watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR RIP Brian Close

Started by Peabody, September 14, 2015, 01:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

From those who saw it, who will ever forget his bruising innings against West Indies

Peabody

I think in one over, he was hit by every ball.

Holders

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 14, 2015, 03:03:40 PM
Quote from: Peabody on September 14, 2015, 02:07:22 PM
I think in one over, he was hit by every ball.

Yes. The sight of the bruises he sustained on his ribs and chest, would make some of these modern namby pamby footballers cry in their Calpol.

Spot on.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Jamie88

I will never understand how he wasn't floored that day!

I'm from a generation where I have grown up wearing a helmet when batting and it never ceases to amaze me when I see footage like that of Brian Close v the West Indies

The mere thought of facing up to the likes of Michael Holding and co. in their prime whilst I stood there with NO protection on my head doesn't bare thinking about!

dgnffc

Quote from: Jamie88 on September 14, 2015, 03:54:54 PM
I will never understand how he wasn't floored that day!

I'm from a generation where I have grown up wearing a helmet when batting and it never ceases to amaze me when I see footage like that of Brian Close v the West Indies

The mere thought of facing up to the likes of Michael Holding and co. in their prime whilst I stood there with NO protection on my head doesn't bare thinking about!

There was protection - it was called a bat!

Anyone else recall Alvin Kallicharran hooking Lillee time after time?

bog

Peabody, I will never forget that either. He never flinched once. I doubt he would have worn a helmet if he played today. What a rock solid stay at the crease he was from a long gone, and much missed  era.  :Haynes The Maestro:

092.gif