https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (11/09/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 11, 2015, 07:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder dreams of taking on Thomas Muller & Co

Tom Cairney hoping to make the grade at full international level with Scotland

Fulham new boy Tom Cairney watched Scotland's European Championship qualifier with Germany this week dreaming of soon joining them at Hampden Park.

The Scots took on the world champions and Group D leaders on Monday night but the quality of the likes of Thomas Muller, Mario Gotze and Manuel Neuer shone through to secure a 3-2 triumph.

Cairney, who has a Scottish father and an English mother, has already featured for the Tartan Army at U21s level but is looking to make the step up before too long.

Scotland resume their qualifying campaign next month in a crunch clash with nearest rivals Poland and Cairney is hoping to impress Gordon Strachan with his performances for the Whites.

He said: "I want to play at the highest level and you don't get any higher than international level.

"They were up against it playing the world champions. To play against those kind of players would be incredible."

The first chance for Cairney to make his mark arrives on Sunday lunchtime when Blackburn Rovers, who he only left in the summer to join Fulham, head to Craven Cottage.

He made more than 80 appearances for the Ewood Park club before waving goodbye to Lancashire, a move which came as something of a surprise to the playmaker.

He explained: "I'd heard little bits about it towards the end of last season but it was still a little bit of a surprise.

"I suppose the big moves drag out a little bit because you're talking about extortionate amounts of money but mine went through quite quickly."

Fulham go into the game on a high after securing their first victory of the season away at Rotherham before the international break.

Blackburn haven't had the best of starts to the new Champhionship season but kept their first clean sheet last time out.

Cairney added: "It's not been the best start but I don't worry about them [Blackburn] and I think they'll be fine. They've kept Jordan Rhodes, which is massive, and I think they've still got a good back-four.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-midfielder-dreams-taking-thomas-10018855?

WhiteJC

Blackburn Rovers Flashback

Watch the action as late drama decided the game when Rovers visited Craven Cottage back in March 2011.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/september/10/blackburn-flashback?

WhiteJC

FANS' JURY: Are Blackburn Rovers missing Tom Cairney?

KELVIN WILKINS

THE sale of Tom Cairney was a shock and Gary Bowyer seemed to intimate that it was out of his hands. However, I suspect he wasn't too upset by the sale.

As talented as Tom was, Bowyer struggled to find a position for him as he was not combative enough to play in the centre of midfield or direct enough to play out wide, yet he was too talented to sit on the bench.

From a fans' point of view, he's a huge loss as he is one of few players who looks truly comfortable in possession and is enjoyable to watch. Rovers' loss is certainly Fulham's gain.

PAUL YATES

OBVIOUSLY the loss of Tom Cairney was a blow and quite unexpected. Last season, however, he was inconsistent and did not always live up to previous expectations.

Quite why he was sold is still something of a mystery while in-demand Jordan Rhodes remains at the club.

According to reports he seems to have benefited from the move so perhaps there are people at Fulham who are better able to help him fulfil his potential.

Presumably the powers that be feel we have enough midfielders to compensate but do we have the quality?

SAM JONES

IT came as a huge surprise when Cairney was sold in the summer and even more so that it was to another Championship club. After a fantastic 2013-14 season led to the midfielder picking up Rovers' Player of the Year award, I was very optimistic he would continue this fine form into the next campaign.

At first this came to fruition as he picked up where he left off, scoring two wonder goals against Cardiff and Norwich. But his form soon dropped off and he didn't really fit into the 4-4-2 formation Gary Bowyer often deployed, particularly at home.

Therefore a huge profit on the player may seem like good business and help the club move closer towards ending their transfer embargo. However in a transfer window where Rovers have lost other attacking talent such as Rudy Gestede and Josh King, the assists (and inevitably the goals) have certainly dried up since they left.

The creativity and goalscoring ability that Cairney can provide, as seen in his first few games for Fulham, is something Rovers currently lack, especially with the disappointing form of Ben Marshall.

As a result, there is a lot of pressure on Craig Conway to be Rovers' creative force. The Scotsman continues to be a stand out performer in blue and white, making more assists than any other Championship player since he arrived at Ewood Park.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/13711441.FANS__JURY__Are_Blackburn_Rovers_missing_Tom_Cairney_/?ref=mac

WhiteJC

Behind Enemy Lines

Andy Bayes, BBC Radio Lancashire's Sport Reporter, gives us his take on Blackburn Rovers and looks ahead to Sunday's game at Craven Cottage.

The form table doesn't look great for Blackburn – what have you made of their start?

I think they'd have expected a little more in terms of points on the board. The opening day of the season was unfortunate where they lost to a blatant hand ball. They should have beaten Cardiff at home, and could easily have taken something at Brighton. It's clear they are a team in transition from last year.

How big a factor has the transfer embargo been?

A massive factor. Rudy Gestede and Tom Cairney have both been sold in an attempt to bring this embargo to an end, but the club probably have to sell one more player for big money in order for that to happen. To challenge at the right end of the table with that scenario going on is going to be difficult. I don't think the embargo is particularly fair – it was a Football League idea when Rovers were in the Premier League and for clubs coming down these days, it isn't anywhere near the same hit as it has been for them.

How do you think they'll fare this season?

I've no idea. They have to keep key players fit – Jordan Rhodes, Ben Marshall, Craig Conway, Grant Hanley to think of four. I think the first priority with so many teams in the division is to get to 50 points, and go from there. The Championship is impossible to predict. I had Watford and Bournemouth nowhere near my tips for automatic promotion last season!

Which players have impressed you so far?

Fode Koita looks lively. He's mostly been a sub so far and has really brought a spark to the team when he has been introduced. The more match fit he gets, the better he'll become. Grant Hanley has returned from an injury lay off and looks back to his best, and I also think Craig Conway proves most weeks that his ability to cross a ball is as good as anyone in the division.

What style of play does Gary Bowyer like them to adopt?

Typically last season 4-4-2, maybe this season more of a 4-2-3-1, more really on personnel that preference I think. Ben Marshall can play the number 10 role, Nathan Delfouneso can play off the front and wide. The key to it all is finding the right system to get Jordan Rhodes the highest number of goals. He'll be looking to get off the mark for the season on Sunday I'm sure.

Where do you see the key battles being played out?

I think Grant Hanley and Shane Duffy keeping Ross McCormack quiet will be key. Rovers know a lot about Ryan Tunnicliffe and Tom Cairney, both are quality players and I'd certainly be expecting Jason Lowe and Corry Evans to be wary of both of them.

So are those the Fulham players you think Rovers will be particularly wary of?

McCormack is a goalscorer that you can't leave alone for a minute. The two lads at Rovers last season, Cairney and Tunnicliffe, are both missed at Ewood in my opinion. I believe Ben Pringle is a very good set-piece man. I saw him quite a bit playing for Rotherham against Preston North End a couple of seasons ago. Also I saw Jamie O'Hara play for Blackpool a few times last season, and he was excellent for them.

Have you been to Craven Cottage much before?

I've been a fair few times over the years, including last season. I love it. It's unique, it's a good view, I hope it's never redeveloped in a way that it loses that. A lot of football grounds these days are modern, they have everything you need but Craven Cottage has an appeal of its own which I think is great. The cottage pie in the press room is great too!

How do you see Sunday's game going?

Blackburn kept their first clean sheet of the season in the last match, and if they follow it up with another I could see them sneaking a Jordan Rhodes winner just like last season. If Rovers concede first then I'm not sure. They certainly have enough to win the game, but a point away at Fulham isn't really a bad result.

Fans' questions

What sort of reception do you think Tom Cairney will get from the away fans?

Very good. Tom made a really good impression in his two seasons at Ewood. Everyone seemed to like him from his teammates to the media to the fans. I think everyone was sorry to see him go, and quite surprised as well. He'll get a great reception in both fixtures this season.

Do you think the criticism levelled at Gary Bowyer has been harsh?

I think the harshest thing was a national newspaper claiming that he'd been sacked after they lost at Brighton. It's pretty simple really, if your team isn't winning it's the manager's fault. If they are winning, the manager is doing fine. I think Gary Bowyer has one of the toughest jobs in football. It's a great job, don't get me wrong, but dealing with the mess left behind by previous managers and an embargo is tough. He does get stick from time to time, but he's always fronted it up and answered questions put to him by people like me.  He's quite similar to Kit Symons in that he's been at the club a long time in various roles and he cares a lot about the place.

Tickets and hospitality places for Sunday's meeting with Blackburn Rovers are still available for supporters to buy. Follow this link for full information.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/september/10/behind-enemy-lines?

WhiteJC

Cauley: Winning Form

After two goalscoring cameos for Fulham and two England Under-21 victories, Cauley Woodrow is keen to maintain winning form.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/september/10/cauley-winning-form?

WhiteJC

Minute's Applause

There will be a minute's applause prior to kick-off (12pm) on Sunday in memory of Graham Leggat, who passed away at the end of August.

Leggat is the fifth-highest scorer in Fulham's history, averaging almost a goal every other game across his 280 appearances for the Club.

Considered by many as one of the greatest players to have worn the shirt, there will be a detailed tribute to Graham in Sunday's matchday programme.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/september/10/minutes-applause?

WhiteJC

Fulham's Tim Ream not expecting abuse from Blackburn fans, despite Bolton connection

American looking forward to facing off against Rovers, although no longer in a derby

Ready: Tim Ream (right)

Tim Ream believes his Bolton connections won't lead to stick from Blackburn fans when Fulham face them on Sunday.

The American spent three years with the Trotters before trading the Macron Stadium for Craven Cottage in August.

Fulham, rejuvenated after their win at Rotherham on August 29, will be looking to build on that against a Rovers side yet to claim three points this season.

Ream said: "Those were derby games up there (with Bolton). They're a good footballing side and it'll be a difficult game coming out of the break.

"I don't think I'll get stick from their fans. I wasn't the main target even when I was playing up there. I don't think it'll be more than usual."

Helping hand: Fulham's Andy Lonergan celebrates their first goal

Ream admitted that he spoke to goalkeeper Andy Lonergan, who also made the move from Bolton to Fulham this summer, ahead of his own transfer.

He admitted: "I spoke to him. I knew him from Bolton. He and I got on really well. I tapped him up for info. It was pretty much the icing on the cake and the deciding factor."

Like a lot of players to come through the American system, Ream has a university education and a degree in marketing and advertisement.

He revealed: "I have a degree. I graduated university in marketing and advertisement. It's something for me to fall back on.

"I've done a different route than most. It was just something that we had to choose. I chose it after my first year at uni and a lot of the guys on the football team went down that route so it seemed like a good fit."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulhams-tim-ream-not-expecting-9964702?

WhiteJC

Magnus' New Deal

We're pleased to confirm that goalkeeper Magnus Norman has penned a new deal, tying him to Fulham until June 2018.

The 18-year-old has been with the Club since he was nine, and signed his first professional contract a year ago.

He tasted first team football at Farnborough last season, and is currently on a season-long loan at Hayes & Yeading.

Magnus has also sampled international football this calendar year, making his England Under-18s debut against Russia in March.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/september/10/magnus-new-deal?

WhiteJC

Live on Sky Sports: Fulham v Blackburn Rovers

Fulham and Blackburn Rovers will contest the final game of the weekend in the Sky Bet Football League when they go head-to-head on Sunday in front of the Sky Sports cameras.
Rovers make the trip to the capital for the midday kick-off having not won any of their first five games, while the Cottagers have only managed to pick up one victory, which came last time out against Rotherham United.

Their first five

Fulham:

Matchday 1: Cardiff (A) – drew 1-1
Matchday 2: Brighton & Hove Albion (H) – lost 2-1
Matchday 3: Hull City (A) – lost 2-1
Matchday 4: Huddersfield Town (H) – drew 1-1
Matchday 5: Rotherham United (A) – won 3-1

Blackburn:

Matchday 1: Wolves (H) – lost 2-1
Matchday 2: Huddersfield Town (A) – drew 1-1
Matchday 3: Cardiff City (H) – drew 1-1
Matchday 4: Brighton & Hove Albion (A) – lost 1-0
Matchday 5: Bolton Wanderers (H) – drew 0-0

Head-to-head

Blackburn lead the historical head-to-head record against Fulham 37-26, while the pair have shared 24 draws over the years.

Rovers have won the last three meetings, with Fulham's most recent win in this encounter coming at Craven Cottage in March 2011 when they were both Premier League clubs.

Don't miss it!

Tune into Sky Sports to watch the Sky Bet Championship clash at midday on Sunday or follow our divisional Twitter account, @SkyBetChamp, for live updates.

Read more at http://www.football-league.co.uk/news/article/2015/live-on-sky-sports-fulham-v-blackburn-rovers-2679774.aspx#Gm6rybtRmgS0rmc2.99

WhiteJC

Kit: Outlook Is Bright

Fulham Manager Kit Symons is delighted to see his plans begin to come together and insists his new-look Whites squad must now get the results they are capable of.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/september/10/kit-outlook-is-bright?

WhiteJC

Sunday Can`t Come Quick Enough

The two week wait to see Fulham in action again ends this weekend.

The international break has, for many been an irritation, particularly so when Fulham, after a poor start to the season, had fought back with two wins on the bounce.

This Sunday our Championship campaign resumes when Blackburn Rovers visit Craven Cottage in a fixture that kicks off at 12:00 and is covered live by Sky Sports.

Although Fulham have won just one of their first five games, Blackburn have fared worse with the club that once won the Premier League, not having tasted victory in the Championship this season.

The fixture gives Tom Cairney the chance to play against his former club and the midfielder will be hoping to join that growing band of players that score against their former club.

Although the game is live on Sky Sports, here at Vital Fulham we`re hoping that the faithful, even though there will be travel problems courtesy of a strike, turn up in their numbers.

Keep an eye out for our match preview and stat attack features as the fixture draws closer.

COYW`s

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=412936#ixzz3lPWoVZT3

WhiteJC

Ex-Fulham coach will succeed in A-League

Melbourne City's Corey Gameiro is backing Scott Miller to succeed, saying the ex-Fulham coach and rookie A-League boss will unite Newcastle Jets with his drive and passion.

Melbourne City's 22-year-old striker crossed paths with fellow Aussie Miller during their time at Craven Cottage.

Gameiro was a teenager in the youth and reserves set up from 2009, while Miller worked at the London club for almost a decade under some top managers before landing the Jets gig, aged 33, in June this year.

The pair struck up a working friendship based on the Aussie connection.

But Gameiro also saw first-hand the drive and talent in the young coach. And he can see why he got the Jets job and how success can come to the Hunter club under Miller.

"He can be a hard man – when he needs to be – but he's also very approachable, which is what you want as a manager, someone you can have a chat with or call.
"But you'll know when he's serious.

"He's a very passionate and driven man and that's how he'll be with his players. He'll be very, very well organised," Gameiro told www.a-league.com.au.

"His passion and drive is contagious. You thrive off his energy. And when that comes across into his side, they'll be a tough team to beat.

"He's very competitive and he'll want to win. He wants to win in everything he does.

"If he wants something, he'll work as hard as he can to get it."

The Olyroo forward, who's working hard in the gym after an ACL injury lay-off, added: "I've sent him some messages on Twitter since he's been back. And when I saw him the other day I gave him a big hug."

Gameiro made the big jump from South Coast Wolves to Fulham aged just 16.

It was a huge move for a player from Wollongong, an area that doesn't even have a local A-League club.

And being so young and on the other side of the world wasn't easy. So the former Sydney FC forward appreciated having Miller to pep him up occasionally with some Aussie banter at Craven Cottage.

"He was just nice enough to ask me how I was going. Over there, when you're a little fish in a very, very big pond, sometimes all you need is someone to say, 'hey, how are you going?'

"He'd give me a pat on the head or slap and say 'run along little chicken, I'll see you soon!'", says Gameiro, who like Miller had a dream to make it overseas early in his career.

Miller has stated Roy Hodgson was an inspiration behind his coaching career. And Gameiro agreed there was something magical about the now England manager.

"Roy had this aura about him. He was such a leader," said Gameiro. "Everyone knew he was the boss. He had that presence."

Read more at http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/melbourne-city-star-corey-gameiro-backs-scott-miller-to-succeed-as-newcastle-jets-coach/15lmibkx63wbv1oaytqr08f1i9#Ubsb4g1xLP7cEL0L.99

WhiteJC

Simon Garner column: Fulham trip is perfect chance for Blackburn Rovers to pick up first win

THE pressure is growing on Rovers week-by-week as they look for that first win, but Craven Cottage is quite a lucky ground for the club and hopefully they can match last year's result and get a victory.

From what I've seen so far the work-rate is there, the desire is there, everyone is giving 100 per cent but things aren't quite falling into place.

I have no worries at the moment, once that first win comes I think a few will follow, there's no need to panic.

One win will bring confidence to the squad. As a footballer all you want to do is win, when you're on a good run you go on to the pitch expecting to win and do well. But when you're on a bad run you fear making the mistake that will cost the team.

The quality is there, now the transfer window is closed hopefully Jordan Rhodes can settle down and start finding the back of the net again.

He is a striker who can suddenly find a real hot streak of form. If he wants that move at some point he knows he needs to stay in the goals, and I've no doubt that he will do that.

Rovers will be reunited with Tom Cairney this weekend. He is a top player but I think Rovers got good value for him and it was a good deal.

He's difficult to replace, though. That creativity and eye for a pass in midfield is important in a team, it's hard to replace that and that's part of the reason the goals aren't flowing.

When you come up against your old club you tend to either have a blinder or a nightmare, and hopefully for Rovers' sake Tom will have a nightmare in west London on Sunday.

He's difficult to replace because of the FFP restrictions. There's another space for a loan signing now with Modou Barrow going back.

Hopefully Gary will replace him with a bit of pace. He gave the manager another option, pace can stretch the play and push the defence back, it can make a difference.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/13713569.Simon_Garner_column__Fulham_trip_is_perfect_chance_for_Blackburn_Rovers_to_pick_up_first_win/?ref=mac