more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ron Springett RIP

Started by Barrett487, September 13, 2015, 07:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrett487

Ron Springett: England 1966 World Cup squad member dies

Former England goalkeeper Ron Springett, a member of the 1966 World Cup-winning squad, has died at the age of 80 following a short illness.
Springett began his career at QPR in 1953 before joining Sheffield Wednesday in 1958, where he made 384 appearances.
The Londoner won the first of 33 caps the following year and started every game as England reached the quarter-finals of the 1962 World Cup in Chile.
He was back-up to Gordon Banks when England won the tournament in 1966.
Fulham-born Springett was 17 when he signed for QPR and went on to make 147 appearances for the west London club over two spells.
He joined Sheffield Wednesday five years later and was instrumental as the Owls won promotion to the top flight in 1959, earning him a first England cap against Northern Ireland in November of that year.
Springett reached the FA Cup final with Wednesday in 1966, the Owls losing 3-2 to Everton in a memorable contest.
He returned to QPR in 1967 for a second spell in a deal that saw his brother and fellow goalkeeper Peter move in the opposite direction. He retired in 1968.
In 2009, Springett and his fellow non-playing squad members from the 1966 World Cup final were presented with winners' medals in a Downing Street ceremony, following a change in policy by world governing body Fifa.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34238414

065.gif  Rest in peace Ron

bog

Sad news. I remember seeing Ron play for Wednesday. Good 'keeper. RIP. Played a lot of times for England with Johnny Haynes.

I recall he had a younger brother Peter who was also a goalkeeper who also played for Rangers.

Sgt Fulham

cmg

Sad indeed.
As bog says, was the goalkeeper for the Haynes captained team that had that fabulous 1961 season.
Good keeper (not as good as Macedo in my biased opinion)
His younger brother, who unfortunately pre-deceased him, did indeed play for QPR and then took over from Ron at Sheffield Wednesday.

Barrett487

Quote from: bog on September 13, 2015, 07:16:07 PM
Sad news. I remember seeing Ron play for Wednesday. Good 'keeper. RIP. Played a lot of times for England with Johnny Haynes.

I recall he had a younger brother Peter who was also a goalkeeper who also played for Rangers.

Rangers and Wednesday 'swapped' Springetts in 67. quite bizarre really.

grandad

I hope there will be a minutes appreciation next Saturday when we visit Wednesday.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Barrett487

Quote from: grandad on September 13, 2015, 07:46:16 PM
I hope there will be a minutes appreciation next Saturday when we visit Wednesday.

:plus one:

jarv

A big name in the history books of goalkeepers. People of my age, if asked to name 5 England keepers, he would always be there, in fact probably amongst the top 3.

Peabody

Agree he was a good keeper and when the FA decided that Tony Macedo couldn't play for England, Ron become an England regular. That was a time when England had a lot of keepers to choose from.

RIP Ron

LBNo11

...my hero slotting one past him. A great goalie, shame he couldn't make it to the 50 years celebration next year RIP Ron...

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Andy S

RIP Ron Springett Yes I saw him play some great games for QPR on his return from Wednesday

RaySmith

Remember him well as a great, long term England and Wednesday  keeper in the Haynes era.

RIP

Funky Fulham Dave

Ron Springett was just one of the many outstanding English keepers of the 50's and 60's; Gordon Banks, Tony Waiters, Eddie Hopkinson, Alan Hogdkinson, Gordon West, Peter Bonetti and not forgetting our own Tony Macedo.

Saw him play many times and also played against Ron a couple of times when he played for Valley United in the West Fulham League back in the early 1970's.

Although obviously a goalkeeper in his professional days he played as a (very quick and speedy) winger for Valley United who were a Fulham based Sunday League team. Apparently his reluctance to play in goal was because he did not want to have to put up with the inevitable "aggro" that might come from some Sunday morning forwards.

Had it not been for the fact that we already had an up and coming goalie by the name of Tony Macedo, Ron Springett would almost certainly have been signed by Fulham.