watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - ATM Scam on Putney High St

Started by King_Crud, September 30, 2015, 06:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King_Crud

So after the game last Friday I had a couple of beers then headed to Putney station around 11pm. Just before Putney station I used one of the Natwest ATMs, there's three of them on the front of the branch, I used the one furthest to the right. I put my card in, pin, request for £50, the machine chugged away for a while but then an error message came up, the machine held my card, then closed down. So I didn't get my card or my cash. On Saturday morning I cancelled my card.

I didn't think anything of it but when checking my account yesterday I noticed a withdrawal for £200 & £250 just after my failed attempt at £50. I contacted my bank, Nationwide, to report what I thought we fraudulent transactions. After abut 15 mins on the phone they identified they were fraudulent, they said I had been done with a "Lebanese Loop":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanese_loop

To Nationwide's great credit, they refunded me the money in 30 mins. When walking to Putney station last night I noticed the same group of ATMs and the one I used was out of order again. I wondered if someone else had been scammed.

So be wary when getting money out at Natwest on Putney High St. And if the machine does eat your card immediately call your bank, before you even walk away from the machine.

Woolly Mammoth

Can you believe it. I used the middle ATM at about 4am this morning at that Nat West Branch at Putney. I only needed a mini statement, not a withdrawal, but after reading your Post, I have called Nat West and made them aware of this, and canceled my Debit Card, and requested a new one just for precautionary reasons.
Thanks for the warning. These Bar Stewards are everywhere, with these methods.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Airfix

It is a shame that we have to take these precautions but I always take a good look at an ATM before I use it and, if anything looks even slightly out of the ordinary, I'll walk away from the machine.  I also use my wallet to shield my hand when entering my PIN number, even making it look like I am entering about eight numbers - only four of which are the correct ones.

Alas, as we become more advanced, the criminals just keep pace.

King_Crud

I usually cover my hand when typing my pin, no idea if I did on Friday as I'd had a few beers. I've used those ATMs loads of times as it's the first one out of the station, would never have expected to have an issue

alfie

I never ever use ATM's that are outside, but I do realise that it is not always possible to get in a bank before closing.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Andy S

I suppose it just about beats being hit over the head and having your cards taken by force. A terrible crime anyway. We are all so frightened of this type of crime these days that I thought I had been scammed on Friday when I received my statement that I phoned up straight away. They cancelled my card and told me to cut it up which I did. I then went into the deleted Items in the computer found the transaction which was in there due to the amount of junk mail I receive. So no card now until the new one arrives. So it is no fun.

Supermitch

I always check the slot before entering the card into an ATM in case a skimmer has been placed there.  I used to work for NatWest and at one of the IT departments in London there was an external machine in the building on Leman Street.  A skimmer was even placed in that and quite a few staff had card details cloned as a result! 

This though is a new one on me and thanks for the warning.

Logicalman

I had a fraudulent transaction via an ATM when I lived in the UK. Since moving over here I have steadfastly refused to use an ATM for anything at all, I don't even know my pin number! That may sound somewhat off the mark to some, but if ever my account is accessed via an ATM machine, then at least the bank are satisfied it was a fraudulent transaction, and easy to prove given no ATM activity ever occurring on my account(s).

There are fewer and fewer reasons to carry much cash these days, as bars, clubs, etc all are happy to run tabs against a card, and on the very odd occasions I do go to a bar that doesn't, or when I'm playing darts which invariably occurs in cash-only establishments, I can keep a reasonable amount of cash on hand for such occasions, or just plan ahead and nip into my local branch to withdraw as required.

Nothing against those that do use ATMs, I just have the opportunity not to use use, so I don't.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

The Equalizer

I don't understand why chip & pin was introduced, then with the advent of RFID, they did away with the PIN bit for transactions up to £30.

You can download free RFID readers for your phone and use them to take cash from anyone with a contactless payment card. Time to get the old tin foil in your wallets people!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc