watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

are Fulham FC a 'Massive Club'?

Started by you lucky people, September 07, 2015, 09:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

you lucky people

I do wish Players and Fans would not refer to Fulham FC as a 'massive' Club, the likes of  Real Madrid, Manchester United and Bayern Munich are massive, Fulham are a small Club, a good little Club, by any measurement a proper Club but massive? never were and never will be, and all the better for it.
'Remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean, cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.'

dannyboi-ffc

I suppose it depends who you are and where you are coming from. To someone like Pringle stepping up from Rotherham I suppose we are a big step up. In recent history not many have achieved what we have. But no if we are comparing in general then fulham are a medium sized club suited for the championship.

I don't think the players meant we are a Man Utd.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

General

I think you have to take these things into context of the player who's saying them based on where they've come from.

Fulham have been until recently and for over a decade a premiership team, competing amongst the best teams in the country and at times the world, and in getting to the Europa league final and having top players play for us, like the Berbatov's, or even having the England manager manage us makes us a bigger club than most in the country.

On our day in the premiership we could beat a most and always expected to beat teams in lower leagues.

That makes us a big club.

Especially if you've only played championship football for 3 or 4 years or even professional football for that long.

Woolly Mammoth

No not a massive club in comparison.
But it's our club.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Ordar

I would say in the context of the Championship, given our recent history, we are a massive club

Ged

We are the biggest team in Fulham
Err hold on a minute

f321ffc

Quote from: Ged on September 08, 2015, 08:15:41 AM
Err hold on a minute
Maybe not but Fulham are the best football club in Fulham , London, England , Europe The World, The universe and they are our club. COYW
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Ged

Quote from: f321ffc on September 08, 2015, 08:25:28 AM
Err hold on a minute
Maybe not but Fulham are the best football club in Fulham , London, England , Europe The World, The universe and they are our club. COYW

Totally agree
Who wants to be massive and end up like chelsea god no

bog

To me Fulham will always be massive...no, in fact, gargantuan.

092.gif

Fulham1959

Equally, new players often refer to our 'fantastic history', or words to that effect.

I have loved this club for 56 years but, in terms of real success and trophies won, we do not have a fantastic history.  It's more of a 'romantic history', maybe, with abiding friendly and feel-good factors mixed-in.

Rupert

I think it is more a problem with individual players' limited vocabulary, than anything else. As others have said, calling us a bigger club than they have come from would be more accurate (though detrimental to the team and fans they have just left behind), and certainly saying we have a romantic/interesting/unique history would be a better turn of phrase.
Blame the education system.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Blanco

Quote from: Ged on September 08, 2015, 08:30:22 AM
Quote from: f321ffc on September 08, 2015, 08:25:28 AM
Err hold on a minute

Totally agree
Who wants to be massive and end up like chelsea god no

Heaven forbid we actually win some trophies!

RaySmith

No, we are not 'massive' -though it's all comparative as posters have said - but we are Fulham.

Andy S

Massive is an over used word in the English vocabulary. For some reason we are led to believe big is best! If you look at some things that are big, they are rarely good. Ie I work for a small charity where 100% of what we raise goes to supporting the charity. Other charities spend a lot on promotion and even pay wages etc so the money raised does not all go to the charity. It all becomes blurred. Back to football and we all love to see a small club triumph over a big club. So I think we all prefer small

win-dup

No. The only massive club in west London are Chelsea.

Our only hope of becoming like them is if Ernie Khan flogs us to an Uzbekhistan billionaire with a hatred of all things Russian and Abramovitch in particular. 

Artful Dodger

It's all about context and new players need to say something positive in their first interview. How would it sound if a player came out with.. "it's always been my ambition to play at a small club who probably don't have much history and should really be scraping around in League 1 and I really hope I can help them go back there!"
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

KiwiWhite

Of course Fulham might not be massive but they are pretty dam big here in Auckland. When my wife, 3 kids and I go out on a weekend we wear our latest FFC Shirts and if ever we are asked, whose shirt is that? we puff out our chests' and proudly tell them WE ARE FULHAM! and guess what? Most respond with a smile and a "good on yer! Do we want to be a club everyone hates? of course we want them to get back to the Prem. But please don't stop being, "OUR LOVERLY FULHAM !!!!!!!

:wine: 078.gif 082.gif 067.gif :yay: :group hug:

Aaron

I suppose it depends on how you define massive..  Actually, it doesn't really.. We're not.

We're not a massive club.  I dare say we're not even a "big" club in terms of how I'd choose to define that term although I'd say we were in that ball park during Roy's tenure.

We're currently well outside the top 20 clubs in England in terms of current footballing form.
We've never won anything of any significance.
We're tied 42nd with about 20 other teams on the list of FA Cup final appearances.
We're about 10th in the list of average attendance in the Championship.

None of this is inherently bad though, it's just how it is.  To try an argue we're a massive club in the grand scheme of things is ridiculous.  The Europa Final might have brought us to the attention of a lot of the rest of the world for a season but I suspect this is likely to be remembered in the same way that everyone recalls the Wimbledon FA Cup win in 1988 as much as anything else.

If I wanted to support a massive club I'd follow Manchester City or something.

nose

Massive Club?
Too be honest i wouldn't worry about it.
We are what we are and be proud of that. We are the best situated with the finests set of supporters, the team do not always match the crowd's quality but I hope they will improve.

Twig

No we are not and thank heavens for that.  I am proud to support a decent mid sized club and not a "brand".