Main Menu

Jimmy Greaves

Started by f321ffc, September 04, 2015, 10:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

f321ffc

Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

grandad

I accept that Spurs have been funding his care from their ex players Trust but I would have thought they could come up with the shortfall to get to the £30k required.
Where there's a will there's a wife

ron

Quote from: f321ffc on September 04, 2015, 10:13:19 AM
With the obscene amounts of money sloshing around football these days how does it come to this for one of the true greats of the game.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3222077/Jimmy-Greaves-one-football-s-genuine-greats-story-not-forgotten-just-five-days-left-appeal-help-care-Tottenham-legend.html

...as a footnote, I see that our own Maestro had a secret career with Spurs according to that piece by the Daily Mail, mistaking an England get together with Greavsie and Maurice Norman for a Tottenham one.......

...but it was in the Mail, so surely it's right.... :49:

RaySmith

I remember stories of Bobby Moore taking his regular seat in the stand at West Ham, and then being kicked out because he didn't have a ticket. Also, when reporting on games for a local radio station, he was reduced to selling tracksuits out of the boot of his car.

I have heard similar stories about Chelsea's attitude to some of its ex-star players.

At least Fulham looks after its own.

Before the Prem top players didn't become millionaires playing football, and often didn't make much at all -surely money can be found to help someone like Greavesie in his hour of need, by the game he gave so much to.

HamsterWheel

Not sure why people should have to pay £60 an hour for a physio for him. NHS not good enough for him ? The NHS physios did wonders for me when I mashed my elbow, the sadistic geniuses.

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: RaySmith on September 04, 2015, 10:44:51 AM
I remember stories of Bobby Moore taking his regular seat in the stand at West Ham, and then being kicked out because he didn't have a ticket. Also, when reporting on games for a local radio station, he was reduced to selling tracksuits out of the boot of his car.

I have heard similar stories about Chelsea's attitude to some of its ex-star players.

Before the Prem top players didn't become millionaires playing football, and often didn't make much at all -surely money can be found to help someone like Greavesie in his hour of need, by the game he gave so much to.

but greavsie had a very lucrative tv career after he retired.  where did all that money go?

grandad

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on September 05, 2015, 05:08:27 PM

but greavsie had a very lucrative tv career after he retired.  where did all that money go?

Sadly he became an alcoholic. A terrible illness.

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: grandad on September 05, 2015, 05:21:48 PM

yes but the alcholism came first, he beat that, then he had the tv career.

grandad

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on September 05, 2015, 05:28:40 PM

I remember an interview he gave where he said he will be an alcoholic till the day he dies.He said that every day he says to himself "Today I will not have a drink" You can´t beat it, only control it.

MJG

Lucrative at the time and then it all dried up. I suspect he continued to live at the level he was being paid and when the money stopsit soon disappears as a person maintains that lifestyle.

St Eve

Regardless of what happened Spurs should have a testimonial for him to raise some money

HatterDon

In most cases, the answer is that he hired someone to "manage his investments" and got swindled out of every farthing. That's what happens over here to athletes, musicians, and actors.

Loved Greavsie ... along with Gerd Mueller, he was the best pure goal scorer I've ever seen.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

bog

When they talk of goalscorers Jimmy was the best for me. Effortless when putting the ball in the net. He and Johnny Haynes in the same side were lethal. Never be another one. :Haynes The Maestro:

Hatter Don I used to love to watch that Gerd Muller. The biggest thighs I ever saw on a footballer. I read once that he was illiterate. When he stopped playing the drink took over. His club gave him a job to save his very life.

092.gif       

cmg

Yep. Greaves was the best English goalscorer I ever saw. I mentioned his England scoring record, 44 in 57, in the Rooney thread.
Mueller made him look goal-shy! He scored 68 in 62 for Germany (no, I haven't got it round the wrong way). I'd have backed him to beat anybody over five yards and he was impossible to knock off the ball.

ron

Quote from: HatterDon on September 05, 2015, 06:32:02 PM

In most cases, the answer is that he hired someone to "manage his investments" and got swindled out of every farthing. That's what happens over here to athletes, musicians, and actors.

Loved Greavsie ... along with Gerd Mueller, he was the best pure goal scorer I've ever seen.

I heard the cynical definition of stockbrokers and financial advisers as "People who take your savings and invest them until they are all gone...."

St Eve

bog

I will never forget Jimmy being interviewed at half time v Andorra in a qualifying match. He grinned broadly suggesting he could have scored against 'this lot!'.

092.gif