watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Play and formation

Started by love4ffc, September 22, 2015, 01:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

love4ffc

My thoughts on how we play and our formation going forward.

Please remember this is just my opinion.  I would like to hear your thoughts and opinions with hopefully no "are you stupid?" or "are you crazy? statements".  Don't get me wrong I don't mind some friendly banter but I would like some real reasons and thoughtful responses as to why or why not this makes sense.   

Wanted to get this out sooner but I've been waylaid most of the day with a hangover.  Don't ask. 

Overall
It was great to see our lads actually knocking the ball about.  Yes there were some wayward passes that got away from the lads and yes I know possession does not equal goals/wins.  Still it was nice to actually see some controlled passing.  What was lacking in all of this possession were players going 1v1 and actually trying to drive the ball at Sheffield.  Also missing were direct runs for players looking for balls to be played to feet.  While it was nice that Fulham has less route one play, it would be even nicer to see more Fulham players getting into the attack.  Did see Dembele' trying to do some quick flicks or give and goes in the box but player were just not on the same wave length.  Do think if he could start doing this more with the likes of Ross that there could be some great goals in our future.  Currently though it seems like the only way we can score is through a cross or chip into the box.  Ends up making things all too predictable for opponents.

Defense
As most of you seem to realize there is most definitely a lot of basics missing from our defense.  Basic things like positioning, player covering and communication.  The latter being one of my biggest pet peeves.  If a central defender has to float out wide to help provide cover or to defend, then a central midfielder should be dropping back into central defense to help out.  This does not seem to be happening and instead we are allowing multiple attacking players to make free runs into the box.  Again basic stuff. 

Movement
This actually goes with attacking and defending.  There were several times where I felt we were just too relaxed during the game.  It was like the players were saying "I did my job, now I can relax".  In reality the players need to be thinking about how they can offer support for their teammates.  This is where I love O'Hara's movement off the ball.  From what I could see he is always on the move looking to get into space so that he's an option.  We need more players that do this and not just by constantly dropping off the ball so we can play it back.  I would rather see more attacking movement forward so we can put balls through or to player's feet.  Seems we hardly to almost never do that.   This brings me to Fulham's movement leading up to our second goal.  I really thought both movement off and on the ball was absolutely fantastic from our players.  It had all the aspects one wants to see in an attacking side.  We had loads of movement from the players off the ball adding lots of support and options for the players with the ball.  We also had some great 1v1 footwork from Jazz which beat two defenders in close quarters.  Last but not least we had O'Hara in the right place at the right time to provide a lovely cross.  A cross that, and this is the most important part for me, had not just one player waiting in the box but three players.  Having those three players rather than just one is what made it hard for the defenders.  Too many times we only have one player in the box, or if we are lucky two.  One would think it would be common sense that the more players we send into the box the harder it will be for the opposing team to defend.  I really want to see more of this kind of play from Fulham.   

Transistion
As stated above there were a lot of times were I thought players where just walking and not providing support for their teammates.  Along with this is our transition from attacking to defense and back to attacking again.  I would like to see more hustle on the field.  When we lose the ball from an attacking play I would like to see more of our players quickly dropping off.  I'd like to see our midfield dropping in and plugging holes preventing attackers from making runs into the box that are causing our back four so many problems.  I want to see the midfielders going with those attacking players that are making runs into the box and I'd like to see them staying goal side of those attacking players.  I'd also like to see more players hustling when we have a breakaway offering support.  Rather than just the one of two other players.  To me there should be a good six or seven moving with the play that can constantly offer options going forward.  Again I want to see more of this and less of "I'll provide support in the back" so we can keep the ball and knock it around in the back. 

Staying strong
Too many of our players seem to be getting knocked about and it seems way too easy to knock them off the ball.  This is the Championship and players need to, and should anticipate, accept that the minute they have the ball at their feet they are going to be clobbered.  I want to see quicker passing with more one and two touches. For me this would mean less passing the ball, receiving the ball and holding up the play.  The faster we play the ball and press the attack, the more I believe we'll get our opponents on their heels and making mistakes that we can capitalize on.  We really need to toughen up and put some fire in our step if we are going to win games in this division.

Captaincy
Currently Ross has the arm badge and I am not knocking him.   I think he has made an ok captain, but not a great one.  I, like many of you, would rather see O'Hara wearing the arm badge.  My reasons for this are simple.  I think O'Hara has more fire in his belly currently.  That fire I think could be transferred and instilled into from him into the rest of the squad.  Along with his desire to play hard and give everything to the cause is his positioning on the pitch.  With him sitting more in the midfield I think has a better view and idea of what needs to be done on the pitch.  Whereas Ross is, or should be, sitting more up top making himself available for attacking plays. 

Formation
After watching the Sheffield game and seeing what still passes for defending, I am of the mind that we (I mean Kit) should try something new for the Stokes game.  I would like to see one of two formations. 

5-3-2
                     Dembele'    Smith

LVC                       O'Hara             Tunnicliffe     

Husband                                                  Jazz
                  Ream     Burn    Stearman   

Reasons:
Defending would allow us to have five back with hopefully the midfield dropping in to help plug holes.  Would also hopefully do away with unmarked players in the box.  Jazz could connect with Tunni and hopefully provide width done the left side.  Want the same for Husband on the right.  Hopefully this will allow for lots of crosses.  O'Hara becomes our number 10 controlling the midfield and hopefully feeding Dembele' and Smith. 

4-2-3-1
                    Smith

LVC               Ross           Woodrow

O'Hara      Tunnicliffe

Ream     Burn     Stearman       Jazz

Lonergan 

Reasons: 
For defense again I am looking for better cover on those attackers making runs into the box.  This is the reason for the two holding midfielders.  Who I am hoping will also help with dropping in to plug holes in our defense.  Also looking for Ream (with his passing ability) and Jazz (with his ability to make runs done the side) to help be link ups between defense and offense.  Both holding midfielders would also obviously be looking for Smith as our target man. 

Obviously with both formations other players could be dropped in.  Especially if we want anyone to get a bit of a rest for Friday.  Both formations however are aimed at trying to stop the leaking goals and hopefully get us more in to the attack. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?