more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham Related - James Bond

Started by The Equalizer, September 08, 2015, 10:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Equalizer

I'm in a quandary.

I'm a huge fan of James Bond films and am incredibly excited about the upcoming 'Spectre' film. I really want this film to have a cracking Bond theme, something along the lines of the great 'A View To A Kill' Duran Duran song, or even the recent Chris Cornell 'You Know My Name'.

I'm not a huge fan of Sam Smith. I can't actually bring myself to listen to his cat-strangling tones and vapid lyrics, all recorded through an autotuner. No imagination, talent, musical ability and he looks like the opera singer from the Go Compare adverts, sans 'tache.

But.

Sam Smith is a Fulham supporter who grew up on the Lewis Trust estate in Fulham. My dad was friends with his grandad years ago. We share a similar heritage in growing up in a wonderful part of London (well, it used to be at least).

My quandary: Sam Smith has been chosen to sing the James Bond theme. I'm not going to abide listening to it and the 4 minute intro sequence will be painful to my musically refined aural sensibilities.

But I'm also bloody chuffed that a Fulham supporter is singing the James Bond theme! That makes one Bond girl (Honor Blackman), one tenuously linked Bond (Pierce Brosnan lived on Vera Rd and went to Elliot), and now the Shirley Bassey part being filled by Fulham supporters over the years. Quite an achievement.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Lighthouse

Be proud, but in the knowledge that the themes have gone down in quality. Loved the earlier themes that set an atmosphere and mood. OHMSS had no vocal theme song and was close to being amongst the best themes.

So well done Mr Smith and I hope the song is great. But the recent ones have been instantly forgettable.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

snarks

A view to a kill???

Not even in the top 5 of Bond Themes IMHO

I didn't like Adele's song when I first heard it but do now, so I'll actually wait to see what he does with it before judging. I've been lucky in that I seem to be able to avoid most modern stuff, or at least not distinguish it enough to think about it.

The Equalizer

Quote from: snarks on September 08, 2015, 11:12:27 AM
A view to a kill???

Not even in the top 5 of Bond Themes IMHO

I didn't like Adele's song when I first heard it but do now, so I'll actually wait to see what he does with it before judging. I've been lucky in that I seem to be able to avoid most modern stuff, or at least not distinguish it enough to think about it.

You're clearly not a Duran Duran fan. Seeing them play an 11 minute version live at Lovebox 2009, with Mark Ronson assisting on guitar, was quite special.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Slaphead in Qatar

I am also looking forward to spectre.

but I am not convinced by daniel - hope its his last film.

theme tunes old and new have usually been good. my favourite is an old one - diamonds are forever by shirley - a proper singer with a proper voice - not like these charlatan mime merchants these days.

The Equalizer

I think every Bond fan should listen to David Arnold's excellent album 'Shaken and Stirred'. Lots of the classic themes and supporting music (like Moonraker's 'Space March') covered by acts like Pulp, Propellerheads, LTJ Bukem and Amy Mann. David McAlmont's version of 'Diamonds Are Forever' is quite superb.

MJG

Quote from: The Equalizer on September 08, 2015, 11:28:57 AM
I think every Bond fan should listen to David Arnold's excellent album 'Shaken and Stirred'. Lots of the classic themes and supporting music (like Moonraker's 'Space March') covered by acts like Pulp, Propellerheads, LTJ Bukem and Amy Mann. David McAlmont's version of 'Diamonds Are Forever' is quite superb.
Saw David Arnold in concert a couple of months ago and did a great James Bond set.

westcliff white

Agree with Snarks View to a kill not one of the best bond themes for me.

Agree with Slaphead as well hope it is Daniel Craigs last film as bond, but fear his contract has one more to go.

Rumour is the song will be a ballad type of song, I do prefer a good upbeat song (which View to a kill is but just not one of my favourites).
Every day is a Fulham day

Logicalman

There have been so many great ones over the years, Goldfinger, You only Live Twice, Diamonds are forever, Skyfall and The Spy Who Loved Me, to name a just a very few, nothing really beats the first and original imo, though Live and Let Die comes very close second.

"No, No, No" I hear you shout, and I reply, "You're correct"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ebAssCr990
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Logicalman

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on September 08, 2015, 11:24:32 AM

theme tunes old and new have usually been good. my favourite is an old one - diamonds are forever by shirley - a proper singer with a proper voice - not like these charlatan mime merchants these days.

I tend to like Daniel in the role, he's more of a throwback to Connery when he first appeared, unlike the suave, and very presentable Moore that is. He has that arrogance about him that gives him that depth.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

MJG

Quote from: Logicalman on September 08, 2015, 12:12:19 PM

I tend to like Daniel in the role, he's more of a throwback to Connery when he first appeared, unlike the suave, and very presentable Moore that is. He has that arrogance about him that gives him that depth.
Looking ahead I'd go with Tom Hardy, who's more like Connery.

westcliff white

i read somewhere today that Beckham s being linked with the role, did make me laugh I also checked to make sure it wasn't the first of April.

I can see where your coming from with Tom Hardy MJG.

cmg

Sam Smith? Dunno about the singing, but his beer's OK.
They should have gone for Matt Smith for the full Fulham experience. Matty's got a bit of time on his hands just now, too.

Quote from: MJG on September 08, 2015, 12:27:07 PM

Might be a bit difficult to put over, now, after his recent (apparently rather brilliant) depiction of both Ron and Reg Kray!

The Equalizer

A very good call. Just see him as 'Eames' in Inception. He was superb in that, as he is in most things as it goes.

Local lad too. Brought up in Sheen.

The Equalizer

Quote from: The Equalizer on September 08, 2015, 12:56:35 PM

A very good call. Just see him as 'Eames' in Inception. He was superb in that, as he is in most things as it goes.

Local lad too. Brought up in Sheen.

Scrub that. Although he was born in Hammersmith, he, and his family actually support the HaHas.

Riversider

Spectre is released on Monday 26th October, yesterday I managed to get 6 tickets to see it on the first Saturday (31st October) at The BFI IMAX at the 9.30pm showing,
It was meant to be a surprise for the family, the trouble with surprises is that you don't get to check with people first, it turns out that my daughter and her partner may not be in town that that day,
So I may have two extra tickets, my daughter will hopefully confirm with me today whether or not she can make it,
If there is anybody interested in two tickets to see Spectre at The IMAX on the 31st Oct, please leave your name below , tickets are £25 each,
If you are going to watch this film then the IMAX experience is the only way to go.

nose

Honor Blackman, Pussy Galore in Goldfinger used to sit a couple of rows in front of me..... another bond connection

westcliff white

Quote from: cmg on September 08, 2015, 12:38:13 PM
Sam Smith? Dunno about the singing, but his beer's OK.
They should have gone for Matt Smith for the full Fulham experience. Matty's got a bit of time on his hands just now, too.

Might be a bit difficult to put over, now, after his recent (apparently rather brilliant) depiction of both Ron and Reg Kray!
I don't know they hadn't Daniel Craig seen a junkie in one of his films?

cmg

Quote from: westcliff white on September 08, 2015, 01:41:11 PM
Quote from: cmg on September 08, 2015, 12:38:13 PM

I don't know they hadn't Daniel Craig seen a junkie in one of his films?

Thinking about it, he played a drug pusher in 'Layer Cake'. But he was a rather posh, smooth, big-time sort of drug pusher. Good film. Craig was good too, but turned over (his character in the film and acting wise) by Michael Gambon.

He also played a gangster (Paul Newman's rather wimpy son of a gangster) in 'Road To Perdition'. He was good in that, too. But again up against a couple of heavyweights (Newman, Hanks).

Holders

I heard that the new Bond Girl is going to be Scottish and called Devo Max.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria