watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I'm proud of you Fulham

Started by dannyboi-ffc, September 23, 2015, 12:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboi-ffc

How Fulhamish is it that I gave an open honest opinion of my concern that we are losing our charm, our character and our connection with the team. And then the very next game it seemed to be back!

Although we lost there was only one team worthy of winning in my eyes. I can see just why Stoke were in the bottom 3 and on another night I think we could have scored 5. It was just one of those days where nothing was going in.

The team gave everything they had to that game and when they stepped it up a gear or two in the second half Stoke couldn't cope. Their effort was acknowledged by the crowd who in turn got right behind the team and it was the best atmosphere for a long time. Perfect timing ahead of a massive game on Friday. I loved the cheesy quiz at half time especially the countdown conundrum. With the famous clock countdown, it was so stupid but it put a smile on my face. It was very Fulhamish.

Credit where it's due to Kit as well, we have often come out at half time and seemed demotivated but this time around we had the fire in our bellies. For the first time I saw a superb tactical change. I think everyone in the ground knew Tunnicliffe and Dembele would come on at some point but I assumed for Matilla and Woodrow. The fact he put LVC on the wing and gave him the freedom taking off Kaca instead worked very well. And LVC looks so much happier further forward as he isn't restricted.

Had O hara played we would've won but it was nice to see Matilla. He looked nervous and a bit clumsy but he grew into the game and considering he cost peanuts, I don't think he is a disastrous squad player.

It was nice to see Hyndman, great little player but Kit is right to limit his game time if he doesn't feel the lad is committed to us. I don't know the lad but with a bit of guess work I would say it's the right decision.

I know it was a weakened Stoke side but even when the likes of Shakiri came on we seemed to get even better. We wasn't scared of them and we didn't show them any respect. I thought Richards was motm, absolutely superb followed by LVC and the rest of the back 4.

Pringle had a mix of shocking deliveries and world class ones but I will focus on the positive. If he can keep that up I think it will make us a better team. I thought the back 4 worked really well, we looked stronger with Burns height and Ream is so good on the ball. Not sure what to do with Husband and Garbutt because I think defensively that was the best we have looked this season.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the game and found it robbery that we didn't at least get extra time. We'll done to the club including the media team who thought up the countdown idea, that was hilarious.

Finish off by saying how on earth did LVC miss that open goal but more to the point, how on earth did the ref think McCormack's fly kick wasn't a foul on Given lol!

COYW!  I'm very tempted to go Friday now,  it's my daughters birthday but as long as I'm there in the morning and after school it won't hurt...  will it???  049:gif
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

cmg

Good to get some in-depth feed back from someone who actually witnessed the match.
A friend of mine who was also there last night expressed much the same kind of sentiments as yourself. I have rarely heard him so enthusiastic in recent months.

I have been driven to distraction by the number of largely adverse critiques from correspondents who have been no nearer the events than the noisy end of a radio.
While it is quite understandable to express disgruntlement at the bare result of a match without seeing anything of the action, to give detailed analysis, positive or negative, of individual performances, managerial strategy and overall effort based solely on a radio broadcast is somewhat akin to me providing a treatise on the Napoleonic Wars based only on hearing Abba's rendition of 'Waterloo'. 

Burt

Friday is a "must attend" game...

It will be a good test of the spirit of the team to see if we can bounce back from two consecutive losses.

nose

Quote from: cmg on September 23, 2015, 02:26:19 PM
Good to get some in-depth feed back from someone who actually witnessed the match.
A friend of mine who was also there last night expressed much the same kind of sentiments as yourself. I have rarely heard him so enthusiastic in recent months.

I have been driven to distraction by the number of largely adverse critiques from correspondents who have been no nearer the events than the noisy end of a radio.
While it is quite understandable to express disgruntlement at the bare result of a match without seeing anything of the action, to give detailed analysis, positive or negative, of individual performances, managerial strategy and overall effort based solely on a radio broadcast is somewhat akin to me providing a treatise on the Napoleonic Wars based only on hearing Abba's rendition of 'Waterloo'. 

i wopuld have been there and had five tickets but a familly comitment kept me away.
it is possible to comment on an event you have not actually witnessed but \i do bow before the fans that went and actually witnessed the game.
BUT
even without being there for that one encouraging game... i still think that the substitutions were in error, i would have gone with three forwards and changed to a more direct style of play. from what i understand we changed personnel but kept the system the same.

if the progress translates into more of the same ion the next game or two, wonderful. However, we all know we are struggling to put two consecutive halves of football together.

i do think it would be a shame for a forum such as this to discredit anybody for commenting on another home defeat to a poor premiership reserve team (alright weakened team) even if we couldn't attend. but I have absolutely noted the enthusiasm of people that went and am at least sensible enough to hope the renewed enthusiasm they are injecting is the start of the turn a round.

MJG

Quote from: nose on September 23, 2015, 02:35:33 PM

i wopuld have been there and had five tickets but a familly comitment kept me away.
it is possible to comment on an event you have not actually witnessed but \i do bow before the fans that went and actually witnessed the game.
BUT
even without being there for that one encouraging game... i still think that the substitutions were in error, i would have gone with three forwards and changed to a more direct style of play. from what i understand we changed personnel but kept the system the same.

if the progress translates into more of the same ion the next game or two, wonderful. However, we all know we are struggling to put two consecutive halves of football together.

i do think it would be a shame for a forum such as this to discredit anybody for commenting on another home defeat to a poor premiership reserve team (alright weakened team) even if we couldn't attend. but I have absolutely noted the enthusiasm of people that went and am at least sensible enough to hope the renewed enthusiasm they are injecting is the start of the turn a round.
You said this last night about the subs, and yes we kept the same system, but you miss the point that we did play better anyway. Dembele(who you dont like) did make a difference as did Tunnicliffe and LVC moving wide.
While I understand the tactical view you are expressing (when chasing a game) and something I may well agree he could or should have done, the 3 he made did make us better. No one can say it didnt, so I dont know how you can say they were an error.

Sgt Fulham

I cant go to games much at all recently but towards the end I felt the fulham feeling slip away. Great to hear you felt it last night and it is really reflected in your post. Its a special feeling that is hard to put into words.

Hopefully we maintain in on Friday and make another memorable fulham night!

dannyboi-ffc

Nose I am not a Kit fan but I won't ignore good things he does when he deserves credit. The change was not something I could see to be honest which made it even more pleasing.

I don't think 3 up top was an option unless we had Matt Smith to bring on. Woodrow had to go off, the only negatives from the game were learning once again just how limited, slow and weak Woodrow is. The other negative was McCormack was the ultimate let down as he missed two sitters especially the first and had it been someone like Matilla they would have been slated.

LVC made us more dynamic on the wing and Tunnicliffe added energy and a bit of drive. Add the pace and strength of Dembele and we really did attack with a purpose.

If you get to watch the highlights you will see how good we were in the last 20 minutes. Attack after attack and with only Kavanagh, Bodurov and Evans as his other options I'm not sure any manager in the world could have done any more to try and win.

Hope Smith is back soon for the bench, when Burn went up top he won every header and really caused problems. He hit the bar with a sweet half volley in the last second and Given made save after save before that. This period was also when Pringle's deliveries turned Beckham like. We just lacked the premier league finisher of a Crouch who got one chance and scored.

Ross McCormack to me is not good enough for the premier league though and that is a bit scary considering how important he is to us. We have a long way to go but onwards and upwards. I was very proud of them!

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

gezkc

Good post and as CMG said, interesting to hear some informed analysis from someone who actually watched the match.

bog

snarks

I'm going to put a slight damper on things. I did think the first half was a bit of a non event. I don't think either side played well and it was almost a pre season friendly without the punch, having said that the back 4 didn't look under threat and matila won most of his tackles.

The second half was how I want to see the team play, the difference in drive Tunnicliffe gives was very clear to see, he won tackles like Matila did, but drove forward and was more direct. He also got a stupid booking, but it was "one for the team"

If and it's a big if, they play like that for the rest of the season, I would be absolutely delighted.

Kent Cassandra

Good post Dan, In the last. twenty minute I felt a goal had to come and if it did there was only one team going to win it.  Like you I wasn't going to go Friday as the wives relatives are visiting, but sod em... I need another fix.
Cornish Cassandra 1996, Don Quixote 2002, Kent Cassandra 2009.

nose

Quote from: MJG on September 23, 2015, 02:45:58 PM
Quote from: nose on September 23, 2015, 02:35:33 PM

BUT

You said this last night about the subs, and yes we kept the same system, but you miss the point that we did play better anyway. Dembele(who you dont like) did make a difference as did Tunnicliffe and LVC moving wide.
While I understand the tactical view you are expressing (when chasing a game) and something I may well agree he could or should have done, the 3 he made did make us better. No one can say it didnt, so I dont know how you can say they were an error.

here's the thing...
i understand and have to accept that the changes improved things but we still lost
my opinion remains that we also needed a change of tactics, it was a cup game and the gamble was one I would have taken. these types of thing are a judgement call, we may have played better but lost, I would have tried something different, in the way macdonald did and roy did when it was not entirely going our way... it's an opinion, no more no less

as far as dembele is concerned.. i don't really dislike him at all but I do not accept he is anywhere near as good as is being suggested by many posters. He is very young and has loads to learn, but his biggest shortcomings are that his first touch is generally poor and he gets away with sometimes because he is stronger than last season ... and my other issue is he still plays like a schoolboy that is used to being biggest, strongest and quickest.... he is not yet a proper team player. Both these things are clearly coaching issues.

My wife absolutely adores him, my kids do too but I think a center forward has to be able to receive the ball with his back to goal and hold up the ball and bring others into the game, he cannot yet do that and I think he would be better served by not being the automatic first choice, in other words i would let woodrow,  to being given the same opportunity to have a proper run in the team and see how develops. I would play ross leading the line with woodrow just behind him.

Fulham Tup North

For God's sake DB, make your blooming mind up.
One minute we're boring, the next we're so entertaining?
Sort yourself out and only post when you know what you think.
It's like living with a schizophrenic.
COYW.   
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

filham

I too was at the match and would endorse ever word Dannyboi has written.

Now if we can reproduce that form and if Ross can find his touch then we could all go home happy on Friday night.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on September 23, 2015, 06:56:05 PM
COYW.  

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

hovewhite

a really enjoyable performance by the bloys and we deserved extra time,keep up the standard on friday you whites.

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on September 23, 2015, 07:28:54 PM
Quote from: Fulham Tup North on September 23, 2015, 06:56:05 PM
COYW.   

Kent Cassandra

Congrats FTN, sorry I didn't give you a better game. Didn't come out in the first half I think due to recent bad results in the league and loss of confidence.  After a bit of hair dryer treatment at half time the second half was much better but there was too much of a mountain to climb. There were some comments from observers about you being a dirty Northern bastard but I have no complaints and wish you all the best in the next round.
Cornish Cassandra 1996, Don Quixote 2002, Kent Cassandra 2009.

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: Kent Cassandra on September 24, 2015, 01:54:29 PM
Congrats FTN, sorry I didn't give you a better game. Didn't come out in the first half I think due to recent bad results in the league and loss of confidence.  After a bit of hair dryer treatment at half time the second half was much better but there was too much of a mountain to climb. There were some comments from observers about you being a dirty Northern bastard but I have no complaints and wish you all the best in the next round.
I am not up here through choice!
But you pleasant comments are most welcome.