News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Can O'Hara and Parker play in the same team?

Started by Horsfield_No9, September 17, 2015, 04:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horsfield_No9

We have to assume from Kit's comments that when Parker is fit he gets a place in the first 11. This then begs the question, where does our player of the season (thus far) O'Hara fit? At current I see him playing where Parker was sat but doing a much better job of it and with a few more years youth on his side.

I personally think O'Hara MUST keep the position he's occupying so well and Parker should be starting on the bench each game and come on as a mature head to steady the ship later in games when needed. Thoughts?
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

Slaphead in Qatar

i just pray parker does not walk straight back into the team when he is fully match fit. we need to look to the future.

leonffc

I'm not saying I want it to happen but yes they can. parker for me was woeful at the beginning of last season where he dithered and pirouetted about and cost us a couple of goals at least. I only stopped begrudging him a place in the team when he was given licence to go forward more and make more of a contribution to the team. And lets not forget, his best days at Charlton and West ham weren't as a holding midfielder, they were as a good old fashioned centre midfielder supporting and linking play and tackling when needs be.
I think he has slowly been labelled as a holding/defensive player because he can tackle. Unfortunately most of the tackles he makes are forced because he has lost possession in the first place with his dithering and pirouetting!

nose

they can play in the same team, they just shouldn't
parker has hardly been inspirational on a consistent basis and o'hara has played well mostly so he would be my first choice

bill taylors apprentice

I think the manager is just being diplomatic, whats he supposed to say, "Until someones injured or has a run of poor games he's got no chance of selection"?

At the moment its a hypothetical question as he's not fit so you get a hypothetical answer.

As for playing in the same team.......   Not a good idea, so he probably will.

St Eve

MJG

They can but I don't want them to.

Sent from my Lenovo A5500-F using Tapatalk

JackyFulham90

I agree with what everyone is saying as Parker is ageing & on the decline but our team was dire last year he will be must more effective with the likes of O'Hara & Cairney in the midfield. Over the season his experience will be key although I think he will do well to get in with O'Hara & Tunnicliffe playing so well

colinwhite

Parker is still parker ,but he will be  a different force with these players around him. We can start  WITH Parker ,Ohara and Tunnicliffe if we set up 451 , a bit more defensive in certain games ,or stages of games that we  want to see out .

FulhamStu

Parker was carrying an injury last season.  I am no Parker fan but he may be much better if fully fit.  Its a long season and who knows what will happen injury and suspention wise.  I expect he will get game time before xmas however in what starting 11 I have no idea.

love4ffc

I'm going to disagree.  I think Parker can start with O'Hara.  Especially in games in which we need to play more of a defensive style.  Yes he is aging and probably should not be planned on for 90 minutes.  Still think he has something to offer. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

valdeingruo

To answer the question directly, yes they can play in the same side. However, as the intent was should they, to me the answer isn't simple.

Should Parker be allowed to walk back into the team? No, he shouldn't, as unfortunate as injuries are, a player should understand that they have to earn their spot back. Whether or not that is stepping up after another player is injured or he performs well in training.

If its down to a less than fit Parker attempting to get match fitness versus a fully fit Hyndman, LVC or any of our younger midfielders getting a shot, we have to look towards our future, that is the harsh reality of football. If footballers never aged, imagine the side we would have.

The two in question were only together 1 year at Spuds and O'Hara was injured for the first half of the season, joining Wolves on loan the second half of the season. So unless I am mistaken, they have never played in the same side competitively.

I think tactics should dictate whether or not they should play in the same side. As stated above he should be used more defensively. I think had he been substituted on (hypothetically being fit) against Blackburn, his experience would have calmed the side down and absorbed a bit of the pressure better.

Personal prefence would be that O'Hara starts with one of our younger players.

It is a long season and I hope all of our players get a chance in the side, they all offer something different.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

Horsfield_No9

My main problem with Parker last season was how he seemed to sap any pace out of attacks. He'd get the ball, do his pirouette and look for a sideways or backwards safe pass. While completing many passes he just wasn't moving the ball forward like O'Hara has been doing so well.

I think he is the only player for Kit who doesn't have to prove his worth for a starting place. If fit he WILL start. Just hope it's not at the cost of Jamie.

MJG

Parker at times looks like he has the football equivalent of the yips.

Parker has the ball in the middle of the pitch...a player on the wing in space...Parker is taking the ball with him...pass pass the crowd shout...Parker looks to pass...but no he takes it on another few yards...the moment has gone and both the player on the wing and Parker get crowded out.

Thats how i see it anyway.

Horsfield_No9

Quote from: MJG on September 18, 2015, 11:17:41 AM
Parker at times looks like he has the football equivalent of the yips.

Parker has the ball in the middle of the pitch...a player on the wing in space...Parker is taking the ball with him...pass pass the crowd shout...Parker looks to pass...but no he takes it on another few yards...the moment has gone and both the player on the wing and Parker get crowded out.

Thats how i see it anyway.
Exactly this. You put it better than me. He just saps pace and ergency, the moment is gone.

colinwhite

To me its quite simple. Offensively he offers little. Defensively ,due to his experience and ball retention can do a good job for us closing out games or making us more solid ,but not as replacement for Ohara, and probably only if we go with 3 in central mid field .

filham

Quote from: love4ffc on September 17, 2015, 08:50:45 PM
I'm going to disagree.  I think Parker can start with O'Hara.  Especially in games in which we need to play more of a defensive style.  Yes he is aging and probably should not be planned on for 90 minutes.  Still think he has something to offer. 
Yes , I think when Parker is fit, and that is a way off yet, Kit will be tempted to play O,Hara and Parker together in our midfield. They both have experience, skill and a very good work rate, they could just raise our midfield perfprmance above the championship norm. It will be well worth a try .

We still have a problem with the wide left position and O'Hara could fill this space and  tighten up the left flank.

WolverineFFC

No.

Parker is not the caliber of player the club can start if it is planning to finish in the top half of the table. He would have come in handy on Sunday to sub in for Tunnicliffe to help finish off the game, but I don't think he should be anywhere near the starting 11 at this point with the other players in the midfield the club has to choose from.