 05, 2015, 04:04:11 AM
Quote from: BarryP on September 05, 2015, 02:41:31 AM

Barry- Completely agree, just watched the whole match and kept a specific eye on Ream.  He looked solid and very calm on the ball.
Couldn't agree more.  He was so calm on the ball.  Nice control, evasion, and some very nice passing.  He rarely passed back to the keeper.  He found forward moving outlets.  I only saw him dispossessed once. He looked very polished and comfortable.  When Peru took corners, he stationed himself in front of everyone, ready for the line drive or the short delivery.  Maybe a nod by the coaches to his lack of height.  He's not fast.  He's not slow.  He's quick in five yard bursts.  Just very impressed with his performance in the win against Peru.  Quiet and efficient. 

grandad

England: Hart, Clyne, Shaw, Shelvey, Stones, Jagielka, Milner, Barkley, Vardy, Rooney, Oxlade-Chamberlain

Not one player I would class as world class.Pretty poor show if we can select Shelvey, Vardy & Milner as being the best that the country can select.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Slaphead in Qatar

wonder if shrek breaks charltons record today.

grandad

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on September 05, 2015, 05:35:41 PM

He will at some time but he will never win a World Cup winners medal.
Where there's a will there's a wife

HatterDon

Quote from: grandad on September 05, 2015, 05:38:55 PM
Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on September 05, 2015, 05:35:41 PM

He will at some time but he will never win a World Cup winners medal.

That's surely not his fault.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

bill taylors apprentice

Watching England play generally just winds me up!

Jonaldiniho 88

Nice finish by Kane, and Walcott as I type

Fulham1959

Quote from: grandad on September 05, 2015, 04:51:20 PM
England: Hart, Clyne, Shaw, Shelvey, Stones, Jagielka, Milner, Barkley, Vardy, Rooney, Oxlade-Chamberlain

Not one player I would class as world class.Pretty poor show if we can select Shelvey, Vardy & Milner as being the best that the country can select.

Shelvey has looked very impressive this season.

Jonaldiniho 88

Shelvey is class. Looks like a thug. Plays like a thespian.