A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Maybe they should have stayed another season

Started by St Eve, September 17, 2015, 06:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which players did we let go a little too early?

Danny
25 (52.1%)
Brede
17 (35.4%)
Aaron
9 (18.8%)
Schwarter
20 (41.7%)
Gera
21 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

St Eve

i think all of them even if it was only a bit part. Their experience may have helped even though their playing time may have been limited

YankeeJim

Gera was the only one not past his prime. the others might have done a job, but nothing like they had in the past.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

JackyFulham90

Schwarzer & Murphy still had parts to play would have kept Murphy around the squad for sure he is a top professional

fulhamben

I think we kept all of those except Gera a year too long.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Southcoastffc

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

One Martin Thomas

Gera was never used well by Hughes.  Hughes clearly did not rate him.  He thus needed to move on. 

Brede's head went after that sending off at home to Stoke a while back and to me was never the same since.

The other outfield players' were all spent forces.

I thought we right to try and move on and get a good keeper in for Schwarzer.

Thus, Gera with a manager that rated him.

bog

Danny should never have been allowed to leave. His influence should have led to a coaching role and by now running the show. I wonder if Jol felt he to be in the way being so knowledgeable.

092.gif   

EJL

Quote from: One Martin Thomas on September 17, 2015, 08:43:46 PM
Gera was never used well by Hughes.  Hughes clearly did not rate him.  He thus needed to move on. 

Brede's head went after that sending off at home to Stoke a while back and to me was never the same since.

The other outfield players' were all spent forces.

I thought we right to try and move on and get a good keeper in for Schwarzer.

Thus, Gera with a manager that rated him.
Think it was Sunderland and the foul was on Cattermole.

FPT

I don't think any of the outfielders could have provided more than they already did. Zoltan blew out his knee again soon after rejoining West Brom, Danny Murphy may have been useful to have around the squad but the situation is similar to the one we find ourselves in with Scott Parker know, we should have had an understudy ready for the time Murphy's time was up but didn't have the funds too. Aaron Hughes was absolutely shot in his final year - you don't go from the Premier League to the A-League via the Championship for no reason - again, we had no younger understudy to carry on the role. Brede Hangeland too, injured his back and was playing in a more offensive (or trying to be) team leaving him exposed.

Mark Schwarzer though, could have done with one more year. He could have been an assured presence behind the defence that we sorely missed with Maarten Stekelenburg and David Stockdale. He helped Leicester stay up 18 months after leaving Fulham, I think we'd have benefitted from his experience and quality in goal. Plus, Jose didn't get him a Premier League winners medal for no reason.

love4ffc

Quote from: bog on September 17, 2015, 08:44:28 PM
Danny should never have been allowed to leave. His influence should have led to a coaching role and by now running the show.

092.gif   
0001.jpeg
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

The Rock

Moussa Dembele the first.

Conversation ender isn't it?

Lighthouse

The reason we were relegated was because we had a bunch of old players who no longer performed well. I agree with the sentiment that we just kept them too long. Then we made the situation worse by introducing a whole new set of players who had never played in the Country, let alone the league. Run by a manager with the reputation that was well founded of being out of touch.

Still let us not talk of these days again. It is like remembering listening to 'Sing Something Simple' on a Sunday night on the radio (one for the kids) knowing it is school tomorrow. Just depressing.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

St Eve

Quote from: The Rock on September 17, 2015, 11:56:51 PM
Moussa Dembele the first.

Conversation ender isn't it?
Not really. I meant older players who we let go. Dembele had an out clause and we didn't want him to go

Andy S

:dead horse:They all went at the right time it was their replacements that were wrong

love4ffc

Quote from: Andy S on September 18, 2015, 12:58:33 AM
  :dead horse: They all went at the right time it was their replacements that were wrong

This could be said for all but Danny in my opinion.  Think he was great for Fulham and could of slid into a player/coaching role.  It could of meant we had some continuity at least over the last several years.
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

F(f)CUK

The year after Schwarzer left Boro they went down and same for us.

MJG

I think apart from Gera their time was up when they left.

Maybe could have got another 6 months from Murphy but because his contract demands he was not staying. Also its telling that at Blackburn he was pretty poor and a that was at championship level.
Hangeland has never been the same since he had the injury and when Hughes had not played. One completed the other for us and neither looked that great without the other half of the Thames Barrier next to them.
Schwarzer gave us good service but you see things in a keeper as thay age and another whole season would have clouded our view of him as more mistakes became prelevant. It was time for a change and we had the GK in Stockdale ready to replace him, but oh no Jol has to go and spunk £5M on a GK made of glass just because he was dutch, when that money could have used better elsewhere.

And Gera was driven out by Hughes. Jol asked him to stay but said he had given his word on his move.

Burt

I think it was the right thing actually, all of them were past their prime. The issue was that the club didn't make the changes required to rejuvenate the squad incrementally over a longer period of time. By the time they realized there was a problem, it was too late...

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: MJG on September 18, 2015, 07:59:47 AM
I think apart from Gera their time was up when they left.

Maybe could have got another 6 months from Murphy but because his contract demands he was not staying. Also its telling that at Blackburn he was pretty poor and a that was at championship level.
Hangeland has never been the same since he had the injury and when Hughes had not played. One completed the other for us and neither looked that great without the other half of the Thames Barrier next to them.
Schwarzer gave us good service but you see things in a keeper as thay age and another whole season would have clouded our view of him as more mistakes became prelevant. It was time for a change and we had the GK in Stockdale ready to replace him, but oh no Jol has to go and spunk £5M on a GK made of glass just because he was dutch, when that money could have used better elsewhere.

And Gera was driven out by Hughes. Jol asked him to stay but said he had given his word on his move.

Ditto above.

Also, it seems there was a concerted effort by the club to clear out aging/high earning players so Jol could bring in his own aging/high earning players.

snarks

Think they all went either at the right time or a year too late. I was delighted with the decision to sign Stek. I really did think that was a great buy. I though VDS no 2. However once he got injured, his confidence went, never to return. Then it was one injury after another. He's doing OK at Southampton, they seem to rate him.