watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How much in football is an accident

Started by Andy S, September 19, 2015, 10:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Lets look at it Roy Hodgeson The year we stayed up at Portsmouth we needed to win our last three games and did even after being two down at Man City
Roy Hodgeson The following year we went to the final in the Europa cup with almost the same team.
There are many other comparisons throughout my time watching Fulham like odd tap ins and deflections even balls that cross the line and are not given. so in my opinion it is all about luck

dannyboi-ffc

You missed out the season in between where we finished 7th, our highest ever finish in our history which qualified us for Europe.

I personally think you make your own luck so no it isn't 'about luck'. If you have 80% possession but only have two attempts on goal whilst your opponent has 8 shots with their 20% and one of their shots takes a massive deflection and goes in is that luck? I say they deserve it for trying to score.

What we do is keep the ball meaninglessly and go nowhere. We never shoot or take a chance. If you have a negative mind set you very rarely get lucky because all that worries you is losing and not trying to win. Take the Blackburn game for instance, 2-0 up at half time and we sat on the lead. Even when we start off well we end up inviting pressure because we are negative and boring. We always concede for a reason

Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Lighthouse

Well we live in multiple Universes and multiple realities. So somewhere Fulham are overlords of a civilisation based on the Prem. You can make your own luck up to a point. But there is a point where it is down to blind luck. Everything said and thought changes the future and history is written by the victors.

But we all look for the reason why things don't work out for us. We are not capable of accepting that failure is a bit more complicated which is why we have a democratic system that has us changing our Government every so often and rewriting what they failed or achieved.

Same with football. Has to be one mans fault why we failed. Even if he wasn't on the field it is down to him. We like things nice and simple. Some laugh at the concept of a God but believe in multiple Universes. Or laugh at the concept of multiple universes and believe in a God.

But we all just an itch on the back of fleas leg. Life is what you make it. But you have no control on the materials you have.

Well that seems all clear to me.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

dannyboi-ffc

By the way I think the players are just as much to blame as Kit for this. We don't have many leaders that encourage a shot or want to take a gamble. We are a very safe backwards sideways team hence why we are so inconsistent. You don't win the lottery if you don't enter it and sometimes it would be nice to see us go a bit mental and throw 4 up front lol.

Oh how I long for the days of beating Norwich 5 or 6-0
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

ron

That old chestnut about luck by Arnold Palmer (or was it Gary Player ?);

"I'm always called a lucky golfer. The strange thing is, the more I practise, the luckier I get...."

Drilling was Hodgson's strength, up to a point when every man knew what he had to do instinctively.

Time to have them all out there for hours on end, facing incoming corners and free kicks....

nose

on a given day luck and accidents can affect a game
i have seen plenty where we were better or worse and yet the less good team ended up winning... no problem with that, part of the beauty of the game.

however

fulham's problems are endemic, systematic, hydromatic (oh dear turned into a song from grease which is about as much sense as our defence at set pieces!).

in the cool clear light of day since mr khan took over we have gone backwards because he has yet to prune the deadwood from our board of directors. the CEO remains in place having been in charge for Jol/rene/nmagath and mitro to name but a few errors... whilst our ceo remains it clearly indicates to all at the club that abject failure is acceptable.

we now have a very nice man in charge of the team that clearly loves the club, but he is out of his depth and contrary to the fiction written on this board so often, has assembled a very sub standard squad that doesn't even know how to do the basics such as mark at corners and set pieces, which is a fundamentally simple thing every sunday morning player can do... we also don't have players on the posts at corners, another simple improvement.

we have a manager that when a player is man of the match against derby, scoring on the day, he then encourages him by dropping him for the ever hopeless hugo in the next game. what does that say to the other players, the only other time i have seen such poor management was when branfoot dropped jupp after his call up to his national side (I thought I would never see such stupidity again)... we need to get some proper experienced football people in to run the club.

i think mr khan thinks he is running a 'franchise' with a team 'rosta' rather than a club with a squad.

we need mr khan to show up, give some visible leadership and try a little harder to understand what makes a football team work...

i am not a lover of sam's style of play but at least if we get him, and we should, he would restore order and structure and we may climb the table

we are going backwards and if we stay as we are I foresee league one.

I have no faith at all in the senior management of my club and i doubt kit will last the season, I predict the change will come at the most inappropriate and device moment.

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Nero

You can have a bit of good luck and a bit of Bad luck but over the course of a season its not going to make a lot of difference to your league position at the moment we are sitting higher due to the Blackburn Result.

A good manager will find what the problem is and fix it a bad manager will just put it down to luck and hope it changes by itself. After a year I think we know which camp Kit is in, Roy managed to get relegation fodder into a unit in less then a year and finish 7th and people tell us we cant get promoted this year, You can if you get the right man for the job

RaySmith

We were lucky in the Great Escape, but the attitude and style instilled by Hodgson, and implemented by the team,  helped us take advantage of it.

Whatever Roy said to the  players ay half-time at City worked, but we needed good fortune as well to bring off such an amazing comeback. Similarly the Pompey game.

If we'd missed just one of those goal chances, we could have gone down, and then Roy would have been the fall guy - a useless manager.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: RaySmith on September 21, 2015, 07:05:22 PM
We were lucky in the Great Escape, but the attitude and style instilled by Hodgson, and implemented by the team,  helped us take advantage of it.

Whatever Roy said to the  players ay half-time at City worked, but we needed good fortune as well to bring off such an amazing comeback. Similarly the Pompey game.

If we'd missed just one of those goal chances, we could have gone down, and then Roy would have been the fall guy - a useless manager.

Roy would not have been the fall guy, or called a useless manager, if we had missed one of those chances, I have never heard such rot. As it happens we scored three to there two, and we came back from the dead, and I was there with my wife daughter and three sons, the cat had to stay at home. We will never forget that day. I cannot remember a single game under Symons that I want to remember.
There is no comparison between Roy and Kit, Symons isn't fit to lace Hodgsons Carpet Slippers.
Roy has managed at the highest level, Symons never will, cause he is not made of the right stuff. You thought Magath was the second coming of Jesus, don't make the same mistake again with the present manager.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

nose

We were lucky in the Great Escape, but the attitude and style instilled by Hodgson, and implemented by the team,  helped us take advantage of it.

Whatever Roy said to the  players ay half-time at City worked, but we needed good fortune as well to bring off such an amazing comeback. Similarly the Pompey game.

roy stubbornly didn't want to use kamara but finally had to roll the dice and kamara saved us at  city.
it was a pity the two did not see eye to eye

Holders

Quote from: nose on September 21, 2015, 07:27:21 PM

roy stubbornly didn't want to use kamara but finally had to roll the dice and kamara saved us at  city.

That was a very memorable turning point of the season.

nose

Quote from: Holders on September 21, 2015, 07:29:07 PM

i am now going to tell you what really happened. first half i was listening in the kitchen, disaster

second half i was lying in the bed... first goal went in the wife and my son ran in but i sent them back to sit where they were, and they went...2 2 they foolishly rushed back..i sent them away...3  2 they stayed where they were!

i realised lying on the bed was the thing

Holders

Quote from: nose on September 21, 2015, 07:31:34 PM
Quote from: Holders on September 21, 2015, 07:29:07 PM

i am now going to tell you what really happened. first half i was listening in the kitchen, disaster

second half i was lying in the bed... first goal went in the wife and my son ran in but i sent them back to sit where they were, and they went...2 2 they foolishly rushed back..i sent them away...3  2 they stayed where they were!

i realised lying on the bed was the thing

First half I was in the shed, second half in the garden so the garden was the answer in my case.

Woolly Mammoth

Well for a start, I can confirm that Sepp Blatter was an accident.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Barrett487

There is no such thing as an accident. Unfortunate outcomes are either the result of poor judgement, poor execution, or errors.....

Andy S

Fulham were 2-0 down I went to the shops feeling miserable. Didn't feel like looking at the final results of anyone. Got home still feeling really fed up and my son enthused about the final result. I said to him I'm booking the tickets for Portsmouth. It will either see us relegated or it will be one of the greatest footballing days in our history. I didn't know that the really big one would be the following season. Thanks Roy

Forever Fulham

Guys like Clint Dempsey make their own luck. 

colinwhite

Luck always plays a part but as my dad used to say after being told he was "jammy git " having just beaten me (again ) at snooker ,...... "its  strange you know because the better i get the luckier I become ! "

extremely annoying , but true nonetheless.

MJG

Luck in the short term plays it part. But over a season I wouldn't say it evens it's self out,  but a club and even a players level becomes clear. You don't get relegated because of bad luck,  or automatic promotion on good luck.