watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

are Fulham FC a 'Massive Club'?

Started by you lucky people, September 07, 2015, 09:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FPT

I think it's pretty much been covered, but it does depend on the context with us. In the Championship, Championship players should see us as a big club - we've had longevity at the top (the majority of Tom Cairney's life, we've been a Premier League side). We've had success in Europe, the only English side to get into the final of the rebranded Europa League (I won't count Chelsea, the Champions League drop out rule is so stupid). I don't know the statistics, but I'm sure our owner is the richest majority owner in the division - plus being a London side gives us a point or two above most clubs.

As for fan support, we're not, but then we're one of many clubs in London rather a town of one or few clubs where they have more of a catchment area. Take Newcastle for example, it's pretty much them and Sunderland (arguably Boro too) having the North East to themselves. I think you'd be surprised though by our overseas support (which understandably would have dipped with relegation a tad), but look at just the official supporters clubs:

FFC Sweden, FulhamUSA, The Fulham Exiles - USA, Dutch Fulham Members Club, Fulham Members Club Norway, FFC Australasian Whites - Oz and New Zealand, FFC Italian Cottagers, FFC Tampere Finland, FFC Denmark, Fulham FC Germany, Fulham NYC, Chicago Cottagers and Fulham Texas.

I would like to see figures for support abroad and money made from overseas - for things like merchandise and tickets and compare it through England - I think we'd have a more than respectable position. To me, it seems logical to think "I support this football club, I can't turn up on a weekly basis, so how can I contribute? I'll buy a shirt, or a mug etc." I'll try not to go off on a tangent about marketing and merchandise.

I think for what we are, we do bloody alright. We can do more, but I always feel that. We're not massive if you're talking about England, but in our own little group/catchment/place in the country, I think we are. If you take everything into discussion, we've got to be at least top 30 if not for our Premier League longevity alone, I think only 8 teams were in the Premier League longer than us at point of relegation, and the top teams live in their own bubble in the discussion.

To finally round up, once the stadium is expanded and we're back to where we belong. I think the growth will accelerate quickly - we can invest in quality players, we can attract more people to the Cottage and we can market ourselves strongly abroad - which Shahid Khan will be keen to do, and I'm sure we'll have the right people around us making it happen.

Vinnieffc

Quote from: Twig on September 08, 2015, 02:21:15 PM
No we are not and thank heavens for that.  I am proud to support a decent mid sized club and not a "brand".

Well said Twigster. When I first came to England I supported Arsenal due to the Irish contingent of O'Leary, Brady and Stapleton and went to Highbury regularly. But I felt like just a number and not part of a club like I do now. My cousins introduced me to Fulham nearly 40 years ago and I'm still in love. Love the club, the people on here, the whole shebang. Support the club, not a brand.

Holders

Compared to Rotherham, with our history we are bigger. To someone who knew us in the 60s, or who is so young that they can only think of us in the context of the last 13 years then we are one of the biggest, if not the biggest, in "The Championship" at the moment but Div 2, by whatever name it's known at the time,  is where we historically sit most comfortably and that's about right.

It could have been so different if we hadn't turned down Stamford Bridge all those years ago or if Abramovitch hadn't bought Them. There was a short period when we had Fayed and before the Russian when it looked as if, for once, we might have the ascendancy for a while but that was short-lived.

What I can't rationalise is Mr Bullard calling Hull bigger than us.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria